Zero Punctuation: Homefront The Revolution

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Now that you've said it, I do want to see a game with real-world North Korea as the bad guys. It would be refreshing to play a game where the big bad guy is totally insane in that goofy sort of way that makes him torture scientists until they publish reports that unicorns are real so he can claim to have ridden one.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah, Yahtzee kind of hits the nail on the head over the issue of these bizarre attempts to make North Korea a credible superpower Villain(because they don't want to lose out on the Chinese Markets) but in order to do so they attempt to create this weird alternate reality where North Korea is a powerhouse rather then the Stalinist Gulag with no friends and one enabler that it really is.It didn't make sense in the New Red Dawn and it makes even less sense here.

I think the only Alt History I've seen in a video game that's worse is the Sunset Invasion DLC in Crusader Kings 2(because it makes the bizarre case that the Aztecs would realistically be able to invade Europe from across the Atlantic Ocean in the middle ages).

Bob_McMillan said:
Damn, I forgot this game even existed. I wonder if Yahtzee will bother with Battleborn or Overwatch.
Battleborn, probably not. Overwatch, likely 50-50%. Though I suspect he'll do it just to annoy the fans when he once again has to remind people that he doesn't particularly like multi-player games and people shouldn't be suprised when he says he doesn't like them, no matter how polished they are. I think Splatoon was the only one he actually liked.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Damn, I forgot this game even existed. I wonder if Yahtzee will bother with Battleborn or Overwatch.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
Speaking from experience, trust me, the QA team found all these bugs, it's that someone else decided they weren't worth fixing.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
RJ Dalton said:
Now that you've said it, I do want to see a game with real-world North Korea as the bad guys. It would be refreshing to play a game where the big bad guy is totally insane in that goofy sort of way that makes him torture scientists until they publish reports that unicorns are real so he can claim to have ridden one.
That game exists and it's called Mercenaries (which is basically Grand Theft Korean-warzone gameplay-wise). I recall it being one of my favourites but this was a long time ago so I may be nostalgia-blinded. One of the best parts being you get to sorta pick the level of goofiness you want as there are 3 Player Characters to select from, two of which are serious and one of which is a jolly violence-loving psychopath.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Nobody going to make the joke about it being the second revolution caused by Americans being catty and late with their payments? Noooooooooooooooooo???

Fair enough, then.

Jan 27, 2011
"hurdy the gurdy"? Is that an obscure reference to Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles? I mean, I doubt that quite a lot, but it just seems to fit way too well.

MoltenSilver said:
Speaking from experience, trust me, the QA team found all these bugs, it's that someone else decided they weren't worth fixing.
This is my experience as well. You would be surprised what Developers will label as "known shippable - will not Fix"

"Hey, Devs, I know the RTS game is ending testing this week, but if the player blows up all the bridges on this map, they can make the map impossible to complete and it just doesn't end. One bridge should be indestructible or the game should flag it as a loss if all three bridges go down." REPLY: "Will not fix. If the player is dumb enough to do that, then let that be a lesson to them to not be such an idiot". :s

Anyway, I don't think he's going to review overwatch. He already skipped on Battleborn because he hates multiplayer only games, and there's not all that much content to Overwatch.

Granted it's my current addiction and I love the hell out of OW, but there's not much in the way to review and make jokes about for 5 minutes straight.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
As much as I would like to say I enjoyed this review, an early joke soured my appreciation somewhat as I started thinking about Agadoo and the bloody earworm drilled into my head and has refused to leave.

So here, you can all suffer with me.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Hmm. This game was announced by THQ shortly before they went under and then got bought up by Deep Silver. Given the QA issues, I wonder if they handed it over to the same team that made Ride to Hell Retribution 1%.

...Wikipedia says it wasn't. Disappointing.

Also, points to the developers for apparently retconning away the original backstory in favor of an even more ludicrous one. So is this a sequel or a reboot?

ZigzagPX4

Mar 20, 2016
Personally, this was the probably the best ZP this year, so far. The funniest, anyways - now I believe that Yahtzee's best videos are the ones where he doesn't enjoy the game. Guess that kind of means we're getting entertained by his suffering.

Goliath100 said:
One day I will get a great guerilla warfare game, but that day is not today.
Hm? Have you never played any of the Far Cry games? Particularly Far Cry 3, though I think they all portray guerilla warfare quite well, maybe you're a little bit overpowered for a "resistance fighter" from time to time (especially in FC4) but it certainly pits you as more of a stealthy underdog than say, the Just Cause series.

If you have played a Far Cry game (the guerilla-like ones are from 2 onwards), what part of it didn't feel enough like guerilla warfare to you? Seems to me like it ticks all the boxes. Is it the part where you get too overpowered to feel like a guerilla fighter, way too early? I would say that the low health counters that, but I sort of half-agree. Yes, it's also a bit repetitive, but I think the gameplay makes up for it. So long as you're not the 100% type.

It also happens to be the series that this game just tried to profit off, by jumping on the bandwagon years too late. First one was trying to hop on the Call of Duty linear shooter bandwagon, now they're trying for the trend of open-world shooter that Far Cry 3 set off - years too late, again. Might as well recommend Far Cry 3 for everyone who was disappointed by this game (if they haven't played an FC game already, I mean), it's almost the same in every way except for actually being good.

Ironically, Far Cry's brother series, Crysis, had its first game set in North Korea (if I remember correctly), which means that now you have better alternatives for both if you want to fight North Koreans or if you want to engage in guerilla warfare.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I especially enjoyed him calling out these crapout devs for being cowards. The notion of 'North Chorea' is now firmly embedded in my brain.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Steve the Pocket said:
Hmm. This game was announced by THQ shortly before they went under and then got bought up by Deep Silver. Given the QA issues, I wonder if they handed it over to the same team that made Ride to Hell Retribution 1%.

...Wikipedia says it wasn't. Disappointing.

Also, points to the developers for apparently retconning away the original backstory in favor of an even more ludicrous one. So is this a sequel or a reboot?
Reboot, or, as Wikipedia put it, a "re-imaging".

Also, what's even stranger is the developers of FrontDoor: The Remodeling are none other than Free Radical Design, or, at least, what's left of them.

I will see about giving this game a go sometime because I have weird fondness for games such as these (Games that are mostly functional but are faired as average).