Zero Punctuation: Halo: Reach

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
Azaraxzealot said:
they made a reference to Oni in the campaign (Oni Sword Base was a place you could fight)
I'm not sure that's a reference. In Halo, ONI simply stands for "Office of Naval Intelligence."

Also, inb4 inevitable Half-Life bashers :\
Well, it's STILL more than likely a reference, because out of EVERYTHING Bungie could have called the base... why ONI? Why Office of Naval Intelligence? Why not Naval Intelligence Office? or the Department of Naval Defense?

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
I'm surprised that people are surprised that Yahtzee was surprised that he didn't hate Reach, but that might just be that I've already gotten over my surprise at being surprised that I liked Reach rather than just having the usual amount of fun with a Halo game (ie. enough to allow me to finish it).

In other, Yathzee related news, I was surprised to find Mogworld at the bookstore near me (that has been surprising me with its lack of quality as of late) which I was surprised to find myself liking it (as usually I don't find good books written by people I like in a completely different medium), so great job with both that and the video, which I was surprised you did when I saw you also had spiderman in your bucket last time.

...I feel I'm no longer allowed to use the s-word for a few days now.

YoungZer0

Nov 28, 2007
EightGaugeHippo said:
I just noticed he didnt say anything was terible. A few flaws, But nothing major.
That's because Bungie never really changed anything in the whole run of the series. You can't complain about things that have been shit in the first one, since they have became part of the franchise.

LordXel

Sep 25, 2010
He thought it was OK? ... This is a sign the Halo series is getting better, and we should end it on this good note before we go George Lucas on it. (Ahem, 3D Star Wars) I'm buying this anyway because I liked the first three. However a bit of me is saying rent it first because ODST was rubbish in my opinion. By the way what was the last shooter that Yahtzee didn't totally hate on? Gears 2?

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
CronoT said:
orangeapples said:
I'm surprised. He didn't hate Halo Reach...
No, he hated it. But, it's nowhere near the level of hate that he has for games like Too Human and the Wolfenstein Reboot.

Also, I've never liked the Halo games precisely because there's no iron-sights aiming. In FPS games, I specialize in sniping and long distance single shot kills. So, a game that forces me to get up close with an underpowered weapon and stand there like a slack-jawed mental patient holds no appeal to me, whatsoever.
One, when taken in the context of the way he talks about video games, he clearly liked it but is annoyed by fanboys. Two, you clearly are bad at FPS games if you think that is how to play Halo. If you are a fan of headshot kills, most things in that game can be killed with three or less headshots on Legendary (the annoying setting full of artificial difficulty - seriously, the enemy is no smarter, just has more health), so there you go. Also, why would you ever get that close with a Spiker, the only underpowered weapon in the game?

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
That was a surprisingly fair review. Speaking as a Halo fan I thought the storyline was decent, but the characters weren't very well developed. I wish they had extended the space combat a bit and made the armor abilities a little more widespread (sprint and armor lock are bloody everywhere). Though some of the things Yahtzee mentioned were wrong (war had been ongoing for 25 years prior to the game's storyline and Microsoft marketing added the "combat evolved" thing), I'll forget them because he never was into Halo; to each his own. Sad he didn't talk about Firefight or Forge though.

Oh, Yahtzee? Any halo game after this: Go crazy. Like Kane & Lynch crazy.

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
I usually don't comment on Zero Punctuation videos because between the speed of my laptop and the frenzy of replies it usually means there's a whole new page of comments every time I click 'next'

However, I feel compelled to say I loved the imp in the master chief mask at the end. He was adorable.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
I guess this was a tough ZP to do, with the game getting excellent reviews everywhere it must have been hard to come up with something that wouldn't reduce you to being a regular joe halohater you can find everywhere. A good ZP, i liked it.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
So, Yahtzee, I've been wondering: what multiplayer games DO you like? I remember you saying once that you liked Team Fortress 2, but that it eventually fell out of favor, and we all know that you hate FPS fragfests. So when you are forced to make nice with the patrons at the Mana Bar, what games do you play with them?

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Sansha said:
The only thing I can say about this review is I'm sad that I have to wait another seven days to see him rip up Dead Rising 2.
why did you hate it? i wanna see him rip it up because i love to see people tear into the things i love (it's like watching a little kid throw a fit after getting something cool, yet not the thing they asked for, for christmas... so funny)

and on another note to everyone here who likes to troll on halo (i.e. 99.99999% of people posting here) this game was made to be more of a "Greatest Hits" of Halo and nothing more. If you were not a fan of the game before you're just wasting your breath and finger movements just to say you hate something that was made for someone else. It's not like any OTHER games came out recently that deserve the spotlight any more than Halo: Reach (looks longingly at Dead Rising 2)

just for that, go ahead KILL REACH! KILL! KILL!

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Well, mind=blown. I think he actually liked the campaign of Reach better than I did (and for me being the guy who lives on FPSs that's saying a lot). That's almost unbelievable. And also really cool.

Great review, Yahtzee, hope you did actually try the MP at least once, but it's probably impossible.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Lots of other people said:
Yahtzee liked Halo?
I think the words he used were "not even within spunking distance of classics".

That's not detest, rather than like.
For Yahtzee, it pretty much is.

Razavn

Jun 2, 2009
Hmm..I actually really liked his review and I agree with many of his points...however I did notice one glaring error (there may be more) in that he said Reach was where humans first encountered the Covenant...no...Harvest was, reach was towards the end if I am not mistaken and it was a crippling hit to the UNSC effort.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
I got through Reach in about 5 hours and I don't have any interest in the multiplayer because I can't afford it, plus I've seen what Halo Online looks like when other people have shown me. It's like having your computer read out youtube comments in various voices while being shot in the face and being called a "fag" because you couldn't give a toss about who you're pouring your bullets into.

I did enjoy the story; the acting was horrible; the pacing was erratic; the characters were disposable, one-dimensional, cardboard cut-outs; the levels were repetitive; the plot was predictable and the gameplay was exactly the same as it has always been. But I still enjoyed it because for once it wasn't sucking the big, green, amored dick of Master Chief, and that's something that should be commended.

Sparrowsabre7

Mar 12, 2008
Mr Companion said:
Its a good thing anybody who likes the Halo story has already bought reach otherwise the massive spoilers in this would probably drive them murderfrenzy. On another note it's nice to see Yahzee not completely shitting all over a game for once, even though in Halo's case I couldn't care less.
I think most Halo players know that Reach ends badly. Heck I'm barely interested in Halo and I knew back when 2 had come out. It'd be like watching SW episode III without knowing Anakin becomes Darth Vader.

Larsirius

May 26, 2010
DarkSpectre said:
I loved his reference to the characters hanging off the side of the helos. The funny thing is that real chopper gunners do that. I really don't understand why they have the minigunner on a blackhawk hanging out in the open just asking to get shot, but they do. Sometimes real life is as stupid as games.
When you sit with a mounted turret, seeing the targets is always nice.

Anyways, being a fanboy, I have to point out that it was never meant as the last Halo game, but Bungie's, and that Reach isn't the first encounter with the Covenant; soldiers have had a plenty of oppurtunities to become familiar with their vehicles they've been fighting the last two decades.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Undead Dragon King said:
That first pun at the end credits was the best yet.

"I don't know why you say goodbye, I say Halo!"
Agreed. I also enjoyed the Gay-lo Reach (Around).

I don't know why people are surprised by it not being ripped to shreds. It is by far the best yet, in my mind at least.