Zero Punctuation: Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Bloody hell, I could almost see the loathing ooze from the screen. Brilliant, mate!
I honestly had no intention of playing this game, and the review on the Escapist (as in the real thing, not ZP) didn't exactly inspire much hope in this. Glad somebody had the massive balls to utterly tear this apart.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Ugh. Yahtzee, I know your challenge is, each week, to come up with another horrible (in a good way...ish) analogy for something, but that last one actually made me gag. Ulgh, I can't even watch this one again just because I'm afraid I'll magically forget about it and accidentally hear it again.

So, congrats on that? Funny review, as always, and I'm glad to see that even with the same character shapes, same setup and same expectations, you manage to mix it up and keep it interesting week after week. That's a real talent you've got there, and I'm glad the Escapist caught you when they did.

Now I need to think about something other than your analogies for a while. Excuse me.

Twin Of Aphex

Nov 7, 2008
It breaks my heart i spent £36 on the 'special edition' and I wont even get half of that if i trade it in...

T0xiCity8

May 26, 2008
Batsamaritan said:
Second time I knew something was wrong with this game the advertising told me I could play a medicated psycopath as if that was a good thing. Only if i was fifteen, and then i probably wouldn't know what a medicated psychopath was, or at least thought it was someone in a 'mature' game, because this is the kind of game that fifteen year olds think is mature.
Eh... You are aware of games like Red Dead Redemption and GTA etc you play a psychopath and a murderer? Kane and Lynch are mature because they actually paint the characters as what they are - cold blooded killers. They are anti heros.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Maybe he'll like Vanquish...If he reviews it. Cover based shooting, but JET PROPELLED!
That was also the first thing I thought of when he mentioned how boring cover-based shooters have become.

The rant itself was hilarious though, certainly the best recent Zero Punctuation I remember; almost a throw-back to the older videos in that sense. Though the comments regarding just how ugly the game is were rather interesting. Not as in terms of the graphics, but more the characters; I've only played the demo but as Yahtzee said there appears to be absolutely no redeeming qualities in these characters; there's absolutely no reason to care about them at all - they don't even seem to have a goal the player can agree with, so why should we want them to succeed in the first place?

RichardThompson

Aug 25, 2010
Brilliant review, that game is dreadful. My friend got it from HMV today and brought it back 2 hours later claiming it didn't work.

jazzkid212

Aug 30, 2009
i love the call out about jeff G, i never looked at gamespot again after they fired him for that

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Wow he is completely right about the visuals. The pixelated effect looks like your video card is dying.

Kais86

May 21, 2008
I think Yahtzee really liked Cooking Mama, he's mentioned it repeatedly, usually while trying to spice up something that would be otherwise extremely bland.

T0xiCity8

May 26, 2008
Batsamaritan said:
T0xiCity8 said:
Batsamaritan said:
Second time I knew something was wrong with this game the advertising told me I could play a medicated psycopath as if that was a good thing. Only if i was fifteen, and then i probably wouldn't know what a medicated psychopath was, or at least thought it was someone in a 'mature' game, because this is the kind of game that fifteen year olds think is mature.
Eh... You are aware of games like Red Dead Redemption and GTA etc you play a psychopath and a murderer? Kane and Lynch are mature because they actually paint the characters as what they are - cold blooded killers. They are anti heros.
yes i'm totally aware that those characters are killers, thieves ect. But they have character arcs, they learn things and develop over time and their interesting which is what makes them way more mature than kane and lynch not the fact they go around killing people. Kane and lynch lack any sophistication, character development in fact they lack EVERYTHING, All they represent is a vision of maturity that involves violence and death... their not anti-heroes, anti heroes are interesting their just twats.
Have you played the games? They actually do have a lot of backstory and sophistication. It's just not present so blatantly and cliched like something from a Hollywood movie. Take the scene in Dog Days were Lynch breaks down. This is a man who built a new life for himself from nothing and lost it all. And is now driven to the very edge.

tiberseptim

Apr 15, 2009
Yes, how about that Duke Nukem development?

Everything I've seen says that both sides are happy with the direction it's going and Gearbox has proven on several occasions the ability to actually RELEASE SHIT, so for time being, I'm cautiously optimistic. Here's hoping they have the sense to go in the direction of self-parody cause playing Duke Nukem straight in 2010 would just be horrific.

GuiltBlade

Nov 6, 2009
The holiday leave you with an excess of bile?

It's good to see another one in which Yahtzee simply explodes with anger instead of going through the tedium of making up good points which could have worked but didn't.

Another enjoyable episode in which we are reminded why censoring was invented.

Rogthgar

Aug 18, 2008
Decent review.

Getting sick of the K&L adds on every page i go to.

Waiting for Yatzee to grow a pair and review SC2.