OhJohnNo said:
mr_rubino said:
OhJohnNo said:
mr_rubino said:
OhJohnNo said:
mr_rubino said:
OhJohnNo said:
misterprickly said:
I didn't need Yahtzee to tell ME that this game is a dud!

I still can't believe that people still play Halo when there are sooooo many other games that are soooo much better.
GAH! *quotes self*

Really, some people make me so damn annoyed. They seem to have made it their life's mission to try and destroy any games they don't like (and usually this means "games not made by Valve" on these forums). Do they care that some people don't give a shit about comparing Halo to some old game which supposedly has greater depth and more change, because they've got a positive enough outlook on life to be satisfied with a game which is just fun? No. They will not rest until every person in the world has been utterly convinced that Halo is an abomination and we should all be playing Half-Life, and are convinced that anybody who prefers Halo is a casual dipshit with no taste. It's the very worst kind of fanboyism, and I hate it. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, and I just wish these people would see reason and stop.

This militant, elitist and extreme fanboyism of Half Life 2 is incidentally why I hate the game and franchise despite never having played it.
Halo fanboys: Thinnest skins in the west. Saying anything needs improvement is mean, and Halo shouldn't be compared to other games, because that's unfair. It should be judged on its own merits, and every feature of the game judged on how it perfectly matches past Halo games.
And here we go again. You misunderstand me to the extent that you're probably just trolling, and you have no idea how much it is taking me to remain civil here.

As I said, there are some of us with positive enough outlooks on life to be satisfied with a game. For us apparently privileged few, every game doesn't need to be absolutely perfect, totally deep, and completely innovative. We possess the apparently unusual ability to focus on what we think the game does well, and how it's fun. This is why I don't envy game critics - they're paid to be the opposite of this mindset, pointing out every niggling flaw in a game.

There, understand me now?
Yeah... You sure showed me with that post. I'm not at all thinking of an chimpanzee going into a hysterical giggling fit when someone jingles their keys.
I apologize for having standards that require a piece of media to have some amount of substance before I can enjoy it, or as Halo fanboys call it: "trolling".

Man, you people are bad at this. "YOR STOOPID. Now respond to my non-thought-out point, YU STUPED MEENY!"
No no, merely having such standards isn't trolling. What you are doing is trying to assert that your views are correct and being demeaning (or rather, trying and failing to be demeaning) towards those who disagree with you. That right there is either trolling or flaming (or both), take your pick.

See, I would have had no problem with you if you just said "meh personally I don't like Halo, I prefer my games to be deep and all that". What you are instead doing is trying to make enemies by saying "My personal standards mean I look down upon this pathetic excuse for a game from my godly perch and lol at those noobs who like it".

Sometimes I think "the Escapist" should be renamed "the Elitist".

(And by the way, quit with the insults, they don't do much for your credibility or your argument).
Blah blah meanie blah blah elitist blah blah subjectivity. Couldn't possibly care less. This bliss-mommy crap is old hat. Why don't you just start calling people hipsters and complete the "words that don't mean anything and just take up space" trifecta.

That or stop whining whenever someone points out the simple fact (c wut I did thar? lol, i luk 4wd to u wasting a paragraph going "Like... that's just... your opinion, man.") that every Halo game is more of the same. You can like better games where more care is put into them, and bad features are taken out instead of reinforced. All you have to do is learn to invest a little bit in what you spend your time doing.
You're allowed to care about what's happening on the screen.
You have now crossed the line from infuriating to absolutely hilarious. I haven't got much to say to that really, so I'm not even gonna try. I'm glad you are, deep down, so unsatisfied with your life that you have to validate your continued existence by convincing yourself of the inferiority of all those who disagree with you.
Oh, you're a chick. You shoulda said that in the first place so I wouldn't have pegged you as a teenage boy.
Actually, since my big words seem to have confused you, maybe I should just give you a Hercul- um... a challenge: Say something good about Halo Reach.

I know. That was unfair of me.
But now that you're in full thick-headed unphasable "Baaw opinions are subjective" (No duh, Captain) mode, I figured that for your own good, I should put you down with the one question that sends every Halo fan running for the exit. If it can't be answered by "Opinion! Opinion! Stop being mean!", you Halo fans can't answer it.

