Zero Punctuation: Inversion

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Inversion

This week, after the surprise of Spec Ops: The Line, Inversion has us back to being able to judge a game by the cover.

Watch Video

charliesbass

Feb 22, 2012
I really hated this game. I thought it was going to be a unique gem after the TomSka video but it just became another repugnant shooter. Anyway, thanks for your input Yahtzee.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Be ye video game? or be ye checklist?

That's going on my imaginary list of "best things Yahtzee said".

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Ha! That ending really got me!

Anyway, does anyone mind spoiling that plot twist for me? (In tags, natch.) I mean, after that, it's not like I was going to play it anyway.

EDIT: never mind, I found out and it makes sense.

If you want spoilers, go to this forum.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/977455-inversion/63049549

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I'm surprise he didn't talk about the crazy plot twist near the end of the game that turns the whole game into a giant MINDFUCK!!!!!!!

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
I hate it when a game promises you Cadbury creme eggs and then doesn't deliver. Not even those mini creme eggs. Damnit.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
It's gotta be Russel Davis. And maybe it's actually about the writer/producer of Torchwood and the whole game is what goes on inside his head.

TheFriskySpatula

Aug 14, 2011
If the fact that a game has guns in it makes me reconsider a purchase, there's too damn many shooters in the market :/

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fresh Prince is timeless!

Hmmm..Prince of Bel-Air: Sands of Time.

Sorry, trying to think of something better than a boilerplate shooter.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
And you'd like to take a minute just sit right there to tell us how you became the prince of a town called Bel-Air?

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
charliesbass said:
I really hated this game. I thought it was going to be a unique gem after the TomSka video but it just became another repugnant shooter. Anyway, thanks for your input Yahtzee.
Wait there was a Tomska video about this game? When was this?

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
trollpwner said:

Anyway, does anyone mind spoiling that plot twist for me? (In tags, natch.) I mean, after that, it's not like I was going to play it anyway.

That's a bit like Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom then, but in that game you can start figuring out the twist by the end of the first "generation".

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
The only thing I'd ever seen about this game was the cover art. I guess it was one of those games that the publisher was embarrassed by. Who was the publisher anyway? And no, I'm not going to Google it, because I don't really care.

On another note, Fresh Prince: The Game. Somebody make that right now.

Elyxard

Dec 12, 2010
I think this was released during E3. You can definitely tell that the publisher just wanted to get this out there without anyone noticing.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:

I wanto play that NOW. Get on it, Ubisoft!

The V Man said:
To quote Lord Humongous:

"Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror."
But what then will Yahtzee gripe about? Good to see him back spewing his hate bile on cliche'ed malarkey.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
So they basically borrowed one mechanic from Half-Life 2, another from Prey, didn't implement either one very well, and called it a day?

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Falseprophet said:
trollpwner said:

That's a bit like Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom then, but in that game you can start figuring out the twist by the end of the first "generation".
It's remarkably similar to Phantasy Star III. But yes, in PSIII there was some foreshadowing before the big reveal at the end. Wasn't there a village in the second generation where elders told the whole story? I'm not quite sure. I'm surprised anyone remembers PSIII.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
It's sort of like Dark City but without the gripping plot and amazing visuals and proper use of super powers.

So, boring.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
There's only one thing worse than a game that rips off elements form elements from other games and that's when they do it all wrong.

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
...and I'd like to take a minute just sit right there, I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Brisbane.

In Rugby 'wickshire born and raised in my bedroom I would spend most of my days. Shootin' all clickin' all and relaxing all cool when my parents they were up to no good! Started making trouble for my neighborhood! I stopped getting dinner and that made it abundantly clear I said "I'm moving by myself in Australia, Brisbane."

I booked on a jet and when it came near I thought what's with this is a giantic falick with straight veins! If anything I could say that this plane was bland but I thought man forget it yo home to Brisbane!

I pulled up to a house with major jet lag and said yo pops, smell ya later! I looked at the internet I was finally there to sit on my throne as the prince of The Escapist.

(I tried)

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Wow, that Fresh Prince joke caught me off guard!

Yet another dreary, soulless shooter to avoid then? Yawn. I think this year's E has shown us all the games we really should pay attention to.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
For some reason, the gravity mechanic described here makes me think back to Destroy All Humans, and the psychokinesis power. God, I want to play that game again now. That's how such a power should be implemented. I remember bouncing enemies off every solid surface I could find, or if I was outside, flinging them high into the air before blasting them with the desintegrator ray to see if I could vapourise them before they hit the ground. Ah, good times.

Oh, and the time I beat a government agent to death with a cow. That was fun too.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
This just in: Generic Game is a Generic Pile of Generic Crap.

