Zero Punctuation: Halo 4

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
Never been a huge fan of Halo, only played Combat Evolved on the PC and got bored halfway through. It's one of those game franchises where I just don't see what the fans see, good for you, I wish I can enjoy these games (or at least think I enjoy them).

Good video, had a good laugh at the "Weapons looking like toys".

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
Another example of Yahtzee neither hateing nor liking a game . The result is always a boring review, sorry dude .You should have reviewed Epic Mickey 2 or something.

Yellowbeard

Nov 2, 2010
OuendanCyrus said:
Never been a huge fan of Halo, only played Combat Evolved on the PC and got bored halfway through.
Man, I got bored before the opening cutscene was over and quit ten minutes later. Dull, dull, dull.

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
I understand how you feel, Halo is one of my favorite franchises but even I understand that it's not for everyone.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
"It's not Spunkgargleweewee" - Microsoft should put it on the front of the game's case.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
I like how most of the problems he had with Halo are reasons I love it. I can't disagree that they're there, I think they're awesome.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Doom972 said:
"It's not Spunkgargleweewee" - Microsoft should put it on the front of the game's case.
It should be name of Halo. Because, to me, that's the only thing going for it.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Yellowbeard said:
OuendanCyrus said:
Never been a huge fan of Halo, only played Combat Evolved on the PC and got bored halfway through.
Man, I got bored before the opening cutscene was over and quit ten minutes later. Dull, dull, dull.
Same here- got bored pretty fast, quit after meeting the flood (not because it was hard, but because it was boring)
Couldn't stand aiming system in this game (ditched automatics for semi-autos as fast as possible)
Although regenerating shield+non-regenerating health system was awesome- I'd even go as far and say that it was the best part of the game

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I've been waiting for an objective review which looks at Halo 4 as a game and not a "Halo game" for a while now and it was interesting to see Zahtzee's opinion (as ever.)

Some of the points raised here are quite valid, hell most of them are probably quite accurate, but the one thing I didn't find Halo 4 to be was boring. It was confusing, yes, but the relationship between the Chief and Cortana was enough to keep me interested, and probably because I actually liked the last 5 Halo games.

If the Chief has all the emotional range of a totem pole with a bucket perched on top then, well, anyone who followed the story will realise that was kind of the POINT in this game.

Yellowbeard said:
OuendanCyrus said:
I'm not knocking your preference in games but I don't understand what could be a more exciting first level for a game. You're a super soldier, the last of your kind, aboard a massive spaceship, in space, which is under attack from a persistent alien force. On paper that sounds like a pretty good start.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
That's something about Halo that's always perplexed me, the alien weapons. They all look so ridiculously like toys. When you envision alien weapons, do you think nerf guns with glow sticks on them? I don't. Also, why is it in every Halo game, human weapons always seem to be the best guns, or is that just me?

On another note, Halo 4 is the only Halo game since 2 that I'd say was decent. My only gripe is difficulty. I choose legendary difficulty and it isn't even difficult, just inconsistent. As Yahtzee pointed out, you kinda just die from random bullshit.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Balkan said:
Another example of Yahtzee neither hateing nor liking a game . The result is always a boring review, sorry dude .You should have reviewed Epic Mickey 2 or something.
With a game like Halo 4 I'd say there's a high chance it was simply expected of him - by fans or the Escapist. It's not like those times where he does a retro review or two indie titles that drew his eyes.

Jungy 365

Sep 13, 2010
It's interesting watching this as a fan of the Halo series. A lot of what he says here is absolutely true. Hell, pretty much all of it is, and yet, I don't feel like that diminishes the series for me. It's still incredibly fun for me, and I enjoy it a lot most days, find it tedious some days, but, most of the time, I will feel better for the experience. It's a bit like when Yahtzee did that Pokemon review a while ago, as I can't help but laugh as something I love gets ripped apart; I think that's because I've invested so many hours into these series that the problems that are there are so familiar to me, and it's good to laugh about it and acknowledge them, otherwise you're clinging to something claiming that it's 'perfect' when all it really is is 'enjoyable for some'.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
As a Halo fan since day one I can understand his criticisms. There where only three types of Prometheans for example, there should have been some Forerunner vehicles and more enemy types. Prometheans are digitized life forms and can take any form but we only got three types. One of Halos strengths was the varied Covenant enemy types, you needed to approach them differently according to which enemies where in the groups and what they where armed with. Every fight with the Prometheans in the late game was the same, earlier on there mixed groups of Covenant and Prometheans which where fun.

The story is also thin for non Halo fans, you need to read the books and watch websisodes and also find terminals in the game to get the context to everything that happened. For example Yahtzee mentioned the ships XO was sympathetic, he was acting that way for a reason and the Captain was an arse for a reason too.

Non Halo fans will probably find nothing in Halo 4 to change their minds though, most Halo fans liked the game it seems and support 343i. The only thing I disagree with this review is Yahtzee said its an ageing series, it isn't the community is still epically active and the series is still full of energy.