Zero Punctuation: Kid Icarus: Uprising

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Saw this coming, but mostly because every other reviewer on the planet, and some beyond it, have called it the worst implementation of 3DS controls ever.

And we know you're not biased against Nintendo. You hate everything equally.

dennett316

Jun 30, 2010
Pointless periperal...how about instead of making a stupid stand, just make the controls workable. Come on Nintendo, you're (sometimes) better than this.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
I was kind of hoping for I Am Alive. Mostly because I just went ahead and assumed that Kid Icarus was going to be shit.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
I really enjoyed this game despite the pain caused by the controls.
I am not a Nintendo sheep or twat but I liked the gameplay and voice acting.
NOT BIASED!

Also, in case it matters, YES WHEDON FAN!
I caught that Buffy bit.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Poor Yahtzee, he's lost the use of his hands from that game so now he can't shoot anyone the bird.

Also, must be a huge epidemic of people losing their tits in Australia, hopefully they can duct tape them back on.

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
i cant eve watch the video because of this boring space janitor thing .itsimply wont let me .

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I liked this game a lot. It incentivizes replaying levels on a harder difficulty for more unlocks. It's too bad the controls were the worst thing in a really really long time. It supports the Circlepad Pro accessory which severely enhances the already great Resident Evil game on the system, but they utilize it in the dumbest possible way. For instance, you cannon use the right thumb pad to move the reticle... nope. They made it so left handed people can use the horrendous control scheme. I have given Nintendo a lot of patience over the years. I do not hold their shortcomings against the positive things. Sure Zelda is the not vastly different in play style from previous iterations, but they are great games and every game is layed out completely different from the last with all new secrets to find. But this whole "you must play the game how we want" is fucking stupid. I mean, I'm afraid of the WiiU because it may want me to play every single game in the most uncomfortable way possible. Stop being stupid Nintendo. And you may yet have a future.

FFMaster

May 13, 2009
Methinks he protests too much if he has to spend the first minute of the video saying "i'm not anti nintendo".

Also heres a suggestion , if people don't like the controls why not CHANGE THEM.

Its right there, in the options, if you bothered to look.

Oh thats right that would require reviewers to actually point out this fact rather than ignore it or read a manual.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Anything that sounds like Buffy is a plus in my book.
To bad the rack counters this plus.

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
"spines like the last banana on the shelf"
Why, yes, i did laugh out loud. Verily.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I've heard/watched others complaining about the wonky controls as well.

What's the purpose of a handheld console if you have to use a stand for it to be able to play properly without getting finger cramps.Really bad choice there Nintendo.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Balkan said:
i cant eve watch the video because of this boring space janitor thing .itsimply wont let me .
Yeah, had to refresh like three times. WTF.

Anyway, (obligatory Yahtzee is TEH BIAS comment here).

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Milky1985 said:
Methinks he protests too much if he has to spend the first minute of the video saying "i'm not anti nintendo".

Also heres a suggestion , if people don't like the controls why not CHANGE THEM.

Oh thats right that would require reviewers to actually point out this fact rather than ignore it or read a manual.
Yeah cause its really good game design for people to have to change the control scheme because the default controls are shit

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Was thinking about getting this, until I saw the huge onslaught declaring the controls to be the worst thing since E.T. for the Atari.

I'll give it a shot eventually... just after it comes down in price.

Man, it's looking more and more like the only reason I bought a 3ds was to play Ocarina of Time and Pokemon. :/

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Er, Yahtzee, why are you trying to reason with the fanboys? The only "logic" they will listen to is you blindly sprouting praise of Nintendo and they will undertake any logical contortions necessary to prove that YOU ARE TEH HATE BIASZZZ!!OMG!!£"POIJFPDOJ:NALK!!!

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
I would like to point out that every button and control is customizable, to the point of you being able to play without involving the touch screen at all, if you're crazy.

If you don't like the default, CHANGE IT.

Hell, there is specifically an option for automatically shooting when you've got the targeting scope on the enemy, exactly what Yahtzee said it should have!

And that's only if you can't wrap your head around the default controls. I haven't changed anything except the placement of the "activate special power" button, and I just use the touch screen for that anyway. And I'm perfectly comfortable playing the thing while walking around or lying down on the bed. So there's that, before the "well, if you have to customize it" argument gets thrown around.

And I don't think a two-decade gap is "restraint", it's more like the property going completely dead. Of course, we have learned that most any sequel is too soon 'round these parts.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I was afraid of this. Why did I let my curiosity get the better of me and break my "no Nintendo related reviews" policy w/ Yahtzee and watch this simply because it's one of the best games Nintendo released this year. Okay I'm gonna do this commetary style and go over every single problem I find with Yahtzee's shallow bullcrap. But just prove I'm not heartless, I'll list his good points as well.

Problems:

problem 1. Stop judging the 3DS on the 3D alone. Some of us know the thing is a gimmick but bought it for other reasons. That and Uprising's 3D is actually good.

problem 2. Wow. Way to over-exaggerate the controls there. I rarely get cramps from the game. I have more problems with it being to easy to dash and accidentally falling off narrow platforms, not something as simple as aiming. And I don't even use the stand. Also, you complaining about how you like to lay on a couch and play DS? OK 1, that's your petty problem, not Nintendo's and 2, even I can't do that.

problem 3. So, you're complaining about a game having too much stuff to do now? That's the kind of ungrateful behavior that makes me hate the fighting game community.

problem 4. Visuals too busy to look at? Dude, I don't have the best attention span and even I don't have this problem in all but 3 levels. Perhaps you need too stop drinking all the beer at that pretentious bar of yours.

good point 1. Yeah the dialog is pretty corny at points. But I've heard worse.

good point 2. See now the dashing over the edge thing? That's a legit complaint.

Really not as downright hateful as I thought it would be but still, I love how you claim you aren't biased against Nintendo, just willing to point out the company's flaws even though almost all the time you point out said flaws its nothing more than trivial ***** fitting and/or bullcrap, Yahtzee.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Lordofthesuplex said:
getoffmycloud said:
Yeah cause its really good game design for people to have to change the control scheme because the default controls are shit

To complain about something that trivial shows how lazy, petty, ignorant and downright ungrateful today's gamers have become to me. Thanks for reminding me that, assclown.
Yes! We're so lazy and etitled for demanding that developers do their job and get game design right! God, we're soooo damn naggy and entitled! We should just give them our money and stop being so judgy about what they give us! God!

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Sh, Yahtzee, don't mention Bleak Expectations.
It's my go-to-series for showing off how totally non-mainstream I am for enjoying British comedy that's not even on tv. How am I supposed to do that if people have heard of it?
As for the game, as much as Hades that sounds like Mr. Gently Benevolent sounds like fun, this is not the game that will make me finally buy a 3DS. I still have a lot of DS games I haven't played, and I can play those on the bus.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
trollpwner said:
Lordofthesuplex said:
getoffmycloud said:

To complain about something that trivial shows how lazy, petty, ignorant and downright ungrateful today's gamers have become to me. Thanks for reminding me that, assclown.
Yes! We're so lazy and etitled for demanding that developers do their job and get game design right! God, we're soooo damn naggy and entitled! We should just give them our money and stop being so judgy about what they give us! God!
Literally every single button is customizable. If you're one of those people who can't deal with the default (and if you are, I apologize for not being able to identify with that, since I can handle the default controls just fine), then you can make the controls anything you want.

And because the default control isn't the one you're comfortable with, the developers are lazy and didn't do their job right? Everyone is going to have different opinions as to which control scheme works best for them, so forgive me if I don't believe that there's a perfect control scheme that they should have made the default.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
The only reason I stopped playing this was because I picked up Tales of the Abyss and fell in love with it; I don't hate KI:U, I just found it difficult to get into.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
I've tried to watch this video 10 damn times and the stupid space janitor wrap around thing is making it impossible for the video to load.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Lordofthesuplex said:
But nice things AREN'T SHIT DEFAULT CONTROLS!

Adjustable controls my ass. If they are too incompetent to make a good control scheme to begin with why should I bother to spend money on this game?

Enlong said:
Yes. Shit controls = developers are lazy. So. Fucking. Simple. Making them adjustable is just another shit excuse to not put any thought and time into controls to begin with.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Lordofthesuplex said:
Yes! Yes you are! It took me barely a minute to adjust the controls to my liking, what's your fucking problem then?

And they are doing their job, what might be good controls to one person may be shit to someone else.

Seriously I'm fed up with twats like you that share Yahtzee's elitist mentality and I'm not going to be nice about it anymore since it's why we can't have nice things apparently. Come up with a more legit complaint or shut your fucking mouth.
WAAAA!!! WAAAA!!! People agree with someone I don't! WAAAA!!

Sorry, slipped for a second there.

There's no excuse for having moving controls that throw you off a cliff this badly or for developers creating an original control scheme that is impossible to use. Stop being silly.

Enlong said:
Literally every single button is customizable. If you're one of those people who can't deal with the default (and if you are, I apologize for not being able to identify with that, since I can handle the default controls just fine), then you can make the controls anything you want.

And because the default control isn't the one you're comfortable with, the developers are lazy and didn't do their job right? Everyone is going to have different opinions as to which control scheme works best for them, so forgive me if I don't believe that there's a perfect control scheme that they should have made the default.
Same for you. There's no excuse for us having to faff around because they couldn't make their original control scheme usable.

You can insist that "it's totally good if you change it" all you want, but the original control scheme is how the developers intended people to play, which doesn't paint too good a picture of them, no?

CTYR

Mar 25, 2012
I still don't understand what people are going on about when they whine about the controls, though.
Just from my experience, I can stand up straight whilst walking and I can play the game easily. Left thumb on the circley-thingy, left index finger on the trigger, right hand holding the stylus.
How come this is so difficult for everyone?

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
daxterx2005 said:
I've tried to watch this video 10 damn times and the stupid space janitor wrap around thing is making it impossible for the video to load.
Had the same problem but i kept trying and it eventually worked not much of a solution i know.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Disregard this post, it was a duplication of my last one, laggy internet may have caused a double post?

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
TheKasp said:
Lordofthesuplex said:

Adjustable controls my ass. If they are too incompetent to make a good control scheme to begin with why should I bother to spend money on this game?

Enlong said:
Yes. Shit controls = developers are lazy. So. Fucking. Simple. Making them adjustable is just another shit excuse to not put any thought and time into controls to begin with.
Well, forgive me if I've found little-to-no problem with these allegedly "shit" controls. Several dozen hours in, and the only problem I had was the way I was holding the system, and that went away when I figured out a much more comfortable way to hold it.

The customizable controls are there because if you ask 100 people which setup is the best, you'll get 100 different answers, and that's not even taking lefties into account.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Darks63 said:
daxterx2005 said:
Had the same problem but i kept trying and it eventually worked not much of a solution i know.
daxterx2005 said:
Yeah, I had absolutely horrific loading times as well. It should clear up eventually though. Don't give up hope!

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I would just bring to attention again the fact that medusa is really freaking hot this time around.

Purple tits + snake hair = fap fap fap

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
totally heterosexual said:
I would just bring to attention again the fact that medusa is really freaking hot this time around.

Purple tits + snake hair = fap fap fap
O__o

Your avatar name makes this even funnier.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
sure enough,after I ***** and moan it loads for me :)

"shit game for twats"

Pfttt, if anyone else said that I'd be insulted, but because yahtzee said it I feel honored.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
daxterx2005 said:
sure enough,after I ***** and moan it loads for me :)

"shit game for twats"

Pfttt, if anyone else said that I'd be insulted, but because yahtzee said it I feel honored.
...why?

No, seriously, I'd like to see an elaboration on this.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Lordofthesuplex said:
getoffmycloud said:
Milky1985 said:

Well considering rather than fixing it they felt the need to design a peripheral that stops the 3ds from being a handheld it isn't really that trivial if Nintendo are going to continue being that stupid then I should be able to complain about it

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Poor Medusa, always getting a bad rap. If you look at the actual story, her only offense was having the poor fortune to be raped by a God(Poseidon in this case) in the temple she was priestess to.

therandombear

Sep 28, 2009
Start up game, options, controls, change aim style.
You can change the aim style to the ABXY buttons you know. Lying comfortably in my bed playing Uprising. ;)

I liked the humour, quite funny, and when you up the difficulty some maps have new paths/rooms with hard enemies in them for some nice loot.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
getoffmycloud said:
Lordofthesuplex said:
getoffmycloud said:
Milky1985 said:

Well considering rather than fixing it they felt the need to design a peripheral that stops the 3ds from being a handheld it isn't really that trivial if Nintendo are going to continue being that stupid then I should be able to complain about it
The stand is alright, but I certainly didn't need it for my first playthrough of the game's story. Even now, after I've tried it out, I barely ever use it, unless I'm already sitting at a table or something.

lozfoe444

Aug 26, 2009
I absolutely loved this game. The comedy was right up my alley, the controls never gave me much trouble, and the multiplayer is actually pretty fun.