Say something good about Halo: Reach.
Ahahaha, accusing me of being a girl! Think up that one all by your lonesome did you?

You are one spectacular troll, you know that? If you're doing this unintentionally, it's a feat to remember.

Alright, I'll humour you for a while by taking the somewhat lateral way out.

One good thing about Halo: Reach is the Active Roster. If your friends are online and playing Reach, you can see this the moment you enter the main menu. You can queue to join them, so that when they finish their game you are partied up with them. When in the queue, you can also see details of their game, most usefully how long until it finishes. It's efficient. It's easy. It's a good feature, perhaps even an innovation.

Now I present a challenge to you:

When you try to rebut my point - as you inevitably will - don't try and redefine your parameters. You told me to "name one good thing about Halo: Reach", and I named something. I half expect you to say "lol I meant in gameplay, you stupid chimpanzee", but don't - the extent to which one enjoys the gameplay for any game at all is based around opinion, so "name one good thing about Reach's gameplay" is as impossible a question as "name one good thing about Metroid Fusion's gameplay" or "name one good thing about Homeworld's gameplay" - gameplay features I love, such as the 3D gameplay in the latter (an RTS), may be hated by someone else.
So as I said: "Multiplayer yo" ("you chimpanzee"). Again. Nice.
And no, I made the connection you were a girl since every chick goes for the "You're just arguing with me cuz you hate yourself and are just jealous cuz I'm hot 'n' stuff. No, I can't stick to a subject and yes, I fear forming arguments to defend things. Why do you ask? Also, thinking gives you wrinkles" defense.
I don't have to [pointless meandering and desperate attempt to avoid saying anything good about Halo:Reach that doesn't have to do with making multiplayer a more multiplayery experience]. You've shown me a perfect example of a Halo: Reach fan.
Now, my long sleep has left me refreshed.

You've gone and redefined the parameters. You didn't say "name one good thing about Halo: Reach's singleplayer", you said "name one good thing about Halo: Reach". Period. I named one good thing about Halo: Reach, and you were unable to provide a good counter argument byond "lol multiplayer doesn't count". Are you not even able to graciously concede a single point in a debate?

If I've shown you a perfect example of a Halo: Reach fan, then I feel proud, considering that I've actually been able to construct arguments and point out the flaws in yours. What are your favourite games? I'm sure their communities benefit from having a fan who is so utterly incompetent and childish he is incapable of making any argument beyond "lol you're a chimpanzee/girl/heathen who likes Multiplayer". Maybe you should become a politician, you'd be great!

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Nintendolover222 said:
And vice versa for your last statement, as your first sentence so clearly implies.
Eeeh? I never implied Halo: Reach was a classic. Although Halo: CE was, just as HL 1 was.

If you're suggesting that a Bungie fanboy can't take an unbiased view of a Halo critique, you'd be right. That said, I'm not a Bungie fan. Their Halo series has been a pretty mixed bag. I can only say that I very much enjoyed two of the series: Halo 2 and Halo Reach.

I'm able to credit Bungie when they make an excellent FPS because I don't have Valve's penis in my mouth. I'm able to criticise them when they make an average FPS because I don't have Bungie's there either.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
It doesn't surprise me that he doesn't play the multiplayer. The only reason I play it is because my friends play it. The Meta-**** joke is right on the money - everyone that plays Halo is a child in the mental sense, regardless of age (I am no exception).

I set it to mute anyone not on my friends list, because no one on Halo is worth talking to. Maybe there are one or two people that are, but for the most part, it's all a bunch of twelve-year olds or people that act like ones. So I would rather think of them as bots that ocassionally tea-bag me.

So I don't blame Yahtzee for not getting involved in the multiplayer. I wouldn't reccommend Halo's multiplayer to anyone else either.

