Zero Punctuation: Kid Icarus: Uprising

Richfeet

Jul 28, 2011
Swifteye said:
I actually got to play this game a bit. And if anything. I agree that the humor is very obnoxious. They don't even try to be subtle. They just plain curb stomp the 4th wall with references. Who the heck does that except for a complete parody piece? That would be like if I was playing kingdom hearts and every Disney and square enix character mentioned a specific event from the movie/game and the sequels despite that contradicting the current plot line of the conjoined universe they were currently in.

Ya don't do that! Immersion, hello? Pit whines like a little girl too about his lack of flying I mean seriously he does not stop talking about it. The gameplay was kinda fun but I did have some problems with the controls. I played the first level and my arm was feeling the burn. I don't understand this control setup. Why is this game like this?
It's a parody of Groucho Marx silly. Come one, rapid fire jokes? Monsters that look like Groucho? Really man. subtlety? Ha!! That's what you play Uncharted games for (great game by the way). Also this game is a sequel to SSBB man. Pit is the protagonist in Subspace Emissary That's why he knows so much about other Nintendo worlds. The games not giving references, It's are harping to his adventure in Brawl. I hope you've learned something today man.

Spenstar

Jul 23, 2011
Bleh. I guess it was funny, but I have not disagreed with you so much on a game review since Smash Bros Brawl. I'll start out with the good points. Your disclaimer about being unbiased was actually backed up with examples of what you like(d) about Nintendo. You liked the Gamecube and the DS? Cool, you don't like the direction Nintendo is going, that's all. So, Yahtzee, if you really liked the Gamecube and DS, you should have told us before this. Just sayin' With that in mind...

One, the controls. They're bad at first but I got used to them quickly, and I don't see what the problem is with them anymore. honestly, I couldn't think of a way to make them better (I'm not good with dual-analog) until you mentioned tapping the touch screen to fire. That's... legit. Props to you. There is an "auto-fire" option, but it lacks the satisfying feedback from pressing a button or tapping a touch screen. You can customize the controls, but the other options just aren't good. Still, you could have brought that up. Also, I have discovered that you can hold the stand with the game on it and play perfectly fine.

Two, the story. Yes, it mentions the old game a couple times, but not to a jarring extent and it stops after a while. I had no idea if you even played through the story mode completely because you said Medusa was the villain. The story goes from great to awesome (IMO anyway) in the second half, and it even has the whole mixture of gameplay and story that you harp on about so much.

Three, the "distracting" visuals. This is a new one that I have no idea where it came from. The visuals were AMAZING and not distracting at all as far as I'm concerned, especially in 3D. Is this your cannot-say-a-nice-thing way of saying that it looks gorgeous?

Four, I recall you complaining about the difficulty and then giving the difficulty adjuster a passing mention. WTF? There were some legit complains about that, like how insulting it is to have the game automatically ease up if you die. But otherwise, I liked it a lot and it added a lot of replay value for me.

Five, the astounding variety of weapons were not even mentioned, and fusion only got a passing mention. Are you trying to avoid saying something good about this game? The weapon variety and fusion system was what kept me coming back to the game weeks after I beat it. You mention the pointless mini game but not this? That's like not mentioning the multiplayer in NSMB Wii.

Overall, it felt like you went out of your way to insult this game. Which is sad, because it's really a great game. You may not have hated Nintendo back in the GCN and DS days, but you sure as hell hate them now and your initial disclaimer isn't fooling anyone. Sorry.

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
SatansBestBuddy said:
Surprised he didn't complain about the alien invasion. Seriously, who nitpicks deviations from Greek mythology when a game decides to have an alien invasion in the middle of their interpretation of Greek mythology?
that part is historically accurate... or rather accurate according to the history channel.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I already inherently dislike this game for the simple reason that the only way to play this game left handed is to buy ANOTHER peripheral.

There was usually a reverse option for games that heavily use the stylus, there isn't one and I shouldn't be indirectly punished for requiring one.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Father Time said:
I only knew Persephone was Queen of the Underworld from the God of War games. They may not always be entirely faithful to Greek mythology but at least they got that right.
Honestly, I think that this game is just the series embracing the fact that it never was true Greek myth from the beginning, and just going with its own made-up pantheon.

I don't remember a goddess named Viridi in Greek myth, for example.

Iampringles

Dec 13, 2008
Funniest ZP in a long time.
I would have thought the protagonist would have been called Icarus, given the title of the game...

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
So, uh, everyone seems to be going on and on about how shit the controls are, (and I'm sure many of them haven't had any first hand experience with the game or even the 3ds) but I played a game called Metroid Prime: Hunters about 6 years ago and thought the controls worked well enough.....better than any other control scheme I could imagine for that type of game on the system. It's a shame they didn't include dual analog support in Kid Icarus. Whether I would've used it or not, it would've made the game more enjoyable to some.....although I am a fan of standardized control schemes, especially when it comes to competitive gaming.

Yahtzee has always twisted facts and omitted others to make his criticisms seem more valid or amusing, and everybody around here claims to know that. Yet, so many seem to assume his criticisms are valid for games that they know next to nothing about and have never played before. Some even defend his points against those more knowledgeable in the matter.

