A1

Jul 9, 2009
geldonyetich said:
A1 said:
geldonyetich said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I'm surprised Yathzee actually like the game
Interesting interpretation of, "as a game, it's a stack of poo poo pancakes."

That's pretty much what I derived from researching it, really. It's not so much a game as it is a cinematic experience. Then, it's not so much a cinematic experience as it is a movie with some elements of interactions being rendered on PS3 hardware.

On the other hard, it did make Yahtzee highly uncomfortable, so it served as an excellent game for a Zero Punctuation review.
He also says the game gets getter better later. This is not a negative review. It's a mixed and somewhat ambiguous one. Hopefully he'll clarify himself with his next extra punctuation article.
That wasn't ambiguous to me. It gets better and better as something other than a game. It's as much a stack of poo poo pancakes at the beginning of the review as it is at the end of the review, as long as you're looking at it from the perspective of gameplay as opposed to cinematic experience. This is backed up with everything Yahtzee said from the beginning to the end of the review, from the poor pacing, to how the movement was handled, to how the ending was so linear.

Okay, the words that leap out at me here are "to me". That's a rather interesting interpretation you have there but Yahtzee never actually says "as something other than a game", and for that matter he doesn't use the word "linear" even once throughout the entire review. Sorry if this comes off as rude but it seems that you're just putting words in Yahtzee's mouth. Or in other words you seem to be interpreting his review in such a way as to make it match up with your own opinion.

But seriously, going back and forth on this subject is pointless because none of us can actually prove anything. The only person who truly knows what Yahtzee is saying is Yahtzee himself. The only thing we can do is wait for Yahtzee to clarify himself through one of his Extra Punctuation articles. And personally I'm very much looking forward to reading it.

Fatal-X

Feb 17, 2010
I bought Heavy Rain and after completing the game I say it's a revelation :).
The only flaw of the game are some little problems with the scenario, I mean some minor things just aren't explained. I hope that Quantic Dream will release a DLC that will fill inn the gaps.
To sum up, I give it 9/10.

Yahtzee, I thought that you will hate HR more because we know that you rather hate QTE which are core of the game ;). That just means what I say: Heavy Rain is great :D.

Looking forward for the God of War III review.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
A1 said:
geldonyetich said:
A1 said:
geldonyetich said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:

That's pretty much what I derived from researching it, really. It's not so much a game as it is a cinematic experience. Then, it's not so much a cinematic experience as it is a movie with some elements of interactions being rendered on PS3 hardware.

On the other hard, it did make Yahtzee highly uncomfortable, so it served as an excellent game for a Zero Punctuation review.
He also says the game gets getter better later. This is not a negative review. It's a mixed and somewhat ambiguous one. Hopefully he'll clarify himself with his next extra punctuation article.
That wasn't ambiguous to me. It gets better and better as something other than a game. It's as much a stack of poo poo pancakes at the beginning of the review as it is at the end of the review, as long as you're looking at it from the perspective of gameplay as opposed to cinematic experience. This is backed up with everything Yahtzee said from the beginning to the end of the review, from the poor pacing, to how the movement was handled, to how the ending was so linear.

Okay, the words that leap out at me here are "to me". That's a rather interesting interpretation you have there but Yahtzee never actually says "as something other than a game", and for that matter he doesn't use the word "linear" even once throughout the entire review.
[...]

But seriously, going back and forth on this subject is pointless because none of us can actually prove anything. The only person who truly knows what Yahtzee is saying is Yahtzee himself.
You know, I'd be the first person to say I'm tired of the old back and forth, but Yahtzee flat out says "As a game, it's a pile of poo-poo pancakes." Do you really need him to follow that sentence with "As something other than a game, it's not a pile of poo-poo pancakes" before you'll understand that's implied?

I hate to break it to you, but people don't talk that way unless maybe their name is Mojo Jojo.
Further, when he goes into the details of how the game largely is composed of long sequences of fiddle around with the furniture or wait for somebody to flip a switch somewhere in order to progress the story, then you're allowed to take part in a premade quick time event action sequence, and how the murderer doesn't change every time you play, you should be able to understand what's being described to you is largely a linear experience without him specifically mentioning the word "linear."

Are you a plant [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/2/10/] here to support Heavy Rain? Seriously, there's a maximum tolerance in which you can feign ignorance: respect it.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
Good point made.

Who walks around with a pocketfull of recording devices and leaves them scattered around like a breadcrumb trail.

As a story advancing/atmosphere setting device its been overused.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
OF COURSE YOU WEREN'T GOING TO LIKE THIS, IT IS ALL QUICKTIME EVENTS. MOST PREDICTABLE CRITIQUE EVER!

The producers who made Yahtzee play this game are so lazy. There's a whole host of news games out at the moment, pick another one.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
geldonyetich said:
A1 said:
geldonyetich said:
A1 said:
geldonyetich said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:

Okay, the words that leap out at me here are "to me". That's a rather interesting interpretation you have there but Yahtzee never actually says "as something other than a game", and for that matter he doesn't use the word "linear" even once throughout the entire review.
[...]

