Zero Punctuation: House of the Dead: Overkill

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Mazty said:
Nice use of Killzone Beta images there!

Treblaine said:
the pics I used were definitely right from the final release, just follow back the URL
Don't confuse different art styles with "poor graphics" i.e. doesn't vomit bloom onto your screen.

You haven't played K2's multiplayer so how can you compare them ?

K2 multiplayer run and gun? 4 or 5 melee attacks to work? Seriously, you should stop coming up with this nonsense, you're now just trolling.

How can you say you'd rather play one multiplayer than another, when you haven't played bother of them??
Also, if you run and gun online or offline, you will die very, very quickly. It has an emphasis on cover and realism, seen in the gun recoil and fact that you are not Rambo.
How on earth does that strike you as confused? Realism, realism, realism. Because that's a clear sign of confusion...
Within reading the first 20 pages of Watchmen graphic novel (3% of the book) I knew it would be fantastic.

First chapter of The Da Vinci Code and I knew it was going to be a mediocre cliche-fest but at the same time I knew a bunch of douchebags would say it was "Amazing, transcending, kicks all the other books' asses". In fact, Killzone 2 is the Da Vinci Code of gaming, everyone (seems to) love it, even though it it utter shit, but it is marketed up the asshole.

Also, those "Gameplay screen-shots" you chose are known as "bull-shots" they are not taken from normal gameplay but carefully framed, "tweaked" gameplay assets and with many many after effects that you will never see or appreciate if you actually play the game. This sums it up best:

I chose ACTUAL gameplay screen-shots that you were taken DIRECTLY for the point of view you see in the FINAL RELEASED game with no careful tweaking or fiddling. That stands true for the UT3 shots shown as well, I did find some very sweet promotional pics of UT3 but they did not represent what you actually see in the game.

You are such a hopeless dupe, falling for such crass and blatantly deceptive marketing, I am doubly disappointed that presumably after you actually played the game you didn't realise how deceived you had been. A final layer of failure is after playing the game you then plaster the doctored promotional "gameplay" shots as if they are in any way representative to spite knowing otherwise.

Also, LMAO that you criticise UT3 for "Vomiting bloom" and the Bullshots you gave for KZ2 were literally glowing with bloom, blur and lens flare.

Oh, on the weak ass close combat, I would have to ask if YOU have even played the multiplayer? Just fast forward to 0:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJNepBrDhR0

Yeah, 3 bullets in the chest, 4 almighty thwacks from the butt-stock then someone else steals the kill. This is what qualifies as cutting edge gameplay nowadays? I swear Sony could sell sand to Arabs or maybe KZ2 fans have just sunken to a deeper level of delusion that I could have expected. I mean they spent more on advertising this game than most developers spend on just developing a game.

And what does "you haven't played bother of them" mean?

I presume you mean I "haven't played the KZ2 multiplayer so STFU and GTFO" well I have not played most of the Wii shovel-ware but I know that it is not worth the plastic it is printed on

A closer example, I have only played the Battlefield: Bad Company demo yet I think I can make the decision that the multiplayer is mediocre and not worth my time or money because I am not a child who needs to have decisions made for me by some greater authority. I have seen the gameplay footage and read all the details of Killzone 2's Multiplayer and I am about as excited about that as I am about playing Wii Carnival Games. Another game that I haven't played but know enough about not to touch it with a 20 foot pole.

A final note on realism, take a look at these videos that will educate you on how "realistic" Killzone 2's weapons actually are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGGtlqwFFtE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4weIh3Mc6kU

Do you see his gun lurching around all over the place? No, because assault rifles are by their DESIGN supposed to be controllable and accurate when firing at full auto at extended ranges. Also, hyper-realism and space marines in the far future is a stupid mix.

Kadamon

Feb 8, 2009
JonnWood said:
I sense incoming Killzone 2 fanboy flames. Hit the deck!
*Throws grenade that makes an obnoxiously loud beep and has no safety lever.*

Space Nazi technology away!

foofboy

Mar 12, 2009
You know, I would buy one of those asinine X360 controller keyboards if Typing of the Dead were re-released for the 360. So awesome.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
quickpaw said:
Knight Templar said:
quickpaw said:
Knight Templar said:
quickpaw said:
Well that was blatantly yet another anti Nintendo rant. God Yahtzee is such a fanboy.

Edit: Well I've clearly kicked a wasps nest here.
I think he just doesn't like Nintendo, if every time somebody doesn't like something we call them a fanboy then what does the word mean?
I have no problem with him disliking Nintendo, what annoys me is the fact that every single chance he gets he insults Nintendo while complimenting the other two consoles. It happens consistently throughout his videos.
I'm quite sure he only does in in videos related to Nintendo in some way.
I'm quite sure that it happens in videos completly unrelated to Nintendo.
Even if he does theat doesn't make him a fanboy, hell I'm starting to think you may be.