One thing that did bother me, and I'm surprised Yahtzee didn't bring this up, is that the levels can get pretty samey, and repetition sets in. To quote Pit, "Get up, fall down, get up, fall down. Fight in the air, fight on the ground."

SatansBestBuddy

Sep 7, 2007
Surprised he didn't complain about the alien invasion. Seriously, who nitpicks deviations from Greek mythology when a game decides to have an alien invasion in the middle of their interpretation of Greek mythology?

I'm just gonna assume that everything he didn't bring up in the review is good, because that leaves about 95% of the game. He didn't touch on the story outside of the outline you get in mission fucking one. He didn't remark on the bosses at all. He didn't say anything about weapon variety or enemy design or level design or fucking ANYTHING about the game design outside of shitting on the controls, which he also didn't mention are highly customizable to the point where you can remove the stylus completely. And what, exactly, annoyed him about the dialogue again? I think he called it "self-referencing" but I'm not sure what he means by that. Referencing the one game they had 25 years ago? They stop that after mission 10. Hell, the first 10 missions are basically a remake of that game anyway, and they're never annoying about it. Most of my favourite jokes in the game are when the gods make fun of Pit, which is all the time and all of them do it.

I'm wondering where he gets the retro feeling from. This is the most baffling comment he made, really. After Skyward Sword and Mario 3D Land this game feels a full decade ahead of the rest of Nintendo's offerings. It's easily the most contemporary feeling game Nintendo's made since the GC was in it's prime. This feels like a game from 2012. But I guess because it showed an 8-bit sprite at one point and uses chiptune music for some enemies it's a "retro" game.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Why just yesterday I was playing SSBB and we decided to cycle through some people we never play and Kid was one I played. Actually a good one to use.
And now everything is ruined. Least I still have Snake and Zelda/Shiek to play as.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
Still don't understand why they try to make Medusa; A demon snake woman with a face so ugly that it turns men into stone, hot? STOP MAKING ME WANT TO BONE MY ENEMIES! Also, please leave my pwecious Valkyria Chronicles alone Yahtzee.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Tiger Sora said:
Why just yesterday I was playing SSBB and we decided to cycle through some people we never play and Kid was one I played. Actually a good one to use.
And now everything is ruined. Least I still have Snake and Zelda/Shiek to play as.
So sorry to inform you, but Yahtzee also didn't like MGS or Ocarina of Time.

TechTim

Apr 15, 2011
mmmm... drillbits now i know what im gonna have for dinner instead of mac and cheese

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Enlong said:
TheKasp said:
Lordofthesuplex said:

Enlong said:
Well, forgive me if I've found little-to-no problem with these allegedly "shit" controls. Several dozen hours in, and the only problem I had was the way I was holding the system, and that went away when I figured out a much more comfortable way to hold it.

The customizable controls are there because if you ask 100 people which setup is the best, you'll get 100 different answers, and that's not even taking lefties into account.
Hate to break it to you, but just about every reviewer thus far, even the one for Freaking Nintendo pointed out these are some of the worst controls. Just because YOU didn't have a problem doesn't mean thousands didn't.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
I actually got to play this game a bit. And if anything. I agree that the humor is very obnoxious. They don't even try to be subtle. They just plain curb stomp the 4th wall with references. Who the heck does that except for a complete parody piece? That would be like if I was playing kingdom hearts and every Disney and square enix character mentioned a specific event from the movie/game and the sequels despite that contradicting the current plot line of the conjoined universe they were currently in.

Ya don't do that! Immersion, hello? Pit whines like a little girl too about his lack of flying I mean seriously he does not stop talking about it. The gameplay was kinda fun but I did have some problems with the controls. I played the first level and my arm was feeling the burn. I don't understand this control setup. Why is this game like this?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Lordofthesuplex said:
getoffmycloud said:
Milky1985 said:

Is this you MovieBob? Come clean!

Seriously, you're painting a wonderful picture of fans of this game.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Er...shit.

After I saw that little image of the guy in the hole I just really felt like playing Terraria, and it made me not able to pay attention to the rest of the video.

Was I just trolled by my own mind? Or the video? Or possibly both?

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
therandombear said:
Start up game, options, controls, change aim style.
You can change the aim style to the ABXY buttons you know. Lying comfortably in my bed playing Uprising. ;)
Ultimately I never did that because I'm used to these controls thanks to Metroid Prime Hunters.

Lordofthesuplex said:
Yes! Yes you are! It took me barely a minute to adjust the controls to my liking, what's your fucking problem then?

And they are doing their job, what might be good controls to one person may be shit to someone else.

Seriously I'm fed up with twats like you that share Yahtzee's elitist mentality and I'm not going to be nice about it anymore since it's why we can't have nice things apparently. Come up with a more legit complaint or shut your fucking mouth.
And this ladies and gentlemen is the type of person on the opposite side of the "Can't comprehend that Yatzhee tearing games apart is his job and should be taken with a grain of salt" spectrum, the "I'm angry because Yatzhee didn't like a game I like" side.
Yatzhee himself has said before that he exaggerates and pokes at tiny details and yet there are still people who come up to the stand and either believe that Yatzhee's reviews are the word of god or flip out when a game/series/company they like is under the crosshairs. Both sides of this spectrum, please shut up already. Stop white knighting Yatzhee and stop white knighting for the games he reviews negatively.

I mean come on, next you're going to tell me people complained in the Resistance 3 reviews because "Insomiac did not copy Valve at all, I can't take a joke, etc"

Chill out and enjoy the show or go read reviews that are not done by Yatzhee, the choice is yours.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Enlong said:
TheKasp said:
Lordofthesuplex said:

Enlong said:

Hate to break it to you, but just about every reviewer thus far, even the one for Freaking Nintendo pointed out these are some of the worst controls. Just because YOU didn't have a problem doesn't mean thousands didn't.
Yes, it is rather baffling that so many reviewers had issues with the default control scheme. It's rather unfortunate that a number of them had the same reaction, but I suppose there's no accounting for coincidence. I've been in contact with people in forums and stuff who didn't have problems with the default scheme, so I suppose it's just very unfortunate that lots of the ones who have trouble with it were reviewers. I know that Reviews Are The Gospel, to steal a turn of phrase, but reviewers don't necessarily represent everyone. Again, though, different setups work for different people, so these reviewers are perfectly within their rights to change up the controls.

But perhaps I shouldn't keep talking around you. You deserve better than that. How was your experience with the controls, Robert?

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
I too found the stand to be stupid and the default controls to be shit, so you aren't alone in THAT assessment. But the controls can be customized and picking an option that doesn't use the stylus makes the game MUCH EASIER TO PLAY, even for a left handed person like myself who Nintendo would sooner ship off to concentration camps so we'll stop annoying the right handed master race with our demands for equal rights. That doesn't stop the dashing off cliffs or irritatingly bad camera though, even now 90% of the times I die is because I got cheap shotted by something just off screen...but I still like it! At first it was frustrating but I got used to it and I've barely put it down in 3 weeks!

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
God I love fanboys. Nintendo fanboys are always the most fun. You can't just disagree with a reviewer, you always have to act like someone who gave a game you like a bad review raped your mother on Christmas. Guess what, people have different opinions than you. Something might not be a deal breaker for you but not everyone is you. Fucking deal with it. You actually insult people for not liking a game you like? That's not how reasonable people behave.

Also, if they supplied a cunting stand for a portable console they're at least implicitly admitting to poor design.

Also, because clearly you've not watched any of his videos this feature is called Zero Punctuation. In it Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw rips games apart for comedic effect.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Angels in Greek mythology..... I smell bullcrap

angelos in ancient greek means messenger, the little chaps that delivered messages between the gods, well you know text's hadn't been invented!

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Well, I had a good laugh out of this. I love the game, and I knew Yahtzee wouldn't like it, so here's to not letting someone with a different opinion get to you!

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
ChocoFace said:
"spines like the last banana on the shelf"
Why, yes, i did laugh out loud. Verily.
That line in conjunction with the hilarious pictures of oddly proportioned people had me howling with laughter! I nearly fell off my chair.

OT: I was going to base my purchase of this game on this review. Conclusion? Well I don't think I'll bother! ^_^

Richfeet

Jul 28, 2011
Swifteye said:
I actually got to play this game a bit. And if anything. I agree that the humor is very obnoxious. They don't even try to be subtle. They just plain curb stomp the 4th wall with references. Who the heck does that except for a complete parody piece? That would be like if I was playing kingdom hearts and every Disney and square enix character mentioned a specific event from the movie/game and the sequels despite that contradicting the current plot line of the conjoined universe they were currently in.

Ya don't do that! Immersion, hello? Pit whines like a little girl too about his lack of flying I mean seriously he does not stop talking about it. The gameplay was kinda fun but I did have some problems with the controls. I played the first level and my arm was feeling the burn. I don't understand this control setup. Why is this game like this?
It's a parody of Groucho Marx silly. Come one, rapid fire jokes? Monsters that look like Groucho? Really man. subtlety? Ha!! That's what you play Uncharted games for (great game by the way). Also this game is a sequel to SSBB man. Pit is the protagonist in Subspace Emissary That's why he knows so much about other Nintendo worlds. The games not giving references, It's are harping to his adventure in Brawl. I hope you've learned something today man.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Enlong said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Enlong said:
TheKasp said:
Lordofthesuplex said:

Enlong said:

Yes, it is rather baffling that so many reviewers had issues with the default control scheme. It's rather unfortunate that a number of them had the same reaction, but I suppose there's no accounting for coincidence. I've been in contact with people in forums and stuff who didn't have problems with the default scheme, so I suppose it's just very unfortunate that lots of the ones who have trouble with it were reviewers. I know that Reviews Are The Gospel, to steal a turn of phrase, but reviewers don't necessarily represent everyone. Again, though, different setups work for different people, so these reviewers are perfectly within their rights to change up the controls.

But perhaps I shouldn't keep talking around you. You deserve better than that. How was your experience with the controls, Robert?
First off, name comes from Fight Club, if you must know. "His Name Is Robert Paulson"

but On Topic: I didn't like them. I tried the game for about 30 minutes at my friend's house, and I found myself unable to do basic commands while on the ground. Then again, I'm not very good with the stylus, so I doubt I'm a good judge.

Spenstar

Jul 23, 2011
Bleh. I guess it was funny, but I have not disagreed with you so much on a game review since Smash Bros Brawl. I'll start out with the good points. Your disclaimer about being unbiased was actually backed up with examples of what you like(d) about Nintendo. You liked the Gamecube and the DS? Cool, you don't like the direction Nintendo is going, that's all. So, Yahtzee, if you really liked the Gamecube and DS, you should have told us before this. Just sayin' With that in mind...

One, the controls. They're bad at first but I got used to them quickly, and I don't see what the problem is with them anymore. honestly, I couldn't think of a way to make them better (I'm not good with dual-analog) until you mentioned tapping the touch screen to fire. That's... legit. Props to you. There is an "auto-fire" option, but it lacks the satisfying feedback from pressing a button or tapping a touch screen. You can customize the controls, but the other options just aren't good. Still, you could have brought that up. Also, I have discovered that you can hold the stand with the game on it and play perfectly fine.

Two, the story. Yes, it mentions the old game a couple times, but not to a jarring extent and it stops after a while. I had no idea if you even played through the story mode completely because you said Medusa was the villain. The story goes from great to awesome (IMO anyway) in the second half, and it even has the whole mixture of gameplay and story that you harp on about so much.

Three, the "distracting" visuals. This is a new one that I have no idea where it came from. The visuals were AMAZING and not distracting at all as far as I'm concerned, especially in 3D. Is this your cannot-say-a-nice-thing way of saying that it looks gorgeous?

Four, I recall you complaining about the difficulty and then giving the difficulty adjuster a passing mention. WTF? There were some legit complains about that, like how insulting it is to have the game automatically ease up if you die. But otherwise, I liked it a lot and it added a lot of replay value for me.

