Zero Punctuation: Hunted: The Demon's Forge

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
This was a good review. Yahtzee really gets in shape after E3. Some of his previous reviews weren't as funny. They seemed kinda forced. This one felt natural and sincere.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Would people stop asking for Duke Nukem Forever. The game hasn't even been out a week and his reviews are developed before then. He'll he'll to it if he "cares". Despite having an article about it, I'd rather see another E3 review, those always slay a large number of games relatively swiftly.

As for this game, the only appeal I initially got was the cooperative aspect as the action adventure genre is really lacking in that department... at least legitimate action adventure games.

I don't know, maybe if I played a demo first then got it on budget.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Yahtzee said:
Making videos takes longer than you may realize; I mean, all these questionably royalty-free images don't Google image-search themselves...
No. Actually, I do realize, in specific detail, how long it takes. And frankly, sir, I continue to be amazed by and have considerable respect for your ability to bodge together five minutes a week, every week (except Christmas week, of course).

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Am I the only one who's not all that pumped to hear what Yahtzee has to say about Duke Nukem Forever? Even though I don't have this game (yet), it's still one of those games that you'll like or dislike.

And about Hunted, I had no interest in that game anyway. At least DNF is better than this game.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
I wonderer when he'll admit that he was wrong about the skip-ability of cutscenes in the Witcher 2.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
a little harsh on this i think, the game was fairly decent, single player is arse, but co-op was fun....oh well, still made me laugh tho ha

Arren Kae

Nov 10, 2010
Cover based shooting's more fun than shooters balanced so that the player character's meaty and can survive enemy barrages without consequences. Cover-based shooting feels alot more intense as being exposed for a few seconds means you die. My guess is Yahtzee plays on lower difficulty settings b/c he sucks and so doesn't get this experience.

I like games such as half-life 2 and Doom 3 but a problem with each of them is it was always easy, even on the hardest difficulty setting. Most enemies can only kill you by attrition and it's easy enough to find caches of health/armor/energy under stairs that you usually come upon charging stations still maxed out. Only someone doing a speed-run (or stupid) taking no time to explore ever has to worry about health. Since, halo's recharging shields, and moreso since
GoW's cover, shooters have become not about surviving the level but about surviving the skirmish. You can die during any shootout and that's more fun b/c every encounter's somewhat threatening.

UMNiK

Feb 10, 2010
...so yeah, he never beat it. I can only imagine that his bartending vocation is going too well to leave yahtzee any time for actually playing games.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Choppaduel said:
I wonderer when he'll admit that he was wrong about the skip-ability of cutscenes in the Witcher 2.
he wont, he's become part of the new age of gamers now weather he likes it or not and we all nerd-rage at the slightest hint of annoyance.

in fact it's probably worse for him because he plays so many games that he just constantly thinks
'amagawds why can't we just have x device with x context and x controls and build my triple $^&*£$ hooker game and it would be the best thing EVAR in the history of the universe, you pathetic underachieving studio!'
just like everyone does, in their own less colourful fashion
when in reality, you would just mess something else up that people would flame you for.

so really i can forgive him that, even if he is factually inaccurate sometimes, he gets the point across, the cut-scenes are annoying as hell if you miss the skip button by being a moron
it's a fair comment, I did it myself a couple times

they do 'become' un-skipable if you let them run for more than a second or two
which is just plain annoying
i mean, it makes sense so you don't accidentally press the skip button half way through the scene.. but cant they just make it so you have to quadrupole tap it to make it go away?
or left mouse and a tiny banner comes up in the corner that says press y to skip
( which brings me back to my second point )

Arren Kae said:
Cover based shooting's more fun than shooters balanced so that the player character's meaty and can survive enemy barrages without consequences. Cover-based shooting feels alot more intense as being exposed for a few seconds means you die. My guess is Yahtzee plays on lower difficulty settings b/c he sucks and so doesn't get this experience.
more likely he's a game reviewer and spends the majority of his time actually building his reviews and meeting deadlines, so running around on the first level of a game for more than 5 minutes is probably not an option

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
You know, sometimes, when watching Yahtzee's videos, I can't help but think that being a game reviewer/critic has to be a comprehensive exercise in masochism.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
there has not been a single good game that had forced co-op

either the computer is too good (left 4 dead) and human players blow, or the computer is a moron you would be better of without (resident evil, every other game)

the best co-op was in halo 1, full single player campaign, same campaign co-op but re-balanced

woodaba

May 31, 2011
Two Angels said:
woodaba said:
Can't say im suprised. Hunted is one of the worst games ive had the displeasure of playing in a LONG time.
Try out Mindjack and you'll see what a truly bad game is and realise how Hunted isn't that bad.

IMO this game isn't that bad. I enjoyed it more than I did Homefront, DNF and a couple of the other releases this year. The Online co-op was very bad but playing co-op is a good laugh and when I didn't have someone to play with I never had any problems with the AI. Actually on the flip side I found the AI to be quite good as it saved my bacon a number of times during boss fights when I was playing as Caddoc.
But thats just it. Hunted bills itself as a GoW clone in fantasy land, but fails by making horribly unapeealing graphics, the exact same fucking encounter ripped from other games, and a completly uninteresting story, incredibly dissapointing from the creator of A bards tale. Its main selling point was online co-op, which DOES NOT EVEN FUCKING WORK. While I admit that my first comment was a bit exageratted, I had high hopes going into this game and I was severely dissapointed.

Not as bad as Mindjack though.

Two Angels

Dec 25, 2009
Rayne870 said:
Pretty much agreed, I had a lot of fun with it in solo play and think it will be pretty awesome for playing through with my Fiance.

Granted midway through the game you become pretty much unstoppable but sometimes it's fun to just mow things down. I'm going back for an Oldschool playthrough to see if that makes any differenc on the difficulty, I hear enemies get a 60% buff on health and damage and you get a -10% debuff on health.

People seriously need to loosen up, drink some beer and just enjoy something rather than try to pick it apart just because it isn't the same as something else.
Try playing it with one hit kills on and unlimited arrows, taking out everyone with rapid fire arrows (even bosses!) was an awesome feeling. It made getting the collection achievements a breeze which is what I wanted.

Yea Old School is a great time though I'm getting the most fun out of The Crucible, some of the user created maps are a blast in Co-Op.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
nice one!
Have to agree, played ten minutes of this snooze fest... glad I wasn't the one who bought it!

can't wait for next week Yahtzee (taking bets on which game it'll be... wink wink!)

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
Is it just me or does Yahtzee sound tired as hell this entire video? Too many late nights running a bar?

Also, it's taken him this long too address why he can't review a game the same week it comes out? I kinda figured all the not thick people had already figured that out.