Zero Punctuation: Hyrule Warriors - Nintendo Holding Pattern?

UberGott

Feb 20, 2014
My wife and I have plunked more hours than I'd like to admit into the game over the last two weeks.

That said... I can't really argue with much of what Yahtzee's said. It was always fairly lazy fanservice squeezed into an established franchise mould, the structure of the campaign is pretty stupid, like they forgot Ganondorf existed and then crammed him in after the grand finale out of habit, and... well, I never use the damned items either. Much like the similarly Dynasty Warriors themed Fist of the North Star game, it satisfies a very specific itch and I'm glad I pre-ordered it in the hopes of seeing equally silly things of its ilk in the future, but I wouldn't personally hold it up as Game of the Generation. I knew what I was getting into, so I've got nothing to be upset about.

And, yeah, Cia is pretty ridiculous, especially with the only notable counterpoint from the core Zelda franchise being the Great Fairy, who's nowhere near that... over the top. I like dumb jubbly-thrusting outfits in my goofy fantasy games just fine, but there's a time and a place for it, and I'm not convinced a game with otherwise reserved LoZ outfits everywhere was either of those things. Volga's kind of fun though, and Cia's white bridal-esque DLC costume is pretty damned cute.

Fret not, Yahtzee! There will be plenty of Wind Waker content in the DLC Season Pass... which, uh, they announced like the day before the damned game came out. If I were any less of a commercial sucker I'd tell them to stuff it, but for better or worse, they had me at "Downloadable Horse As Weapon".

Still love the dumb thing, though. Guess that makes me a fan, and I'm fine with that.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
erttheking said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
It's called a Triforce because Ganondorf always TRIes to take it by FORCE. Eh? Eh?

erttheking said:
Ugh. If you don't like it, fine, but do you really need to shit on the fans?
I mean, this is Zero Punctuation.

Casual Shinji said:
A Tingle home pregnancy test, hmm.... You know, Tingle always did seem like the kind of guy who would enjoy getting peed on.
I think it'd sell better if it was Navi.
I know that Yahtzee said that he thinks offensive humor is inclusive but... just calling someone a **** is not being inclusive. It's not even humor. It's just insulting someone.
Well to be fair a lot of fans did kind of act like cunts during the other Legend of Zelda reviews he has done. They tend to kind of completely miss the point of Zero Punctuation.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
erttheking said:
Well ... I am a fan of *insert theme here* Warriors games and with the exception of Skyward Sword (though I still can;t figure out why I never played it) I've been through all the Zelda games. Does that mean I feel insulted by Yahtzee pointing out how dumb the AI in warriors is, how much the fandom of Zelda games refuses to see the repetitive nature and/or flaws of those games? Nope. I still love those games, I consider myself a fan of them, but that will never stop me from admiting their flaws. Yahtzee is only shitting on the mouth-foaming rabid "fans" that can't function properly if there is even a hint that their beloved franchise to which they religiously wank every night is anything less than perfect. And I am all for more of that, hell I can even provide some ammunition.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
For the record, the game is splendiferous, but Yahtzee has a right to his opinion.

Robert Kalmar

Feb 3, 2012
erttheking said:
Yeah, I'm a big Zelda fan and I'm pretty offended by this video... Why are we worse, than say AssCreed fans? They buy the same sh*t every year (now 2 sh*t every year). At least We (Zelda fans) buys the "same sh*t" every 4th year (2D and 3D Zelda games are different and not everyone likes both). I think this is the lowest think Yahtzee ever did... Which is something.

OT: What i find so funny about this video and Yahtzee in general is that he is essentially doing the same thing as Nintendo. Living in the past and on nostalgia. He didn't changed his style in any way since the start of his career and he thinks that only 2 game worth existing in the universe: Silent Hill 2 and Prince of Persia: SoT. Other games he ever mentions are Metroid Prime and Wind Waker... All of them are more than a decade old.

Also: why review this? Do Yahtzee enjoys bashing Nintendo so much? Everyone knew this game wouldn't be ground breaking, so why bother? There are a ton of great games, that came out in the past few weeks. Maybe he should have reviewed them instead of bashing Nintendo for the 101st time. Yeah, Nintendo sucks, we got the message Yahtzee. Shall we move on?

