Zero Punctuation: Hyrule Warriors - Nintendo Holding Pattern?

UberGott

Feb 20, 2014
Guffe said:
And Yahtzee, the items can be switched with the arrow pads by pressing to left or right.
He mentions that - and no, it doesn't make it any less awkward needing to pick your thumb up off the left stick to swap to a weapon you'll use to take care of one specific enemy and then not touch the weapons again for 5 minutes.

I wish it were that LZ button I've literally never used after the first map. Dodging > Blocking, by a wide margin at that... then again, maybe that's why I don't Ace all of the Legend Maps?

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
UberGott said:
Guffe said:
And Yahtzee, the items can be switched with the arrow pads by pressing to left or right.
He mentions that - and no, it doesn't make it any less awkward needing to pick your thumb up off the left stick to swap to a weapon you'll use to take care of one specific enemy and then not touch the weapons again for 5 minutes.

I wish it were that LZ button I've literally never used after the first map. Dodging > Blocking, by a wide margin at that... then again, maybe that's why I don't Ace all of the Legend Maps?
You can block?

Yeah, the game is stupid, item switching is clunky, the game focuses on only 3 games and the whole plot is rather silly, but now I see what Jim Sterling is talking about.

I never had any fun in any of the Warriors games, probably because I never had a proper tutourial. But now I understand, this game series is hilariously and stupidly fun.

UberGott

Feb 20, 2014
orangeapples said:
You can block?
Eh... kinda? For example, when the King Dodongo rears up and then smacks the ground for a shock wave, blocking takes zero damage. When he breathes fire, you'll still take partial damage. Blocking the roll attack... basically does nothing. Might be worth blocking some strong attacks specifically for the counter opportunity, but it really depends on your character's speed and dodge distance if it's worth the risk.

I've only played the DW spinoffs (Gundam/Fist of the North Star) but they each seem to have their own unique quirks. The items one here is awkward, at best, but hell - if that's the biggest complaint I have about the basic mechanics, it's a lot better than Skyward Sword ever was.

Aristatide

Jul 19, 2014
I think you're all forgetting that Yahtzee, too, is in a holding pattern, and needed to remind us he exists.

(I mean, let's face it. Anyone who thought he would actually like this game, raise your hand so we can all gawk at you. And truth be told, none of the basic facts--remembering Yahtzee too is a fan, so we can take that bit with a grain of salt and probably were meant to--aren't true. This is what Warriors games are like, and Yahtzee just doesn't get the appeal of those qualities, which is nothing new; he's felt that way about many other mini-genres before.)

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
When it's a japanese game, it is weird; when it's a nintendo game, it's a rethread of old formulas. Speak about broken records... let's go back playing more FPS and Sandbox.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
XDSkyFreak said:
Australian release dates. Check em. Shadow of mordor only officially came out today in australia (which means that Uncivil War video was a dirty crime for yahtzee).
Assuming he didn't get a review copy/code, that is.

Thanatos2k said:
Simple fact is: if you don't like Dynasty Warriors, you will not like this game.
I've seen a lot of comments to the contrary/

AlouetteSK said:
Anyways, I find it hilarious how people are finding this caustic critic upsetting when it's their favorite franchise being lambasted. Similar to how Smash was being smashed by Yahtzee. Looking forward to seeing how many will be... upset when he gets to Smash 3DS or Smash 4 on the Wii U.
The best part is that they will almost certainly be the same ones clamoring for him to review it in the first place.

It usually goes something like this:

"Hey Yahtzee, what do you think of this game?"
(silence)
"Yahtzee, when are you going to review this game?"
(Silence)
"Yaaaaaahtzee, tell me what you think of this game!"
"Fine, it's not good."
"Typical Yahtzee, always hating on games!"

LordTerminal said:
Not to mention, why does he bother with fighting game reviews when he's said time and again that he doesn't personally like them? If you don't like a genre then why are you here talking about an installment of one?
Because they tend to get a lot of views and/or responses? I imagine Yahtzee likes that for the purposes of being paid and such, if for no other reason.

Robert Kalmar

Feb 3, 2012
XDSkyFreak said:
Robert Kalmar said:
There are a ton of great games, that came out in the past few weeks. Maybe he should have reviewed them instead of bashing Nintendo for the 101st time. Yeah, Nintendo sucks, we got the message Yahtzee. Shall we move on?
Australian release dates. Check em. Shadow of mordor only officially came out today in australia (which means that Uncivil War video was a dirty crime for yahtzee). Alien Isolation thankfully release yesterday along with the international released (really? Alien gets released BEFORE Shadows of Mordor ...). The man reviews what games he can actually get.
I only heard legends of Australian game releases... I thought most game on Steam has international releases (he will probably get the Steam version, PC Master Race and all). So next week we get a bash at Smash Bros 3DS? (is it released there?...)