Five, the astounding variety of weapons were not even mentioned, and fusion only got a passing mention. Are you trying to avoid saying something good about this game? The weapon variety and fusion system was what kept me coming back to the game weeks after I beat it. You mention the pointless mini game but not this? That's like not mentioning the multiplayer in NSMB Wii.

Overall, it felt like you went out of your way to insult this game. Which is sad, because it's really a great game. You may not have hated Nintendo back in the GCN and DS days, but you sure as hell hate them now and your initial disclaimer isn't fooling anyone. Sorry.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I only knew Persephone was Queen of the Underworld from the God of War games. They may not always be entirely faithful to Greek mythology but at least they got that right.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
MovieBob must weep into his goatee every time Yahtzee reviews a Nintendo game.

Enlong said:
Is this a satire via exaggeration of a pompous, condescending fanboy?

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
SatansBestBuddy said:
Surprised he didn't complain about the alien invasion. Seriously, who nitpicks deviations from Greek mythology when a game decides to have an alien invasion in the middle of their interpretation of Greek mythology?
that part is historically accurate... or rather accurate according to the history channel.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I already inherently dislike this game for the simple reason that the only way to play this game left handed is to buy ANOTHER peripheral.

There was usually a reverse option for games that heavily use the stylus, there isn't one and I shouldn't be indirectly punished for requiring one.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Father Time said:
I only knew Persephone was Queen of the Underworld from the God of War games. They may not always be entirely faithful to Greek mythology but at least they got that right.
Honestly, I think that this game is just the series embracing the fact that it never was true Greek myth from the beginning, and just going with its own made-up pantheon.

I don't remember a goddess named Viridi in Greek myth, for example.

Iampringles

Dec 13, 2008
Funniest ZP in a long time.
I would have thought the protagonist would have been called Icarus, given the title of the game...

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Lordofthesuplex said:
I was afraid of this. Why did I let my curiosity get the better of me and break my "no Nintendo related reviews" policy w/ Yahtzee and watch this simply because it's one of the best games Nintendo released this year. Okay I'm gonna do this commetary style and go over every single problem I find with Yahtzee's shallow bullcrap. But just prove I'm not heartless, I'll list his good points as well.

Problems:

problem 1. Stop judging the 3DS on the 3D alone. Some of us know the thing is a gimmick but bought it for other reasons. That and Uprising's 3D is actually good.

problem 2. Wow. Way to over-exaggerate the controls there. I rarely get cramps from the game. I have more problems with it being to easy to dash and accidentally falling off narrow platforms, not something as simple as aiming. And I don't even use the stand. Also, you complaining about how you like to lay on a couch and play DS? OK 1, that's your petty problem, not Nintendo's and 2, even I can't do that.

problem 3. So, you're complaining about a game having too much stuff to do now? That's the kind of ungrateful behavior that makes me hate the fighting game community.

problem 4. Visuals too busy to look at? Dude, I don't have the best attention span and even I don't have this problem in all but 3 levels. Perhaps you need too stop drinking all the beer at that pretentious bar of yours.

good point 2. See now the dashing over the edge thing? That's a legit complaint.

Really not as downright hateful as I thought it would be but still, I love how you claim you aren't biased against Nintendo, just willing to point out the company's flaws even though almost all the time you point out said flaws its nothing more than trivial ***** fitting and/or bullcrap, Yahtzee.
The video isn't working for me, I think I'm glad. It doesn't like it's worth it.

About the dialogue, I always took it lightly, almost satirical, so I didn't mind and found it funny.
Yahtzee is not anti Nintendo, he just hates Kid Icarus, Zelda, Metroid Prime M and Brawl. Just coincidence! Of course not, doesn't matter what he says he's biased whether he believes it or not.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
So, uh, everyone seems to be going on and on about how shit the controls are, (and I'm sure many of them haven't had any first hand experience with the game or even the 3ds) but I played a game called Metroid Prime: Hunters about 6 years ago and thought the controls worked well enough.....better than any other control scheme I could imagine for that type of game on the system. It's a shame they didn't include dual analog support in Kid Icarus. Whether I would've used it or not, it would've made the game more enjoyable to some.....although I am a fan of standardized control schemes, especially when it comes to competitive gaming.

Yahtzee has always twisted facts and omitted others to make his criticisms seem more valid or amusing, and everybody around here claims to know that. Yet, so many seem to assume his criticisms are valid for games that they know next to nothing about and have never played before. Some even defend his points against those more knowledgeable in the matter.

Entertaining as usual Yahtzee. I could make my go-to "Nintendo doesn't rehash it's franchises and in fact is incredibly liberal with them when compared to most AAA devs making sequels" argument, but I'll just take the GC and DS compliments and go check out what that game was that you thought deserved a spot amongst Windwaker and Metroid Prime......seriously, it must be fucking brilliant.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Richfeet said:
Swifteye said:

It's a parody of Groucho Marx silly. Come one, rapid fire jokes? Monsters that look like Groucho? Really man. subtlety? Ha!! That's what you play Uncharted games for (great game by the way). Also this game is a sequel to SSBB man. Pit is the protagonist in Subspace Emissary That's why he knows so much about other Nintendo worlds. The games not giving references, It's are harping to his adventure in Brawl. I hope you've learned something today man.
Um dude. How do they know the name of the game? They referenced the game not actual continuity. You do know what I mean by subtlety don't you? I was talking about the narrative not the motley crew of random monsters (which by the way never stopped dragon quest despite having some really silly looking creatures with terrible puns for names) which has nothing to do with how the story carries itself.
How can this game be a sequel to a crossover fighting game? Should we expect Zelda to gab about mario in the next legend of zelda game or hear solid snake murmur about that one time he was swallowed up by a pink balloon (nevermind that could actually happen)?

Let me just lay down what I expected. Do you remember that one scene in the tutorial where they describe the controls? Pit says "hey that looks familiar..." He could have just left it at that and that would have been enough to get the reference. But Nooo. They went on to missname the game they were referencing and then after that they flat out name the game completely.
Please. If i'm forgetting the part where they mentioned super smash brothers melee in super smash brothers melee let me know cause otherwise. It was a hamfisted reference.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Wait did he just compliment Ace Attorney in that vid? +1 rep

Well, that's rather unexpected... It is one of the best games on the DS but I thought he didn't like visual novel type games?

Don't look a gift compliment in the mouth I guess, especially when it comes from Yahtzee XD

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Iampringles said:
I would have thought the protagonist would have been called Icarus, given the title of the game...

Anyhows: If I do purchase a 3DS in the future, I doubt this will be one of the games I get

Richfeet

Jul 28, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
Wait did he just compliment Ace Attorney in that vid? +1 rep

Well, that's rather unexpected... It is one of the best games on the DS but I thought he didn't like visual novel type games?

Don't look a gift compliment in the mouth I guess, especially when it comes from Yahtzee XD
Swifteye said:
Richfeet said:
Swifteye said:

Um dude. How do they know the name of the game? They referenced the game not actual continuity. You do know what I mean by subtlety don't you? I was talking about the narrative not the motley crew of random monsters (which by the way never stopped dragon quest despite having some really silly looking creatures with terrible puns for names) which has nothing to do with how the story carries itself.
How can this game be a sequel to a crossover fighting game? Should we expect Zelda to gab about mario in the next legend of zelda game or hear solid snake murmur about that one time he was swallowed up by a pink balloon (nevermind that could actually happen)?

Let me just lay down what I expected. Do you remember that one scene in the tutorial where they describe the controls? Pit says "hey that looks familiar..." He could have just left it at that and that would have been enough to get the reference. But Nooo. They went on to missname the game they were referencing and then after that they flat out name the game completely.
Please. If i'm forgetting the part where they mentioned super smash brothers melee in super smash brothers melee let me know cause otherwise. It was a hamfisted reference.
Ok, so they should have been easter eggs instead or Metal Gear Solid codec humor (in small doses)? That kind of subtlety? Ok. I guess it's been a while since they made Kid icarus. Probably thought it was lost in time or something. Although the game does play like Brawl in a way.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Anoni Mus said:
Lordofthesuplex said:

Problems:

The video isn't working for me, I think I'm glad. It doesn't like it's worth it.

About the dialogue, I always took it lightly, almost satirical, so I didn't mind and found it funny.
Yahtzee is not anti Nintendo, he just hates Kid Icarus, Zelda, Metroid Prime M and Brawl. Just coincidence! Of course not, doesn't matter what he says he's biased whether he believes it or not.
He hates almost everything regardless of publisher. I'll never understand why Nintendo fanboys get so worked up, he does the same thing to Nintendo games that he does to almost every game. Besides it's not like he's unwilling to admit when he is biased, like his hatred for JRPGs.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
There's got to be a better way of handling a one stick character movement with a fire button for a 3D rail shooter. Hmm...

Left Stick: Move & Aim
Left Shoulder Button (Ground): Hold to Target Strafe/Tap to recenter camera
Right Shoulder Button: Shoot
A: Jump/Special

Not sure if this is designed as a twin-stick shooter but the game appears to functions similar to Star Fox and a 3rd person shooter. Possibly could of been an alternative to the stylus really and doesn't require the second stick attachment.

MegamanSora

Apr 1, 2012
I know I'm probably the only person on the planet to say this and mean it, but I honestly had no problem with the controls. I had no cramps, no anything. I think I had slight discomfort after about a 4 hour play marathon, that's about it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
Country
United States
It's less people think that you're biased against nintendo and more that they think that you're biased against the Wii because you never pass down an opportunity to rag on it and now that I think about it you've taken a lot of pot shots at the 3DS too. I know that you're not biased but really you can only come back to the same thing with the same complaints and so many times before people start to think that you have a bone to pick.

mildare

Aug 26, 2010
Yahtzee's reviews have been getting consistently worse for a while now.

Do Fez, you shit.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Iampringles said:
Funniest ZP in a long time.
Nintendo loves confusing the shit out of its consumers. Check DIS fuggin' shyit out!

------------------------------

Anyway, funny video as usual. About what I expected from a ZP vid featuring a Ninty game.
Hilarious comments. About what I expected from a ZP comment section featuring a Ninty game. Fans of the game accusing the other watchers of being spiteful and blind sheep respectively when they just dislike the game. Fans of Yahtzee accusing the people that liked the game of being nostalgia-idled blind sheep when they really just think the game is good and disagree with Yahtzee. Sunrise, sunset, just another day at The Escapist!

As for me personally, I've heard from peers and reviewers alike that the game is good, and the cheesy dialogue in the game makes me laugh, so I'm gonna pick it up. And hey, if the controllers suck as much as everyone says, I'll just change 'em. No big.

Jezzer

Mar 23, 2011
I don't understand why it's so important to people that Yahtzee love their consoles. Why do you care whether or not Yahtzee loves Nintendo? Is someone going to kick in your doors and take away your Wiis and 3DSes because Yahtzee didn't like the latest Mario clone?

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Medusa is really fappable now though.
Interesting. Last time I checked, gorgons were ugly as fuck. Apparently, Nintendo doesn't know as much about Greek mythology as they would like us to think.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
CXZ_inc0g said:
I still don't understand what people are going on about when they whine about the controls, though.
Just from my experience, I can stand up straight whilst walking and I can play the game easily. Left thumb on the circley-thingy, left index finger on the trigger, right hand holding the stylus.
Because people are lazy and hating Nintendo is cool.
Welcome to the interwebz.

And you know what the worst part is? The controls can be changed as much as you like to whatever you like. So there is NO excuse to cry about them. It's one thing to say controls are bad, but are adjustable, but it's another thing to cry about them, trow crap all around your self and say the world is doomed like Yahtzee likes to do.

They can go into the menu and change everything in every game, but when it's Nintendo game, they QQ like little brats because they have to do the same thing they did in any other game.

And Yahtzee, there is a lot going on around the screen, but this is the first time I hear you complain about this, while games have this problem for over 10 years. Look at any shooter game and you will see nothing. They use fucking fireworks instead of bullets. But you didn't complain about it then. No...

One more thing. If you need 1 minute to explain how you're not against Nintendo, there is something wrong. When I'm accused about something I'm not, I simply ignore those accusations. Especially if it's over the internet.

p.s. I'm not mad. I even laughed about some parts. I just find it annoying that Yahtzee can't be funny without thinking things up or completely ignoring parts that beat his arguments. There are many things wrong with Kid Icarus, but Yahtzee rants about some, which aren't even that important.
And complaining about the 3D is funny only so many times.

samaugsch said:
Interesting. Last time I checked, gorgons were ugly as fuck. Apparently, Nintendo doesn't know as much about Greek mythology as they would like us to think.
It's a game about a fucking kid flying, shooting light arrows from 2 swords and having pistols. Where do you see them even trying to be close to Greek mythology. They only used it as a starting point, nothing more.

