Zero Punctuation: Hitman: Absolution

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
2,213
0
0
Well, I've actually become more interested in Hitman: Blood Money as a result of this, but not Hitman: Absolution.
HURRAH FOR LOGIC!
 

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
2,362
0
0
The in-game score tracker is easily my biggest gripe about the gameplay. I literally would reset every time I was spotted or failed to be absolutely perfect because of the severe point loss for certain actions (like getting spotted or murdering civilians. The scoring system itself was fine, but having that bar in the upper hand corner just changed my motivations and techniques along a strict linear path.
 

blackrave

New member
Mar 7, 2012
2,020
0
0
Yahtzee, you know, that when even voices in your head tries to persuade you to attend the therapy, they are right!
And if furniture claims that you are insane it is also tight.
 

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
1,524
174
68
I hoped you wouldn't be too harsh on Absolution.It's a good game and it tries its best to combine classic Hitman gameplay with the gameplay of more conventional stealth-games to create a more varied and more storydriven experience.
 

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
3,073
0
0
Agent 47 actually has a band aid over his bar code because he attempts to cut it off, as shown in a cutscene.
 

Yahtzee Croshaw

New member
Aug 8, 2007
11,049
0
0
come to think of it there is a destinct lack of games in the graphically dismembering theme park mascots in creative ways genre.. next on kick starter maybe?
 

Yahtzee Croshaw

New member
Aug 8, 2007
11,049
0
0
I suppose a few good missions are better than nun.
And I didn't think Yahtzee would complain about sniper rifles being left out for you, considering he's so tigger happy.
 

Eternal_Lament

New member
Sep 23, 2010
559
0
0
Normally the action bit would deter me, but with both this and Dishonored on my Christmas list, I figure I'll have at least the best of both worlds: the somewhat more serious yet visually stylish stealth game and the somewhat cartoony yet realistic looking stealth action.
 

Stabby Joe

New member
Jul 30, 2008
1,545
0
0
I wouldn't consider Hitman 2 the worst as quickly conveyed in this review. I have yet to play this one as I'm less enthused the more I hear and I love the series, even Contracts, which I'd consider the "worst" - emphasis on quotations.
 

PunkRex

New member
Feb 19, 2010
2,533
0
0
Mattteus said:
fish bone in the cock hole? *insert Wunderboner reference here*
My wife would like that.

OT: Why does everything stupid claim to be Grindhouse?
 

Kargathia

New member
Jul 16, 2009
1,657
0
0
Stabby Joe said:
I wouldn't consider Hitman 2 the worst as quickly conveyed in this review. I have yet to play this one as I'm less enthused the more I hear and I love the series, even Contracts, which I'd consider the "worst" - emphasis on quotations.
Can you say Contracts was the worst game, when every installment significantly improved upon its predecessor? Contracts sin wasn't that it was -bad- (it was still downright excellent), it was that it didn't revolutionise every single aspect of the game as much as Silent Assassin did - it merely improved it by leaps and bounds.
 

AMMO Kid

New member
Jan 2, 2009
1,810
0
0
I'm glad you hold Blood Money as the best and Silent Assassin as the worst. The Hitman series is my favorite and I never got why everyone loved the second game so much.
 

Inuprince

New member
Aug 12, 2008
209
0
0
I'm so happy that the Ocelot God appears regularly in the videos, and wasn't just a one-time joke.
 

Chester Rabbit

New member
Dec 7, 2011
1,004
0
0
Hm I found that quite fair and every gripe he had with the game I myself also have.
Though I am tending to enjoy that it is story driven (just the once thank you)
And might I also add that for the most part I am enjoying the game
despite its save system and disguises almost being useless.
And in the end I agree. No the best *waves at blood money* Not the worst *nods to the first game*
It's just good and I'm alright with that so long as nobody takes Hitman the way Ubisoft took Sam Fisher after Conviction o_O!!
Okay back to laughing at from this review.
 

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
454
0
0
"... several degrees better than a fish skeleton down the cock-hole"
My, did the Hour of Love from the Escapist Expo rub on you, Yahtzee? That is mighty praise!
 

Zombie_Moogle

New member
Dec 25, 2008
666
0
0
AMMO Kid said:
I'm glad you hold Blood Money as the best and Silent Assassin as the worst. The Hitman series is my favorite and I never got why everyone loved the second game so much.
I thought I disliked the Hitman games prior to watching this, but the only one I had played was Hitman 2, which I've now been informed was the worst in the series. Might give them another try
 

Punch You

New member
Dec 12, 2010
131
0
0
Anyone else think Yahtzee should review Playstation Allstars? I think we need another game like Brawl that will make Yahtzee go absoutely berserk. I don't think we've had one of those in a while.
 

