Zero Punctuation: Guitar Hero III

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Yahtzee and Maddox are quite similar, if you look. Both use copious amounts of sarcasm, swearing, wit and absurdity to make points and laughs. They also both seem to be awe-inspiring and hate-inducing at the same time.

I'm not saying Yahtzee copied Maddox, mind you. I'm just saying they're similar... and it's working for both of them. It being their style.

Anyway... I am confused as to why people are getting so defensive about G.H 3. It didn't seem that special to me, I have no idea who any of the "famous" people are and it just looks boring, to be honest.

I think the only good thing I can say about it is that it caused Yahtzee to make me laugh, which is the only good thing I can say about Halo 3, as well.

It's not System Shock 3, Mercenaries 2, Prototype or Duke Nukem Forever... why are there so many people getting worked up about it?!

Boricua_bob

Nov 8, 2007
Hmm...All I really thought of GH3 was that it was just an excuse to have a bigger playlist, and nothing more. They took out Clive Winston, Eddie Knox, Paradox, and replaced them with a 10 year old Midori, Elroy Budvis (WTF?), and MetalHead. I actually happen to like MetalHead, but I guess I will never understand why Midroi and Elroy (still...WTF?) had to be included. Multiplayer was practically left in the dust, even though Battle Mode was the newbie. But Battle Modes tends to be either very fun (if you throw no powerups at all or just sparringly) or very cruel for the dickheads that leave their Guitars hanging up whenever they got a powerup. To me, GH3 is basically GH2 on steroids (Even more so with the incredible difficulty on Hard Mode. DAMN YOU RAINING BLOOD!), but I still got it for the Wii since I never owned a Guitar Hero game.

Plus now that I hearing more about Guitar Hero for the DS (maybe it's just me), I'm actualy kind of damning the idea. I'd rather see the sequel of Elite Beat Agents be made. Thanks Yahtzee for that review. YOU ROCK!!!

...I need coffee.

Corbineau

Nov 20, 2007
Jeigan said:
Sorry, Corbineau I don't really have the time to read through five pages of messages. And that wasn't meant to rude, it's just the truth. It's quite nice to know, though :D
It's all good. :D We should start a band.

Corbineau

Nov 20, 2007
Boricua_bob said:
Plus now that I hearing more about Guitar Hero for the DS (maybe it's just me), I'm actualy kind of damning the idea. I'd rather see the sequel of Elite Beat Agents be made. Thanks Yahtzee for that review. YOU ROCK!!!
Elite Beat Agents sequel... oh yes now please. I'm curious as to how Guitar Hero would work on the DS, but I think more dubious than anything else.

keithburgun

Aug 1, 2007
Eh... this was the worst review yet... Always been a huge fan, but this review was neither terribly critical, informative or funny.

"I'm not gay!" c'mon. Stupid joke.

ps. Review Mario Galaxy!

-Keith

Ex Omni

Nov 21, 2007
Yahtzee just sucks at Guitar Hero III.

Seriously, besides hammering out achievements, there is absolutely no reason to play Guitar Hero on anything but expert. It's just too fucking easy. Guitar Hero is in the RYTHYM genre for a reason: you need to have a sense of rythym. If you don't, then either stay away from the game or enjoy the 1-note-every-five-minutes stylings of easy and medium.

I am pissed at the lack of Clive Winston, but as Judy Nails was my character of choice I'm more pissed that she has been completely slutified and turned all "hardcore" and shit. What happened to the fun-loving, cute little bundle of videogame character from Guitar Hero II?

Evilducks

Sep 20, 2007
jackolantern said:
that is absurd, sir.
No more absurd than telling people playing a video game to do the real life 'equivilent'. Spend what, 60 bucks for your latest FPS.. or a few thousand for a good rifle, not to mention the cost of ammunition, time at a firing range... Much like it would cost a great deal more and more time invested to learn a real guitar. The comparison is actually fairly similar.

jackolantern said:
but, the exchange of ideas is fruitful - much more fruitful than exercising hand-eye coordination in a very uninteresting and limited way
Calling anonymously posting on a message board about a video game review a fruitful exchange of ideas is about as silly as calling playing guitar hero a guitar training simulator.

Kronopticon

Nov 7, 2007
ive never played it. i cant say it struck my appeal, being able to play a real guitar an all. but a good review nevertheless.

TemjinStrife

Dec 13, 2007
I suppose I could be called a 'hardcore' GH player. I log more hours on Guitar Hero games than I do on just about any other type of games, although I enjoy the RTS genre and of course multiplayer Smash Bros.

I also play real guitar. OMG. Totally different things. Real guitar costs about as much as a next-gen console + GH + controller for a decent guitar and amp, and the guitar learning curve is MUCH steeper and more complex than the Guitar Hero curve... and you can't play any other games on your amp other than "let's annoy the neighbors."

I have been playing real guitar for about five years now and have prior musical experience with other instruments, and I still can't play "Freebird" or "Cliffs of Dover" on my real guitar. Hell, I can play War Pigs, but that's only third tier GHII, right? Honestly, comparing Guitar Hero to real guitar is like comparing Counter-Strike to paintball; there's a major cost difference between the two, and a reasonable increase in difficulty along with other distinctions.