Deathmageddon

Nov 1, 2011
Y-dawg, PLEASE do Prototype 2 when you can. Worst sequel ever made and one of the worst games I've ever played. Someone needs to rip Radical a new one.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Yaaay, I'm a twat. Thing is, fellow, rather vocal twats make me feel ashamed for liking the same shit as they do. Seriously, am I the only one who fucking loved both the game and yahtzee's review? D8

I loved the game from its "so bad it's good" dialogues and banter, to the ridiculously animefied mythology (which has to be applauded for providing the most hilarious Hades I've ever seen) to its in my opinion quite intuitive control scheme (touchscreen takes the role of the second analog stick the 3DS doesn't have... FOR REASONS I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND). Then again, I do have rather big hands and my wrists are carpal tunnel syndrome proof after finished the last crappy Zelda on the Wii so I might be biased.

I loved the review for being accurate on some criticisms (fuck you, twitchy dodge move), pointing out the hilarious goddess strip show and giving me more great analogies to stea... I mean be inspired from.

PS: Multiplayer is awesome, though. 8DDD

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
samaugsch said:
Spoilers: She does get pretty ugly during the boss fight but the boobage still makes it bearable if you have a bag at hand.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Yahtzee, I'm telling you, if you want a REALLY good game on a Nintendo console, you have to play Xenoblade Chronicles.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Anoni Mus said:
Except for the fact that he doesn't hate Metroid prime he hates Other M and IMO anyone who has any level of taste hated Other M. He also doesn't hate Zelda he hated skyward sword, from passing mentions he seems rather fond of Wind Waker. On top of that he spent the first minute or so of the review talking about how he liked the GameCube and the original DS, but no because he had the nerve to not like a game you enjoyed it is so very obvious that he is biased.

OT: most funny ZP in recent memory, but I already knew I wasn't going to be buying this game and it was only half because of the controls, the other big reason was that based on the clips in the Game Trailers review the voice acting is terrible and the "humor", if you can even call it that made me want to punch my screen.
EDIT:

hurricanejbb said:
Yahtzee, I'm telling you, if you want a REALLY good game on a Nintendo console, you have to play Xenoblade Chronicles.
I would love to see that, because it is way to JRPG for there to be any chance of him liking it, and the insane amount rage that would be generated by a negative review of Xenoblade would probably be enough to tear a hole in reality.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Spot1990 said:
Anoni Mus said:
Lordofthesuplex said:

Problems:

He hates almost everything regardless of publisher. I'll never understand why Nintendo fanboys get so worked up, he does the same thing to Nintendo games that he does to almost every game. Besides it's not like he's unwilling to admit when he is biased, like his hatred for JRPGs.
The problem lies in delivery. With most games, he'll rip them to shreds, but compliment one or two points where things were good. But with pretty much any Nintendo game he's reviewed as of lately, all he does is shit. Maybe if he stayed consistent, he wouldn't come off as biased. I mean, games he's hated with a passion even got the mention of the one or two things that he did find "not shit", but if it's Nintendo, it's nothing but a steaming pile.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
dessertmonkeyjk said:
There's got to be a better way of handling a one stick character movement with a fire button for a 3D rail shooter. Hmm...

Left Stick: Move & Aim
Left Shoulder Button (Ground): Hold to Target Strafe/Tap to recenter camera
Right Shoulder Button: Shoot
A: Jump/Special
Hey, guess what? I just reset my controls to just that. (well, except that I put aiming on ABXY, because putting aim and move on the same thing just doesn't work, since half the game isn't a rail shooter. Also, there is no jump button in this game.)

I still prefer to aim with the touch screen, but whatever floats yer boat.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
BiH-Kira said:
CXZ_inc0g said:
Because people are lazy and hating Nintendo is cool.
Welcome to the interwebz.
Only thing more immature than hating things because it's cool is thinking anyone who hates things you like is hating it because it's cool.
And you know what the worst part is? The controls can be changed as much as you like to whatever you like. So there is NO excuse to cry about them. It's one thing to say controls are bad, but are adjustable, but it's another thing to cry about them, trow crap all around your self and say the world is doomed like Yahtzee likes to do.
Your exaggeration of what yahtzee said is much greater than the exaggerations he made that you're criticizing. Also, I like how hating anything is "crying" now. Fucking annoying. Your post is much more of a "welcome to the interwebz" than anything else I've seen in this thread

And, games should be expected to work and have decent control schemes before changing them. The defaults should be what people are actually, or normally going to use the majority of the time.
They can go into the menu and change everything in every game, but when it's Nintendo game, they QQ like little brats because they have to do the same thing they did in any other game.
I don't know what planet you live on where most people end up changing the controls for most of their games. I don't remember the last time I had to change controls for anything besides inverted camera, mouse sensitivity, and LoL smartcasting (and I wish riot would make that easier too)
One more thing. If you need 1 minute to explain how you're not against Nintendo, there is something wrong. When I'm accused about something I'm not, I simply ignore those accusations. Especially if it's over the internet.
I don't if those accusations stay around for long enough. Also, him raving at viewers is a pretty big part of his appeal if you ask me.

jecht35

Jul 2, 2011
Yahtzee made me laugh a lot this episode, right when he started defending his review I knew he was gonna cause a shit storm in the comments. The only thing I don't get is he hardly talked about anything else besides the controles. Anyways great game, that has awesome music, fun multiplayer, chevos for those that like that type of stuff and an actual story that besides all the cheesy dialoge can get really sad at times, especial one part with them angel wings.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Medusa is literally the LAST person you would want to fap to.

Seriously, think about it.
Come on, man. Just one longing look from those perfect eyes of hers could make anyone rock hard.

Skulltaker101

Jul 20, 2010
Damn, Zero Punctuation is my favourite weekly ritual. Of course, since I do not own a DS, this may make it quite difficult for me to play Kid Icarus at all.

And as for "Go look up if there were angels in Greek mythology"...yes, yes there were. There were servants of Athena called Furies from whom the Christian church nicked the image...winged bright beings, but in the case of the Furies, they were more vengeful and murderous than they were anything else.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Skulltaker101 said:
Damn, Zero Punctuation is my favourite weekly ritual. Of course, since I do not own a DS, this may make it quite difficult for me to play Kid Icarus at all.

And as for "Go look up if there were angels in Greek mythology"...yes, yes there were. There were servants of Athena called Furies from whom the Christian church nicked the image...winged bright beings, but in the case of the Furies, they were more vengeful and murderous than they were anything else.
...Really?

Holy-

Pit's patron deity, Palutena, is an Athena analogue!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
CM156 said:
Iampringles said:

Anyhows: If I do purchase a 3DS in the future, I doubt this will be one of the games I get
I truly hope your conclusion wasn't based on Yahtzee's "review" at all, because a lot of his rant was just uselessly bitching about a piece of plastic that nobody uses.

Then again, why give a legitimate review when you can nitpick and stretch tiny ass facts so they can pad the length of your video? I'd sure love a job where I can basically rant and lie through my teeth, yet remain inexplicably popular despite it.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
CM156 said:
Iampringles said:

I truly hope your conclusion wasn't based on Yahtzee's "review" at all, because a lot of his rant was just uselessly bitching about a piece of plastic that nobody uses.

Then again, why give a legitimate review when you can nitpick and stretch tiny ass facts so they can pad the length of your video? I'd sure love a job where I can basically rant and lie through my teeth, yet remain inexplicably popular despite it.
It wasn't. I actually played it on a friend's 3DS

Annnnnd I didn't enjoy it. At all. So that's why.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Ugh, this was his worst review in a long time. I know he's described himself as a "QA man" and that whatever he doesn't mention is alright, but he's also been quick to point out what a game does good if it is indeed good. This was nothing but mindless complaining and sheer misinformation the whole way through.

All I saw here was him bashing minor things, most of which were subjective complaints or could be fixed with a quick trip to the options menu, and not even touching the actual game itself. That's the second half of the review. His first half was the usual baseless bashing of Nintendo despite how much he's tries to claim that no, he totally doesn't hate them for no reason other than to pander to his poser-cynical fanbase.

If he indeed liked the game through all the stuff he didn't mention, he certainly didn't give off that impression considering he usually has even a little bit of praise for other games he likes. Plus that "s#$! game for t%&@s" remark isn't very reassuring either. If there's one Nintendo game I thought he'd like, it'd be this one, because it's a franchise they haven't touched in years, has plenty of humor and actually-decent voice acting and characterization (such that avoids the problems he said Other M had), merges story and gameplay together the way he likes, doesn't take itself overly seriously, has a genuinely great story with actual twists throughout, legitimately uses 3D as an essential part of the game instead of as a gimmick (you can't complain it looks cluttered when you deliberately refuse to turn 3D on despite any possible benefits), has customization out the yin-yang, and completely reinvents and advances its series...

But no, it's a Nintendo game so all of that is thrown right out the window and then all he does is parrot popular troll complaints the entire review once he finishes his anti-Nintendo bitching and then has the gall to call this game another rehash, but "a rehash with restraint" because it's been over TWO DECADES since the last one and that Nintendo only revived the franchise because they were scraping the bottom of the barrel and it wasn't because of - oh, I dunno - fan demand or the fact that it was a good fit for the system? I guarantee you that if this were released on any other platform he'd be making love to the goddamn case that it came in.

I accepted the Brawl, NSMBWii, Galaxy 2, Skyward Sword, Other M, 3D Land, Sonic Generations, and Conduit reviews because I can totally dig someone not liking the same things I do - I mean, for example, I completely understand his reasoning for saying Portal 2 was a shoddy game compared to the original even though I absolutely disagree. Hell, I sat through his pretentious Brawl reply-bashing video because he was funny and those replies were indeed pathetic. I even stomached that travesty of a Madworld review where he makes an absolute tool of himself spending the entire review bitching and moaning about nothing just because it was a Wii game and I don't even like Madworld! And let's not forget that I usually believe that Yahtzee is dead-on in what makes a game good and that I thought Poacher kicked ass.

But honestly, this review is what dropped my respect for Yahtzee a couple of notches because he wasn't clearly even trying to like the game and blatantly ignores all the things this game does that he said games should do just so that he can keep pushing some @#$!ing vendetta.

I'm calling you out, Benjamin. This was nothing but you pandering to your reputation and going against your own words in order to do it.

Anoni Mus said:
Metroid Prime M
It's called Metroid: Other M. It's a separate game from the Metroid Prime series.

Proverbial Jon said:
OT: I was going to base my purchase of this game on this review. Conclusion? Well I don't think I'll bother! ^_^
CM156 said:
For the love of God, please don't base your purchase decisions on this review alone. This has got to be one of the most inaccurate reviews he's ever done.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
CM156 said:
It wasn't. I actually played it on a friend's 3DS

Annnnnd I didn't enjoy it. At all. So that's why.
Good.
That's the best sort of reasoning to make purchasing decisions on.

I'm all for more educated consumers.

At the same time, it's saddening that quite a few people (a couple of my friends included) actually treat Yahtzee's "reviews" as credible sources of information for, well, anything.
Especially the purposes of making buying decisions.

He's a talented wordsmith; but he hasn't done a legitimate "review" since 2010.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Meh, This wasn't really funny, even when i'm a massive nintendo hater.
For one thing Kid icarus was trying to be something else and for a company like Nintendo that's...quite alright i guess...it's enough for me to get me interested.
Although pit's boyish thighs might have helped mellow me out.

Kirbys

Sep 15, 2011
CXZ_inc0g said:
Have you played any chapter on the most intense mode? It's like really spraining your hand.

skylog

Nov 9, 2009
I generally play the game lying on my side, propped up on my elbow. So aside from my hand falling asleep, I've no real qualms with the controls. My hand falls asleep even when I lie on my back playing a normal game, so I'm pretty much used to it.

Regarding the dialogue, I like how it gives you all the story and characterization without interrupting the game. It's reminiscent of Sands of Time.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Kirbys said:
CXZ_inc0g said:
Have you played any chapter on the most intense mode? It's like really spraining your hand.
I've completed about a dozen chapters on 9.0 with that sort of setup.

Granted, not while walking. Intensities that, er, intense require my full attention.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
*looks around*

Dang; did everyone here just drop 20 IQ points when I was gone? Calm down guys. Yahtzee once said that if you like a game or is interested in one, then no amount of criticism should deter that fondness. Ergo he's saying to ALWAYS take his "reviews" with a boulder of salt!