Smolderin

New member
Feb 5, 2012
448
0
0
Yahtzee:
Several degrees better than a fish-skeleton down the cock-hole.
Wow! That is high praise coming from Yahtzee, good on the developers! Ha ha ha, I kid. You would be hard pressed to impress the almost un-impressible. I played the game myself and it is pretty decent....not great mind you but I think the developers are on to something. I would encourage them to continue on this path and learn from their mistakes. Anyways, once again a great vid from Yahtzee...bringing smiles to my face every Wednesday.
 

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
2,315
1
3
Country
United States
Waaghpowa said:
Agent 47 actually has a band aid over his bar code because he attempts to cut it off, as shown in a cutscene.
That kind of makes the whole thing sound worse actually.

Anyway, good show Yahtzee.
Also, why are you so scared of theme park mascots? I remember from the review of Epic Mickey it had something to do with you going to Disney Land as a kid, right?
 

Doom972

New member
Dec 25, 2008
2,312
0
0
"Neither the worst or the best Hitman" Sums it up well. Since I like even the worst Hitman game (that's codename 47, IMO), I found it very enjoyable.

The Contracts mode was inspired by the Hitman community habit of posting fan-made contracts on forums and challenging other players to do them, and it's implemented quite well.

People complain about the new score system but it has been a part of every Hitman game since Silent Assassin. The only difference is that if you fucked something up, you know about it immediately and won't get disappointed when you find out you didn't get the score you were trying to get at the end of the level.

One thing that bugged me was the way that they implemented challenges and unlockables. I knew that they're there, but I didn't really feel their effect.

I'd say that it's the 3rd best Hitman game: Blood Money > Silent Assassin > Absolution > Contracts > Codename 47.
 

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
3,073
0
0
Imp Emissary said:
Waaghpowa said:
Agent 47 actually has a band aid over his bar code because he attempts to cut it off, as shown in a cutscene.
That kind of makes the whole thing sound worse actually.
Why? Because he made an attempt to carve a chunk of his flesh off? Sounds like a better way to hide an easily identifiable marking than simply putting a piece of tap over it.

But I suppose that simply having a band aid in the spot where the bar code was might raise suspicion from people who are looking for a man who is supposed to have a bar code on the back of his head.
 

Doom972

New member
Dec 25, 2008
2,312
0
0
Waaghpowa said:
Imp Emissary said:
Waaghpowa said:
Agent 47 actually has a band aid over his bar code because he attempts to cut it off, as shown in a cutscene.
That kind of makes the whole thing sound worse actually.
Why? Because he made an attempt to carve a chunk of his flesh off? Sounds like a better way to hide an easily identifiable marking than simply putting a piece of tap over it.

But I suppose that simply having a band aid in the spot where the bar code was might raise suspicion from people who are looking for a man who is supposed to have a bar code on the back of his head.
I never got why he couldn't just start using wigs. Ever since I played the first game, I wondered if they'll implement it in the next game.
 

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
2,315
1
3
Country
United States
Waaghpowa said:
Imp Emissary said:
Waaghpowa said:
Agent 47 actually has a band aid over his bar code because he attempts to cut it off, as shown in a cutscene.
That kind of makes the whole thing sound worse actually.
Why? Because he made an attempt to carve a chunk of his flesh off? Sounds like a better way to hide an easily identifiable marking than simply putting a piece of tap over it.

But I suppose that simply having a band aid in the spot where the bar code was might raise suspicion from people who are looking for a man who is supposed to have a bar code on the back of his head.
No. It's worse because that means he did a really crap job of cutting it of, seeing as you can still see it on either side of the band aid, or did that change?

If not I agree with the person saying; "Why can't he just put on a wig?". Because even if he did cut it off, I think he could still be soptted by the pretty big scar cutting it off would leave.
 

Furrama

New member
Jul 24, 2008
295
0
0
Yes Yahtzee. Listen to your inner ocelot. Burn them. Burn them to the ground!

Mwahahaha!
 

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
3,073
0
0
Imp Emissary said:
If not I agree with the person saying; "Why can't he just put on a wig?". Because even if he did cut it off, I think he could still be soptted by the pretty big scar cutting it off would leave.
He wouldn't look like a bad ass if he wore a wig, imagine if he wore a Owen Wilson wig.
 

Preacher zer0

New member
Jun 13, 2010
123
0
0
I was bitterly dissapointed with Absolution... until I switched to Purist difficulty and restarted the entire game and now I'm enjoying it.

I do miss the agency support, collecting and choosing weapons for the jobs and a few other features.
Absolution is 100% story driven and some expected Hitman gameplay features have been bent and bowed (or just removed) to fit that narrative.

We've been "off the books" with 47 before but this time we get not a single crumb of help from anyone, including the designers.

It's enjoyable enough story-wise (if a little... boombastic) as I did kinda care about the narrative running through the series and it feels more like Hitman when you play on Purist but even so, once I've finished the story and uploaded the most brutally impossible contract I can possibly create, I'll still be going back to Blood Money whenever I get the urge to play a random Hitman mission.