Entertaining as usual Yahtzee. I could make my go-to "Nintendo doesn't rehash it's franchises and in fact is incredibly liberal with them when compared to most AAA devs making sequels" argument, but I'll just take the GC and DS compliments and go check out what that game was that you thought deserved a spot amongst Windwaker and Metroid Prime......seriously, it must be fucking brilliant.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Richfeet said:
Swifteye said:
I actually got to play this game a bit. And if anything. I agree that the humor is very obnoxious. They don't even try to be subtle. They just plain curb stomp the 4th wall with references. Who the heck does that except for a complete parody piece? That would be like if I was playing kingdom hearts and every Disney and square enix character mentioned a specific event from the movie/game and the sequels despite that contradicting the current plot line of the conjoined universe they were currently in.

Ya don't do that! Immersion, hello? Pit whines like a little girl too about his lack of flying I mean seriously he does not stop talking about it. The gameplay was kinda fun but I did have some problems with the controls. I played the first level and my arm was feeling the burn. I don't understand this control setup. Why is this game like this?
It's a parody of Groucho Marx silly. Come one, rapid fire jokes? Monsters that look like Groucho? Really man. subtlety? Ha!! That's what you play Uncharted games for (great game by the way). Also this game is a sequel to SSBB man. Pit is the protagonist in Subspace Emissary That's why he knows so much about other Nintendo worlds. The games not giving references, It's are harping to his adventure in Brawl. I hope you've learned something today man.
Um dude. How do they know the name of the game? They referenced the game not actual continuity. You do know what I mean by subtlety don't you? I was talking about the narrative not the motley crew of random monsters (which by the way never stopped dragon quest despite having some really silly looking creatures with terrible puns for names) which has nothing to do with how the story carries itself.
How can this game be a sequel to a crossover fighting game? Should we expect Zelda to gab about mario in the next legend of zelda game or hear solid snake murmur about that one time he was swallowed up by a pink balloon (nevermind that could actually happen)?

Let me just lay down what I expected. Do you remember that one scene in the tutorial where they describe the controls? Pit says "hey that looks familiar..." He could have just left it at that and that would have been enough to get the reference. But Nooo. They went on to missname the game they were referencing and then after that they flat out name the game completely.
Please. If i'm forgetting the part where they mentioned super smash brothers melee in super smash brothers melee let me know cause otherwise. It was a hamfisted reference.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Wait did he just compliment Ace Attorney in that vid? +1 rep

Well, that's rather unexpected... It is one of the best games on the DS but I thought he didn't like visual novel type games?

Don't look a gift compliment in the mouth I guess, especially when it comes from Yahtzee XD

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Iampringles said:
I would have thought the protagonist would have been called Icarus, given the title of the game...

Anyhows: If I do purchase a 3DS in the future, I doubt this will be one of the games I get

Richfeet

Jul 28, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
Wait did he just compliment Ace Attorney in that vid? +1 rep

Well, that's rather unexpected... It is one of the best games on the DS but I thought he didn't like visual novel type games?

Don't look a gift compliment in the mouth I guess, especially when it comes from Yahtzee XD
Swifteye said:
Richfeet said:
Swifteye said:

Um dude. How do they know the name of the game? They referenced the game not actual continuity. You do know what I mean by subtlety don't you? I was talking about the narrative not the motley crew of random monsters (which by the way never stopped dragon quest despite having some really silly looking creatures with terrible puns for names) which has nothing to do with how the story carries itself.
How can this game be a sequel to a crossover fighting game? Should we expect Zelda to gab about mario in the next legend of zelda game or hear solid snake murmur about that one time he was swallowed up by a pink balloon (nevermind that could actually happen)?

Let me just lay down what I expected. Do you remember that one scene in the tutorial where they describe the controls? Pit says "hey that looks familiar..." He could have just left it at that and that would have been enough to get the reference. But Nooo. They went on to missname the game they were referencing and then after that they flat out name the game completely.
Please. If i'm forgetting the part where they mentioned super smash brothers melee in super smash brothers melee let me know cause otherwise. It was a hamfisted reference.
Ok, so they should have been easter eggs instead or Metal Gear Solid codec humor (in small doses)? That kind of subtlety? Ok. I guess it's been a while since they made Kid icarus. Probably thought it was lost in time or something. Although the game does play like Brawl in a way.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
There's got to be a better way of handling a one stick character movement with a fire button for a 3D rail shooter. Hmm...

Left Stick: Move & Aim
Left Shoulder Button (Ground): Hold to Target Strafe/Tap to recenter camera
Right Shoulder Button: Shoot
A: Jump/Special

Not sure if this is designed as a twin-stick shooter but the game appears to functions similar to Star Fox and a 3rd person shooter. Possibly could of been an alternative to the stylus really and doesn't require the second stick attachment.

MegamanSora

Apr 1, 2012
I know I'm probably the only person on the planet to say this and mean it, but I honestly had no problem with the controls. I had no cramps, no anything. I think I had slight discomfort after about a 4 hour play marathon, that's about it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
It's less people think that you're biased against nintendo and more that they think that you're biased against the Wii because you never pass down an opportunity to rag on it and now that I think about it you've taken a lot of pot shots at the 3DS too. I know that you're not biased but really you can only come back to the same thing with the same complaints and so many times before people start to think that you have a bone to pick.