Autocracy

Feb 25, 2009
It's always disappointing to see people come in here so serious, like as if Yahtzee walked into their kitchen and kicked their dog. You really need to go back and watch his video response to the. . what was it. . zelda whiplash? I can't remember.

Anyway, as always, I found the review amusing, liberating, and insightful.

Autocracy

Feb 25, 2009
Knight Templar said:
quickpaw said:
Knight Templar said:
quickpaw said:
Knight Templar said:
quickpaw said:
Well that was blatantly yet another anti Nintendo rant. God Yahtzee is such a fanboy.

Edit: Well I've clearly kicked a wasps nest here.
I think he just doesn't like Nintendo, if every time somebody doesn't like something we call them a fanboy then what does the word mean?
I have no problem with him disliking Nintendo, what annoys me is the fact that every single chance he gets he insults Nintendo while complimenting the other two consoles. It happens consistently throughout his videos.
I'm quite sure he only does in in videos related to Nintendo in some way.
I'm quite sure that it happens in videos completly unrelated to Nintendo.
Even if he does theat doesn't make him a fanboy, hell I'm starting to think you may be.
Interesting that you say that. They probably are. A fanboy is more likely to be bothered by another person's opinion. Yahtzee is simply sharing his opinion in usually humorous ways but then here comes the Knight-in-shining-armor brigade to defend Nintendo's chivalry.

I assure you, no matter what Yahtzee says, you'll more than likely enjoy it like you always do. If you enjoy it. Who knows. Maybe you're just lying to yourself and these attempts to defend it are simply continued efforts in self-deceit. Just something to think about.

But yes. I am also disappointed that there will not be a Killzone 2 review. I am almost curious to see what he'd have to say. But I suppose Gears of WWII 2 sums it up.

Jay Cee

Nov 27, 2008
I understand your point of earlier iterations in the House of the Dead saga having a delicious edge of self parody throughout the series, but I believe it's a similar case with Killzone. I'm in no way condoning it's monotonous gameplay and pretentious attitude, but It seems to be safe in the knowledge that it is violent. And it's not trying to be anything else, I personally don't like the game however but it's nice to see a self-affirmed mainstream game on the market. Most prefer to pretend they're seeping with innovation and ready to burst at the seems.

Great review as always.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Mazty said:
Really? Then how come the seriously bad screenshot has the same lighting as the preview code & dates back to July last year? Oh yeah because it was a beta shot (look at the added date):
[link]http://www.eurogamer.net/gallery.php?game_id=4690&article_id=79292[/link]

Thanks for proving you don't know what you're on about. Your saying the first 5 minutes of something means the rest of it will be great. Well, when did that become scientific fact? It's not, and media such as the film "Vantage Point" show how you are very, very wrong.

Oh, on the weak ass close combat, I would have to ask if YOU have even played the multiplayer? Just fast forward to 0:30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJNepBrDhR0
Well done for finding a guy that is lagging. Play the multiplayer and then tell me it takes all that to take down a normal guy.

Thanks for proving K2 to be realistic. Do the guns lurch all over the place? No. Can you have controllable accuracy when firing in full auto bursts? Yes. Hyper-realism and "space marines" in the future is a stupid mix? Oh yeah, because in the future (it's not even set on Earth) we will never colonise different planets. As for their looks, they hardly look like far-fetched space marines (much more similar to the realistic look of Aliens), so I don't know what your trying to say is unrealistic about them.
Well the pics I found looked almost exactly like the demo I played and there are hardly any differences in graphics between the Beta and final build:

Seems to be just some deeper shadows but more blurry textures.

But if you insist, all these KZ2 pics come from here ( http://www.eurogamer.pt/gallery.php?game_id=4690&article_id=412536 ) and are verifiability from the final build and from live gameplay.

As you can see, KZ2 is still not all it is cracked up to be in the graphics department with 2007 games competing in quality.

I stand by my opinion on the controls, they ruin any enjoyment in the gameplay and it is not realistic, the video I showed asserted as much that an assault rifle is supposed to be controllable under full auto fire yet in KZ2 it is virtually uncontrollable in full auto only able to hit a target from 10-20 feet. The single weapon loadout is ridiculous too, I mean it is two, 2, II, duo, double, that's it, the number between 1 and 3, that is the magic number of weapons to carry in a game or at least the absolute minimum, not limited to a single primary weapon and a crappy revolver as a permanent back up.