In fact what Absolution has mostly done is make me decide to get BM for the PC (my old copy is ps2) and dig out Hitman 2 and Codename 47 and play the whole saga all over again.


Big Fat Edit: ...oh and dudes, he didn't mutilate the barcode to HIDE anything.

Symbolisim ffs!

He did it for himself.

To symbolically feel that he has literally severed his connection to the agency.
Like a cop handing in his badge... except when your badge is inked into your head, you may need to take extreme measures.

It's a moment designed to let us see a little more of how 47 views himself as a person.
It's a warrior making a gesture to himself, a promise to himself and Diana and the girl marked in the only real currency he knows... blood and pain.

This is another major reason why games are being dumbed down... it's not always the developers or publishers who are to blame. >.>
 

inkheart_artist

New member
Jan 22, 2009
274
0
0
It's always weird listening to Yahtzee's reviews of games I've never played and have no interest in either way. Especially when most of the core of the review is about comparing it to earlier iterations I didn't find interesting enough to try either. It's like you're missing half of the joke. Still, sounded like it was a competent review of the game, I guess.
 

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
2,315
1
3
Country
United States
Waaghpowa said:
Imp Emissary said:
If not I agree with the person saying; "Why can't he just put on a wig?". Because even if he did cut it off, I think he could still be soptted by the pretty big scar cutting it off would leave.
He wouldn't look like a bad ass if he wore a wig, imagine if he wore a Owen Wilson wig.


-_- You are sentenced to death by this gavel.
 

Al-Bundy-da-G

New member
Apr 11, 2011
929
0
0
Liked the review and Absolution, but is anyone else annoyed about the pop-out video frame/ad that there is apparently no escape from, except the back button?
 

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
2,315
1
3
Country
United States
Furrama said:
Yes Yahtzee. Listen to your inner ocelot. Burn them. Burn them to the ground!

Mwahahaha!
Ummm...The ocelot said to get therapy actually.....
 

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
3,073
0
0
Imp Emissary said:
Waaghpowa said:
Imp Emissary said:
If not I agree with the person saying; "Why can't he just put on a wig?". Because even if he did cut it off, I think he could still be soptted by the pretty big scar cutting it off would leave.
He wouldn't look like a bad ass if he wore a wig, imagine if he wore a Owen Wilson wig.


-_- You are sentenced to death by this gavel.
Oh come on, Judge wigs make anyone look like a bad ass.
 

Sheo_Dagana

New member
Aug 12, 2009
966
0
0
I burst out laughing when he ripped on the scoring system. It's true... I really hate it as well. It would force me to want to reset every goddamn time I was spotted or did something 'wrong', not because I was trying to get challenges or anything, but because I would look up in the corner, see the negative score, and sigh heavily. It's worth noting, however, that if you knock a guy out and then hide his body, the negative score you get will be balanced out by the score received for hiding a body.

To play Devil's Advocate, I'll say that the 'US Average/World Average Score' posted at the beginning of each level was kind of nice. It gave you an idea of what you were in for and kind of encouraged me to explore a bit more before leaving a level. A post-game score wouldn't have done that. So I guess I'd say to post the averages in the beginning of the level, and keep the player's score secret until the end.

I agree that this is not really the best Hitman, nor is it the worst. Absolution has a surprising emphasis on stealth, one that shocked me just a bit. I kept thinking, "Soon these tutorials will end, then I'll get my sandbox." The Sandbox never really comes, at least not on the scale of anything in Blood Money.

I know, I know... part of me wants to like Absolution better because there is a more obvious attempt at telling a story than in the past games, and it certainly affords the player more choice than other modern games do, but Blood Money is just better. I suppose I would say that Absolution is a great game, but only an okay Hitman title.
 

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
2,315
1
3
Country
United States
Waaghpowa said:
Imp Emissary said:
Waaghpowa said:
Imp Emissary said:
If not I agree with the person saying; "Why can't he just put on a wig?". Because even if he did cut it off, I think he could still be soptted by the pretty big scar cutting it off would leave.
He wouldn't look like a bad ass if he wore a wig, imagine if he wore a Owen Wilson wig.


-_- You are sentenced to death by this gavel.
Oh come on, Judge wigs make anyone look like a bad ass.
Hmmm. Okay.
THe sentence is reduced to Agent 47 trying to beat you for one hour.


-_- It won't hurt but after about 15 minutes, you'll feel every silly!
 

Dead Seerius

New member
Feb 4, 2012
865
0
0
After weeks of hearing Yahtzee preach about how much he dislikes the 'spunkgargleweewee' genre, this review was pleasantly enjoyable.

Funny? Check.

Honest? Check.

Actually talks about and reviews main aspects of the game? Praise tha Lawd, check!
 

Roman Monaghan

New member
Nov 20, 2010
101
0
0
Does that mean he thought Hitman 2 was the worst one? Cuz I agree and relate to him even more now.

