Zero Punctuation: Halo: Reach

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
that was the funniest ZP in a long time in my opinion, thanks Yahtzee!

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
YoungZer0 said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
I just noticed he didnt say anything was terible. A few flaws, But nothing major.
That's because Bungie never really changed anything in the whole run of the series. You can't complain about things that have been shit in the first one, since they have became part of the franchise.
Yeah, but Bungie has changed things. Halo 1 is very different to Halo Reach. Oh wait sorry, they still have sheilds and space marines and a few of the same weapons, thats the formula for shitness apparently.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
AssassinJoe said:
The jet-packs were pretty fun. But it was annoying how they weren't in a lot of the levels of the campaign.

At least it was annoying to me.
At least levels had them if I'm remember correctly, Exodus, and New Alexandria. That was enough for me. The jet pack was fun when there are now enemies around to poke holes in you. It was worthless in legendary, barely a second after take off you are dead. So, kill enemies first, then jet around, but by that time it was time to end the level, or leave the area of good use.

-------

Great, funny, and fair video.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Nooners said:
So, Yahtzee, I've been wondering: what multiplayer games DO you like? I remember you saying once that you liked Team Fortress 2, but that it eventually fell out of favor, and we all know that you hate FPS fragfests. So when you are forced to make nice with the patrons at the Mana Bar, what games do you play with them?
Guitar Hero for starters.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
"Same guns, same story, same enemies, same levels with a few minor tweaks and adjustments."

Yup. That completely describes my single player experience too.
What's really funny about the whole "space combat" thing? UT2004 did this Six fucking years ago. and it was just about as good to boot.

"Jet packs?" Tribes did it far better 10 years ago.

The other abilities are a reasonably cool mish-mash of the other Tribes 2 Pack equips, but with refined gameplay enhancements to bring them into the modern era (for those who couldn't tell, it's the one part of the game I actually like). Armor Lock is much more useful than I thought it would be, and the Bubble Shield is basically a "I've got a shotgun, and I will man-rape you with it regardless of your wishes."

However, this leads into my main problem with Reach, and Halo in general: It was built from the ground up to be multiplayer and multiplayer ONLY. If you aren't jumping online, you are essentially wasting your money unless you happen to love the story.

The Firefight mode was only able to hold my attention for so long; fun as it was initially I eventually got tired of it since every encounter turned into "Snipe snipe snipe, swap, grenade, spam spam, melee, retreat, reload, repeat".

So for me, the only good thing to come out of Reach is that it looked pretty damn good on my new 55 inch TV.

For those ready to improperly wield the hypocrite card ("If you didn't like it, why did you play it?" My favorite circular-logic chestnut) no, I don't own the game. I would never willingly part with my money for a Halo title; every other gamer on the planet owns it by now, and a few of those many people happen to be my friends.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
Not a huge fan of the series, everything that came after Combat Evolved just sucked majorly, although Halo 3 multiplayer was decent.

Great vid, didn't expect him to enjoy it.

Jul 22, 2009
HankMan said:
I played this game and I can think a whole number of reasons why I didn't like besides it being a Halo game:
Limited weapon selection
Over-powered pistol not having enough amo
paints-on-head-retarded driving mechanics
Brain damaged friendly A.I.
Only getting two grenades at a time
Power shield won't let you move
stamina worn out faster than a fat man on a thigh master
God damn it -_-

You started with really good reasons... I don't mind if you don't like limited selection.
The pistol can't possibly be overpowered if it doesn't have enough ammo. That's called balancing. Do you see how that works?
Fair enough, you don't like the driving.
Every game has retarded A.I so that's not really an issue considering they're better than most.
Fair enough, you want more grenades.
Try a drop shield. It's called armor lock for a reason.
The sprint could do with a faster recharge but the amount seems fine to me.

Then you ruined it...

Oh Wait, That IS a Halo game

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Wow, he didn't hate it totally, I must now go out and buy a 360 and track down every previous Halo game...

Nah, I have Halo 1 for PC, and it's kinda ok, but didn't make me desperate for more.

The bit about aircraft with side doors open is actually fairly realistic, military helicopters often fly like that with guys hang out the side, and I have no idea why.

Needless pop against PS Move though. I've not bought it myself, but I don't rule out getting it in the near future if I find some good reason other than re-playing Heavy Rain, which isn't quite enough to justify the cost.

YoungZer0

Nov 28, 2007
EightGaugeHippo said:
YoungZer0 said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
I just noticed he didnt say anything was terible. A few flaws, But nothing major.
That's because Bungie never really changed anything in the whole run of the series. You can't complain about things that have been shit in the first one, since they have became part of the franchise.
Yeah, but Bungie has changed things. Halo 1 is very different to Halo Reach. Oh wait sorry, they still have sheilds and space marines and a few of the same weapons, thats the formula for shitness apparently.
I played Halo 1 a few days before i gave Reach a try. The Art-Direction is a lot darker.

That's it.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I'll pick it up eventually, after I buy a few games I want more:
Penumbra: Black Plague
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Possibly Just Cause 2
(Even if reach is better than all of these, I don't care. I love being horrified, and heard Black Plague and Amnesia are the best, Sam Fisher is one of my favorite characters and it looks a bit more action based stealth than "Be stealthy or die in two bullets" approach of the previous games, and I like grappling hooks, blowing things up, and jumping out of a helicopter onto a mountain and pulling the parachute at the last second so I roll all the way down the mountain and get up as if I haven't just broken every bone in my body.)

vanthebaron

Sep 16, 2010
I did watch the ending level after I watched the review and i feels a lot like Kerrigan's death from the end of starcraft 1.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Like nailing me thoughts to a wall ... or video :D
It is a completely OK game, it is slap bang in the middle of average, nothing wrong with it, but nothing that would make you love it either.
In fact this is the only game I ever fell asleep while playing, which is quite an achievement.

And this being the last Halo... yeah right, MS will ride that dirty old w*ore till her bones crumble.

Namewithheld

Apr 30, 2008
I'm going to throw in my 2 cents and demand a sequel to Oni as well.

Nothing like doing a spinning neck snap on a poor bastard, then sliding, whipping out a plasma rifle and blasting another guy in the face before bouncing up and throat punching someone else.

Damn that game was cool.

Thundorn

Feb 18, 2010
I was surprised Yahtzee didnt slate this too much. I felt ripped off after i bought it and on normal setting on first playthrough had completed it in 5 hours, and I'm not even that good at fps. The story moves way too fast and half the time the link between missions didn't seem to make any sense. I liked halo and thought halo 3 was ok, but feel let down by Halo Reach

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Silly Yahtzee... Spartans wear suits of magnetic armour, with magnetic gloves, magnetic boots, and magnetic bum-plates. That's why they can get away with not using seatbelts :p

And i am slightly less amazed than everyone else, but still pretty amazed that he was so un-hateful to the game.

firemark

Sep 8, 2009
See it's the multiplayer part that actually pissed me off. If he wants to hate on it he should play the maps. They're all strictly rehashes of old levels or taken straight from the levels. There is absolutely no creativity in them, which is not what I have come to expect from Bungie. Also, I'm glad he pointed out the ending because that for me was the only real redeeming quality of the entire story. I wasn't really moved by anything that happened, nor was I ever really when it comes to the Halo saga, but the ending where I was fighting for my life really hit home and I actually was like, "Yes, this is fun! The story makes sense now!".

Anyways, good insight as always! Makes hump-day that much more enjoyable!