Zero Punctuation: Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Just got one comment to make here. Great video, but when referencing the switches between stylus and button controls, there's a simple solution to make it easier to do. Simply hold the stylus between two fingers on your stronger hand (so mostly right hand for right handed people) and play as normal. That makes it much easier to switch when you need to use the stylus. I do it all the time and there's no problem :D

HadesWTF

Jun 4, 2008
Remake London 1969?

I think YES.

That was the best 2D GTA easily. And it was awesome.

HadesWTF

Jun 4, 2008
Al_ said:
I'm guessing the testcard (the picture towards the end whilst he tried the branston pickle creme egg) will have made little sense to non-british viewers? Possibly even no sense to younger British viewers. Hell, are Creme Eggs and Branston Pickle even common in the US, Aus and wherever else so many viewers will be?

If not: Thankyou Yahtzee. Thankyou for crafting a joke that can only really be got by us here in the UK plus random expats.

(I'm rather enjoying Chinatown Wars. The only touch screen bit that's annoyed me so far has been flat-lining people in the ambulance. Only time I've really felt the need to be using the screen and buttons at the same time, and I have considered holding a stylus- possibly the plectrum one from Guitar hero- in my mouth and smashing at the touch screen with my face. This may not be ideal.

Also, the toll gates are on ONE bridge. Only in one direction are they at the end of a long straight)
Yes, everywhere has creme eggs and branston pickle spread.

You arn't special.

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
Nishu said:
How the hell do you reply about a 5 minute video posted at 12:00 (EST) sometime before 12:05? It's amazing how this happens every week.
It's just firstism. Some people think getting the first post in a thread is some kind of achievement. If they made a game about forum trolling I'm sure it would be (Forumwarz doesn't count. That didn't have achievements)

Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars.

Watch Video
Any idea whether or not they sell Branston pickle in the States? All your frequent mentioning of it has made me a bit curious.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
So I uh...I have a confession to make

I never had a problem shooting who I wanted to aim at in this game. Ever. I can't realy comment on much of the other faults he had listed because apart from the POV problem, I didn't experience any of them so they'd all basically boil down to "I have a confession lol I didn't suffer the problems that the great and mighty yahtzee suffered"

Also this game kinda blew by fast for me but that was a breath of fresh air compared to the dragging "what is my motivation" crap GTA IV unleashed on us.

Also I too use the "hold the stylus in between your fingers" method and it works out great for me. The thing about the Stylus controls in GTA:CW is that there is only one moment where it interrupts normal gameplay awkwardly, and that's switching weapons, however Rockstar saw it fit to give players a bit of help there and have the game pause when that happens. Yes it's not terribly realistic but I have no complaints.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I love it when he makes fun of games I really like though I think we should recognize that GTA CW brought fun back to GTA.

And he LIKED GTA4?!!!? He should've at least torn that apart too; when he had his chance; a year ago.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
I love it when he makes fun of games I really like though I think we should recognize that GTA CW brought fun back to GTA.

And he LIKED GTA4?!!!? He should've at least torn that apart too; when he had his chance; a year ago.
Actually no he "liked" GTA IV, then disliked GTA IV, now it seems he doesn't know.

sargebw86

Apr 4, 2009
I like these reviews: funny and informative.

Ironically enough, the last GTA I played was the 2D game for the PS1, and it even had the London '69 expansion.

I had a DS at one point (looked like someone at Nintendo recycled a Virtual Boy to make its casing) and I didn't like having this tiny-ass stylus in my right hand because I felt awkward trying to hold it; holding the DS with one hand was fiddly enough, but after a couple weeks, I got sick of the dual-fiddliness and sold the system to the used game store.

Zukonub

Mar 28, 2009
RYjet911 said:
Great review as always. :)
wut a Yazi

But, no, this was a pretty good review. The first minute-and-a-half were great, but it quickly descended in quality once Yahtzee had to start actually reviewing the game.

Night_Wolf

Mar 25, 2009
I realy dont know what the hell people are getting at, I know that all of the comedic einsteine that is Yahtzee is in full force here but serriously! I only started not just chuckleing but outright laughing durring the whole Cadburry Cream egg bit but other then that just more chuckleing then normal. But i probly could have replicated this by mixing Yahtzee's GTA4 review with a review of GTA2 or somthing or a mashup of stuff. But none the less great job Yahtzee, sry about how your favorite type of oddity ruined an easter treat i consider allready ruined unless the cream in it is peanut butter or chocolate.

sueyed

Mar 20, 2009
You've convinced me. I'm going out tomorrow and buying some branston pickle.

On a side-note: great review.

KValentine

Mar 4, 2009
I had the choice of either buying this game or paying for textbooks I'm glad I stuck with the textbooks.

Rath709

Mar 18, 2008
He's not wrong about the need to constantly fumble for the stylus as opposed to using the buttons. It gets pretty frustrating.

Kstreitenfeld

Mar 27, 2009
yourbeliefs said:
I know Yahtzee typically focuses on the bad aspects of a game, but it still surprises me when he finds almost nothing good about games that are so lauded and praised by critics and fans.
He did say that all of the faults balanced out other faults to create a decent game. Not his exact words but you get the point.

For example: Shitty controls aren't so bad if the game is retardly easy. ect

AceDiamond said:
GonzoGamer said:

Actually no he "liked" GTA IV, then disliked GTA IV, now it seems he doesn't know.
Just because he rips on a game doesn't mean he hates it. As mentioned in the Gears of War 2 video, even with all the faults mainstream games are normally mainstream for a reason. It's just his review style to endless rip on what ever is flawed (more so then most critics).

DrFuzz

May 14, 2008
Once again this video refuses to fully load for me... something has changed in the last week, because this one and last week's videos don't load, but every single other ZP video loads up just fine. Very annoying.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
AceDiamond said:
GonzoGamer said:

Thanks for clearing that up.

Well, I can't keep up with someone who's even more indecisive than I am.
Then again, I get the same way about GTA4. It does look really nice but it's such a bare bones GTA experience, I can hardly recognise it as anything but a GTA clone without rampages, miniguns, tanks, and everything.