I also like how when he said "only a few missions are like the traditional Hitman games" he had two imps representing the missions, which is also how I felt, that only The King of Chinatown and arguably Shaving Lenny were actual Hitman levels, and even then Shaving Lenny had that annoying second half of the level that was annoyingly impossible on hard mode if you didn't get a disguise in the first half. Maybe you could count the second half of the hotel level where you murder the lady, but bleh, I really don't.

This engine coulda worked a lot better if they used it to make a Hitman game instead of a Splinter Cell game with Hitman levels in it.
 

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
2,755
0
0
Funny review. I've found myself torn by Absolution as many reviews are praising the story and what not but I don't play Hitman games for small linear levels. Perhaps I'll just reinstall Blood Money.
 

Roman Monaghan

New member
Nov 20, 2010
101
0
0
Preacher zer0 said:
Big Fat Edit: ...oh and dudes, he didn't mutilate the barcode to HIDE anything.

Symbolisim ffs!

He did it for himself.

To symbolically feel that he has literally severed his connection to the agency.
Like a cop handing in his badge... except when your badge is inked into your head, you may need to take extreme measures.

It's a moment designed to let us see a little more of how 47 views himself as a person.
It's a warrior making a gesture to himself, a promise to himself and Diana and the girl marked in the only real currency he knows... blood and pain.

This is another major reason why games are being dumbed down... it's not always the developers or publishers who are to blame. >.>
Also symbolized by how, over the course of the game, his iconic suit gets broken down. From the third level where it's all untidy and the collar is put up and his tie isn't clipped in, till it's nothing but a jacket and a button up shirt. He's losing himself in his quest when at first all he wanted to do was distance himself from his connections with the Agency. Then by the end he suits up and starts fighting as himself again, not for the Agency exactly, but reclaiming his identity as an Assassin. The reclaiming of the Silverballers helped with that too. Until finally at the end he's back in business *spoilers, but you should know what that means ;3 *

The Artificially Prolonged said:
Funny review. I've found myself torn by Absolution as many reviews are praising the story and what not but I don't play Hitman games for small linear levels. Perhaps I'll just reinstall Blood Money.
Spoilers: the story is actually dog shit. The reviews are lying to you. Contracts had a better fucking story then this tripe.
 

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
2,755
0
0
Roman Monaghan said:
Preacher zer0 said:
Big Fat Edit: ...oh and dudes, he didn't mutilate the barcode to HIDE anything.

Symbolisim ffs!

He did it for himself.

To symbolically feel that he has literally severed his connection to the agency.
Like a cop handing in his badge... except when your badge is inked into your head, you may need to take extreme measures.

It's a moment designed to let us see a little more of how 47 views himself as a person.
It's a warrior making a gesture to himself, a promise to himself and Diana and the girl marked in the only real currency he knows... blood and pain.

This is another major reason why games are being dumbed down... it's not always the developers or publishers who are to blame. >.>
Also symbolized by how, over the course of the game, his iconic suit gets broken down. From the third level where it's all untidy and the collar is put up and his tie isn't clipped in, till it's nothing but a jacket and a button up shirt. He's losing himself in his quest when at first all he wanted to do was distance himself from his connections with the Agency. Then by the end he suits up and starts fighting as himself again, not for the Agency exactly, but reclaiming his identity as an Assassin. The reclaiming of the Silverballers helped with that too. Until finally at the end he's back in business *spoilers, but you should know what that means ;3 *

The Artificially Prolonged said:
Funny review. I've found myself torn by Absolution as many reviews are praising the story and what not but I don't play Hitman games for small linear levels. Perhaps I'll just reinstall Blood Money.
Spoilers: the story is actually dog shit. The reviews are lying to you. Contracts had a better fucking story then this tripe.
Okay thanks for the heads up, reinstall Blood Money it is :D
 

RobfromtheGulag

New member
May 18, 2010
931
0
0
"Lonely jizz handle(r) who gives 2 f*s about perfect scores"

This one's a keeper.

There's people that play games for fun. There's people that play games to impress. And then there's people that play for the perfect score.

That last one is just so incredibly arbitrary, because it often times does not coincide with the 2nd one. People are impressed when you find a new glitch, or kill a guy with a teacup against all odds.
 

IronMit

New member
Jul 24, 2012
533
0
0
I agree with the comment , 2 posts before me

I don't care about story when it comes to Hitman, but omg this was bad. It is the worst hitman 'story'...the hitman background story that slowly unveiled between levels in any of the other Hitmans are much much better

IO interactive kayne and lynch idiots saying stuff like 'limp dik' becomes apparently that's dark and artistic.

2 or 3 levels with promise then the rest A to B linear missions. sigh.