But seriously, going back and forth on this subject is pointless because none of us can actually prove anything. The only person who truly knows what Yahtzee is saying is Yahtzee himself.
You know, I'd be the first person to say I'm tired of the old back and forth, but Yahtzee flat out says "As a game, it's a pile of poo-poo pancakes." Do you really need him to follow that sentence with "As something other than a game, it's not a pile of poo-poo pancakes" before you'll understand that's implied?

I hate to break it to you, but people don't talk that way unless maybe their name is Mojo Jojo.
Further, when he goes into the details of how the game largely is composed of long sequences of fiddle around with the furniture or wait for somebody to flip a switch somewhere in order to progress the story, then you're allowed to take part in a premade quick time event action sequence, and how the murderer doesn't change every time you play, you should be able to understand what's being described to you is largely a linear experience without him specifically mentioning the word "linear."

Are you a plant [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/2/10/] here to support Heavy Rain? Seriously, there's a maximum tolerance in which you can feign ignorance: respect it.

He also says "once it gets going Heavy Rain has some genuinely good bits" and "for what it's worth Heavy Rain does get better later". And therein lies the problem. He has both positive and negative things to say about the game but he never draws any overarching conclusion from all these contrasting comments. He doesn't render a final verdict or give a bottom line. This is what makes the review mixed and ambiguous.

And several of the scenes in the game, of both the QTE and non-QTE varieties, involve choices that can effect the progression and outcome of the story. And while the outcome may always be the same in one particular way, in just about every other way it's quite malleable. Therefore I'm not too sure if "linear" is the best word to describe it. One word perhaps. But the best word? It's hard to say for sure.

Rydoste

Oct 17, 2009
I wonder if yahtzee is going to review Just Cause 2 when it comes out.

I mean it has swinging and all, he should check it out.

TheSeventhLoneWolf

Mar 1, 2009
Mr Thomsos said:
So Yahtzee cries for his immersion in video games, then finds something else to cry about once he gets it?
That's what makes his reviews stand up from the rest I guess. I guess he's more of a critic. Pointing out things that are terrible within the things that are 'good'.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
The castrated dog, oddly enough, will actually thank you. I can't reveal my sources. Just trust me on this one.

Unfortunately (for everyone but the dog), you will still have the wrist problems.

Corohan

Mar 11, 2010
BGH122 said:
I bought Heavy Rain at the full whack and it wasn't really worth it. I can see that it'd be great to play as a rental, but that's all. It takes about eight hours to complete it properly and it has zero replayability.
There's more than 22 different endings in the game and by that I don't mean those Fallout 3-type of endings. I've never played another game where your choices could have such a dramatic consequence on the game so it's not exactly fair to say that the game has zero replayability now is it?

Aisha Bonner

Mar 20, 2010
Thank you for not going along with all the others reviewers who have given then piece of crap 10's. After playing the game for two hours I was ready to return the game and then the next day I saw all the reviews...9.5, 9.75, 10...I was like 'WHAT'???? Did everyone drink the f****** kool aid??? Anyway thanks for calling crap...crap. :)

Aisha Bonner

Mar 20, 2010
The whole consequense claim, is a line of cock and bull. I went through a number of scenes doing different thngs and the bottom line is often times you make different choices and the outcome is exacty the same. I was so dissappointed, they had a chance to do some thing truly unique and instead they mucked it up with bad voice acting, stiff moving animations, a plot with holes as large as the great state of Texas. Vision...10, Intent...10, Execution...0. Heavy Rain...EPIC FAIL.

Anbuc

Mar 11, 2010
BlueInkAlchemist said:
The only reason to re-read a mystery story is if the detectives are enjoyable - Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot, etc.
Very true, people watch movies over and over again even though they know the outcome will be the same EVERYTIME. At least with Heavy Rain the endings can be different.

Kumomaru

May 21, 2008
I think the problem with changing who the murderer would have been would be for a few reasons:

one: what you do at point Y is not going to change what someone did at point X. It just might let you find out faster.

Two: i haven't played the game but it seems to me the clues would be set in such a way as to utterly prevent someone from being the culprit in one place, and make someone more likely in another. You would have to find a section where very little had already happened to branch off into different 'whos' for your 'who done it', which judging from this review is just the part where you are walking around the house shaking orange juice. Really, how is shaking orange juice left or right going to change the outcome? if you have some big arguement at a barbecue that leads to the murder, MAYBE.

Three: Does it really matter all that much? Most games end the same way every time anyway, heavy rain may have the same perpetrator but it has different endings.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Mr Thomsos said:
So Yahtzee cries for his immersion in video games, then finds something else to cry about once he gets it?
*Snap*
Seriously though, it is a pretty fun game and Yahtzee is right, pretending the FBI agent is a time traveller is much more fun.

Fatal-X said:
I bought Heavy Rain and after completing the game I say it's a revelation :).
The only flaw of the game are some little problems with the scenario, I mean some minor things just aren't explained. I hope that Quantic Dream will release a DLC that will fill inn the gaps.
To sum up, I give it 9/10.

Yahtzee, I thought that you will hate HR more because we know that you rather hate QTE which are core of the game ;). That just means what I say: Heavy Rain is great :D.

Looking forward for the God of War III review.
They have announce a DLC called "The Taxidermist" I think.