Jul 5, 2009
erttheking said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
It's called a Triforce because Ganondorf always TRIes to take it by FORCE. Eh? Eh?

erttheking said:

Casual Shinji said:
A Tingle home pregnancy test, hmm.... You know, Tingle always did seem like the kind of guy who would enjoy getting peed on.
I know that Yahtzee said that he thinks offensive humor is inclusive but... just calling someone a **** is not being inclusive. It's not even humor. It's just insulting someone.
Actually in Ireland and Australia it's how you greet a friend...

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
erttheking said:
I'm a COD fan, you get used to it. Hell, you've been here since 2011. How are you not used to it? The only difference is he's shitting on a fan base you may or may not be a part of.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zeriah said:
erttheking said:
Zachary Amaranth said:

erttheking said:

Casual Shinji said:
Well a lot of fans did kind of act like cunts during the other Legend of Zelda reviews he has done. They tend to kind of completely miss the point of Zero Punctuation.
I don't see how that makes this any better. I mean that's basically buying into a stereotypes

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Racecarlock said:
erttheking said:
I'm a COD fan, you get used to it. Hell, you've been here since 2011. How are you not used to it? The only difference is he's shitting on a fan base you may or may not be a part of.
To be honest I feel like he hasn't done it as much as late. I guess my defenses got lower. And I suppose it's also a case of a straw that broke the camel's back

temperedelm

Mar 1, 2013
I've been a silent viewer until now but Yahtzee has gone too far this time! We Legend of Zelda fans can not be "brought to the limits of human ecstasy by triforce patterned tea towels", that takes a Link or Zelda themed sheet set at the very least!

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
You aren't a proper Nintendo fan unless you send Yahtzee at least one hate mail.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
They are, to put as generosly as possible, untroubled by the complexities of life.
Oh, yeah!? Well... you fight like a cow!

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Racecarlock said:
erttheking said:
I'm an enthusiastic Apple user. Try having to deal with the pile of techno-religious zealot Haterade we get lobbed in our direction all the time (and never so much as an apology when it is shown to be unfounded), having any logic or justification we may have made for our choice to be categorically dismissed as invalid and idiotic.

At the end of the day, haters are gonna hate. That's just what they do. Just don't let yourself fall into the same trap of snidely sniping at other people's choices and preferences for the purpose of trying to compensate for personal insecurities about your own choices. Just enjoy your own thing and give others the latitude to do the same. All these terms, troll, fanboy, SJW, etc., they've all devolved in meaning to just become "someone who made a different choice or has a different opinion from my own and thus fails to reinforce my own egocentric need to be correct all the time".

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Well I like it :D
It's fun co-oping with a friend to gather the Skulltulas and such......
And Yahtzee, the items can be switched with the arrow pads by pressing to left or right.
Otherwise, this was pretty much what I was expecting from this review.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
Robert Kalmar said:
There are a ton of great games, that came out in the past few weeks. Maybe he should have reviewed them instead of bashing Nintendo for the 101st time. Yeah, Nintendo sucks, we got the message Yahtzee. Shall we move on?
Australian release dates. Check em. Shadow of mordor only officially came out today in australia (which means that Uncivil War video was a dirty crime for yahtzee). Alien Isolation thankfully release yesterday along with the international released (really? Alien gets released BEFORE Shadows of Mordor ...). The man reviews what games he can actually get.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Simple fact is: if you don't like Dynasty Warriors, you will not like this game.

Some Zelda fans got a rude awakening somehow thinking it was going to be better or different for some reason.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
All I need to take away from this is that Jim was probably right when he said that Dynasty Warriors fans would like it, others might not. Fair enough, though I did like the return of the incomplete list.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
XDSkyFreak said:
erttheking said:
Well ... I am a fan of *insert theme here* Warriors games and with the exception of Skyward Sword (though I still can;t figure out why I never played it) I've been through all the Zelda games. Does that mean I feel insulted by Yahtzee pointing out how dumb the AI in warriors is, how much the fandom of Zelda games refuses to see the repetitive nature and/or flaws of those games? Nope. I still love those games, I consider myself a fan of them, but that will never stop me from admiting their flaws. Yahtzee is only shitting on the mouth-foaming rabid "fans" that can't function properly if there is even a hint that their beloved franchise to which they religiously wank every night is anything less than perfect. And I am all for more of that, hell I can even provide some ammunition.
He isn't just insulting shit heads though. He's insulting people for enjoying Zelda