Btw I completed a few hitman blood money levels on my first attempt....took me like 3 hours on each one though. You just have to be really really patient...and you have 3 saves. use it before doing anything risky
 

Racecarlock

New member
Jul 10, 2010
2,497
0
0
PsychedelicDiamond said:
I hoped you wouldn't be too harsh on Absolution.It's a good game and it tries its best to combine classic Hitman gameplay with the gameplay of more conventional stealth-games to create a more varied and more storydriven experience.
If gameplay matters so little in comparison to story, why not have all games just be virtual books that you turn pages on?
 

josemlopes

New member
Jun 9, 2008
3,950
0
0
For me its
-Best-
Hitman Blood Money
Hitman Silent Assassing
Hitman Contracts
.
.
.
.
.
.
Hitman Codename 47
-Worst-


Contrats is just a few steps below Silent Assassin, the atmosphere is a lot better but overall it feels short and pointless. Havent played Absolution yet
 

Yahtzee Croshaw

New member
Aug 8, 2007
11,049
0
0
OuendanCyrus said:
"Whoops! One hundred points from Gryffindor!"

This ain't youtube where posting a quote of what is said in the video makes you cool.
I'd like also to criticize people who decide if they're going or not to buy a game based on Yhatzee critics, he's a comedian/critic, not a reviewer.

About the video, not funny, but I never played a Hitman game, so I can't visualize in my head what he's saying.
 

Hutzpah Chicken

New member
Mar 13, 2012
344
0
0
This game sounds like it would be cool under the condition that you can do incredibly ridiculous things, like killing people with a chainsaw shotgun.
 

Stabby Joe

New member
Jul 30, 2008
1,545
0
0
Kargathia said:
Stabby Joe said:
I wouldn't consider Hitman 2 the worst as quickly conveyed in this review. I have yet to play this one as I'm less enthused the more I hear and I love the series, even Contracts, which I'd consider the "worst" - emphasis on quotations.
Can you say Contracts was the worst game, when every installment significantly improved upon its predecessor? Contracts sin wasn't that it was -bad- (it was still downright excellent), it was that it didn't revolutionise every single aspect of the game as much as Silent Assassin did - it merely improved it by leaps and bounds.
I use "worst" very loosely, I really like contracts to but it disappointed me having less scope, redone levels (which were great but new is always better) and little narrative. That said on your basis, which is fine, the first should be considered the "worst". Either way Silent Assassin isn't.
 

Darth_Payn

New member
Aug 5, 2009
2,868
0
0
My favorite bits are the sniper rifle saying "Hello, Sailor", the supernuns, and the stuff about Mexican wrestler's nipples. And when was the last appearance of the Imaginary Ocelot?
 

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
470
0
0
I definitely wan't to check out this game, although I'm not sure if I like the fact that some levels are very linear. Oh well, as long as it's not every level.
 

WWmelb

New member
Sep 7, 2011
702
0
0
I posted another thing about this game... my main concern with it was that on PS3 it has seemed buggy as all shit, to the point of crashing my PS and forcing a system restore... my time with the game:

About 2 hours into it story wise... more playtime than that cos i kinda suck pretty badly at it.... but so far:

Random respawns that shouldn't happen.
Invisible ghost men that pound you to death
Invisible ghost men with visible floating firearms that shoot you to death
Load into a level only for every cop on the map to come charging at me to kill me before i've even moved
Quasi bust in the gun shop in dakota where all people in the level pulled out the guns and started an impromptu conga line around the map
1 random game crash
1 random console restart
1 complete console crash resulting in having to do a system restore.

Has anyone else had these sorts of issues?

And yes.. score counter in the corner pisses me off too. Story is kinda cool in principle, but as disjointed as all shit.

Like the game, don't love it... don't appreciate the having to enter a friggin code in the playstation store to access a part of the game that you need access to in order to get money in order to get upgrades for the campaign portion of the game.
 

Yahtzee Croshaw

New member
Aug 8, 2007
11,049
0
0
Doom972 said:
"Neither the worst or the best Hitman" Sums it up well. Since I like even the worst Hitman game (that's codename 47, IMO), I found it very enjoyable.

The Contracts mode was inspired by the Hitman community habit of posting fan-made contracts on forums and challenging other players to do them, and it's implemented quite well.

People complain about the new score system but it has been a part of every Hitman game since Silent Assassin. The only difference is that if you fucked something up, you know about it immediately and won't get disappointed when you find out you didn't get the score you were trying to get at the end of the level.

One thing that bugged me was the way that they implemented challenges and unlockables. I knew that they're there, but I didn't really feel their effect.

I'd say that it's the 3rd best Hitman game: Blood Money > Silent Assassin > Absolution > Contracts > Codename 47.
Exactly.

Who ever designed the control scheme should be shot.

NO WASD.

Just the fucking number keys and a BROKEN way to interact with objects and switch weapons.

Its like trying to win a race without a steering wheel and a broken transmission.

The non existent autosave is another problem.
 

