Zero Punctuation: Haze

excessum ado

Dec 27, 2007
I have to agree with him here. This game gave the PS3 bad rep. He should have done an MGS 4 review. Im curious to observe your disposition.

cutekittenkyti

Dec 12, 2007
It's sort of like, if yahtzee actually likes and enjoys the entire game, you should go out an buy it, because it's so RARE for him to think that O_O

LoneTiger

Jun 4, 2008
This sort of FPS's is one of the reasons I play RTS games more :D
I don't think I have seen a fun FPS since UT 2004 and Battlefield 2and still play them and have fun with them. Jungles and soldiers, I played FarCry so pretty much can see how it newer games in jungle end.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Prodigs said:
Haze was never and will be a remembered game, simply another FPS lost in the dust. I think that should be the goal of every developer of a current gen FPS: How can I make my game stand out, and how do I make it last?
Very true. Halo had the energy shield crap, Gears of War had ridiculous amount of gore and chainsaws, and Crysis is abnormally pretty.

I guess they all can't be manly. Sorry Crysis.

TrevorOfCrete

Jun 14, 2008
nice review, have to say Haze is never i game i ever even concidered buying, and after your review that is even more true.

PONAGE999

May 22, 2008
Yeah. I have to agree with him on this one. I was expecting a different experience when you switch sides ( noted on the back of the box!?!?!?), but if you just get a new wardrobe, this i just another crappy FPS that HAD potential, but the developers screwed it up.

Nice.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
I'm both surprised and slightly disappointed that on the review of a game named "Haze", Jimmy Hendrix's Purple Haze wasn't featured as opening or closing song.

The review was awesome though. I have to wonder, what's with developers and the idea of making your allies invincible? Kinda cuts down the atmosphere with a chainsaw when your allies just can't seem to die and you can basically use them for cover...

Comeuppance

Jun 18, 2008
Honestly, this one seems phoned in a bit. I get the feeling that there really wasn't enough to talk about with this game, but he didn't have anything better that he could prepare in time.

Not that the content was low-quality, but there just wasn't enough. It was kind of a depressing realizations that 40% of the review's length was the 2-minute ad tagged onto the end, and not an additional comedic bit to make up for the extremely short and somewhat uninspired review.

On a different note, I find it kind of silly that so many of the comments are basically "This was good, I sure won't buy that game."
...He didn't really review the game, he commented on themes. Chances are the game is alright fun, probably worth renting/pirating, beating, and never playing it again.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
Haze caught my eye thanks to the vivid yellow box art it came in...

Nice review. Thanks to that, I won't be rushing out to pay £300 for a machine to pay £45 to play it. I must admit, it mainly caught my interest because it seemed similar to Halo, which I still love to bits (not so much 2 and 3, though). But Yahtzee's right - they're all so damn samey these days that they might as well move onto a new genre and slaughter the hell out of that, too.

Comeuppance

Jun 18, 2008
tooktook said:
Random argument man said:
mstrlnk7 said:
NUMBER 1!!!! ...yay?
Gonna be ban... Unless the question mark will save your ***.
Why was he banned for two weeks? What did he do wrong?
"First!"s and "Great review!" posts (especially ones made before they could have possibly watched the feature) are annoying, without merit, and basically considered spam. People that do that get banned. Makes sense to me.

VonBlade

Mar 12, 2008
The funniest one in a while. The 2d scenery in particular was blinding.

Can I also ask The Escapist to adjust their advert tagline to :

"New Videos All Week (unless Yahtzee is away accepting an award in which case we have some re-runs. Also no-one is here for any of the other videos because they're terrible but we'll advertise them anyway because their creators have less viewers than the World Gurning Championships)".
VB

Pebsy

Jun 12, 2008
you know this was good as a review as it was hilarious, keep up the good work. I suppose haze is another game that had a usuable idea, but screwed it up bad untill it jsut evened out

Comeuppance

Jun 18, 2008
Pebsy said:
you know this was good as a review as it was hilarious, keep up the good work. I suppose haze is another game that had a usuable idea, but screwed it up bad untill it jsut evened out
"...[as good] as it was hilarious."
Veiled insult? :O

(Ratios ≠ statements of quality)

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
I have also wondered that about the expression... Well, it's not like it matters since the cake is a... Truth. Now go away.

MattMatt39

May 2, 2008
alot of games seem to enjoy ripping of space marines dont they? maybe im just saying that because i actualy get warhammer lol

very good review but i feel i shall have to buy it anyway just because ive got a ps3 not a dam 360 and this looks much better than halo