Zero Punctuation: Guitar Hero III

Dimy

Dec 12, 2007
zerotrace said:
"Don't tell me I suck because I four starred Free Bird on hard"

You suck.

I completed Guitar Hero 2 on the release date within 3 hours...Then again, I'm one of those freaks you described.

And Raining Blood is easy once you can sort the HOPOs out.

In short...If you think the last tier is hard...Try beating Lou on expert (comes down to luck really), and then, complete Through The Fire and Flames.

You think you have wankers cramp?: http://zerotrace.blogspot.com/2007/11/ah-fuck-wanking-cramp.html

And of course...My Guitar Hero 3 stat page: http://www.guitarhero.com/accounts/235525

Good review though, kept me laughing :D
Is this post supposed to impress us or make us pity you because u spent all that time playing Simon Say's alone in your room?

DeusExMathias

Aug 17, 2007
Of course you're not gay, Yahtzee, of course you aren't... :p
/jk

Great video, Yahtzee! You are, as always, Tha' Man!

As one who has played a "real" instrument (if you can call a saxaphone a "real" instrument - which I'd rather not) I'd rather learn to play a real guitar than learn how to play a plastic one with buttons on it. I know that sounds worse than I meant it - I'm not trying to be disparaging of those who have the game and are getting "good" at it - I'd just like to learn to play the damn guitar instead of spending time to perfect a "fake" one. That being said, I'd like to at least at least rent GH3, but almost certainly won't.

Chis

Nov 28, 2007
o_O

*walks away, shaking head*

Edit: fair enough Funduke, I had my fair share of it at school as well. :p

Still, I have issues with Morello: he cannot physically do anything more than play the same vamp over and over, maybe then play a different one over and over, do a short one-note solo whilst doing some overly enthusiastic posturing... then play the first vamp over and over again. That's all he did on the first Audioslave album, at least.

I'll take the Mars Volta, thanks. (Although the Levellers are quite nice - Yahtzee you charismatic stallion, your taste in music is diverse and interesting! Hell, you've even gotten me to listen to Frankie Valli. The closest I ever got to doo-wop was the first Zappa album!)

Another edit: Any video featuring Pete Townshend in some way shape or form is worth seeing. More points to you, Mr. Yahtzee.

blackfly01

Dec 5, 2007
Sorry to interrupt, but I gotta say this : Great review, I loved how personal this one got. I must admit, I'm a whimp when it comes to Guitar Hero and holding that guitar makes me feel like a total chode (the kind who bring guitars to class and play it during break), though it is addicting; if anything I hope my friends haven't deleted the band I made on GH2, DonPachi.

Meophist

Jul 11, 2006
I was never that big on Guitar Hero, though admitedly my experience with the game consists of going to an EB Games, playing the game hooked up there, beating a song on medium and going away thinking "meh". But I think there would be a problem if there isn't a brick wall in a rhythm game. I mean, it should provide a challenge to everyone, even the most hardcore. And it's not like it'll be difficult to make more difficult note graphs; just add more. In any case, I just hope Konami brings out a console version of Keyboard Mania sometime in NA, even though it will never happen.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Chis said:
You know, the really good stuff, like Blue Oyster Cult, Ramones, Who, Kinks, Cream, Police etc.
Agreed - this is one of the additional reasons why I'm strongly preferring Rock Band. There is still a distinct lack of Clapton/Cream, but I'm really hoping that gets fixed in future download packs.

The other reason is that the songs are just charted a lot better, they're more fun to play (though admittedly not as difficult, if that's your thing). GH3 was obviously catering to the most hardcore, youtube-posting fans of the series by cranking up the difficulty level, but it really sucked some of the magic out of it. I bet a comparison of some of the dual-released tracks would be interesting.

Yerocha

Nov 3, 2007
Eh, Guitar Hero was never really my thing, although it does seem considerably popular with people who play nothing else.

ShmenonPie

Nov 15, 2007
LOL, Yahtzee came out of the closet in the latest ZP. Nobody in the northern hemisphere, but the sheep down there might be prejudiced against you.

