Zero Punctuation: Hitman: Absolution

Roman Monaghan

Nov 20, 2010
Does that mean he thought Hitman 2 was the worst one? Cuz I agree and relate to him even more now.

I also like how when he said "only a few missions are like the traditional Hitman games" he had two imps representing the missions, which is also how I felt, that only The King of Chinatown and arguably Shaving Lenny were actual Hitman levels, and even then Shaving Lenny had that annoying second half of the level that was annoyingly impossible on hard mode if you didn't get a disguise in the first half. Maybe you could count the second half of the hotel level where you murder the lady, but bleh, I really don't.

This engine coulda worked a lot better if they used it to make a Hitman game instead of a Splinter Cell game with Hitman levels in it.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Funny review. I've found myself torn by Absolution as many reviews are praising the story and what not but I don't play Hitman games for small linear levels. Perhaps I'll just reinstall Blood Money.

Roman Monaghan

Nov 20, 2010
Preacher zer0 said:
Big Fat Edit: ...oh and dudes, he didn't mutilate the barcode to HIDE anything.

Symbolisim ffs!

He did it for himself.

To symbolically feel that he has literally severed his connection to the agency.
Like a cop handing in his badge... except when your badge is inked into your head, you may need to take extreme measures.

It's a moment designed to let us see a little more of how 47 views himself as a person.
It's a warrior making a gesture to himself, a promise to himself and Diana and the girl marked in the only real currency he knows... blood and pain.

This is another major reason why games are being dumbed down... it's not always the developers or publishers who are to blame. >.>
Also symbolized by how, over the course of the game, his iconic suit gets broken down. From the third level where it's all untidy and the collar is put up and his tie isn't clipped in, till it's nothing but a jacket and a button up shirt. He's losing himself in his quest when at first all he wanted to do was distance himself from his connections with the Agency. Then by the end he suits up and starts fighting as himself again, not for the Agency exactly, but reclaiming his identity as an Assassin. The reclaiming of the Silverballers helped with that too. Until finally at the end he's back in business *spoilers, but you should know what that means ;3 *

The Artificially Prolonged said:
Funny review. I've found myself torn by Absolution as many reviews are praising the story and what not but I don't play Hitman games for small linear levels. Perhaps I'll just reinstall Blood Money.
Spoilers: the story is actually dog shit. The reviews are lying to you. Contracts had a better fucking story then this tripe.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Roman Monaghan said:
Preacher zer0 said:
Big Fat Edit: ...oh and dudes, he didn't mutilate the barcode to HIDE anything.

Symbolisim ffs!

He did it for himself.

To symbolically feel that he has literally severed his connection to the agency.
Like a cop handing in his badge... except when your badge is inked into your head, you may need to take extreme measures.

It's a moment designed to let us see a little more of how 47 views himself as a person.
It's a warrior making a gesture to himself, a promise to himself and Diana and the girl marked in the only real currency he knows... blood and pain.

This is another major reason why games are being dumbed down... it's not always the developers or publishers who are to blame. >.>
Also symbolized by how, over the course of the game, his iconic suit gets broken down. From the third level where it's all untidy and the collar is put up and his tie isn't clipped in, till it's nothing but a jacket and a button up shirt. He's losing himself in his quest when at first all he wanted to do was distance himself from his connections with the Agency. Then by the end he suits up and starts fighting as himself again, not for the Agency exactly, but reclaiming his identity as an Assassin. The reclaiming of the Silverballers helped with that too. Until finally at the end he's back in business *spoilers, but you should know what that means ;3 *

The Artificially Prolonged said:
Spoilers: the story is actually dog shit. The reviews are lying to you. Contracts had a better fucking story then this tripe.
Okay thanks for the heads up, reinstall Blood Money it is :D

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
"Lonely jizz handle(r) who gives 2 f*s about perfect scores"

This one's a keeper.

There's people that play games for fun. There's people that play games to impress. And then there's people that play for the perfect score.

That last one is just so incredibly arbitrary, because it often times does not coincide with the 2nd one. People are impressed when you find a new glitch, or kill a guy with a teacup against all odds.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
I agree with the comment , 2 posts before me

I don't care about story when it comes to Hitman, but omg this was bad. It is the worst hitman 'story'...the hitman background story that slowly unveiled between levels in any of the other Hitmans are much much better

IO interactive kayne and lynch idiots saying stuff like 'limp dik' becomes apparently that's dark and artistic.

