Zero Punctuation: Halo: Reach

AlphaEcho

Jun 16, 2010
Stephen Bartlett said:
well my view on this game is pretty much halo 3 + jetpacks = halo reach = ca$h cow
it hasnt evovled like he said and it never really started great more just it being mainstream and publicised

some people said he liked the jetpacks which is why he found the game bearable compared to halo 3, note formula above :)
That comment is just... untrue.

kommunizt kat

Jul 8, 2009
I'd just like to say that reach wasn't the first time they met the covenant and they've been fighting for like 20 years before the game... otherwise, it was a great review

RexoftheFord

Sep 28, 2009
Grey_Focks said:
RexoftheFord said:
hem dazon 90 said:
RexoftheFord said:
(Angry Joe said it too).
Oh christ a that guy with the glasses fan
Angry Video Game Nerd does not equal Angry Joe. Check your facts about who you're talking about. Okay pumpkin?
"That Guy With the Glasses" is NOT AVGN, he is Doug "Nostalgia Critic" Walker, and he would be PISSED that you thought he and AVGN are the same person.

TGWTG is his website, and Angry Joe is a contributor to said site, thus why he assumes you are a fan of said site. Yay!

...oh, right, should post something about the actual video....I like Halo: Reach, and I plan to play it some more tomorrow. I accept not everyone likes it, but I love it. Opinions are fun.
My bad. Totally did not know that "That guy with the glasses" was an alias for someone online. Never watched Nostalgia Critic. Only person I've watched that had any resemblence to someone with glasses was AVGN. You can see the disconnect right?

clockpenalty

Nov 25, 2007
RexoftheFord said:
There's a few things that I also couldn't stop paying attention to in Halo Reach. Yahtzee mentioned the whole "lets sit on the edge of moving vehicles without falling out" bit they kept doing, but there are other things that are quite annoying. 1) Why can I survive orbital descent after being tossed out of an airlock in space, but cannot fall 20 feet without magically dying? 2) How the fuck does the helmet allow me to breathe in space when it can be knocked off, taken off, or just plain fall off with the proper angle? Wouldn't that create an airlock problem? 3) When Kat gets sniped, she got hit with a needle from a needle rifle. Now, she's had shields all the way up to this point that would've prevented that needle from killin' her, where the fuck did they go all of the sudden? 4) Back to the whole orbital descent thing. If my armor can stop that from killing me, why do bullets still work?

Someone told me that according to all the backstory material, Spartans didn't have shields on Reach. If that's so, that solves how Kat easily got waxed, but it leaves open the question of...why the fuck am I running around with shields in the game? Pick one. Health or shields. Or do the Doom thing and have Armor that depletes over time, but you must find more in order to keep your health damage at a manageable rate. Keep things consistent if you're going to go to prequel mode, or if you're going to be inconsistent, at least make it make sense. But yeah, I've played all the Halo games. Haven't read the books, the comics, or viewed the his or her beach towels, so maybe I'm a total noobtard when it comes to Halo. But I think the average Halo player hasn't done all the back reading either.

By the way, people keep telling me about all the new weapons and levels. What new weapons, levels or enemies? New Enemies? Do you mean the slightly larger Jackal (aka Skirmisher) or did you mean the engineers (which were in ODST)? New Weapons? Sorry, DMR = BR with its burst fire mode removed. Focus Rifle = Shit Beam Rifle. Needle Rifle = Covenant Carbine. Concussion Rifle = Brute Shot. The only really new weapon would be your grenade launcher. New Levels? Yeah, which one's your favorite? Blood Gulch Remake, Sanctuary Remake, Ascension Remake, or Ivory Tower remake?

The fun of this game comes from the part that isn't true to form Halo, and that's the space mission, but then again, I ended up just playing Rogue Squadron again because of that.

Disclaimer: I am a Halo fanboy. I hated Halo PC (first halo I played), kind-of-liked halo2, then spent a week at a friends' playing 4 player split screen and since then I will prostrate myself upon the floor and worship anything with the name Halo that isn't sacrilege like Halo wars.

I will undertake to address your issues below:

1) Noble 6 was wearing a re-entry pack (watch cutscene again) and has a feature called 'armour locking' which master chief used in the first cutscene of halo 3 to also survive orbital re-entry

2) 500 years in the future = awesome new technology. According to the canon, a spartans armour allows for 90 minutes oxygen and can withstand exposure to space. Also,the helmet does not just fall off. Neither can it be knocked off.

