Zero Punctuation: Hunted: The Demon's Forge

MK Tha Rebel

Jun 12, 2009
Thank you Yahtzee.

I had seen ad after ad for this game, but I didn't care enough about it to look into what the game was about other than the name and the box art. I was still a little curious though, but thanks to you, I now know more about the game, and also that I probably would like it because none of that review sounded positive at all. So yeah, good stuff man.

Brumbek

Apr 6, 2010
I actually loved Hunted. The combat was great fun (the sniper-like archery was good times), searching for secrets was enjoyable, the voice work was very good, the character interaction amused me, and finding the dead bodies to reveal the lore was a great design element.

Overall, I just really loved Hunted. I had zero technical issues apart from some minor collision issues here and there and my AI partner always did exactly as asked, which was extremely impressive. Anyway, some chapters had bad environmental graphics I'll grant you, but overall the game delivered exactly what it promised, an old-school dungeon crawler.

So yeah...you should try Hunted for yourself, you might be one of the 0.000001% who love it. Begin flaming now.

P.S.: my other favorite games for reference: Baldur's Gate II, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, FFVI, FFXII, Planescape Torment, Mass Effect, Anno 1404, CoD:MW2 for MP, Borderlands, Metro 2033, Civ IV, Morrowind, Oblivion, Deus Ex, The Last Remnant PC.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
Whoop; won't be getting this game, either! Thanks Yahtzee! (I do take his opinion seriously. You all may throw the "you're missing some great games", but to me, that translates to "You're missing some okay games that you could be spending money on instead of real artistic things like SotC - which Yahtzee liked. So with that: I don't care if I'm missing your precious okay games~ =p )
Brumbek said:
P.S.: my other favorite games for reference: FFXII,
For a moment - I thought you said FFXIII. But since you didn't - CARRY ON.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
REALLY? The combo/magic thing didn't made it good? damn.... I thought it had something... guess it's good I pick other games to play this month...

notimeforlulz

Mar 18, 2011
Better be kind on Duke Nukem [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/editors_note/8953-Open-Letter-to-Duke-Nukem-PR] Yahtzee, or Redner [http://www.geekosystem.com/duke-nukem-forever-pr-team-threats/] is presumably going to throw poop [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbEKGx_AaxU] at you.

Morgan Wick

Jun 16, 2011
I don't think you needed to apologize to the twats who would expect you to review DNF like a couple days after it came out, especially since the DNF review would be a lot funnier if you hadn't acknowledged it beforehand. If you didn't review DNF next week, maybe you might owe us an explanation, but this week a quick note in the end credits might have sufficed.

Sep 4, 2009
Please don't do Duke Nukem Forever; at least not immediately next week.

Please do Duke 3D, and make the Duke fanboys WAIT another week. Make 'em realise that they paid for crap by demonstrating a game released forever ago did it better then, and is still better now.

Make 'em realise spending money on shit is part of the reason we have such a dull, sequel stuff market of space marine filled shooters, and sticking an asshole with a thin veneer of shallow character isn't good; its just demonstrating how disgustingly easy it is to actually be less bad.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Well, truth be told, I feel in this game trap, I expected it to be awesome, and then, WHAM! no exploration whatsoever and every single skill way too early...

Not even the two hot chicks are worth playing this...

MadCapMunchkin

Charismatic Stallion
Apr 23, 2010
Meh. It was okay...it was a fairly generic hack 'n' slash (I never did the cover-based BS, just ran in and did the, y'know...hacking and slashing) that didn't really add or take away anything from its genre.

I can see some of Yahtzee's gripes, but there are worse games he's reviewed that haven't gotten nearly this much of a beating...

Nov 12, 2010
Is it me or did he sound really bored while explaining how boring that game was? "Hunted: The Demon's Forge" is probably so god damn mediocre that even ranting about it is boring, apparently.

First "The Bard's Tale" (2004), now this. How could have Brian Fargo sunk this low? It's a travesty.

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Not much of funny. It's like kick a dead dog. A budget and brown game using Unreal 3 isn't good... Duke Nukem Forever will be even worse since the others reviwes of the games are already Zero Punctuation like. It's more funny when Yahtzee review a game that people real care, like Deus Ex.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
Two Angels said:
Rayne870 said:
Pretty much agreed, I had a lot of fun with it in solo play and think it will be pretty awesome for playing through with my Fiance.

Granted midway through the game you become pretty much unstoppable but sometimes it's fun to just mow things down. I'm going back for an Oldschool playthrough to see if that makes any differenc on the difficulty, I hear enemies get a 60% buff on health and damage and you get a -10% debuff on health.

People seriously need to loosen up, drink some beer and just enjoy something rather than try to pick it apart just because it isn't the same as something else.
Try playing it with one hit kills on and unlimited arrows, taking out everyone with rapid fire arrows (even bosses!) was an awesome feeling. It made getting the collection achievements a breeze which is what I wanted.

Yea Old School is a great time though I'm getting the most fun out of The Crucible, some of the user created maps are a blast in Co-Op.
One of my mates is coming over this weekend, we're gonna get a 24 and then hit The Crucible :) so its gonna be awesome and much better than RE5 went for us...we got tanked so the end of that night ended with an hour of us spamming "come on, come on" and "ok" for an hour, it drove my fiance nuts.

matt87_50

Apr 3, 2009
sounds like the Winter Plague might be claiming another victim.

I still couldn't believe it when I saw a copy of DNF just sitting there on the store shelf... I expected it to be more of a moment... shafts of light radiating from behind it.

Caveworm

Jun 8, 2011
Seems a spot on review. Maybe the game is a bit better with a friend?

Also...

First word...sounds like, BROwn!

Very brown looking game indeed.

MiloBMofo

May 7, 2009
An inspired review as always !

nice one yahtzee putting off recent releases to review a trully awfull game