Zero Punctuation: Halo Wars

MGT-Orion

Mar 16, 2009
Kogarian said:
Wow, Yahtzee must really suck at RTS. And for constantly complaining about RPG's, shooters, and now RTS's, I'm wondering if he's even a fan of gaming.
I honestly can't see why you would make a statement like this, unless you were joking or being sarcastic. If so, that's hilarious! If not, I think your statement is completely backwards. The only way games can be better over time is through constructive criticism, or as you call it, complaining. You can't simply be content with games because then they fall into the trap of constant sequels, ripping off each other, and regurgitation of the same crap over and over again-- wait, we're already there.

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
MGT-Orion said:
Kogarian said:
Wow, Yahtzee must really suck at RTS. And for constantly complaining about RPG's, shooters, and now RTS's, I'm wondering if he's even a fan of gaming.
I honestly can't see why you would make a statement like this, unless you were joking or being sarcastic. If so, that's hilarious! If not, I think your statement is completely backwards. The only way games can be better over time is through constructive criticism, or as you call it, complaining. You can't simply be content with games because then they fall into the trap of constant sequels, ripping off each other, and regurgitation of the same crap over and over again-- wait, we're already there.
Can anyone say Megaman 9 ten times fast? Oh, wait! What about Hyper Street Fighter 2 3D Turbo... I mean, Street Fighter 4. Really, considering the praise these two are having from the gaming community, I say we deserve this kind of treatment from the industry...

skathe

Mar 22, 2009
first!

edit: nevermind I was like a week behind :(

anyway, hilarious as always. BTW: the only good RTS that was EVER on a console EVER was Dune on the Genesis. It rocked.

After years of testing, it's obvious that RTS's do NOT belong on a console system. There are too many things to micromanage and too little control with the console controller that is just clunky when it comes to working in this capacity.

Shath

Mar 6, 2009
Okey if anyone here actually watches Unskippable. It's Very different to ZP. They made a bet that it wasn't so hard and Graham came over to ZP to try. He was completely out of his normal way of reviewing and did a pretty damned good job so stop bitching about it he isn't going to be permanently on ZP and it was a guest so why are we stabbing Unskippable? freaking trolls.

Ange1ofD4rkness

Jan 14, 2009
you know i have seen this countless times ad just realized, that well...sheep are dumb as hell andthere all the same they can't get any dumber (I know I have worked with sheep)

Sternenschweif

Apr 3, 2009
xopher said:
SandroTheMaster said:
xopher said:
Believe it or not, people STILL like RTS's. I (and MANY people) have been waiting for Starcraft 2 since beating the first one 10 years ago. Fans have been begging Blizzard for a sequel for ages and after a while it seemed they wouldn't make it; even though we get 2 Warcraft sequels. I'm not sure how Starcraft will be and neither do you. I'm hoping Blizzard DOES bring new things to the table this time around. If the game is good, great, if not then I will say as such. Don't bash fans because of what game they like. Personally, I hate EA games like Madden, NBA Live, etc because I think it's the same crap year after year with just new gimmicks, but some people do like them, and I don't criticize them for doing so. And no, I seriously doubt Yahtzee will hate a game JUST because many other people like it. I have seen ALL his reviews and it's obvious he can think for himself and could care less about what other people think about a game.

Speaking of which of RTS's, they are the only Blizzard games I like, I don't think I could get into WoW and never really got into Diablo. To me RTS's are a break from the typical shoot em up games these days. Speaking of shoot em ups, I now despise Halo, sure it was fun when I played it, but I can't even play it anymore, and I doubt I will be getting anymore Halo games. Additionally, The COD series got VERY old prior to Modern Warfare and I wasn't going to buy anymore COD games if they were only going to be WWII based. COD4 was a godsend and I have no idea why they decided to go BACK to WWII with COD:WAW needless to say I won't get WAW, WWII games are played out and over produced. Blizzard never had a sequel for Starcraft so at least give them a chance to see what they come up with. Like I said if it sucks, I will say as such, but in either case I'm anxious to see the game.