It's a Namco Bandai title. I'm almost not surprised.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Random berk said:
For some reason, the gravity mechanic described here makes me think back to Destroy All Humans, and the psychokinesis power. God, I want to play that game again now. That's how such a power should be implemented. I remember bouncing enemies off every solid surface I could find, or if I was outside, flinging them high into the air before blasting them with the desintegrator ray to see if I could vapourise them before they hit the ground. Ah, good times.

Oh, and the time I beat a government agent to death with a cow. That was fun too.
What I enjoyed doing was placing the farmer' wife on the roof of a shed next to a lake while she was still alive, then jumping up to have her scream "MY GOLLY, LITTLE GREEN MEN!!!" and run in the opposite direction, only to forget that there was a lake there, drop off the building and drown.
Fun times.

OT: So they just took that one gravity shift thing from PREY, except took out the acid launching shotguns and implemented cover, as well as a physics gun of sorts that has lost almost all efficiency?
*insert snoring sounds*

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
Once again, ideas from Half Life 2 are used horribly wrong.
tautologico said:
Falseprophet said:
trollpwner said:

It's remarkably similar to Phantasy Star III. But yes, in PSIII there was some foreshadowing before the big reveal at the end. Wasn't there a village in the second generation where elders told the whole story? I'm not quite sure. I'm surprised anyone remembers PSIII.
Time to pull out the Genesis and dust off those cartridges.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
And i even believed that it might be good after watching some scripted gameplay footage, what a fool i was.

tenkerasu

Jul 4, 2008
This is why I watch this show, in order to find out whether or not I'll like the games. Problem is, half the time I just don't buy the games he reviews and just pick up whatever cutesy XBLA game is cheapest. Like for instance, I'm playing Minecraft. And that's about it.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
It's gotta be Russel Davis. And maybe it's actually about the writer/producer of Torchwood and the whole game is what goes on inside his head.
The twist ending is this.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
SnakeoilSage said:
It's sort of like Dark City but with the gripping plot and amazing visuals and proper use of super powers.

So, boring.
Aww... I liked Dark City :(
Anything with Jennifer Connelly, Kiefer Sutherland and vampire aliens can't be all bad.

Anywho, Good review, Yahtzee! Keep up the good snark :)

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Hutzpah Chicken said:
Once again, ideas from Half Life 2 are used horribly wrong.
tautologico said:
Falseprophet said:
trollpwner said:

Time to pull out the Genesis and dust off those cartridges.
Actually you might not need to I'm pretty sure they included the original Phantasy Star games on that Sega greatest hits thing.

eniac0

Aug 3, 2010
There's the Yathzee we love so much.

in other news, yes fresh prince is timeless. now im totally down with fresh prince reboot with will smith as the judge and will smith's kid as the fresh prince. comedy gold right there.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Speaking of supposedly innovative gameplay mechnics nicked shamelessly from better games, that floaty gravity field power that pulls enemies out of cover sounds a heck of a lot like the singularity ability from the Mass Effect games.

eniac0

Aug 3, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
I know you have this song stuck in your head after the video so...

it wasn't.

..but now it is.

in a way, thanks, it knocked off the previous one stuck in there.

K4RN4GE911

Apr 27, 2010
I see your end rhyme Yahtzee and raise you one limmerick.

There was a crap game called Inversion,
Which really was full of perversion.
Not nipples and boobs,
but muscle-bound dudes,
with gameplay that breaks all immersion.

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
It's so disappointing when a story takes a good concept and doesn't take it to ALL its logical conclusions. Why does every story with telekinesis just have people lifting heavy things or people? Why not use it to pinch a person's nerves, thereby paralyzing them with pain? The best works are those that explore their gimick, not just retred old ground.

A non-video game example: the manga Embalming: The Another Tale of Frankenstein (and no, that's not a typo, it's just that engrish a title). Instead of just having dudes fight a bunch of monsters cobbled together by Doctor Victor Frankenstein, they had him be decades dead but his research available to the black market. Consequently, you have monster makers all over the world and using the research as a jumping off point for all sorts of insane, awesome frankenstein creatures.

It's a great series because it not only uses the idea of stitching body parts together to create the random monsters to fight, but it sets the world up so that the forms they take are limited only to the imagination. There's even a frankenstein made with an entire village's worth of bodies strung together into one. Why? Because the creator was a crappy monster maker, something which could never be the case if there was only one guy making the monsters because by necessity that one guy couldn't be so incompetant and yet also make so many dangerous frankensteins well.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
It's tragic when you can literally judge a game/movie/book by its cover and then predict things with scary accuracy. Like if you know enough about tropes and have seen it before, that you can predict every slightest detail about the Eragon books.

Boguslaw Rymut

Jul 25, 2012
In recent year there was several games based on 'gravity mechanics'.
Gravity Rush is latest example of 'gravity' manipulation as 'new innovative feature'.
It will be nice to hear Yahtzee opinion of some Playstation Vita games, or just playstation vita as a handheld.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
So, the game that seemed like it would turn out a bland Gears of War clone that ineffectually borrows mechanics from other (superior) games ended up being just that?