Yahtzee Croshaw

New member
Aug 8, 2007
11,049
0
0
josemlopes said:
For me its
-Best-
Hitman Blood Money
Hitman Silent Assassing
Hitman Contracts
.
.
.
.
.
.
Hitman Codename 47
-Worst-


Contrats is just a few steps below Silent Assassin, the atmosphere is a lot better but overall it feels short and pointless. Havent played Absolution yet
Absolution is basically Silent Assassin 2.0.

Same basic story, same restrictions. Same disguise system.
 

Yahtzee Croshaw

New member
Aug 8, 2007
11,049
0
0
The Gentleman said:
The in-game score tracker is easily my biggest gripe about the gameplay. I literally would reset every time I was spotted or failed to be absolutely perfect because of the severe point loss for certain actions (like getting spotted or murdering civilians. The scoring system itself was fine, but having that bar in the upper hand corner just changed my motivations and techniques along a strict linear path.
Put the game up on a higher difficulty and you can start to recognize all the broken mechanics of the stealth and costume design. I do like 47's voice acting.
 

Doom972

New member
Dec 25, 2008
2,312
0
0
Ultratwinkie said:
Doom972 said:
"Neither the worst or the best Hitman" Sums it up well. Since I like even the worst Hitman game (that's codename 47, IMO), I found it very enjoyable.

The Contracts mode was inspired by the Hitman community habit of posting fan-made contracts on forums and challenging other players to do them, and it's implemented quite well.

People complain about the new score system but it has been a part of every Hitman game since Silent Assassin. The only difference is that if you fucked something up, you know about it immediately and won't get disappointed when you find out you didn't get the score you were trying to get at the end of the level.

One thing that bugged me was the way that they implemented challenges and unlockables. I knew that they're there, but I didn't really feel their effect.

I'd say that it's the 3rd best Hitman game: Blood Money > Silent Assassin > Absolution > Contracts > Codename 47.
Exactly.

Who ever designed the control scheme should be shot.

NO WASD.

Just the fucking number keys and a BROKEN way to interact with objects and switch weapons.

Its like trying to win a race without a steering wheel and a broken transmission.

The non existent autosave is another problem.
In Codename: 47, you actually have 2 premade configurations - the default being the numpad one, and the other being the WASD one. You still have to make changes so that A and D would be strafing, rather than turning. One of the problems that you can't fix (At least not without using some third party software), is that for some unexplained reason someone at IOI thought that it would be a good idea to have seperate buttons for walking and running.
Despite its faults, I love that game.
 

jpoon

New member
Mar 26, 2009
1,995
0
0
Hah, awesome review. Pretty damn glad I didn't buy this crap so far, doesn't look like I missed anything worthy.
 

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
1,698
0
0
And now we know how bloody bunny got so bloody. He wasn't too fuzzy was he?
 

scott91575

New member
Jun 8, 2009
270
0
0
Yep, pretty dead on. Blood Money was an absolute masterpiece. This game, not so much. There are a couple of fun levels that are reminiscent of Blood Money, but for the most part it's mediocre. I would recommend picking it up on sale.

Oh, and the story feels like it was written by Bevis and Butthead. It wasn't even over the top funny or clever. It was just stupid and often crude for the sake of being crude.

I also couldn't get the image of Keith Carradine out of my head when the villain talked, and they really don't match up. I guess he needed the money, because Carradine has done some good acting in his day but his dialogue in Hitman was pants on head stupid. No decent actor in their right mind would look at the script and think "oh, this is a chance to really challenge my acting skills." Nope, more like "well, it pays enough, ok, I'll do it. Luckily enough most of the people I know don't play video games."
 

Saika Renegade

New member
Nov 18, 2009
298
0
0
The Jarate reference made me burst out laughing.

I have to admit, the main reason I played Hitman in the past was to find new and interesting ways to off someone (or everyone), and from the sounds of it I suspect there will be disappointment in my future with regards to the creative murdering if I give this one a go.
 

duchaked

New member
Dec 25, 2008
4,451
0
0
looked pretty fun to me, tho I haven't played the previous games since I'm not generally good at stealth games. but I guess the game would simply give a worse score for more messy playthroughs huh? xD i.e. killing half the people because I panicked
 

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
732
0
0
I'm surprised Yahtzee wants to kill a lot of mascots despite not caring for that in Saints Row The Third.

But beyond that I'm glad that I had to make another budget cut to games like Absolution in order to save money. Because a certain bald guy had to have another prequel called Ascension.

Edit
Posted at 3:16 AM & reminding me of another bald guy....
 

Milanezi

New member
Mar 2, 2009
619
0
0
I'm near the end of Absolution, and though it's a great game, it's not quite the Hitman I once knew. It takes a Tarantino style bringing a story that looks out of place in the real world, such as The Saints, who show up out of nowhere for no real good reason, as if they were thrown in the game because "they looked cool". But that's not a problem, the problem is the way the game was modernized...