3) Kat's shields were down due to an EMP spike or something...I forget, its in the dialog. However in-game a sniper shot kills with one headshot even with 200% overshields. On previous Halos this would be the beam rifle, though. If you are sure it was a needle rifle (need to re-watch the cutscenes) then the dropped shields still hold, as the NR is a 1-hit kill on an unshielded spartan

4) Bullets do not work if you activate armour-lock. Your comeback should be 'in gameplay i should be able to use armourlock to survive any fall then' but I would counter that going that far is nitpicking. There is a point at which gameplay balance simply supercedes story. The fact that armourlock is not activatable in mid-air and that noble6 was wearing a re-entry pack should cover these problems adequately.

The person telling you that spartans didnt have shields on reach is only partially correct. Their shields are just crap compared to those of the MASTACHIEF (hallowed be his name, May He Forever Reign, etc etc etc)

Finally your points about the similarity of the weapons, levels, etc to classic halo stuff ignores the fact that the similarities are to the *best* parts of Halo over the years.

The appeal of reach comes from the fact that Halo is a perfectly balanced game that does not get old, like streetfighter or poker, and this game is a 'best-of' collection that allows raving fanboys like us to enjoy everything that is awesome about halo in one place, and with perfect balance.

Maybe convert a few unbelievers along the way? Perhaps but I'm not holding my breath. By now halo-heads are neck deep in the stuff and outsiders will just never get the splendour of the holy trinity of weapons, nades and beatdowns. There is however never a shortage of outsiders determined to try, and I have to shamefully admit that I would rather treat them as cannon fodder than gently ease them into a world of pure gaming awesomeness

Man, I need help. Wheres john 117 when u need him....

RexoftheFord

Sep 28, 2009
But it does get old. It gets old really really fast for someone who's actually played a game with any half decent story that isn't some sort of duct taped together mess of a tutorial of how to play the game online. Even then, the online multiplayer gets bland. As I said, what's your favorite level of the remakes? Did you like that blue sky,grass covered mountain or did you like that blue sky, grass covered valley? About the Kat thing, why would they suddenly introduce a beam rifle to the cut scene when it hasn't even been in the game yet? (Just checked, it was a needle rifle) Also, didn't see anybody's shields go down in that scene either. I've played all the games, and the first one was great. But you can't repackage a game (what is it?) four times in a row without offering anything but minimal upgrades and gameplay changes before it gets old. The game looks great, but overall it's just an average shooter with nothing all that great about it. If you really want a balanced shooter, pick up a copy of Unreal. No offense, but I just can't justify why I spent 40 bucks on this game after trading in ODST. I'm already considering trading this in for that new Castlevania game, because I've played all those too, and it looks to be a bit more entertaining. Oh, and Fallout. Plus Black Ops for CoD is coming out soon. But this goes back to what Shamus was saying about criticizing a game around fanboys. You can't make any attempt at it without them coming up with the opposing option to fight back with. Single player? Well, you left out the multiplayer experience. Multiplayer? Well, you didn't include the single player. Whatever. Halo's gone stale and that's all I've got to say about it. Great start, but now it's just getting old and we need to show this dying animal some sympathy by gettin' the shotgun and puttin' it to rest.

RexoftheFord

Sep 28, 2009
Vrex360 said:
Well, it wasn't as bad as just shouting into the microphone at how shit the franchise was and he at least had a few positive things to say on the matter. True, he still has a lot of negative things to say about the game and then some but it wasn't as intense as I was expecting and he did at least have one or two positive things to say about it.

Still, I think it really isn't fair for him to overlook Firefight and Forge World. I mean those aren't primarily multiplayer things and were major parts of the game.

Still as it stands, I do agree with him on one or two points. Halo: Reach is by no means perfect in terms of single player but it does still have some competent moments. I would also disagree with him on a few points but that's just the die hard fan in me talking.
In any case I had some laughs and I don't see this review becoming the new flagship for the Halo Hate Brigade anytime soon, so that's good too.

So yes, it is ultimately a negative review but it wasn't scathing and it was entertaining to watch, that's really all you can ask for in situations like this and Yahtzee delivered.
No offense, but he gets paid to review Halo Reach, not to dick around on Humans vs. Aliens Tower Defense (A spinoff of Plants vs. Zombies) or Start in a Set Map and Create Your Own Level sort of (A spinoff of Sim City). Which is probably why he didn't add Forge and Firefight into his list of things to review.