Stephen Bartlett

Sep 28, 2010
well my view on this game is pretty much halo 3 + jetpacks = halo reach = ca$h cow
it hasnt evovled like he said and it never really started great more just it being mainstream and publicised

some people said he liked the jetpacks which is why he found the game bearable compared to halo 3, note formula above :)

CynicalMarcus

Jul 27, 2010
Keep in mind he didn't hate GTAIV at first either. It wouldn't surprise me if he completely smashes Reach when Bulletstorm comes out.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
nik3daz said:
Repetitive gameplay? Are you kidding? Every headshot, every twitch kill is a completely new and different experience from the last. Like in the degrees you turn. And who you're killing. And stuff.
Sarcasm? In case in wasn't, of course it was repitive, you're just shooting the same enemies for 6 hours. I got bored playing for 5 minutes.

Orzene

Nov 28, 2008
Well, it's made me jump into the singleplayer bit on their 'Legendary' setting and I guess I forced myself to play the GOD-AWFUL multiplayer enough to try and achieve the best armor in the game, but after that.. why would I bother playing? I'm more interested in ODST, and at least they're human beings, save captain "Player1', with his face constantly hidden from everyone...

Sandaime

Oct 5, 2009
I'm actually a bit surprised. from what I've seen, Yahtzee normally takes to shooters of any sort like a fish to burning oil. Unless I'm much mistaken, he actually sort of likes it.

Which leave me skull-fucked in a ditch.

Orzene

Nov 28, 2008
It's a localized phenomenon I believe. It involves 2 kids in a 'Shang-Ri La' setting visiting some WWE fuckwad who spouts the same "Eat this to feel cool and do awesome stuff" jargon, then we have a montage of the kids and their shorter, monstrous 'spicey sides' going around beating up ninja's and becoming wrestling superstars...

All of which has no bearing on anything this site offers really. I could understand an Army commercial, as Medal of Honor is the next big EA event or whatever.. but this is indeed insulting...

Like I said though, it's probably just a localized thing... as Slim Jim is the name of an over-priced stick of beef jerky..

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Artemus_Cain said:
Yeah, I'll rent it. I can't believe some people actually reacted ti this game just like Egoraptor's Awesome Reach (look it up). This is NOT going to be the end of Halo, and there's something wrong with people who think otherwise.

One last thing, Escapsit. Please, please, please, please, PLEASE stop with that stupid Slim Jim commercial. I know they're giving you money, but can you please just put a banner ad or soemthing? It's too long, it's stupid, it's geared to six year olds, and it definatly doesn't make me want to buy any. Frankly, I'm insulted everytime I see it, and I have to put up with it almost every time I watch a damn movie here. I go on this site everyday, but I'm concidering stopping if this keeps up and I'm probably not the only one.
Except for the part about leaving, I agree with this guy. Hate that one so much.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Hypothetical Meta ****. I burst out laughing! Awesome review, good to see you liking it.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
RexoftheFord said:
hem dazon 90 said:
RexoftheFord said:
(Angry Joe said it too).
Oh christ a that guy with the glasses fan
Angry Video Game Nerd does not equal Angry Joe. Check your facts about who you're talking about. Okay pumpkin?
"That Guy With the Glasses" is NOT AVGN, he is Doug "Nostalgia Critic" Walker, and he would be PISSED that you thought he and AVGN are the same person.

TGWTG is his website, and Angry Joe is a contributor to said site, thus why he assumes you are a fan of said site. Yay!

...oh, right, should post something about the actual video....I like Halo: Reach, and I plan to play it some more tomorrow. I accept not everyone likes it, but I love it. Opinions are fun.

RexoftheFord

Sep 28, 2009
There's a few things that I also couldn't stop paying attention to in Halo Reach. Yahtzee mentioned the whole "lets sit on the edge of moving vehicles without falling out" bit they kept doing, but there are other things that are quite annoying. 1) Why can I survive orbital descent after being tossed out of an airlock in space, but cannot fall 20 feet without magically dying? 2) How the fuck does the helmet allow me to breathe in space when it can be knocked off, taken off, or just plain fall off with the proper angle? Wouldn't that create an airlock problem? 3) When Kat gets sniped, she got hit with a needle from a needle rifle. Now, she's had shields all the way up to this point that would've prevented that needle from killin' her, where the fuck did they go all of the sudden? 4) Back to the whole orbital descent thing. If my armor can stop that from killing me, why do bullets still work?