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Lordofthesuplex said:
problem 2. Wow. Way to over-exaggerate the controls there. I rarely get cramps from the game.
That must be the worst defence of a game I've ever heard. I've never got cramps from playing a videogame, its not like running a triathlon. If a viddeogame gives you cramps then the designer hasn't tested the hardware or interface properly.

If the controls are shit it is a major blow for any game and enough for me not to play it.

The review was entertaining as ever.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Well to be fair, Kid Icarus isn't the only Nintendo franchise where the name that appears in the title isn't actually the name of the main character.

Case in point: The Legend Of Zelda.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
bjj hero said:
Lordofthesuplex said:
problem 2. Wow. Way to over-exaggerate the controls there. I rarely get cramps from the game.
That must be the worst defence of a game I've ever heard. I've never got cramps from playing a videogame, its not like running a triathlon. If a viddeogame gives you cramps then the designer hasn't tested the hardware or interface properly.

If the controls are shit it is a major blow for any game and enough for me not to play it.

The review was entertaining as ever.
The default controls might be bad (I don't agree that they are, personally), but they're completely customizable, so if the default doesn't sit with you, you can change them to whatever does suit you, which, in my opinion, makes opinions about the controls less damning.

brazmanoqk

Feb 25, 2009
A bleak expectations reference? Holy Twatting Shit. If I didn't respect you enough before I do now I know you listen to radio 4. Huh, that's the first sliver of interest I've had in this game, I want to hear his voice to see if it matches; I'm sure it'll pass.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
major_chaos said:
Anoni Mus said:
Except for the fact that he doesn't hate Metroid prime he hates Other M and IMO anyone who has any level of taste hated Other M. He also doesn't hate Zelda he hated skyward sword, from passing mentions he seems rather fond of Wind Waker. On top of that he spent the first minute or so of the review talking about how he liked the GameCube and the original DS, but no because he had the nerve to not like a game you enjoyed it is so very obvious that he is biased.

OT: most funny ZP in recent memory, but I already knew I wasn't going to be buying this game and it was only half because of the controls, the other big reason was that based on the clips in the Game Trailers review the voice acting is terrible and the "humor", if you can even call it that made me want to punch my screen.
Ok, he hates Nintendo as of now, Wii and 3DS.

It's not because he doesn't like Kid Icarus, it's because what he says is stupid, incomplete and even false! Yes, it's obvious he's biased, did you watch SSBB review?
It's other M, sorry for the mistake. And it's interesting he likes WindWaker because it's one of the worse Zelda's for home consoles.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Enlong said:
The default controls might be bad (I don't agree that they are, personally), but they're completely customizable, so if the default doesn't sit with you, you can change them to whatever does suit you, which, in my opinion, makes opinions about the controls less damning.
There are a lot of people on here, even those who say they enjoy the game, who think the controls are bad. The stand thing seems to suggest they knew the controls would be awkward, otherwise they'd have saved their money and not included it.

Customisation is great and I'm all for it, but standard controls shouldnt seem awkward to a large percentage of your audience and they should definately not result in cramps or spasms.

Fans will buy your game at launch, some people will get the game as a gift with no input. Great.

Others will play their friends or the shop version and bad standard controls will cost sales for this group.

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
Yahtzee why do you try to reason with the nintendo fanboys they are always gonna hate you unless your kissing nintendo's ass and begging for more.
You should just start doing what they think you do which is hate every nintendo game because its on a product that has the word's nintendo on it.

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
Spenstar said:
Bleh. I guess it was funny, but I have not disagreed with you so much on a game review since Smash Bros Brawl. I'll start out with the good points. Your disclaimer about being unbiased was actually backed up with examples of what you like(d) about Nintendo. You liked the Gamecube and the DS? Cool, you don't like the direction Nintendo is going, that's all. So, Yahtzee, if you really liked the Gamecube and DS, you should have told us before this. Just sayin' With that in mind...

You're joking right? I mean...seriously? Go and watch almost ANY of his 3-DS/Wii game reviews. He basically calls them pieces of shit EVERY time. And is it REALLY that bad that he wants more out of his games than a cartoony adventure with standard controls that don't require them to be messed with? Out of the dozens of games I own, I changed the default controls on one of them. When they include a stand with the game to make it "user friendly" with the default controls, doesn't that scream that they knew the default controls were ass or at least less than optimal but didn't change them for some reason?

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
erttheking said:
It's less people think that you're biased against nintendo and more that they think that you're biased against the Wii because you never pass down an opportunity to rag on it and now that I think about it you've taken a lot of pot shots at the 3DS too. I know that you're not biased but really you can only come back to the same thing with the same complaints and so many times before people start to think that you have a bone to pick.
I get what you're saying, but I have a rebuttal anyway.

If the issues continue to exist and the company continues to make games that highlight the existing problems that he feels the systems have(3D with the DS, accurate motion tracking with the Wii) then its still a justifiable beef. Personally I have the same issues with both systems and I never tire of ripping on the systems. But you could be right I suppose, that could be a type of bias?

Powerman88

Dec 24, 2008
Man I was having a bad day and then I come home to thinking "man I wonder what game Yahtzee reviewed today..... a Nintendo game!!! w00000000t!!!!"

Always fun to hear someone tell it like it is about Nintendo. I DID grow up with Nintendo and I remember when they were about innovation, not milking franchises. Last good game from Nintendo was Pikmin. /trolling

Spenstar

Jul 23, 2011
crazyarms33 said:
Spenstar said:

You're joking right? I mean...seriously? Go and watch almost ANY of his 3-DS/Wii game reviews. He basically calls them pieces of shit EVERY time. And is it REALLY that bad that he wants more out of his games than a cartoony adventure with standard controls that don't require them to be messed with? Out of the dozens of games I own, I changed the default controls on one of them. When they include a stand with the game to make it "user friendly" with the default controls, doesn't that scream that they knew the default controls were ass or at least less than optimal but didn't change them for some reason?
Well, he liked Mario Galaxy and the Mario RPGs, that counts for something, and in this review he said he really liked the Gamecube and the DS. And games come in all forms, cartoony adventure being one of them. I disagree with Yahtzee because I liked Uprising a lot. And if you read the rest of my post, you'd know that I mentioned the custom controls in a negative way because the stylus is the best way to aim and the face buttons and d-pad are crap. As for the stand, yes the idea of it is jarring but it's not as bad as everyone thinks it is. It's lightweight and I have held the stand with my hand and had the game on it, effectively making it portable.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
CopperBoom said:
I really enjoyed this game despite the pain caused by the controls.
I am not a Nintendo sheep or twat but I liked the gameplay and voice acting.
NOT BIASED!

Also, in case it matters, YES WHEDON FAN!
I caught that Buffy bit.
Do you require the stand to play it properly or does it just make the game slightly less awkward to play?

Was never a big fan of the gamecube controller.

I always found the Gamecube controller slightly awkward to use. I know, it sounds strange but I played A LOT of games for the snes, PS1 and PS2 before getting a gamecube so my natural thumb position was resting in the middle of the four buttons and I roll my thumb toward the button I'm going to use. The gamecube controller just doesn't really mesh well with that method of playing and I didn't like the position of the x and y buttons, I understand why they were positioned there but again, it didn't work very naturally to me. The L and R buttons also felt doughy... if that makes sense, wasn't that big of an issue until I played Paper Mario: the Thousand Year Door, where mashing the R button was required. I did get used to it but it never feels as natural as the controllers that followed the snes's button layout.

Most of my friends naturally hold a controller with their thumb in what I call a 'hook' position, they all love the gamecube controller.

admiraljustin

Mar 18, 2009
Good game design has easy controls that are intuitive.

Bad game design has hard controls that are bad enough they felt the need to include additional hardware to make it easier.

Sure, it works for some people, but that's the main reason you have configurable controls, so that people who tend towards the odder configurations (perhaps a disability or other limitation can be a factor, as well) are able to play. Having configurable controls does not excuse having horrible default controls. In general you want to design an interface that one can pick up, use, and put down without much effort.

Kermi

Nov 7, 2007
Lordofthesuplex said:

Problems:

1. Without the 3D it's basically just a DS with better graphics. If you're reviewing a game with 3D and the 3D sucks (which is the case in MOST 3DS games), what else are you going to say about the console? "Case looks nice. Buttons are familiar..."

2. I haven't used a 3DS for any length of time myself but if he says he doesn't like the controls, who are you to argue? If they legitimately gave him hand cramps, again, who are you to argue? That's like people saying the 3D gives them headaches or eye strain and people saying "err, no it doesn't!". It's a personal experience remark, you can not dispute it.

3. There's a difference between games with a lot of fun/good content and games with repetitive or grindy bullshit that overstays their welcome.

4. What you said here was "I experienced this problem but you are wrong for mentioning it." Might want to rethink that.

TheFriskySpatula

Aug 14, 2011
I actually liked the controls for uprising, they were... different, but once you got used to them you're fine. Didn't notice any pain or soreness either, guess that's just me though.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Lordofthesuplex said:
I don't have this problem in all but 3 levels.
So you did have this problem for three levels then?

nothing more than trivial ***** fitting and/or bullcrap, Yahtzee.
Whooo. Projecting much?

Spenstar

Jul 23, 2011
I didn't have that problem at all, I really don't get why it would be an issue to someone, actually...

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
SatansBestBuddy said:

I'm just gonna assume that everything he didn't bring up in the review is good, because that leaves about 95% of the game. He didn't touch on the story outside of the outline you get in mission fucking one. He didn't remark on the bosses at all. He didn't say anything about weapon variety or enemy design or level design or fucking ANYTHING about the game design outside of shitting on the controls, which he also didn't mention are highly customizable to the point where you can remove the stylus completely. And what, exactly, annoyed him about the dialogue again? I think he called it "self-referencing" but I'm not sure what he means by that. Referencing the one game they had 25 years ago? They stop that after mission 10. Hell, the first 10 missions are basically a remake of that game anyway, and they're never annoying about it. Most of my favourite jokes in the game are when the gods make fun of Pit, which is all the time and all of them do it.

I'm wondering where he gets the retro feeling from. This is the most baffling comment he made, really. After Skyward Sword and Mario 3D Land this game feels a full decade ahead of the rest of Nintendo's offerings. It's easily the most contemporary feeling game Nintendo's made since the GC was in it's prime. This feels like a game from 2012. But I guess because it showed an 8-bit sprite at one point and uses chiptune music for some enemies it's a "retro" game.
I usually don't get into arguments over games I haven't played, but he did actually mention the bosses and the level design.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Kid Icarus: Uprising is currently my favorite game of the year.

The controls take awhile to get into, but once you get past the learning curve and you get into the groove, they work just fine. I only wish they supported the CPP more.

And it's crazy that if you'd ask me whether I was going to enjoy Kid Icarus or Mass Effect 3 more, I'd have laughed and told you it wasn't going to be a contest. And yet, nope, Kid Icarus is insanely addicting, insanely good, insanely charming, insanely fun, insanely deep, and insanely satisfying, while Mass Effect 3's finale was the complete opposite of "satisfying".

Of course, that's my personal opinion... but also not one that I would have believed myself if I had time-traveled back three months and told myself this.

Miroku2235

Apr 6, 2006
I'd love to watch this review/critique and toss in my two cents, but that stupid ad for that stupider show, Space Janitors, is causing it to bug or something and just give me a black box.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Lordofthesuplex said:
trollpwner said:
Lordofthesuplex said:
getoffmycloud said:

Back in my day you had to be ab elitist prick to be called an elitist prick, now we have people using it more then Rush Limbaugh talking about liberal politicians...

While you may have no problem with the controls, or even fiddling with controls, other people may. This is why reviews are very personal things, and why certain things that irk a person may mean they just won't enjoy Nintendo games since they will do it again and again.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Anoni Mus said:
major_chaos said:
Anoni Mus said:

It's not because he doesn't like Kid Icarus, it's because what he says is stupid, incomplete and even false! Yes, it's obvious he's biased, did you watch SSBB review?
It's other M, sorry for the mistake. And it's interesting he likes WindWaker because it's one of the worse Zelda's for home consoles.
yes I did, in fact I went back and watched it again to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything, and I didn't see anything terribly biased,yes he didn't like it but he didn't hate it anymore than most games, and I thought most of his complaints were accurate.

from where I'm standing he has every reason to: the 3DS is a mediocre hardware upgrade to the DS that brings exactly one new thing to the table and it is a terrible pointless gimmick that is not that visually impressive (IMO) and adds nothing to the game, and the Wii was built entirely around a gimmick that (again IMO) provides nothing a controller can't except massive amounts of frustration and also suffers from a minuscule library of worthwhile games, and I say all this as someone who is far from biased against Nintendo, I still have fond memories of the SNES and N64, and its not just nostalgia I still play my SNES and N64 on occasion, and Metroid (except Other M, fuck that POS) is one of my favorite franchises of all time. The point of this overlong rant is simply that I don't think Yahtzee hates Nintendo specifically, its just that Nintendo hasn't put out much good product since they realized that there was fat stacks of cash money to be had by being the first big name in the casual market which drew in a a large number of people with low standards and at the same time alienated people with very high standards, and the standards don't come much higher than Yahtzee.