But yeah, the game has some competent things going for it, but they're short lived and then you're back to the boring other stuff again.

SnakeCL

Apr 8, 2008
RexoftheFord said:
No offense, but he gets paid to review Halo Reach, not to dick around on Humans vs. Aliens Tower Defense (A spinoff of Plants vs. Zombies) or Start in a Set Map and Create Your Own Level sort of (A spinoff of Sim City). Which is probably why he didn't add Forge and Firefight into his list of things to review.

But yeah, the game has some competent things going for it, but they're short lived and then you're back to the boring other stuff again.
What I find ironic, is that this same argument can be applied to just about any FPS in the last few years. Yes even Half-Life 2 folks.

RexoftheFord

Sep 28, 2009
SnakeCL said:
RexoftheFord said:

What I find ironic, is that this same argument can be applied to just about any FPS in the last few years. Yes even Half-Life 2 folks.
Yeap, sure could pretty much. Which is why I give up trying and just play what I want to play and complain about what is old and boring. lol

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Heh. I knew he'd like the end. It looked like it was designed specifically for Yahtzee.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
OK, he is right about the lack of seatbelts - that bothered me too. I thought that the campaign was a lot of fun. I did have some of those sword moments and... actually I pretty much agree with Yahtzee completely here. I really liked the game but he makes a lot of good points. Seriously though, whilst the game can stand up on its solo campaign, the multiplayer is such a huge part of the game that it shouldn't really be ignored. Come on Yahtzee, you could have at least played the campaign on coop or tried a bit of Firefight. Now that I think about it, Firefight can be played solo too so you have no excuse for not at least trying it.

NecroSen

May 16, 2008
To an extent, the multiplayer is also played solo, in that you don't need friends or even the concept of other human beings existing in the world in order to get into it via the matchmaking system. You choose the type of game you want to play, hit a button, and off you go. Turn off all the voice chat and it's like you're playing against various different kinds of AI players... who are all dicks and hate you.

Anyway, it is a fair review. The point about seatbelts got to me too: one guy literally sits down casually on the edge of the back door, the ship hurtles off faster than a Ferrari, and he doesn't move an inch. I think anyone else would have slid right off and been laughed at in that situation.

One point I should make about the plot. I'm not that kind of fanboy who loves the series to death and hates those who don't, but having read some of the novels (poorly written though they may be), just wanted to point out that Halo: Reach isn't the start of the Human-Covenant war. The awful Halo Wars actually takes place earlier than Reach, and even that isn't the very beginning. Further, the end of Reach, as you probably notice when you finish, is precisely the beginning of the first Halo game.

This is why, as you state in the review, everyone is familiar with the aliens and knows how to use their technology. They've just seen them before.

It's easy to miss and not care about, I know. Bungie sucks at telling the Halo story in the Halo games and continues to rely on others to help them portray the whole story, which, if you focus on single player, really detracts from the experience. If you do know the story from the various sources, you'll notice more of the details, but the game's plot cannot stand on its own.

At any rate, a well-made review. Thank you, sir. :)

ReaperzXIII

Jan 3, 2010
I find the fact that a game must be held up by only it's single player is complete bullshit because it removes a HUGE part of the game, multiplayer was made because campaign can only be played so many times before it becomes boring so ignoring the multiplayer completely is kinda bullshit.

Some games were purposely meant to be played multiplayer (Left 4 Dead) but the single player is there if you don't have an internet connection or friends.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Never been a fan of halo, so listening to you rip it apart made me laugh more than I usually do at your reviews.

Congrats, keep up the good work

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
"When that energy sword nipple fiend is on the prowl." One of the best lines in a review for quite some time. I'm happy he at least said some things were good, because he could have ripped the game to shreds like he did for most of the review.

Taisen

Dec 29, 2008
Used old engine...he does realise they created a completely new engine for Reach to do what they wanted...right? I thought he would mentioned something about that at least.

Azaraxzealot said:
they made a reference to Oni in the campaign (Oni Sword Base was a place you could fight)
Really? You do realise ONI stands for Office of Naval Intelligence...and its been referenced through pretty much every game. (Except the first I think)

Oh and the no seatbelts thing, generally its called a combat drop, fast insertions, like what the current millitary does right now... Although the whole standing of the edges of moving craft is kind of odd, you have to remember, the spartans weigh as much as a small car in those suits.