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Y'know, I'm actually shocked Yahtzee gave no mention of Lana.

Dude hates Japanese pop-culture with a frothing mouthed passion, and Lana's about as Japanese as you can get in a Zelda game, so I assumed he'd be all over her. Instead he just kept talking about how big Cia's boobs were. Not sure whether to be pleasantly surprised or not....

AndreiCC

Jun 1, 2014
Oh my, Yahtzee, you gonna take some flak from MovieBob for this attack on Nintendo. What next, you gonna say Marvel movies are also just interchangeable tripe?

Robert Kalmar

Feb 3, 2012
LordTerminal said:
"A Zelda fan would get a kick out of a Tingle home pregnancy test because that is what defines a fan of something"

No that defines a fan BOY, which you clearly do not know the difference between. Or you're saying all Zelda fans are fanboys who will like anything. Either way, you just got the bias label pasted on you again for saying that Yahtzee. Just because I like Zelda, doesn't mean I think Phantom Hourglass was good. (Because it wasn't) You should've just kept that line out of the review because it makes you look pompous.

God, and here I thought my happy pills worked but then he had to end the review with THAT. (And the freeze-frame bonus at the end)
Exactly. I found Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks pretty lackluster and two of the weakest game in the franchise. Also, while most people seemed to have high regard of Wind Waker, it didn't set my Zelda fan heart on fire. It was okay, but nothing ground breaking. Zelda fans aren't zombies, i will buy this game next week and not because it's a Zelda game (it isn't), but because we had so much fun with my friend playing Dynasty Warriors 8. Was it a good game? Hell no. Was it fun? Hell YES! I don't care, if a game is bad as long as it's fun. That last line wasn't funny. I don't think he meant it as a joke. He was simply a douchebag, because he can't enjoy a game anymore.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
V4Viewtiful said:
I won't be a satisfied Zelda Fan till we get a HD remake of Majora's Mask. :mad:
You'll probably find that in the trash bin right next to SquareEnix's (can't believe I had to go back and edit that...) remake of FF7...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Kargathia said:
erttheking said:
Flatfrog said:
erttheking said:
Opening it up, he found a card on which was written a single word. '****'.

Now that's timing.
I can respect that. But was this affectionate or well timed? It feels like it's the same tone I would expect someone to shout at me in the street. I'm sorry if I'm being a party pooper, but this really left a bad taste in my mouth.
Depending on culture, context, tone, and timing, "****" really can be anything ranging from the instigation of a vendetta spanning over centuries, to the expression of deepest and most sincere bromance.

In this case I'd say it's in line with the rest of the review - scathingly acerbic, but hardly offensive.
I think it's pretty clear what he intended it to mean. Not much room for interpretation.

Offensive isn't the word I'd use, but I would say that it's rather mean spirited.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
AndreiCC said:
Oh my, Yahtzee, you gonna take some flak from MovieBob for this attack on Nintendo. What next, you gonna say Marvel movies are also just interchangeable tripe?
Well, Yahtzee has already stated that he hates Joss Whedon, so...

Anyway, I may pick this up later. I've been wanting to play an old-school beat-em-up, and this might be the closest thing to that I've seen in a while.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
CelestDaer said:
V4Viewtiful said:
I won't be a satisfied Zelda Fan till we get a HD remake of Majora's Mask. :mad:
You'll probably find that in the trash bin right next to SquareEnix's (can't believe I had to go back and edit that...) remake of FF7...
If the crappy FFX can get a HD remake, there's hope. Dammit!

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Sometimes I wonder lowest scoring straight faced reviews for any game, let alone this one will less heat than a Zero Punctuation video.

Congratulations for watching your first video I guess to those.

Ah well, I have been enjoying this game very much as a matter of fact, yet I do find the funny narrative quirks brought up rather funny, Cia's castle was *ahem* interesting. So basically the whole conflict was about somebody needing to get laid?

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
Not to be completely pedantic, but wielding the sword by its blade and hitting people with the pommel is an actual technique in medieval combat.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Thank you for noticing the arrow in the FedEx logo. Some folks still just don't see it.

Just like the "i" in "TEAM"

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I am enjoying the hell out of this game, but I am not without complaints. Like for example, the character you're controlling seems to be the only competent one on the battlefield. It gets exceptionally annoying when I'm in the middle of pursuing the current objective or trying to capture one of the keeps and one of my allies, esp the grunt captains, starts crying for help and more often then not they'll be on the opposite side of the battlefield to where I am.

Necris Omega

Jul 27, 2011
V4Viewtiful said:
CelestDaer said:
V4Viewtiful said:
If the crappy FFX can get a HD remake, there's hope. Dammit!

Mmm... give me Majora's Mask wrapped in Twilight Princess+ level graphics with the smooth buttery combat system of Wind Waker and I'll be contented forever more. Only thing better would be if they did an extended cut or the like.