Guitar Hero can also be a lot more fun as practicing real guitar by yourself is not always fun and can be quite frustrating. Also, having the whole "backing band" behind you in Guitar Hero is very satisfying, as is nailing "that tricky spot." It's like a jumping no-scope headshot to all you Halo players or killing twelve Zerglings with four Marines in Starcraft; that "YES!" feeling.

One of the main reasons I am attracted to Guitar Hero is because it is a very social game. It is easy to get people of all sorts to play with me, even (and especially) women. Try getting a girl with little to no gaming experience to play Halo or Starcraft or Baldur's Gate II and, even if they're willing to try, they get frustrated and confused very quickly. Guitar Hero, on the other hand, is easy to pick up, even for those with little to no prior gaming experience, but difficult to master.

I like the fact that there are hard tracks on GH3; however, I don't think that they should have been in the main setlist. The bonus songs are where the absurd finger-tying stuff should really go, and this is coming from someone who's 4-starred One and Cliffs of Dover, passed Raining Blood, and beaten the Devil. Also, I agree on the "WTF" for quickplay co-op. Online co-op and pro faceoff is awesome though...

I also agree on the negative effects of product placement and the generally ugly look of the game. The drummer in particular moves like a bad Disney robot. And, the new hammer-on system can be confusing. But, overall, there are a lot of great songs and great times to be had with it.

Guitar Hero actually singlehandedly revitalized my interest in gaming. Before Guitar Hero, I had fallen into a pattern of playing games to "beat" them, and not necessarily for fun. Guitar Hero really injected the "pure fun" back into the gaming experience for me in a way that the Wii was supposed to (but didn't for me), and for that alone I strongly recommend it, regardless of how suddenly successful or sold-out it is.

There's this conscious backlash against the "mainstream" and "successful" games, bands, and television shows in today's critical society; to that I say, get off your elitist high chairs and come down and have some fun.

lpneiman

Dec 13, 2007
Okay so:

1) Wednesday is no longer just "Oh my God, only two more days until I'm free for the weekend" day. It's "Gotta Have Yahtzee Day"

2) I fucking love you. Your videos are amazing, I love your wit and humor - it makes me smile when nothing else can, I swear.

So thank you for that.

-bows-

Stella Q

Nov 18, 2007
I can't believe people are offended by the "freak" comment. I highly doubt Yahtzee was taking a shot at hardcore gamers...in fact, he probably meant it as a compliment. Tiger Woods is a freak. Not because of some weird deformity or obsession, but because it seems like his body was created by almighty God to swing a golf club and his talent far exceeds what any normal person should be able to do, even with decades of practice.

Yahtzee wasn't saying that if you can beat the game on expert you are the type of freak that isolates himself in his basement for months doing nothing but play GH. He meant that you have a natural gift for that type of game...you should be grateful. Or maybe you should curse God for giving you a gift that is, on the whole, absolutely worthless compared to hitting golf balls and making millions of dollars. But you get the point.

thesaxmaniac

Nov 9, 2007
Getting it for xmas on pc...finally out on the RIGHT hardware. And don't worry, I won't be experiencing any of the slowdown that all of those noobs are having, I have a supercomputer. Anyways. Having the gh2 controller from the 360 and having it wired definitely sucks BALLS. But thats how commie bastards treat the pc. Oh well. At least I don't have to pay to play online.

Vitalix

Sep 27, 2007
At least he had the brains to use Cliffs of Dover. From 1990, me thinks. You folks alive in 1990?

Jeigan

Dec 13, 2007
Corbineau said:
Jeigan said:
Sorry, Corbineau I don't really have the time to read through five pages of messages. And that wasn't meant to rude, it's just the truth. It's quite nice to know, though :D
It's all good. :D We should start a band.
Heh, what would we call ourselves? Shadows of a Gentleman Thief?

DarthCat

Dec 14, 2007
I'd credit my ability to play GH
(ability demonstrated here: http://www.guitarhero.com/accounts/339806)
TO the fact that I play a number of instruments (so I play bass, not lead guitar... that doesn't make me gay - right? ...Right?) and that I've always been more musically inclined than most.

That entirely useless argument aside (I'd really just like to find more players at my skill level to compete against - more on that in a sec), I have to say my main gripe (yes, I definitely had the "way too hard" one at first, despite the fact that I'm apparently better at GH3 than GH2) is the fact that when you compile the difficulty along with the large number of "singles" tracks - that is, the very large number of songs from the last 24 someodd months(they feel like ads for the bands) and the other lingering issues, I really don't feel there enough content here to justify a purchase UNLESS you have friend(s) of comparable skill level (I don't) or you play online a fair deal (I do, though enjoyment varies by game mode - modes which don't force the opponent to play on the same difficulty level are heavily handicapped against the higher difficulty player, and are often exploited by gamerscore whores.)
Also, the achievements kinda suck a fair deal. did I mention that? I'm never gonna 1000 the game (well, I can't get 750,000 pts, anyways) because I have no desire of playing the game on Easy... gah.

Review was funny as always, regardless.

Also, I really didn't care for "Guitar Queer-o", as much as I like some episodes of South Park (See: most of the "Imaginationland" trilogy).