In what i can only guess was an attempt to keep Hitman alive with modern audiences, the game was made much less strategic and much more action oriented. For instance, remember when you had a HUGE environment with a few windows of opportunity (some which you could only get wrong or right ONCE) to take down a target? So you'd walk up and down on your suit, until you decided to get a look backstage, meaning you'd have to disguise yourself, and so on. This no longer happens. Those "windows of opportunity" happen often in the game, the targets staying right on spot as if shouting "look I can be killed here!", and to make matters worse, the environments are small: you often begin in point A, and have to arrive on point B (the game will usually give you about 2 ways to get there, noticed or unnoticed, really, like Metal Gear), then that changes the level for point B to C, and when you arrive at C you get a slightly bigger scenario to plot the target's assassination. It all feels very straightforward and unprofessional, not to mention that most missions take place in environments you can't be in, so you're always hiding, and not like just use the disguise, cause they end up getting even more attention to yourself.

I know, it sounds like I hated the game, i didn't, I'm enjoying it a lot. But the gameplay is totally different from what hitman used to be, and as someone else aptly put, makes it feel like a cheap knock-off of MGS and Deus Ex.
 

Milanezi

New member
Mar 2, 2009
619
0
0
duchaked said:
looked pretty fun to me, tho I haven't played the previous games since I'm not generally good at stealth games. but I guess the game would simply give a worse score for more messy playthroughs huh? xD i.e. killing half the people because I panicked
That's right, but it's VERY hard if you don't go on stealth
 

impocalyptic

New member
Oct 31, 2011
84
0
0
It does seem like the games do get better. Hitman 2 was weak in gameplay and barely serviceable in story. Blood money was freakin' sweet though. Contracts was pretty good though. It does kind of feel like contracts got lost in the shift from crap to awesome. But definitely worth one play through. It also saves the trouble of having to play through hitman 1.
 

SnowBurst

New member
Jul 2, 2012
276
0
0
its square enix... your going to be disappointed a lot more than impressed by those guys
 

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
1,524
174
68
Racecarlock said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
I hoped you wouldn't be too harsh on Absolution.It's a good game and it tries its best to combine classic Hitman gameplay with the gameplay of more conventional stealth-games to create a more varied and more storydriven experience.
If gameplay matters so little in comparison to story, why not have all games just be virtual books that you turn pages on?
Oh, actually i think, gameplay is more important than the plot. It's what distinguishes games as a medium.
 

Racecarlock

New member
Jul 10, 2010
2,497
0
0
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Racecarlock said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
I hoped you wouldn't be too harsh on Absolution.It's a good game and it tries its best to combine classic Hitman gameplay with the gameplay of more conventional stealth-games to create a more varied and more storydriven experience.
If gameplay matters so little in comparison to story, why not have all games just be virtual books that you turn pages on?
Oh, actually i think, gameplay is more important than the plot. It's what distinguishes games as a medium.
Well, thing is, I don't think yahtzee really wanted a more conventional stealth game. He wanted a massive open map blood money style game, but they shrunk everything to fit a story. Story is nice, but I think it should stop at the point where the world and gameplay are both being compromised to fit one. At least when it comes to games like this. And GTA type games too. There was way too much scripted crap in GTA IV.
 

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
1,524
174
68
Racecarlock said:
Well, thing is, I don't think yahtzee really wanted a more conventional stealth game. He wanted a massive open map blood money style game, but they shrunk everything to fit a story. Story is nice, but I think it should stop at the point where the world and gameplay are both being compromised to fit one. At least when it comes to games like this. And GTA type games too. There was way too much scripted crap in GTA IV.
Absolution is not as good as Blood Money... i'm not gonna argue that. But i respect Eidos for trying to do something different with the franchise without failing as hard as they could have. Yes, there's room for improvement but i think they managed to preserve what made Blood Money great while adding some variety to the way missions are designed. Yes, the game could have done without the more linear sections but i can't say i didn't have fun with them too.
 

Steveypoos

New member
Sep 8, 2011
2
0
0
47 isn't an assassin, Yahtzee. An assassin and hitman are both separate with regard motivation and ethics.
 

Standby

New member
Jul 24, 2008
531
0
0
Hitman 2 was the worst game? Oh Yahtzee, now I just KNOW you're trying to be controversial.
 

MalkHead

New member
Jun 30, 2010
1
0
0
Good point by Yahtzee about Hitman 2, can't stand it.
Blood Money > Codename 47 > Contracts > Absolution > a fish skeleton down the cockhole > Silent Assassin
What's all this hate on Codename 47, anyway? I bet it's because it's too hard for you without mid-mission saves. The jungle levels are weak, true, but all the other levels are quite diverse and have a very distinct atmosphere. Coupled with refreshingly wonderful soundtrack, it is surpassed only by Blood Money.
 