2 or 3 levels with promise then the rest A to B linear missions. sigh.

Btw I completed a few hitman blood money levels on my first attempt....took me like 3 hours on each one though. You just have to be really really patient...and you have 3 saves. use it before doing anything risky

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
PsychedelicDiamond said:
I hoped you wouldn't be too harsh on Absolution.It's a good game and it tries its best to combine classic Hitman gameplay with the gameplay of more conventional stealth-games to create a more varied and more storydriven experience.
If gameplay matters so little in comparison to story, why not have all games just be virtual books that you turn pages on?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
For me its
-Best-
Hitman Blood Money
Hitman Silent Assassing
Hitman Contracts
Hitman Codename 47
-Worst-

Contrats is just a few steps below Silent Assassin, the atmosphere is a lot better but overall it feels short and pointless. Havent played Absolution yet

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
This game sounds like it would be cool under the condition that you can do incredibly ridiculous things, like killing people with a chainsaw shotgun.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Kargathia said:
Stabby Joe said:
I wouldn't consider Hitman 2 the worst as quickly conveyed in this review. I have yet to play this one as I'm less enthused the more I hear and I love the series, even Contracts, which I'd consider the "worst" - emphasis on quotations.
Can you say Contracts was the worst game, when every installment significantly improved upon its predecessor? Contracts sin wasn't that it was -bad- (it was still downright excellent), it was that it didn't revolutionise every single aspect of the game as much as Silent Assassin did - it merely improved it by leaps and bounds.
I use "worst" very loosely, I really like contracts to but it disappointed me having less scope, redone levels (which were great but new is always better) and little narrative. That said on your basis, which is fine, the first should be considered the "worst". Either way Silent Assassin isn't.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
My favorite bits are the sniper rifle saying "Hello, Sailor", the supernuns, and the stuff about Mexican wrestler's nipples. And when was the last appearance of the Imaginary Ocelot?

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I definitely wan't to check out this game, although I'm not sure if I like the fact that some levels are very linear. Oh well, as long as it's not every level.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
I posted another thing about this game... my main concern with it was that on PS3 it has seemed buggy as all shit, to the point of crashing my PS and forcing a system restore... my time with the game:

About 2 hours into it story wise... more playtime than that cos i kinda suck pretty badly at it.... but so far:

Random respawns that shouldn't happen.
Invisible ghost men that pound you to death
Invisible ghost men with visible floating firearms that shoot you to death
Load into a level only for every cop on the map to come charging at me to kill me before i've even moved
Quasi bust in the gun shop in dakota where all people in the level pulled out the guns and started an impromptu conga line around the map
1 random game crash
1 random console restart
1 complete console crash resulting in having to do a system restore.

Has anyone else had these sorts of issues?

And yes.. score counter in the corner pisses me off too. Story is kinda cool in principle, but as disjointed as all shit.

Like the game, don't love it... don't appreciate the having to enter a friggin code in the playstation store to access a part of the game that you need access to in order to get money in order to get upgrades for the campaign portion of the game.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
Doom972 said:
"Neither the worst or the best Hitman" Sums it up well. Since I like even the worst Hitman game (that's codename 47, IMO), I found it very enjoyable.

The Contracts mode was inspired by the Hitman community habit of posting fan-made contracts on forums and challenging other players to do them, and it's implemented quite well.

People complain about the new score system but it has been a part of every Hitman game since Silent Assassin. The only difference is that if you fucked something up, you know about it immediately and won't get disappointed when you find out you didn't get the score you were trying to get at the end of the level.

One thing that bugged me was the way that they implemented challenges and unlockables. I knew that they're there, but I didn't really feel their effect.

I'd say that it's the 3rd best Hitman game: Blood Money > Silent Assassin > Absolution > Contracts > Codename 47.
Exactly.

Who ever designed the control scheme should be shot.

NO WASD.

Just the fucking number keys and a BROKEN way to interact with objects and switch weapons.

Its like trying to win a race without a steering wheel and a broken transmission.

The non existent autosave is another problem.
In Codename: 47, you actually have 2 premade configurations - the default being the numpad one, and the other being the WASD one. You still have to make changes so that A and D would be strafing, rather than turning. One of the problems that you can't fix (At least not without using some third party software), is that for some unexplained reason someone at IOI thought that it would be a good idea to have seperate buttons for walking and running.
Despite its faults, I love that game.