Zero Punctuation: Halo: Reach

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
On the one hand, I'm kinda shocked he only had mild levels of bile. On the other hand, I KNEW he'd enjoy that ending.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
YoungZer0 said:
arc1991 said:
HankMan said:
Tenkage said:
Ok that is fair, he destroy the game but he didn't hate it, so That must mean this is one of the best shooter games on the market, I mean come on if Yahtzee can enjoy it almost anyone can LOL
Almost anyone
GamesB2 said:
Ha brilliant.

To everyone complaining about Halo Reach because it is a Halo game.

Bad ¬_¬ Very bad... you go learn stuff before commenting.
I played this game and I can think a whole number of reasons why I didn't like besides it being a Halo game:
Limited weapon selection
Over-powered pistol not having enough amo
paints-on-head-retarded driving mechanics
Brain damaged friendly A.I.
Only getting two grenades at a time
Power shield won't let you move
stamina worn out faster than a fat man on a stair master

Oh Wait, That IS a Halo game
Ok I'm sorry, you clearly haven't played this game...(or at least completed it)

Halo has Always had a vast weapon selection.

The over powered pistol (as you call it) doesn't have a lot of ammo because it's only a pistol and does quite a bit of damage, if it had more ammo then it would be over powered.

The driving mechanics have Always been the same, and are probably some of the best in any shooter.

Ok i admit, the A.I isn't very good, but then again, it never has been.

You acctualy get 4 grenades at a time. (2 frags, 2 Plasma Grenades, you know...the sticky blue things that scream while blowing up?)

If you could move while the power shield was active, it would be very over powered.

And if you wore heavy body armour you would not be able run for long either.
See this is exactly what i meant by my last comment. Bungies previous mistakes are repeating and are now a feature, if you play a Halo game you have to expect bad AI and all that. They don't improve, they don't change. Playing it as save and ball-less as possible. Which is exactly why i don't respect Bungie. I hope they really are done with this overrated franchise and might finally make a game that's worth playing. Although i liked ONI i'd love to see them do something new.
Bad allied AI. Which is annoying, admittedly. The enemy AI, on the other hand, is so awesome it's uncanny. It's like playing other human players. And if you'd actually given the game a go or done any research at all, you'd know this.

Anyway, Yahtzee was surprisingly charitable towards this game (unlike the arriving waves of deluded haters). He didn't hate it. That's good enough for me.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
YoungZer0 said:
arc1991 said:
HankMan said:
Tenkage said:
Ok that is fair, he destroy the game but he didn't hate it, so That must mean this is one of the best shooter games on the market, I mean come on if Yahtzee can enjoy it almost anyone can LOL
Almost anyone
GamesB2 said:
Ha brilliant.

I played this game and I can think a whole number of reasons why I didn't like besides it being a Halo game:
Limited weapon selection
Over-powered pistol not having enough amo

Oh Wait, That IS a Halo game
Ok I'm sorry, you clearly haven't played this game...(or at least completed it)

Halo has Always had a vast weapon selection.

The over powered pistol (as you call it) doesn't have a lot of ammo because it's only a pistol and does quite a bit of damage, if it had more ammo then it would be over powered.

The driving mechanics have Always been the same, and are probably some of the best in any shooter.

Ok i admit, the A.I isn't very good, but then again, it never has been.

You acctualy get 4 grenades at a time. (2 frags, 2 Plasma Grenades, you know...the sticky blue things that scream while blowing up?)

If you could move while the power shield was active, it would be very over powered.

And if you wore heavy body armour you would not be able run for long either.
See this is exactly what i meant by my last comment. Bungies previous mistakes are repeating and are now a feature, if you play a Halo game you have to expect bad AI and all that. They don't improve, they don't change. Playing it as save and ball-less as possible. Which is exactly why i don't respect Bungie. I hope they really are done with this overrated franchise and might finally make a game that's worth playing. Although i liked ONI i'd love to see them do something new.
I would like you to name one game where...

The A.I does not get in your way, They are not completely pants on head retarded and do not run blindly into fire and die.

EVERY game has them, if you complain about Halo, you complain about 99.9% of all shooters as well. (Star Wars Republic Commando is the only game i have seen where the Intelligence in "Artificial Intelligence" acctualy means something).

