Zero Punctuation: Inversion

eniac0

Aug 3, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
I know you have this song stuck in your head after the video so...

it wasn't.

..but now it is.

in a way, thanks, it knocked off the previous one stuck in there.

K4RN4GE911

Apr 27, 2010
I see your end rhyme Yahtzee and raise you one limmerick.

There was a crap game called Inversion,
Which really was full of perversion.
Not nipples and boobs,
but muscle-bound dudes,
with gameplay that breaks all immersion.

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
It's so disappointing when a story takes a good concept and doesn't take it to ALL its logical conclusions. Why does every story with telekinesis just have people lifting heavy things or people? Why not use it to pinch a person's nerves, thereby paralyzing them with pain? The best works are those that explore their gimick, not just retred old ground.

A non-video game example: the manga Embalming: The Another Tale of Frankenstein (and no, that's not a typo, it's just that engrish a title). Instead of just having dudes fight a bunch of monsters cobbled together by Doctor Victor Frankenstein, they had him be decades dead but his research available to the black market. Consequently, you have monster makers all over the world and using the research as a jumping off point for all sorts of insane, awesome frankenstein creatures.

It's a great series because it not only uses the idea of stitching body parts together to create the random monsters to fight, but it sets the world up so that the forms they take are limited only to the imagination. There's even a frankenstein made with an entire village's worth of bodies strung together into one. Why? Because the creator was a crappy monster maker, something which could never be the case if there was only one guy making the monsters because by necessity that one guy couldn't be so incompetant and yet also make so many dangerous frankensteins well.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
It's tragic when you can literally judge a game/movie/book by its cover and then predict things with scary accuracy. Like if you know enough about tropes and have seen it before, that you can predict every slightest detail about the Eragon books.

Boguslaw Rymut

Jul 25, 2012
In recent year there was several games based on 'gravity mechanics'.
Gravity Rush is latest example of 'gravity' manipulation as 'new innovative feature'.
It will be nice to hear Yahtzee opinion of some Playstation Vita games, or just playstation vita as a handheld.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
So, the game that seemed like it would turn out a bland Gears of War clone that ineffectually borrows mechanics from other (superior) games ended up being just that?

Good to know.

I guess I'll just go play Gears of War again instead. Say about that game what you like, at the very least it does its own shtick well.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
algalon said:
canadamus_prime said:
It's gotta be Russel Davis. And maybe it's actually about the writer/producer of Torchwood and the whole game is what goes on inside his head.
The twist ending is this.
Oh please don't go there. MovieBob already gave me a headache with that this week.

TheKaduflyerSystem

Feb 15, 2011
10PM Pointless Opinion: I don't give a damn I want Planetside?

This has been an excellent evening, I for one love telling people my opinions and find it amusing when people complain that I do; I've been vomiting forth useless text for an hour or so and feel refreshed.

Edit: I don't give a damn about this GAME BTW; I've made a point of avoiding most FPS' that I haven't studied until I know the story, trivia, backstory, serial number and how many different things I can shoot in it. A lesson I learn after playing the painfully average Sniper: Ghost Warrior

MailOrderClone

Nov 30, 2009
I would contend that this gravity-sodomizing cover-based shooter would be vastly improved had it contained the entire cast of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. As it does not, I will not even be giving it a rent.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Are there any Russians? If not INOVATION!! It is a shame I am right though, what is wrong with using the imagination?

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
"The world's being invaded, you can always stay home and make another one." you know, I'm getting really sick of Yahtzee's anti-kids jokes. I mean, when the kids are actually annoying in the game or interfere with the experience, I can understand, but basically, he's criticizing a father for being worried about his daughter, and saying "why can't he just make another" is dehumanizing to the point of being beyond unfunny. So, yeah, go ahead, try and poke holes in my logic just because I pointed out something I didn't like about this video.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
MB202 said:
So, yeah, go ahead, try and poke holes in my logic just because I pointed out something I didn't like about this video.
Well, it's not being anti-kids or dehumanizing to point out how foolish it is to go out and face near certain death to massive invading hordes of murder machines and armed forces for the sole reason of saving any child, even your own, that you don't even know is still alive. Self-preservation is kinda vital for your continued existence. It's why if a plane is going down, you put your own oxygen-mask on first before assisting children. In good writing, this would most likely be the protagonist's tragic flaw, leading to a downfall far greater than had they not pursued the actions dictated by that flaw.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
You know I don't play a lot of shooters, so that's probably why I don't share all the hate for them. I'm not even against cover based mechanics. I must be sheltered.

Oh, Fresh Prince reference! That actually made me burst out laughing. Good show!

[sub]I'm suddenly wondering if there's a place where I can watch those old episodes.[/sub]

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
For some reason this game really reminds me of Quantum Theory and that is not a good thing.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
I really want to see Yahtzee spend an episode reviewing some indie horror like Slender or Cry of Fear.

telecaster24

Jul 15, 2011
I kept thinking of Russell T. Davies, writer/producer Torchwood and the Doctor Who revival.
I haven't played Inversion, but I remember thinking the concept sounded fun. Now I know that it's not. Thanks again, Yahtzee, as you have saved me money and disappointment.
Also, I think we need a "Shit's Fucked" t-shirt of Yahtzee being chased by the Nazi velociraptors.