Zero Punctuation: Halo Wars

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Tom Phoenix said:
Catkid906 said:
Anyway, it was awesome and also by the way. I am going to throw an RTS title at you

Starcraft! Play the second one when it comes out! I command thee!
I agree, I really hope Yahtzee at least reviews StarCraft II when it comes out. Since Yahtzee is more of a singleplayer type, I think even he might enjoy StarCraft II (although it would be nice if he gave multiplayer a try). And even if he does not, it would still be interesting to hear his thoughts on the game.
Well it didn't take you long to make a profile pic out of this video! Looks awesome by the way!

SaneIntolerant

Jan 21, 2008
Sledgimus said:
SaneIntolerant said:
You're just pissed because Halo keeps bringing formerly PC exclusive genres to consoles and doing it well.
Um... what? I'm fairly sure I'd played FPS and RTS games on consoles before Halo arrived.
The only notable console FPS before Halo was Goldeneye, and every FPS game since Halo has copied the button layout or had some variant thereof. And it is a well known fact that console ports of RTSs are generally not very good, and Halo Wars has the advantage of being built from the ground up for the Xbox 360 and pulls of the controls very well.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
Who the hell are Graham and Paul?
It was a good review though, especially the bit at the end with the rant about timings. Oh how RTS's screwed me out of many a mission on this basis! (And many other things. DOW NECRONS WITH YOUR BLOODY REGEN!)
And the bit with the panda, that was hilarious. He should play more though, I can see why Halo wars would seem like a pile of shit

Mr.BucketHat

Mar 28, 2009
I actually agree with Yahtzee on the control things. RTS's were made for mice, not controllers. At least, thats what I've always thought. After playing C&C red alert and Battle for middle earth. I like RTS, but damn if you can use it with 10 buttons and a couple of stalks. You need a keyboard and a mouse.

And there were a couple of good moments in the xblades part, but nothing exceptional, and I don't think '****' is a verb. I could be wrong though.

KaiRai said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/unskippable

Arcyde

Nov 16, 2008
Yahtzee is on a murderous rampage.

First Graham. Then a poor defenceless imp.

Who's next?

Sonic the s---t

Mar 26, 2009
XD Excellent review...I enjoyed the Unskippable cameo. Very clever. XD You should review that new Sonic game (Black Knight or whatever--I can only imagine what you'd do with the talking sword), if you Australians ever get it.

kaiser_what

Feb 19, 2009
KaiRai said:
It was a good review though, especially the bit at the end with the rant about timings. Oh how RTS's screwed me out of many a mission on this basis! (And many other things. DOW NECRONS WITH YOUR BLOODY REGEN!)
And the bit with the panda, that was hilarious. He should play more though, I can see why Halo wars would seem like a pile of shit
Those two guys from the Unskippable videos

Rajin Cajun

Sep 12, 2008
I enjoyed the ending the rest of it was a confirmation of what I already thought of Halo Wars. Oh yes and the beginning was atrocious almost made me close the browser.

Jupsto

Feb 8, 2008
agreed unskippable is crap. its not that funny even with yahtzee on it. its not hard to do, anyone could do it. with a bit of skill anyone could do their own zero punctuation, this is proven by G+P doing the start of this ZP really well, it was funny alot funnier than unskippable. but it would just a be rip off. yahztee came up with his own unique style which delivers really well, unskippable is simply talking over cutscenes making easy jokes. but each to his own.

lojik98

Oct 21, 2008
Another awesome ZP. Nice marketing plug for Unskippable, he wasn't terrible. Not nearly as good as Yahtzee though.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
That sucks he attempted such a lame RTS to see if he liked RTS's or not. Of course Halo Wars isn't any good. Not a big surprise.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Eternal Vigil said:
2. The whole point of that mission was to recover troops and return to your ship before it got sucked into a massive portal and they be trapped on the surface of the planet and chewed on by the alien hordes, hence the time limit. The 'We've lost contact' was about the ship, not your units.
Quoted for truth. I didn't particularly want to type the exact same thing that someone else has undoubtly said before, but I would like to bring this up again so that anyone else missing the point can understand.

EDIT: Wait, if Yahtzee didn't make it to the end of the game, he can't have seen the last few cinematics! No wonder he doesn't like them!

Overall, I would say what I always say about Halo Wars. You may not enjoy it, you may think it's a cash in, but it has had effort put in. Some games, eg. Lord of the Rings: Conquest look like they were squirted out in an afternoon. Games like that don't get nice prerendered cutscenes and (mostly) inventive missions.