Capcha: "broken record" great, even the anti-spam features are trying to tell me to shut up...

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
About the only bare fact(ish thing) I have to disagree with is Yhatzee's idea that firing should have been handled by tapping on the stylus. It wouldn't have helped a damn thing, and arguably could've made it control worse.

There is a good way to fix the controls, and it's odd that they didn't think of it: If you gotta add a peripheral, it should've been the left-handed thumbstick. Considering they included compatability with it for left-handed play, it seems odd they didn't think to let you use it for aiming too.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Really, the controls for Uprising aren't that bad. I found them awkward at first, but was able to adapt fairly quickly. I've also never used the peripheral. It's 100% optional.

Other than that, same ol' Yahtzee hyperbolism.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
EcoEclipse said:
Really, the controls for Uprising aren't that bad. I found them awkward at first, but was able to adapt fairly quickly. I've also never used the peripheral. It's 100% optional.

Other than that, same ol' Yahtzee hyperbolism.
I wouldn't say that. Read most reviews of this game, good or bad, and you usually find the same theme: People who scored it low usually did because of the controls, people who scored it high either had no problems with the controls, or were able to overlook them.

CTYR

Mar 25, 2012
Kirbys said:
CXZ_inc0g said:
Yeah, I've completed several.
Why?

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
dennett316 said:
Pointless periperal...how about instead of making a stupid stand, just make the controls workable. Come on Nintendo, you're (sometimes) better than this.
Are the controls REALLY so bad, though? I played the entirety of Metroid Prime: Hunters and both Zelda games on DS without a stupid stand and my hands could go hours without a break. Both had the same "terrible" control scheme generally requiring you to hold the system with your left hand, press L and directional controls a lot, and manipulate the screen with the stylus. I never saw these complaints leveraged against any of those games.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
It really blows my mind that game companies make such damn obvious mistakes with controls. It really does. How could anyone design such a set-up and then get through playtesting with it and nobody realizes its obvious problems?

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Maybe the playtesters didn't have problems with it. Hell, I'm 100 hours in, and only like 3 of them were with the stand. I mean, yeah, it's kinda nice to use, but I only use it if I'm already at a table. And if I remember it exists.

T-Prime

Apr 24, 2008
Does the Escapist not realize that I'm *less* likely to watch another one of their video series if the ad for that series causes the video I *want* to watch to not play? Space Janitors could be the greatest series of all time, but because I can't watch Yahtzee rip Kid Icarus I feel nothing but animosity towards all silly full-border ads from here to eternity.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
I honestly did not mind all the in between mission micromanagement in this game and Valkyria Chronicles. I guess that seeing as how both games made the clear point that the player characters return to their base after every mission it kind of felt appropriate, you take a break from the action and choose your equipment before heading out. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it fit well with the story and it let you take a breather after every mission.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Eventidal said:
dennett316 said:
Are the controls REALLY so bad, though? I played the entirety of Metroid Prime: Hunters and both Zelda games on DS without a stupid stand and my hands could go hours without a break. Both had the same "terrible" control scheme generally requiring you to hold the system with your left hand, press L and directional controls a lot, and manipulate the screen with the stylus. I never saw these complaints leveraged against any of those games.
I kinda feel the same, I found that after finding a comfortable way of holding the console (in my case with my left pinkie hooked under the DS and the right one over the right shoulder button) I could play the games for hours without pain. I'm guessing that hand size might factor into this though.

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
This video is going into the TVTropes DMoS pages within the week.
I expected him to hate on Kid Icarus's controls for the entirety of the video. I did not expect him to compare it to Hunted: The Demon's Forge.
You didn't have to call it GOTY, but "a shit game for twats?" No, Yahtzee. Just no.

KafkaOffTheBeach

Nov 17, 2010
I thought he was going to dwell on the gratuitous amount of upskir-toga shots on Pit.
Or how his lovely smooth legs glisten in the sun.
Or how his wavy brown hair frames his cute face perfectly.

I think I'm going to have to lie down again.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Groucho marx.... i didnt think anyone still remmeber them. Ahh, the times when something labeled as "comedy" was actually fun.
Enlong said:
Maybe the playtesters didn't have problems with it. Hell, I'm 100 hours in, and only like 3 of them were with the stand. I mean, yeah, it's kinda nice to use, but I only use it if I'm already at a table. And if I remember it exists.
That would be the final proof that nintendo is completely taken over by aliens dedicated to destroying this world by making money on bad games.

C14N

May 28, 2008
I'm shocked to hear Yahtzee call a Zelda game (Wind Waker) "genuinely enjoyable". Even more so because it was my favourite in the series. Then he went and called the controller for the Gamecube "the best designed of the generation" and I lit up with glee because I have spent ages trying to convince people that that is true.

Also regarding all the complaints about the controls being from "bad design" and "lazy developers" and dealing with the problem by saying "why should I pay money if the default controls aren't right?", it really seems like a ridiculously whiney reason to complain about the game. It's like not buying the latest AAA FPS because the devs made the aiming inverted by default or not buying a HTC phone because you don't like the standard ringtone that comes with it or refusing to eat dinner because the potato is touching the broccoli.

I rarely find a game where I DON'T end up changing the settings in some way. Heck, I even go to the audio settings every time I put in a Blu-ray to make sure its set to HD sound. Different people will like different controls. Obviously from the dev's playtesting experience, whatever they went with seemed the most popular but they provided a bunch of options for people who did not like it. Seems like a fair deal to me.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Shit for twats! That's not really fair, but I guess it gets really annoying after awhile because nearly all entertainment today is so poor in quality, it's hard to imagine they could be any worse. As well as the many people that are content with the same shit over and over and don't mind getting ripped off.

Nintendo have been terrible for so long now, I can't even call them professionals any more.

Don't ever lower those standards.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
major_chaos said:
from where I'm standing he has every reason to: the 3DS is a mediocre hardware upgrade to the DS that brings exactly one new thing to the table and it is a terrible pointless gimmick...
The hardware upgrade is more than mediocre; it's actually quite substantial. Granted, it isn't nearly as big of a leap as the Vita (whose hardware is very good, but it basically requires you to throw all consumer rights away and become Sony's *****) but it is very good for what a handheld needs to do.

The root of the problem, as always, comes back to Nintendo's lack of quality titles that aren't first-party or ports hindered in part (as evidenced here) by substandard controls for what the market wants. Who wants to develop 3D games (the style, not the gimmick) for a system that doesn't have the basic controls to support it?
Not every game can rip off Star Fox.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Yeah, the hardware upgrade is pretty huge. You couldn't have gotten MGS3 on the original DS.

Or, to make a more directly comparable... comparison, take a look at Kingdom Hearts re:coded compared to Kingdom Hearts 3D. It's a pretty major leap, even if you don't do anything but token 3D.

Personally, after the hype of 3D wore off, I was far more excited by the possibilities presented by the improved hardware capabilities.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
I want to defend this game, but I feel like it's a losing battle. Yes, the controls are ass. Though you can change them, they're still ass. Best I came up with is using the ABXY buttons to move the reticle. The humor is admittedly childish as hell and some of the nods to other games made me cringe, like the Metroid one for example. Also, I'm pretty sure there's a dick joke in the second level or maybe I'm just going nuts(har har). One thing I will defend is that the game looks and sounds fantastic and the weapon system is wonderfully complex. Not too easy, but not too difficult either if you know what you're doing. I guess the game has a certain charm to it, which allows me to look past some of it's flaws and appreciate it as a great game. I can see why some wouldn't like it, however. The controls are very off-putting.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
In answer to your end credits statement that you never actually want an answer for, Nemesis, the Greek Goddess of Divine Retribution (on S.T.A.R.S.) is tradtionally depicted as a woman with angelic wings.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Ddgafd said:
I want to defend this game, but I feel like it's a losing battle. Yes, the controls are ass. Though you can change them, they're still ass. Best I came up with is using the ABXY buttons to move the reticle. The humor is admittedly childish as hell and some of the nods to other games made me cringe, like the Metroid one for example. Also, I'm pretty sure there's a dick joke in the second level or maybe I'm just going nuts(har har). One thing I will defend is that the game looks and sounds fantastic and the weapon system is wonderfully complex. Not too easy, but not too difficult either if you know what you're doing. I guess the game has a certain charm to it, which allows me to look past some of it's flaws and appreciate it as a great game. I can see why some wouldn't like it, however. The controls are very off-putting.
How can you play the game with ABXY for the reticle? There's no way it controls as quickly as spinning the camera with the touch screen.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
VinLAURiA said:
Ugh, this was his worst review in a long time. I know he's described himself as a "QA man" and that whatever he doesn't mention is alright, but he's also been quick to point out what a game does good if it is indeed good. This was nothing but mindless complaining and sheer misinformation the whole way through.

All I saw here was him bashing minor things, most of which were subjective complaints or could be fixed with a quick trip to the options menu, and not even touching the actual game itself. That's the second half of the review. His first half was the usual baseless bashing of Nintendo despite how much he's tries to claim that no, he totally doesn't hate them for no reason other than to pander to his poser-cynical fanbase.
I love counter hipsters. It is so cute. He doesn't like most nintendo games? Well obviously he hates them and hates them to look cool.

How the hell are you going to objectively complain about a game?

If he indeed liked the game through all the stuff he didn't mention, he certainly didn't give off that impression considering he usually has even a little bit of praise for other games he likes. Plus that "s#$! game for t%&@s" remark isn't very reassuring either.
Yes, if he liked it, which he made pretty clear that he didn't.
If there's one Nintendo game I thought he'd like, it'd be this one, because it's a franchise they haven't touched in years, has plenty of humor and actually-decent voice acting and characterization (such that avoids the problems he said Other M had),
Whether humor, voice acting, or characterization is good is probably the absolute most subjective thing about any story.
legitimately uses 3D as an essential part of the game instead of as a gimmick (you can't complain it looks cluttered when you deliberately refuse to turn 3D on despite any possible benefits), has customization out the yin-yang, and completely reinvents and advances its series...
What it does to the series is irrelevent. There's a thin line between customization and needless clutter.
But no, it's a Nintendo game so all of that is thrown right out the window and then all he does is parrot popular troll complaints the entire review once he finishes his anti-Nintendo bitching
No, stop blaming his review on anti nintendo bias. That is fucking bullshit and the insistence on it just makes you look like a fanboy.
and then has the gall to call this game another rehash, but "a rehash with restraint" because it's been over TWO DECADES since the last one and that Nintendo only revived the franchise because they were scraping the bottom of the barrel and it wasn't because of - oh, I dunno - fan demand or the fact that it was a good fit for the system? I guarantee you that if this were released on any other platform he'd be making love to the goddamn case that it came in.
Because you're hanging out in his brain and could totally tell
I even stomached that travesty of a Madworld review where he makes an absolute tool of himself spending the entire review bitching and moaning about nothing just because it was a Wii game and I don't even like Madworld!
Quite frankly any wii game is inherintly linked to any criticisms about the wii's controls as the wii creates an integral change in any game that uses it (unless the game works with a classic controller and you're using that). If you're going to make all games on your console control in some new and weird way than you're making it so people have to judge all your games with the controller as part of them. If the console makes a game shit than a review of said game should include, if not even focus on, criticisms of the console. I don't care how good your game is if the only way to play it is by sticking a needle up your ass.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
CM156 said:
Personally I preferred...

Oh, and I was going to cross swords with the fanboys, but there's too many of them! Flee! We can't repel false logic of that magnitude!

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
Oh Nintendo fanboys, a source of endless entertainment as proved by this and the SSBB thread. I'd say never change but it's not like they ever have, although that applies to fanboys of everything, not just Ninty.

And before anyone asks/acuses/presents a 10 point, page long list no I'm not White Knighting that overly loud midlands livestock chaser. I'm just amused by nerd rage over unimportant shit.