I will however have to check out that Sacrifice game that you mentioned. I'm reading the synopsis now, and seems like an interesting concept.
I never said people don't like RTS. I love RTS, it is one of my favorite genres. I'm just saying that I'm so far unimpressed with SCII (and I've seem more than a few alpha playtests). Look for my posts in the last page, I explain why.

Now, about EA, they at least deserve some credit. Sure they sell the same cookie-cutter every year, but if it sells so well, who can blame them? What is commendable is how they don't keep only with their cookie-cutter (like, well, Blizzard). They're paying for the upcoming Dragon Age and Dante's Inferno, two games with new interesting concepts. While they also launched Dead Space and Mirror Edge (which are new different takes on FPSs, regardless what Yahtzee said). So it is not so bad, really. Tell, me: Does it seems like Blizzard is making any real change's with SCII? Or better yet, in Diablo III? Is it anything new? Hells, the greatest change's I've seem in Diablo III were being mercilessly bashed by fans (Witch Doctors and new Art concept), so they even backed out for one of these (Art Concept).
Ok I get your point now.

To answer your questions about Blizz, I've never played Diablo so I wouldn't know what is new with Diablo 3. But as far as SCII, based on the videos I've seen, nope, nothing really new, but I will have to see the final product before I make a final determination. Blizzard did however bring something new to the table with Warcraft 3, with the introduction of "Heros". Many fans didn't like it, but I did. To me I think WC3 was a big improvement over WC2, and I guess I am kind of expecting the same with SC2. I haven't seen the SC2 vids in a while, so I can't remember if there were "heroes" in it, but I would welcome them.

When the game is FINALLY released, you may be right and it may end up being the same game as the original. but as of right now I'm just welcoming a sequel as I have been waiting so long for one; I just hope its worth the wait. The last few sequels I have bought have been a bit underwhelming (GOW2, Ninja Gaiden 2, GTAIV,)
The Hero Stuff in WC3 wasn't really something new. It was just a copied idea of some other RTS game. Sorry, I can't remember the name because that game was a Warcraft 1 clone. So too long ago for my simple little nerdiness. Maybe the Blizzard guys not did that on purpose. Trying to reinvent the wheel is too low, even for them. However, let's try to think what Starcraft did to the RTS. Starcraft named the tactical maneuver, which is just building as many units as you can and bomb them at the enemy no matter how high the losses would be. Short: To zerg. And unfortunatly that's all you did in Starcraft.

In Warcraft 3 they made things different. At least a little, because you wern't able to 'zerg' with one type of unit. But in the end there also was an ultimate strategy for each race. They even have a measurement for the skill in Warcraft 3. But "Actions per minute" sounds to me just like, who is the faster guy and not who is the guy with the better strategy. So learn the ultimate strategy for every single map/race and become faster is the whole idea in Multiplayer? I simply can not recommend that.

For RTS there is only one game that i know of, where strategy things are made completly different. By having the need to spying on the enemy to even be able to counter his attacks by building the unit, which is able to do that and meanwhile do something own to attack the enemy, Supreme Commander made the best RTS concept so far. Even C&C can't keep up with the high priority on military intelligence. OK, you also are in need to be fast, but you not just build the units, which you build every single time.

All in all it's disappointing, that Warcraft and Starcraft made the Army of braidless mainstream gamers even larger. Good for me that i'm lazy and slow, so i usually play turn based strategy games, where you should be only in need for the best strategy. Unfortunatly there wasn't any good game since Etherlords, which only copied the concept of Magic the Gathering. But that's what i ment about, copying a concept is OK as long as you do it right (in my last post).

Mexicanbulge

Jan 15, 2009
Yahtzee, you malinformed frood,
To select all your flying pricks you press LB + Right trigger till you have flying pricks selected.
Complete agree about the pathfinding issues though, very annoying.
And what was all that bull at the start?
Away with that tosspot.
:)

Somthing

Jan 12, 2009
Jallis370 said:
I'll ask again: Wtf was that imp thingy in the end? And who's idea was it? Was it Paul as he didn't contribute while Graham was at it?