Great review, keep them coming.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Virgil said:
I bet a comparison of some of the dual-released tracks would be interesting.
Have you seen the piece at Games Radar? [a href=http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=2007111592215587002&releaseId=2007041012041714057&sectionId=1006&pageId=2007111593413839052]Sounds like what you might be interested in.[/a]

thebrink

Dec 5, 2007
Sort of disappointed that GH3 was chosen as I knew the "it's so difficult" would HAVE to be pulled out at some time in the review. I'm sure more than a few people found that humorous because it's true for most. Hard is tough, I haven't five starred Raining Blood either, but I figure it's cool that the game has a roof that I may never reach (but damn well try anyhow). Overall I've had more fun with GH3 than Rockband (solo, in group RB is awesome *duh*) because the sequences are more fun. I really wanted to play don't fear the reaper in RB, I thought it would be fun as hell, it's not, I crank it up to expert and I still get the same braindead no skill chords (not that RB doesn't have some tough songs *gimme shelter*). I had more fun playing "The Seeker" than I did "Won't get fooled again" but once again, I'll point out no matter how boring the song is, playing in group with drummer/singer is worth the price of RB - it's just not very challenging at all.

Worth noting, I'm with my current GF (among other things) BECAUSE I play guitar hero. I 5-star all songs on Hard in GH2, so I consider myself above average to skilled.

Wistfane

Dec 12, 2007
Brodel2 said:
@am i the only person on the planet that think GH sucks?

No, not by a long shot. It's DDR for your fingers.
No you are not..... any person who play a REAL Guitar will tell you that its more fullfilling worthwhile and MANLY to play REAL guitar...rather than wanking little buttons and pretending to gene simmons....
Am dissapointed with Nazi..... ouups i mean Yazi... of all the games ithought he would see the obvious flaw with this one... but hey!!!.... as long as he will continue to make gay innuedos and will finally come out one day i will keep watching this stuff.... it makes me cry and gives killer ABS like from 300.... coz i laf so hard

Kogepan

Nov 9, 2007
Wow, I hope you're not gay, Yahtzee. There go all my wicked fantasies.

Great review as always. :D Thanks for brightening my Wednesdays with your dry, sarcastic wit.

Wistfane

Dec 12, 2007
Btw does he actually read this?... or does just counts the replies amd judges his succes by the number of replies he gets each week.... does he talk or have any social contacts or is he a hermit? living in some cave is Ozzy land somewhere?

eggdog14

Oct 17, 2007
Guitar Hero is best played while shitfaced with naked girls.

And yes, i went there.

It was awesome.

Wistfane

Dec 12, 2007
as far as i am theoretically informed thats not what you do when you are shit faced with naked girls.

fundude365

Dec 12, 2007
Wistfane said:
any person who play a REAL Guitar will tell you that its more fullfilling worthwhile and MANLY to play REAL guitar
Harsh man... HAAAAAAARSH! I have a great time playing Guitar Hero, because I can't play real Guitar (and learning it now would be too much hassle) plus, not owning the necessary console, I've only really played Guitar Hero in a Party Situation where it's great fun to watch people 'rock out'... band practices get tiring if you have a Guitarist that knows their stuff, coz their belting out the licks, riffs, etc. whilst you can't get a word in edgeways. Thus Guitar Hero can be more fun than Band Practise as you have no people with ability on Musical Instruments making you feel inadequate for only being there coz you can sing. (And incidentally a singing voice is a gift, whilst learning Guitar involves hard work so I think I win in the long run)

Mcmungo

Dec 12, 2007
What the hell.
I don't get it why people only call Guitar Hero players "freaks". There are people out there who play games such as WoW, Counter Strike, Halo 3, TF2 and maybe even Gears of War (if it is even good anymore) all day long. But no, nobody gives those people attention. Those people are the real freaks. And telling a Guitar Hero player to pick up a real guitar is like telling a CS player to pick up a real gun and blow shit up.

And yes, I made an account JUST to say that.
Anyway, the video was rather funny. Even though I hate people who refer to GH players as "freaks".
Oh, and Halo 3 is an overhyped piece of shit.