Kirbys

Sep 15, 2011
CXZ_inc0g said:
Kirbys said:
CXZ_inc0g said:
Yeah, I've completed several.
Why?
Kirbys said:
It's like really spraining your hand.
^ I love when someone clearly didn't read what I just typed...

I guess it's an age thing because several times that game give me hand cramps.

Kirbys

Sep 15, 2011
mike1921 said:
VinLAURiA said:
But no, it's a Nintendo game so all of that is thrown right out the window and then all he does is parrot popular troll complaints the entire review once he finishes his anti-Nintendo bitching
No, stop blaming his review on anti nintendo bias. That is fucking bullshit and the insistence on it just makes you look like a fanboy.
I'm sorry but doesn't this make you a fanboy of Yahtzee by trying to counter his argument?

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Kirbys said:
mike1921 said:
VinLAURiA said:
I'm sorry but doesn't this make you a fanboy of Yahtzee by trying to counter his argument?
If you disagree and say anything about it you're a fanboy? What sort of logic is that? Kirby seemed like a fanboy because he's insisting that if someone doesn't like the game he's biased. And I didn't even say it makes him a fanboy, I said it makes him look like one

NEHZ

Feb 24, 2010
About the 3D: it really matters in this game. Especially in the air levels it allows you to see how far the enemies are regardless of any misleading shape or size. If you have trouble playing the game because 'the effects are distracting' it's really more likely because you aren't playing it in 3D. (which means this game is more difficult if you can't see 3D)

I liked the control scheme. Using tapping for shooting would have been a disadvantage because you'd have to take your stylus off which will make you less accurate.
But I have to agree with the dodging of the ledge. I don't think there's anyone who hasn't encountered that problem.

I'm enjoying this game a lot, but the ZP was fun regardless. (as it useally is when I can't agree with it)

Spenstar

Jul 23, 2011
You guys DO know that writing off everyone you disagree with as a "fanboy" and assuming that fanboys are incapable of logic is fallacious in and of itself, right? There are going to be people who enjoyed this game and people who didn't. For me, this is my favorite game of this year thus far and is the definitive 3DS title up to this point. Again, that's just me. Someone who enjoyed the game as much as I did might not grasp why others didn't like it, and vice-versa, so there are arguments. But the cries of "fanboy!" and other ad hominem attacks just aren't cool.

Also, of those that enjoyed the game or even played it in general, many would dislike Yahtzee's video for being structured to say only negative things about the game by ignoring or just barely mentioning its best points. It frustrates me so when he reviews a game I played and what he describes does not represent the game as a whole. So that's why the "fanboys" are crying foul. Just giving some perspective.

Reid Humphreys

Mar 16, 2012
Am I the only one who seriously didn't mind the controls and absolutely loved the game? I didn't need the stupid stand and pretty much played it anywhere I went.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
Yahtzee makes me want to buy this game just to understand this function of the celestial tittie bar.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
Granted, I haven't gotten the game, but the way people describe it doesn't make it sound bad to me. I had to hold the left analog, the left shoulder button, and use my right thumb for the other buttons for both Mario Kart and Zelda OoT for the 3ds and never had a problem. (Granted, if I had to press the touch screen while fighting with any quickness in Zelda it was a right ass to do. And I always used my thumbs, not the stylus.)

I'm kind of crushed by this review because I really wanted to get this game to help validate my 3DS' existence. I only have 3 games thusfar, and I've beaten all of them. :|

On the other hand, I haven't tried No More Heroes yet, soo....

Guilherme Zoldan

Jun 20, 2011
DJ_DEnM said:
Yahtzee makes me want to buy this game just to understand this function of the celestial tittie bar.
Im kinda suprised nintendo let that through...I mean they are japanese but theyre usualy very kid-friendly even for western standards.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
mike1921 said:
If you disagree and say anything about it you're a fanboy? What sort of logic is that?
It's Yahtzee's logic.
He's done the same thing before with his Smash Bros Mailbag video.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
The Nintendo fanboys en mass here, I see. You can always pick them out--they're the ones fighting tooth and nail to justify obviously broken mechanics, as if not doing so would cause their deity to commit suicide. Would admitting something is dumb be all that hard? Come now.

"Controls do suck, yeah. You can change them, but it's a shame you even have to. I still really enjoyed the game on a whole." - Not a fanboy/girl

"The controls are fine. You're just bad. Why not go into the menu and set them all yourself? Game is awesome." Fanboy.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Spenstar said:
Also, of those that enjoyed the game or even played it in general, many would dislike Yahtzee's video for being structured to say only negative things about the game by ignoring or just barely mentioning its best points.
Let me remind you of something:

[HEADING=1]He's a critic; It's his job to be critical and to critique video games.[/HEADING]

No once has he ever said he is offering a balanced opinion. You know why? He's offering his opinion and his opinions is that the game is shit. This isn't a news report and he doesn't care that some people like it.

I happen to think eating poo is bad. Some people think it is the sexiest thing on Earth. If I were to make a video critique of eating poo, I would say bad things about it. Why? Because I don't fucking like it.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
RJ Dalton said:
It really blows my mind that game companies make such damn obvious mistakes with controls. It really does. How could anyone design such a set-up and then get through playtesting with it and nobody realizes its obvious problems?
I imagine it went something like this:

Head of Testing: "How did it go?"

Tester 1: "Well, the controls are horrible and playing the game anywhere without a flat surface and standing still was actually painful."

Tester 2: "I agree. My hand cramped up so bad I couldn't physically play it for more than about thirty minutes at a time."

Head of Testing: "You don't say..."

Tester 1: "Yeah. I think if we were to make-"

Head of Testing: "A large stand that sits on a table, freeing up both hands to use the controls! Brilliant idea!" *runs out of room*

Tester 1: "... some minor changes to the controls..."

Tester 2: "I hate this place."

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
DanHibiki said:
SatansBestBuddy said:
that part is historically accurate... or rather accurate according to the history channel.
I'm not saying aliens invaded ancient Greece, but...

fenrirvii

Dec 16, 2009
ok first of all, it's really hard to make the argument that the controls are so bad when we already SAW the same type of controls being used in Metroid Prime: Hunters and the Zelda games on the DS... It's the SAME HAND POSITION! Why KI:U is the first game to really get bashed for these controls makes no sense.
The controls are slightly different because it's a 3rd person shooter, so you swipe the touch screen to rotate the camera, but the swiping mechanics have the best customization options in the game..

Maybe the game is getting all the control heat by including the stand with the game? I see a lot of people saying "Nintendo is saying I HAVE to use the stand...", including Yahtzee... This is simply not true. The stand ONLY serves to help you see the 3D, if you wish, while playing. Personally, I played the game in 2D, and never used the stand, and I was fine with it. And I kind of appreciated the free stand that makes watching Netflix or drawing anything exponentially easier.

For all the people on the fence, the controls are fine. You get used to them in ~10 minutes and have a seriously enjoyable game

SEXTON HALE

Apr 12, 2012
You're back! This one was just like you're older ones.
Cruel and hilarious in equal amounts.
Very good review!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Grey Day for Elcia said:
[HEADING=1]He's a critic; It's his job to be critical and to critique video games.[/HEADING]
*chuckles*
Which is why he immediately begins with an ad-hominem against the game's audience, and not just the game itself. "A shitty game for twats".

Let me break this shit down for you:

+Simply disagreeing with his opinion? "Not fanboyism."
It's perfectly rational to give reasons why as long as you aren't acting like a tool. (see next point)

+Getting pissed off just because someone doesn't like a game that you do?
Insecure and childish. "Fanboy."

+When the critic tells you that you're inferior/stupid/etc solely because you like something they don't?
That isn't a review, it's just trolling.

Spenstar

Jul 23, 2011
Grey Day for Elcia said:
The Nintendo fanboys en mass here, I see. You can always pick them out--they're the ones fighting tooth and nail to justify obviously broken mechanics, as if not doing so would cause their deity to commit suicide. Would admitting something is dumb be all that hard? Come now.

"Controls do suck, yeah. You can change them, but it's a shame you even have to. I still really enjoyed the game on a whole." - Not a fanboy/girl

"The controls are fine. You're just bad. Why not go into the menu and set them all yourself? Game is awesome." Fanboy.
So saying the controls are fine makes you a fanboy?

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
*chuckles*
Which is why he immediately begins with an ad-hominem against the game's audience, and not just the game itself. "A shitty game for twats".

It's perfectly rational to give reasons why as long as you aren't acting like a tool. (see next point)

+When the critic tells you that you're inferior/stupid/etc solely because you like something they don't?
You're failing to acknowledge that it's also trying to be funny by being mean

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Grey Day for Elcia said:
RJ Dalton said:
I imagine it went something like this:

Head of Testing: "How did it go?"

Tester 1: "Well, the controls are horrible and playing the game anywhere without a flat surface and standing still was actually painful."

Tester 2: "I agree. My hand cramped up so bad I couldn't physically play it for more than about thirty minutes at a time."

Head of Testing: "You don't say..."

Tester 1: "Yeah. I think if we were to make-"

Head of Testing: "A large stand that sits on a table, freeing up both hands to use the controls! Brilliant idea!" *runs out of room*

Tester 1: "... some minor changes to the controls..."

Tester 2: "I hate this place."
I'd like to know: how have your experiences with the controls been?

I really am fascinated, because I have no idea how someone could hold the system such that their hand actually cramps up. Especially after only thirty minutes.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
mike1921 said:
And you're failing to acknowledge how this is directly counter-productive to being a game critic; which was the original argument you're trying to defend.

I already know that Yahtzee isn't really a game critic in practice anymore; he's more like the host of a celebrity roast.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
mike1921 said:
And you're failing to acknowledge how this is directly counter-productive to being a game critic; which was the original argument you're trying to defend.

I already know that Yahtzee isn't really a game critic in practice anymore; he's more like the host of a celebrity roast.
Than how about you explain it because I see no reason they would be mutually exclusive

Skweebl

Oct 10, 2008
Normally I take Yahtzee reviews with a grain of salt (particularly Nintendo ones), but he makes a lot of valid points here in between the Nintendo-bashing. As an adult male with manly-sized hands, holding the console in the necessary position causes cramping after less than an hour. I'm also like Yahtzee in that I prefer sitting on the couch or bed while playing my handhelds, not that the stand makes a damn bit of a difference (still get cramped hands). People say you get used to it, but even after seven hours I still can't adjust.

The 3D effects are amazing, but there's usually so much going onscreen at once that it's hard to see and avoid attacks, making the levels harder than they ought to be, and Pit's tendency to dash around really does cause a lot of falling into chasms.

I can't play through more than one or two missions before putting the game down, and I haven't picked it back up since two days after I bought the damn thing. It's nice for burning a few minutes here and there, but it isn't the must-have game I was hoping for. So far the only 3DS games I've bought that I don't regret are Mario Kart and 3D Land. I have a lot of loyalty for Nintendo, but lately they really have been disappointing.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
mike1921 said:
Than how about you explain it because I see no reason they would be mutually exclusive
If you're attempting to review something for the sake of being informative, why should anyone care what you say if what you say is not meant to be taken seriously?

It's like treating the Colbert Report as a source of credible information.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Skweebl said:
Normally I take Yahtzee reviews with a grain of salt (particularly Nintendo ones), but he makes a lot of valid points here in between the Nintendo-bashing. As an adult male with manly-sized hands, holding the console in the necessary position causes cramping after less than an hour. I'm also like Yahtzee in that I prefer sitting on the couch or bed while playing my handhelds, not that the stand makes a damn bit of a difference (still get cramped hands). People say you get used to it, but even after seven hours I still can't adjust.

The 3D effects are amazing, but there's usually so much going onscreen at once that it's hard to see and avoid attacks, making the levels harder than they ought to be, and Pit's tendency to dash around really does cause a lot of falling into chasms.

I can't play through more than one or two missions before putting the game down, and I haven't picked it back up since two days after I bought the damn thing. It's nice for burning a few minutes here and there, but it isn't the must-have game I was hoping for. So far the only 3DS games I've bought that I don't regret are Mario Kart and 3D Land. I have a lot of loyalty for Nintendo, but lately they really have been disappointing.
Here's [http://i.imgur.com/VQ3GM.jpg] a little guide that helped me, maybe it will help you. My apologies for the language/attitude therein, I didn't write it.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
mike1921 said:
If you're attempting to review something for the sake of being informative, why should anyone care what you say if what you say is not meant to be taken seriously?