(I think its a bit unfair that Yahtzee did well on Unskippable but Graham got kicked in the groin in Zero Punctuation...) Reason for liking Unskippable more is because Yahtzee got sloppy and quit adding alternative music at the start and end. I lived for that!
wow complaining about the music at the end aye? ever heard about copyright you stupid ****.

xopher

Mar 16, 2009
skathe said:
first!

anyway, hilarious as always. BTW: the only good RTS that was EVER on a console EVER was Dune on the Genesis. It rocked.

After years of testing, it's obvious that RTS's do NOT belong on a console system. There are too many things to micromanage and too little control with the console controller that is just clunky when it comes to working in this capacity.
Exactly, why did Bungie even bother making this game for the 360. RTS games are meant to be played with mouse and keyboard; not a controller with 8 buttons. Didn't blizzard try that a while ago with SC on the Nintendo 64?

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
xopher said:
skathe said:
first!

Exactly, why did Bungie even bother making this game for the 360. RTS games are meant to be played with mouse and keyboard; not a controller with 8 buttons. Didn't blizzard try that a while ago with SC on the Nintendo 64?
Bungie didn't it was Ensemble studios, the makers of RTS games such as Age of Empires (correct me if i'm wrong)

LumiHawke

Dec 5, 2008
xopher said:
skathe said:
first!

Quite successfully as well, sadly hot keys didn't exist to any useful degree, but it wasn't much different from the PC version, split screen multiplayer was always fun on StarCraft on the N64, it was better on the PC however it wasn't a bad game on the N64.

Daw

Apr 6, 2009
Well i crawled out from under my rock to make an account and post!
I don't think any rts game your going to play is really going to rock your world, It's all about the build up and smash and some games want you to try to do more, But versus any AI build population limit of biggest tank/aeroplane/face roll across map and your done.

However Starcraft does have a decent storyline there are certainly plenty of bullshit missions between you and the end of the story, but overall learning to use the units and playing through the campaign was rewarding for me, More so than most other Rts games i play.

I also think playing it would give you a good retrospect of Blizzard then and now.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I have mixed feelings about the RTS genere in general. I personally think the reigning champ is Dawn of War: Soulstorm, but yeah... I don't think such games can be done correctly on consoles as they exist now.

Now if they ever decided to do something like integrate the technology from a Nintendo DS into a controller for a console (which would be expensive) you might have some kind of stylus control attached to what your doing on the big screen, and could somehow select and move units that way.

However it's a very expensive and obtuse work around for what a mouse and keyboard do much more easily.

Oh and as I said before, Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 is coming out soon. I still implore the owners of the Escapist to assign the game to Yahtzee so we can be entertained by his screams. Perhaps required half hour show dedicated to that game?

ssjSephiroth

Feb 19, 2009
I can tell by Yahtzee's reactions to the word JRPG that he's never played Tales of Symphonia. Missin' out, man, missin' out. Both segments were funny, and I'll congratulate the man from Unskippable who sounds like Mike Nelson on a good effort. Keep it up, I'll look forward to it.

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
ssjSephiroth said:
I can tell by Yahtzee's reactions to the word JRPG that he's never played Tales of Symphonia. Missin' out, man, missin' out. Both segments were funny, and I'll congratulate the man from Unskippable who sounds like Mike Nelson on a good effort. Keep it up, I'll look forward to it.
He didn't hate The World Ends With You... but he didn't exactly love it either. His qualms with JRPGs is about the same I have, and, UNLESS Tales of Symphonia is completely different to other JRPGs in that it actually gives you choice to, you know, roleplay and make actual decisions instead of just carrying the protagonist from point A to point B to trigger scripts (not counting secrets that are completely obscure and unidentifiable withing the game), then I don't know how he could come to like it any more than any other JRPGs out there.

I did play a demo of it though, and besides the... interesting combat mechanics, it didn't look to be that different from the regular JRPG, so I guess you're out of luck.

Acid Armageddon

Feb 24, 2009
toapat said:
the things wrong with Halo Wars are:
A: console game
B: Halo has sucked in every way since Halo 1
C: console game
D: not made by Blizzard
E: the game's gameplay is primarily based off of a futuristic version of Age of Mythology's gameplay
F: console game
G: not made by Blizzard

Fanboy much?