I also stand by my comment on the weak close combat, the mild melee attack makes another appearance at 2:25 in the video I linked to, it is most definitely not lagging that would cause a hit response (notice the different audio of a contacting strike) yet no loss in health. Quite simply it is lame compared to other multiplayer games.

And I have heard that the demo is very representative of the rest of the game, common criticisms are how repetitive it is, in the environments and enemies.

But in a way you are right, you cannot tell if a game or book is going to be GOOD just from what you see at the beginning... but you can certainly tell if it is going to be BAD as in my Da Vinci Code example that you so conveniently chose to ignore.

The demo sucks, the developers had one chance to show off the game and give me a reason to get it and it showed nothing of any interest but tired old gaming cliches and over-hyped graphics.

I would suggest you play games like UT3, TF2, COD4/WAW and Quake Wars: ET for the many and varied layers of gameplay before you go on and on about how superior and amazing Killzone 2 is. I mean even mediocre crap like Halo 3 had a multiplayer that mixed things up with loads of different vehicles, gravity lifts and interesting weapons like movable turrets, sticky grenades, and that big-hammer-thing. Then there is the replay camera, why doesn't every game have that?

BLOONINJA 503

Sep 20, 2008
Amisbro said:
Maybe its just me, but the reviews have gotten less and less funny and when I have to read the blurbs at the end of his reviews to get a chuckle then you know your time is almost up but maybe that's just me
just you...

loved it.the review

no body is forcing anyone to watch this or take his OPINION seriously.

man the fanboys came out the woodworks on this one.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Well as to what I expect from Killzone 2, it gets off its high horse and stop acting like it is the second coming of christ, it is an average shooter at best.

A single weapon IS MOST DEFINITELY NOT realistic, a perfect example is wielding an anti-tank rocket launcher, even the lowest grunt would always be expected to have his rifle with him and not expected to run into the fold without a proper weapon to defend themself:

And how the hell is it realistic to issue a 6 shot revolver as a back up weapon anyway? They should have a 15-20 shot automatic pistols, no army has issued a revolver since the First World War, magnum or not it is a ridiculous weapon to issue to front line troops. Actually a far better weapons would be this that was made specifically for this scenario:

MP7 is similar weight and length as a magnum revolver used in the game, only far far more effective.

Also, Sev is not a "regular grunt" as it is quite clear he does not stick close with his platoon and rarely even stays with his 4 man squad, often it is him fighting alone, he can't say "Cover me While I go and Look for a Rocket Launcher then Get into Position to Shoot It!!!!" he has to take the initiative himself and have both weapons. He is ordered to go on extraordinary missions with very little support, if that isn't special forces, he is at least some sort of commando trooper.

Also, what is with the no under-barrel grenade launcher, it is practically standard issue in modern armies now and was even in Killzone 1, wtf happened? There are also pump action under barrel shotguns for assault rifles now, is there a new wave of minimalism taken over armies of the future or is the ISA just run by a bunch of cheap bastards?

It is also common for a sniper, especially a lone sniper, to carry a secondary weapon like a submachine gun for close in self defence. Take Simo Häyhä, A Finnish war Hero who killed over 700 invading soviet troops in only 100 days, over 200 of those killed were by his submachine gun. He also got shot in the head yet still had the presence of mind to shoot his attacker before slipping into a coma. Yes, he did all this without regenerating health or save checkpoints, history's bona fide badass.

So you ask what I want in a video game? There is the phrase "less is more" but sometimes less is quite simply less, GG removed and reduced FAR too much from the regular formula and polished it in all the wrong places. Halo was a revolution as it got rid of all the clutter of having 10-20 weapons, purifying it by forcing you to try and get two weapons to complement each other, learn how to use them in combination. COD and many other games would follow but with only one weapon as in KZ2, there is no synergy, there is no mixing and matching like shotgun up close then rifle for a long shot, you just stick to the most vanilla weapon in the game and never put it down, ie the M82.

GG seems to entirely miss the point of what makes shooters enjoyable and brings nothing new to the table.

discogiraffe

Mar 13, 2009
I kept meaning to register, and, thanks to the Glasgwegian Heroin comment, i have.

Heroin? Accurate

Middle Schools? Nope, don't have them here, Primary, and Secondary... that's your lot

Please be more thorough when ripping on Glasgow, it really is easy enough if you try :D

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
I have to disagree about Killzone 2. At first when I played it I had to admit it was far from enjoyable due to the controls and the change in weaponry but after a while it's grown on me. Oddly enough in the review it seems the mention of Killzone 2, was pretty much just tacked on to make it seem like a versus.