Good to know.

I guess I'll just go play Gears of War again instead. Say about that game what you like, at the very least it does its own shtick well.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
algalon said:
canadamus_prime said:
The twist ending is this.
Oh please don't go there. MovieBob already gave me a headache with that this week.

TheKaduflyerSystem

Feb 15, 2011
10PM Pointless Opinion: I don't give a damn I want Planetside?

This has been an excellent evening, I for one love telling people my opinions and find it amusing when people complain that I do; I've been vomiting forth useless text for an hour or so and feel refreshed.

Edit: I don't give a damn about this GAME BTW; I've made a point of avoiding most FPS' that I haven't studied until I know the story, trivia, backstory, serial number and how many different things I can shoot in it. A lesson I learn after playing the painfully average Sniper: Ghost Warrior

MailOrderClone

Nov 30, 2009
I would contend that this gravity-sodomizing cover-based shooter would be vastly improved had it contained the entire cast of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. As it does not, I will not even be giving it a rent.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Are there any Russians? If not INOVATION!! It is a shame I am right though, what is wrong with using the imagination?

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
OMG I laughed hard at that Fresh Prince reference, it is still one of the best sitcoms ever !

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
"The world's being invaded, you can always stay home and make another one." you know, I'm getting really sick of Yahtzee's anti-kids jokes. I mean, when the kids are actually annoying in the game or interfere with the experience, I can understand, but basically, he's criticizing a father for being worried about his daughter, and saying "why can't he just make another" is dehumanizing to the point of being beyond unfunny. So, yeah, go ahead, try and poke holes in my logic just because I pointed out something I didn't like about this video.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
MB202 said:
So, yeah, go ahead, try and poke holes in my logic just because I pointed out something I didn't like about this video.
Well, it's not being anti-kids or dehumanizing to point out how foolish it is to go out and face near certain death to massive invading hordes of murder machines and armed forces for the sole reason of saving any child, even your own, that you don't even know is still alive. Self-preservation is kinda vital for your continued existence. It's why if a plane is going down, you put your own oxygen-mask on first before assisting children. In good writing, this would most likely be the protagonist's tragic flaw, leading to a downfall far greater than had they not pursued the actions dictated by that flaw.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
You know I don't play a lot of shooters, so that's probably why I don't share all the hate for them. I'm not even against cover based mechanics. I must be sheltered.

Oh, Fresh Prince reference! That actually made me burst out laughing. Good show!

[sub]I'm suddenly wondering if there's a place where I can watch those old episodes.[/sub]

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
For some reason this game really reminds me of Quantum Theory and that is not a good thing.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
I really want to see Yahtzee spend an episode reviewing some indie horror like Slender or Cry of Fear.

telecaster24

Jul 15, 2011
I kept thinking of Russell T. Davies, writer/producer Torchwood and the Doctor Who revival.
I haven't played Inversion, but I remember thinking the concept sounded fun. Now I know that it's not. Thanks again, Yahtzee, as you have saved me money and disappointment.
Also, I think we need a "Shit's Fucked" t-shirt of Yahtzee being chased by the Nazi velociraptors.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:

Are you talking about this?

Yeah, I liked the dated reference too.

OT: The only thing I used to find interesting about this game was the box art. After this review that is still the only thing I find interesting about this game...

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Scrustle said:
The only thing I'd ever seen about this game was the cover art. I guess it was one of those games that the publisher was embarrassed by. Who was the publisher anyway? And no, I'm not going to Google it, because I don't really care.
Gotta say, I've seen NO press for this game AT ALL, that's gotta be suicide for a physical release.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
That sunglasses twat has had his vision augmented.
Orange.
Lemon-lime.
What a shame.
What a rotten way to go.

(You never asked for this.)

RockOn3906

Jun 7, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
I'm glad there's somebody else on the Escapist site who went straight to the Russell Davies reference, as well. My first thought after hearing the guy's name was literally, "Wait, how did the writer for 'Doctor Who' get namedropped in all of this?"

Belbe

Oct 12, 2009
Good golly never in my life would I have suspected that reference at the end there come out of Yahtzee. This game seems to embody all that is fail about modern mainstream games lol.

charliesbass

Feb 22, 2012
Volstag9 said:
charliesbass said:
Wait there was a Tomska video about this game? When was this?
It's called 'First Date' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0SQlxGbplw

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
tenkerasu said:
This is why I watch this show, in order to find out whether or not I'll like the games. Problem is, half the time I just don't buy the games he reviews and just pick up whatever cutesy XBLA game is cheapest. Like for instance, I'm playing Minecraft. And that's about it.
Yeah even with knowing what I want to get from the great Yahtzee I've only got the money to get whats cheapest. Lately its been Crysis Warhead for the $10, Mark of the Ninja on XBLA and free games.