The Night Shade

New member
Oct 15, 2009
2,468
0
0
I liked this one, the things that they changed were for the story, i admit i would have preferred a game based more on gameplay than story since that is why i play the hitman games but is quite a nice change comparing it to recent games, I miss having to chose your own equipment and upgrading it for a mission since it made the game more fun and added replayability, some levels are more linear and pretty easy to do except on Purist difficulty if you want to play a badass hitman game get this one and use purist difficulty only it won't disappoint.I didn't mind to much the score bar on top of the screen because it pushes you to be more careful and in the end you get a lot better thanks to it,i have to admit i had a lot of fun with this one. I advise you to play the other games first, blood Money is amazing, Hitman 2 has the best levels, contracts is kinda bland but fun and codename 47 is interesting.
 

Biodeamon

New member
Apr 11, 2011
1,652
0
0
speaking of tf2...
http://cdn.trilogy.hk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/spy-disguise.jpg
It seems that clothes actually do make the mann in video games.

(seriously why has nobody thought of this reference?)
 

TheUnbeholden

New member
Dec 13, 2007
193
0
0
Theirs the issues that bring it down from Blood Money like manual saves replaced with that "checkpoints" bullcheese, and also removes your ability to choose your loadout though story wise it does make some sense though you'd think 47 would have some armament stash somewhere.
& the stuff ZP says about the story focus which slightly sacrifices gameplay, where most of the levels are a bit to small.

Don't care about "instinct mode" or the score bar at the top, I can ignore that.
 

harryjre

New member
Nov 27, 2008
6
0
0
When he talked about running through the level "smacking your bum" to find where everything is, I was thinking it might help to have an option to do reconnaissance "the day before" or something, then have Hitman show the player points of interest e.g. "That pipe drops pianos every now and again, might be useful". I should probably write the game company rather than posting to this forum, but what the hell, I'm lazy.

My very very limited Hitman experience was also soured by the fact that I was dropped into a level with no idea where anything was or what to do. Maybe I'll go back and run around the levels a bit before seriousing the f up.
 

kuolonen

New member
Nov 19, 2009
290
0
0
And the hilarious thing about score bar is that the perks it unlocks are once you would only need if played in a way that would get you -100 000 score i.e. shooting everything that moves.

Whoever the hell thought this game mechanic up needs to be examined.

And my feelings on 47's moral awakening are on the line with Yahtzee's. Guy has the kill record of plague and he just suddenly grows a heart out of nowhere because a little girl is involved? Bleh.
 

Doc Cannon

I hate custom titles.
Feb 3, 2010
247
0
0
SnowBurst said:
its square enix... your going to be disappointed a lot more than impressed by those guys
Deus Ex HR and Just Cause 2 beg to differ!
 

SnowBurst

New member
Jul 2, 2012
276
0
0
deus ex was a dissapointment and not played just cause 2 cuz i hated num 1. typical procedure is square enix take over company, company pumps out shit square enix likes, consumers get shafted but still by it
 

Atmos Duality

New member
Mar 3, 2010
8,473
0
0
Grand Pianos are a start, but in order to truly cleanse the world of The Fur, you need to use fire.
Beautiful, dancing, cleansing fire.
 

Yahtzee Croshaw

New member
Aug 8, 2007
11,049
0
0
One question guys.
In Blood Money I often finished levels in an unconventional way. I did it in my own way without using scripted or specially placed tricks/items/etc. It gave me a "like-a-boss"-feeling whenever I just walked to the endpoint after doing my job in such a way. You know, "I love when a plan comes together." (even if it failed a million times before).

Now the question:
Can you get this feeling in Absolution or is the Blood Money freedom gone?
 

Quorothorn

New member
Apr 9, 2010
112
0
0
Anoni Mus said:
I'd like also to criticize people who decide if they're going or not to buy a game based on Yhatzee critics, he's a comedian/critic, not a reviewer.
...and why, exactly, shouldn't I listen to the opinion of a critic when deciding whether or not to get something they are paid to critique?
 

Astro

New member
Feb 15, 2012
64
0
0
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Racecarlock said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
I hoped you wouldn't be too harsh on Absolution.It's a good game and it tries its best to combine classic Hitman gameplay with the gameplay of more conventional stealth-games to create a more varied and more storydriven experience.
If gameplay matters so little in comparison to story, why not have all games just be virtual books that you turn pages on?
Oh, actually i think, gameplay is more important than the plot. It's what distinguishes games as a medium.
So what? Is the most important aspect of film the special effects because it's what distinguishes film from books? Or should film-makers strive to create a satisfying and well-rounded story using the tools available to the medium in order to improve an experience?
 

AlwaysPractical

New member
Oct 7, 2011
209
0
0
Sizzle Montyjing said:
Well, I've actually become more interested in Hitman: Blood Money as a result of this, but not Hitman: Absolution.
HURRAH FOR LOGIC!
I stared at your avatar for far too long.

OT: fully agree. a game with the right idea but bad/mediocre execution