Zero Punctuation: Grand Theft Auto IV

gabrieldevue

Mar 12, 2008
@ myopticalzeal.

Thank you very much for the transcript. This time, I don't know why, I really needed it. Is it just my imagination or is he getting faster and faster?

This really becomes a habit. I enjoyed this review again very much without knowing the game (except from interestingly boring ads)

Jerakal

Aug 30, 2007
Heh, I agree with this review, the mindless repetitive "Make your friends happy missions" made me feel like I was playing another MMORPG.

OurGloriousLeader

May 14, 2008
mspencer82 said:
OurGloriousLeader said:
Also: A point he missed out was the complete lack of use for money.
Money has a lot of uses in Grand Theft Auto IV! You can buy clothes....and hotdogs...and more clothes...and hey, somebody has to pay for bowling.

Seriously though, you're right. Once you make your first 10 grand you're pretty much set for life in the GTA universe.
That's what I mean, it's more or less irrelevant when you become jacob's friend, because the discount on guns doesn't matter due to the ridiculous amount of cash. It's also silly because Niko main reasons for all the violence and immorality is his desire for cash - after the half million point you think he could stop and spend that finding his enemy!

gabrieldevue

Mar 12, 2008
I have one question left: Why is Jacob Bronowski mentioned? I am sorry, if that's a stupid question. I don't know his works.

Safe-Keeper

May 7, 2008
Wow, I just noticed that this thread and every other one on Page 1 has an average of 200 posts, while the two on Super Smash Brothers have over thousand. If that doesn't illustrate fanboyism, nothing does.

PS: Please include transcripts with every review if it's not too much hassle. English is my second language and while I'm fluent at it the reviews go pretty dang fast and there's always a line or two in every review I can't make out.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
i agree for the most part with yahtzee on this only difference is these problems he mentioned were dealbreakers for me. i tossed gta4 back to the store after my first weekend playing it. it just felt like the sims with crime and a couple sleezballs. i still can't understand how everyone aknowledges these problems but still gives the game a perfect review, even yahtzee says he still likes it and will keep playing it. i don't get it.

Kaos Incarnate

May 7, 2008
nightmare_gorilla said:
i agree for the most part with yahtzee on this only difference is these problems he mentioned were dealbreakers for me. i tossed gta4 back to the store after my first weekend playing it. it just felt like the sims with crime and a couple sleezballs. i still can't understand how everyone aknowledges these problems but still gives the game a perfect review, even yahtzee says he still likes it and will keep playing it. i don't get it.
Obviously it isn't a game for everyone, to be honest I had no idea what the TV advertisement was trying to make it look like.

Corbineau

Nov 20, 2007
NezumiiroKitsune said:
Oh yeah there all within 2 minutes. That explains it. I thought the admins had just found the old ban shotgun, and had some fun taking shots at passers by. Bravo, very astute mods/admins etc.
Arguably, that would be quite in keeping with the whole GTA theme.

Don't hate the mods, they're just trying to complete the quest!

Gisgo Elim

Feb 7, 2008
I actually liked how GTAIV swayed towards realism but the problem is that they made the story line inconsistent with the way the game is played. For instance the games starts you off as a former Bosnian, Serbian, with a troubled past trying to mend his ways. The fact that people just starting the game won't be able to drive without losing Roman's car's hood, at least, or the fact that they'll steal his car or worse yet other peoples cars without too much of a consequence. Yeah it's a GTA game but I'd like a game were the police would hound you for every crime until your high proirity then you'd have to lay low for a while or be jailed. It might be hard to do that in a fun way and probably isn't appropriate for a GTA game but they should work on something like that for a new game series.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Gisgo Elim said:
Yeah it's a GTA game but I'd like a game were the police would hound you for every crime until your high proirity then you'd have to lay low for a while or be jailed. It might be hard to do that in a fun way and probably isn't appropriate for a GTA game but they should work on something like that for a new game series.
I see where you're coming from but I think I'd find that to be considerably less fun to play. not exactly too difficult, it would just make for a less entertaining gaming experience. I worked in Hitman: Blood Money but if you applied that same mechanic to an open-world like GTA4, it'd really overcomplicate things.
On the other hand, Niko leaves a paper trail through the story missions that Louis Braille could follow in his sleep: signing up for a dating website and murdering a gay dude he meets on there; interviewing for a job at a law firm under his real name then killing his interviewer, and so on.

DeLukas

May 7, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
A few people speculate a GTA set in Australia, which would be totally fucking sweet.
Why would anyone want to use that wasteland that was barely good enough for a penal colony as the backdrop for a game about. . .oh. .. I see, that might work.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
He DID it!
Great review!
Now hoping for Gran Turismo 5: Prologue or the latest DDR
;-D

Giygas

Mar 1, 2008
I wonder if you'll review "The World Ends With You". Besides the BELTAN' and ZIPPARS style, it's bloody good game

Marriot

Mar 19, 2008
Even though with some nitpicking and living with all of the games for several years, GTA 4 is still a recommendable game to anyone who enjoyed the series or ones that are just starting to play the series.