As stated, this is a Halo game for Halo Fans, who are used to how the how the game works. the A.I is meant to be pathetic because hell, we all would be if we encountered 8 foot aliens with plasma based weaponry. Think of the A.I as the meat shield, if you are hurt, hide for a bit while they take the fire.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Glad to see you kind of enjoyed it. Pretty much summed up all the problems I had with the game. (Mainly the characters) Overall, I still enjoyed Reach.

Caradinist

Nov 19, 2009
I completely forgot that Oni was made by Bungie.

Other than that, he pretty much voiced the same stuff i was thinking about Halo:Reach. Also I never really thought about the whole lack of seat belts.

What DOES bug me is. Why do we have fall damage, if these Spartans can survive fucking re-entry into a planet?

br0d

Aug 15, 2009
I paid $4 for the Move starter pack due to trade deal profiteering. Does that count?

ps. Bungie hated the 'Combat Evolved' subtitle - it was forced on them by MS.

LordXel

Sep 25, 2010
I forgot to say: YES YAHTZEE! You are so damn right! We need more games that have space ship battles!

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
A documentary on the megacunts who play Halo Reach

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/549991

Good job as always yahtzee. Make fun of the ways games suck, but can at least admit when some parts are good.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Caradinist said:
I completely forgot that Oni was made by Bungie.

Other than that, he pretty much voiced the same stuff i was thinking about Halo:Reach. Also I never really thought about the whole lack of seat belts.

What DOES bug me is. Why do we have fall damage, if Spartan can survive fucking re-entry into a planet?
Remember Halo 3? Master Chief re-entering earth?

Noble 6's armour might have locked up. just not as bad.

Hell good point though :p

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
HankMan said:
Tenkage said:
Almost anyone
GamesB2 said:
Ha brilliant.

Limited weapon selection
The pistol not having enough amo

Limited weapon selection - There's plenty of weapons you obviously just weren't looking hard enough
The pistol not having enough ammo - I thought the amount of ammo for the pistol was enough
Pants-on-head-retarded driving mechanics - There's nothing wrong with the driving mechanics
Brain damaged friendly A.I. - I'll give you that one
Only getting two grenades at a time - Two grenades is plenty and if you were able to carry more multiplayer would get a little annoying because everyone would be grenade spamming
Power Shield won't let you move - If you were able to run around with the Power Shield active that would be a bit overpowered don't you think? I mean just think of multiplayer people would be running round killing people while also being invincible and if that was the case that would also be the only Armour Ability that would get used.
Stamina worn out faster than a fat man on a stair master - If you're referring to the duration you can sprint then let me ask this: How long do you think you could sprint for in power armour?

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Unsurprising, really. I knew he was going to call out Reach on Noble Team and the soldiers that populated it from the get-go. The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure with or without the multiplayer, I would've enjoyed it all the same.

Good luck to Bungie, and awesome as always Yahtzee. Didn't know he liked ONI.

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
I expected as much from you Yahtzee, as your hate of Halo is fairly well known. I know that I will be playing Halo: Reach for at least a year to come and enjoying every minute of it. Your reasons for not liking Halo are understandable, but I just don't see some games the way you do.

Martin Toy

Aug 24, 2010
I gave up with Halo a loooogn time ago. The only way I like my Halo now is Red vs Blue. ^___^

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
I don't think I could've liked this review much more unless he liked the game much more, except while he demonstrated he knows a thing or two about Halo and isn't blinding lashing out at what's popular (although it seemed like stuff he could've picked up pretty easily on Wikipedia) he doesn't seem to know some things that could've made a difference, like that Reach wasn't the first contact with the Covenant (although it is odd more people weren't more surprised or at least frightened to see them there), or that Mjolnir armor weighs half a ton and thus isn't that prone to sliding off anything EDIT: completely forgot about the magnets, which are evident enough given you see weapons on Spartans' backs with nothing visible holding them there, and except the seemingly quite large oversights, like how he mentioned the space combat and placed the jet-packing in the same category but left out the level where you spend most of your time in a helicopter-ish vehicle, or not realizing that these super-soldiers, and apparently regular soldiers in the Haloverse, would be trained in the operation of enemy materiel, although that kind of goes back to my first point-- and back at my first points is the biggest screw-up: Halo 2 was the top played on-line original Xbox game from when it was released until the day the service was shut down and Halo 3 has been in the top three (maybe top four for a little while) most played on-line 360 games since it came out, and all indications are Reach is a real successor-- the servers, or rather the playlists, won't be wastelands in three months or three years.