Someone told me that according to all the backstory material, Spartans didn't have shields on Reach. If that's so, that solves how Kat easily got waxed, but it leaves open the question of...why the fuck am I running around with shields in the game? Pick one. Health or shields. Or do the Doom thing and have Armor that depletes over time, but you must find more in order to keep your health damage at a manageable rate. Keep things consistent if you're going to go to prequel mode, or if you're going to be inconsistent, at least make it make sense. But yeah, I've played all the Halo games. Haven't read the books, the comics, or viewed the his or her beach towels, so maybe I'm a total noobtard when it comes to Halo. But I think the average Halo player hasn't done all the back reading either.

By the way, people keep telling me about all the new weapons and levels. What new weapons, levels or enemies? New Enemies? Do you mean the slightly larger Jackal (aka Skirmisher) or did you mean the engineers (which were in ODST)? New Weapons? Sorry, DMR = BR with its burst fire mode removed. Focus Rifle = Shit Beam Rifle. Needle Rifle = Covenant Carbine. Concussion Rifle = Brute Shot. The only really new weapon would be your grenade launcher. New Levels? Yeah, which one's your favorite? Blood Gulch Remake, Sanctuary Remake, Ascension Remake, or Ivory Tower remake?

The fun of this game comes from the part that isn't true to form Halo, and that's the space mission, but then again, I ended up just playing Rogue Squadron again because of that.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
RexoftheFord said:
There's a few things that I also couldn't stop paying attention to in Halo Reach. Yahtzee mentioned the whole "lets sit on the edge of moving vehicles without falling out" bit they kept doing, but there are other things that are quite annoying. 1) Why can I survive orbital descent after being tossed out of an airlock in space, but cannot fall 20 feet without magically dying? 2) How the fuck does the helmet allow me to breathe in space when it can be knocked off, taken off, or just plain fall off with the proper angle? Wouldn't that create an airlock problem? 3) When Kat gets sniped, she got hit with a needle from a needle rifle. Now, she's had shields all the way up to this point that would've prevented that needle from killin' her, where the fuck did they go all of the sudden? 4) Back to the whole orbital descent thing. If my armor can stop that from killing me, why do bullets still work?

Someone told me that according to all the backstory material, Spartans didn't have shields on Reach. If that's so, that solves how Kat easily got waxed, but it leaves open the question of...why the fuck am I running around with shields in the game? Pick one. Health or shields. Or do the Doom thing and have Armor that depletes over time, but you must find more in order to keep your health damage at a manageable rate. Keep things consistent if you're going to go to prequel mode, or if you're going to be inconsistent, at least make it make sense. But yeah, I've played all the Halo games. Haven't read the books, the comics, or viewed the his or her beach towels, so maybe I'm a total noobtard when it comes to Halo. But I think the average Halo player hasn't done all the back reading either.

By the way, people keep telling me about all the new weapons and levels. What new weapons, levels or enemies? New Enemies? Do you mean the slightly larger Jackal (aka Skirmisher) or did you mean the engineers (which were in ODST)? New Weapons? Sorry, DMR = BR with its burst fire mode removed. Focus Rifle = Shit Beam Rifle. Needle Rifle = Covenant Carbine. Concussion Rifle = Brute Shot. The only really new weapon would be your grenade launcher. New Levels? Yeah, which one's your favorite? Blood Gulch Remake, Sanctuary Remake, Ascension Remake, or Ivory Tower remake?

The fun of this game comes from the part that isn't true to form Halo, and that's the space mission, but then again, I ended up just playing Rogue Squadron again because of that.
Think of this Halo game as "Halo's Best bits"

Remember this is Bungie's last Halo game, they want their fans to enjoy everything from the other Halo games, just beefed up ;)

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
I am surprised. I was expecting a much more negative review on the Single Player portion of the game. Though I am disappointed in the fact that that is all the review is based off of. Even if he wanted to discount Multiplayer, the credit system and the intergrated Bungie.net [http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/online.aspx] for his reason, and he discounted Forge and saved films for similar reasons. Their is still Firefight. That requires only one person and he never mentioned it.

Though the one thing that bothered thoughout the review was the part where he said that Reach takes place at the beginning of the war. No it doesn't, it takes place 27 years after the start of the war. That's why they knew how to use Covenant equipment.