It's like treating the Colbert Report as a source of credible information.
I like how it's black or white apparently. Either something is pure comedy, not meant to be taken seriously at all, or it's totally serious boring critique. Like seriously, you can't just use human judgement and tell that some lines are jokes and some aren't?

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
Grey Day for Elcia said:

And the anti-fanboys en mass here as well. You can always pick them out--they're the ones fighting supporters with flawed reasoning, as if to make themselves look better than their peers. Would understanding the concept of an opinion and different experiences be all that hard? Come now.

Sometimes the problem lies in the controls and sometimes the problem lies in how one is handling the controls. Labeling one side as a fanboy doesn't make much sense.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
mike1921 said:
I like how it's black or white apparently. Either something is pure comedy, not meant to be taken seriously at all, or it's totally serious boring critique. Like seriously, you can't just use human judgement and tell that some lines are jokes and some aren't?
I'm sorry, I get a little miffed when the Escapist forums employ their ridiculous Double Standards just to defend Yahtzee's "honor".

Counter-argue against Yahtzee's "serious points" and you get called a fanboy or someone who can't take a joke. So now which is it? Is it a joke? Or is he serious? Because any single point can't be both (different points can, I know).

The user I quoted claimed that anyone defending the controls was a fanboy, when that was a point to be contested.

You're correct: Different points don't have to be black and white, comedic and serious.

Using my own judgment for this episode, it's impossible for me to take Yahtzee seriously as a "game critic" when he glossed over virtually the entire game he's supposed to be reviewing so he can focus on making comedic hyperbole about a piece of plastic that absolutely NOBODY uses.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Madmanonfire said:
Sometimes the problem lies in the controls and sometimes the problem lies in how one is handling the controls. Labeling one side as a fanboy doesn't make much sense.
Lol. "The controls aren't the problem, see. It's your human hands that aren't working properly. Controls are fine."

I couldn't possibly care less about this game (I barely even remember it exists until someone brings it up) and I have no vested interest in Nintendo at all (besides making the best game ever, also known as Pokemon: Crystal Version, Nintendo is about as relevant to my life as the number of freckles on, say, your neighbor's mum's face) so I've got absolutely no reason to care if this game is shit or the best thing ever. As it stands, however, it's shit and the controls aren't just broken and an inane hassle, no, no, no. The controls are just plain dumb. When almost every single review on the market says "Boy, these controls sure do blow donkey penis, and this peripheral is about as great," you know you've made a massive mistake.

Also, you say anti-fanboy like it's a bad thing. Like being against blind worship of corporate brands that couldn't care less about your individual opinion or existence, despite your continued and slavish defense of their every action, is something of a negativity. I say anti-fanboy the same way I say anti-idiot or anti-racist. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, EA, Activision--whatever your brand is, I don't give one tiny drop of care. Make an idiotic decision and get called out on it. You don't have to be against something to point out how mindbogglingly stupid brand fetishes are.

If you wanna call me an anti-fanboy, I'll wear the badge right next to my heart for the whole world to see. I'll wear it with pride.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Let's put it this way. Yahtzee seems to like Nintendo a lot less than a great deal of people. In fact, why am I even here? We have so little in common I'm certain. I even said I wouldn't watch anymore after the Skyward Sword stuff. Today hasn't been a good day, and I'm doing things that I normally wouldn't do. Been a very bad day. And I've had a break from the Escapist for a week... is it?

I'm looking forward to the game, anyway. And it also addresses complains from fans about being "sick of the same characters". And "wanting new IP". Kid Icarus isn't new IP, but it certainly isn't Mario.

One of the reasons I like Nintendo is I LIKE their characters. I'm a fan of their characters. If anything, I'd like to see more of the Koopalings. Or see Goombella or Lady Bow make a return. But for those who aren't as entrenched in liking Nintendo characters as I have been since I was like 9 years old and attempting to play Mario with my legos, Kid Icarus certain gives that.

I won't doubt that it has some gameplay flaws, I haven't even played it yet. But I am looking forward to doing so. It's a Nintendo game, that gameplay can't be abyssal or anything. Nintendo does make good games. And Yahtzee, at the very least, doesn't have that great of a track record for reviewing good Nintendo games. If Skyward Sword is a pile of crud to Yahtzee, surely Kid Icarus can't be that bad.

Also, yes. I'm a Nintendo "fangirl". I don't see what's so bad about that. It's not like they don't make good games. Or that I wouldn't accept a reasonable criticism.

cmdrmonkey

Apr 19, 2010
Nintendo has blown goats for the better part of two decades now. All they do is recycle tired ideas from their glory days in the late 80s and early 90s. The SNES was the last really good console they produced. Everything since then has been varying degrees of shit.

Let's see...

N64: used cartridges instead of discs so it couldn't handle the modern games that were coming out on the PS and PC at the time

GC: got clobbered by the PS2 and had almost nothing that would appeal to anyone over the age of 10. Pretty well dead by late 2003.

Wii: a gimmick that fizzled out and that used disgustingly out of date hardware (Nintendo apparently learned nothing from the N64)

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
Enlong said:
Ddgafd said:
How can you play the game with ABXY for the reticle? There's no way it controls as quickly as spinning the camera with the touch screen.
Because I'm badass. That, and it just feels unpleasant having to use two buttons that are so close to eachother and then having to use the touch screen as well. It feels cramped and doesn't do any favors for my fingers either. ABXY for the reticle just feels so much better, even thought it is somewhat clunky and inaccurate.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Atmos Duality said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
*chuckles*

Exactly. And as for the people who say he does it to be entertaining, then why does he dedicate Tuesdays to writing up articles justifying his opinion and why we're all wrong to disagree with him?

I'm looking forward to the game, anyway. And it also addresses complains from fans about being "sick of the same characters". And "wanting new IP". Kid Icarus isn't new IP, but it certainly isn't Mario.

One of the reasons I like Nintendo is I LIKE their characters. I'm a fan of their characters. If anything, I'd like to see more of the Koopalings. Or see Goombella or Lady Bow make a return. But for those who aren't as entrenched in liking Nintendo characters as I have been since I was like 9 years old and attempting to play Mario with my legos, Kid Icarus certain gives that.

I won't doubt that it has some gameplay flaws, I haven't even played it yet. But I am looking forward to doing so. It's a Nintendo game, that gameplay can't be abyssal or anything. Nintendo does make good games. And Yahtzee, at the very least, doesn't have that great of a track record for reviewing good Nintendo games. If Skyward Sword is a pile of crud to Yahtzee, surely Kid Icarus can't be that bad.
Thank you. Also, would Yahtzee rather have this instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVjNHvkLRVU

No I'm not kidding, Factor 5 actually thought making Pit into a Kratos wannabe would be a good idea to pitch to Nintendo. Thank god that company went under and we dodged a bullet there. Kid Icarus has always been a lighthearted game to begin with. You don't take a Greek inspired game about an angel shooting eggplant men and turn it into another God of War knockoff.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
I don't think Yahtzee would have preferred that. It would have gotten the "LIKE GOD OF WAR BUT" stamp inside of 2 minutes.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
mike1921 said:
I'm sorry, I get a little miffed when the Escapist forums employ their ridiculous Double Standards just to defend Yahtzee's "honor".

Counter-argue against Yahtzee's "serious points" and you get called a fanboy or someone who can't take a joke. So now which is it? Is it a joke? Or is he serious? Because any single point can't be both (different points can, I know).

The user I quoted claimed that anyone defending the controls was a fanboy, when that was a point to be contested.

You're correct: Different points don't have to be black and white, comedic and serious.

Using my own judgment for this episode, it's impossible for me to take Yahtzee seriously as a "game critic" when he glossed over virtually the entire game he's supposed to be reviewing so he can focus on making comedic hyperbole about a piece of plastic that absolutely NOBODY uses.
"A shit game for twats" is obviously a joke, trying to contrast with his rant about people calling him biased, is what I'm saying. What I had an objection to was you calling it an ad hominen when that point was clearly there as a joke. Like no one's going to say Yahtzee was joking about saying the controls are shit. They might say something stupid like you must be a fanboy to like the controls though.

But his main point about the peripheral is that the controls suck and he doesn't spend all that long talking about it either.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
mike1921 said:
"A shit game for twats" is obviously a joke, trying to contrast with his rant about people calling him biased, is what I'm saying.
And I might have believed you if he hadn't lashed out against criticism before; or how he spends time attempting to seriously refute criticism ab the commentary he makes 5 days later.

(incidentally, I find his articles to be far better than his videos since he actually goes into WHY rather than just saying "It's shit because I say so.")

Joke it may be, I did not find it witty or amusing, not even in an ironic sort of way.

What I had an objection to was you calling it an ad hominen when that point was clearly there as a joke. Like no one's going to say Yahtzee was joking about saying the controls are shit. They might say something stupid like you must be a fanboy to like the controls though.
Same points as above. I don't feel like repeating myself.

But his main point about the peripheral is that the controls suck and he doesn't spend all that long talking about it either.
He didn't spend all that long talking about the game either. *shrugs*
"Controls are shit, dialog is shit. You're twats for liking it."

Take objection with it as you like, I'm past trying to convince you at this point.
I didn't find it terribly funny, and I don't take any of his videos as legitimate reviews.

EDIT: I don't feel like bumping this crap again, but I do feel like blowing off steam.

Except he sorta did, gives you an idea of what the menu looks like (if you played SSBB),explained that if he is missing something with the 3D he doesn't care, Controls are shit because you need to do X Y and Z to do something and are so bad they have a peripheral for it, explains the game from a plot perspective ,Screen is cluttered, Dialog is shit, specifically the humor is shit because it is of X style, And the amount of menus inbetween levels are ridiculous . Sounds like enough content for a review to me and not "it's shit because I say so".
Oooh! The menu looks like SSBB! It's almost like...this game had the same producer as SSBB.
More on the menu later.
[NOT REVIEW]

The controls are indeed problematic, but for *NONE* of the reasons he gave, and his alternative suggestion would make the controls even worse. In fact, I'd say the controls are about as good as they're going to get for any kind of "shooter" without actually redesigning the 3DS to include two extra shoulder buttons on the back and a second analog nub.

Heart of the problem: The 3DS is a poor platform to design any sort of shooters for. His complaint is valid, but his reasoning is not.

Why not tap to fire? For starters, you cripple your stylus-hand tapping the screen like a fucking woodpecker (it's happened before in other DS titles; notably, Metroid Prime: Hunters), but the biggest problem is the camera.
Using the L-button to fire frees up your stylus hand so you can turn, move AND fire at the same time; y'know, kind of how you do in any other "shooter" game.

However, if you link firing to tapping, you are now firing every time you move the camera (since you have no choice but to touch the screen to turn the camera). Far more messy; really screws up Charged Shots and thrown Items. Keeping the stylus on the screen is much easier when you're on the go too.
[ACTUAL REVIEW, BARELY, POOR REASONING]

He described the style writing/dialog in only the vaguest terms possible: "Comedic, self-referential". Having re-watched the video, it's clear that he doesn't like it. Fine. He doesn't have to. It just gets glossed over anyway; no details or examples.
[NOT REVIEW]

As for the pacing "Episodes are short because.."...it's a hand-held. Content is episodic because it's assumed you're playing it on the go; it needs to be long enough to hold your attention, but short enough that you won't miss much by packing it up when real-life beckons.
[ACTUAL REVIEW, POOR REASONING]

He complained about the menu when there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
It's very easy to find whatever you need in a timely manner.

The single player story and preparation is kept in its own menu, the multiplayer is kept in its own menu, the Unlockable Fluff is kept in its own menu. All of them are at most TWO button presses away from each other.
Equipping/Fusing weapons is no more complicated than picking the type you want, going "Yeah, I want that one" and clicking on it. You can even demo weapons to see what they do right there from the same menu. Convenience! What a sin!
There is NO rational reason to rag on it except for the sake of hyperbolic comedy.
[NOT REVIEW.]

The peripheral+controls argument (which he spends a solid minute ragging on altogether, yes, I counted) is again, a point of comedic hyperbole; in reality, nobody uses it. I do mean fucking NOBODY.
[NOT REVIEW]

His most valid points about the controls: the dodge function is pretty obnoxious and prone to getting you into trouble in any of the more precarious locations.
[ACTUAL REVIEW]

So yeah, that might be good enough of a "review" for you, but I have to question whether you can even call this a "review" when he spends 3/4ths of the time doing naught be spinning hyperbole and calling his audience twats.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
And I might have believed you if he hadn't lashed out against criticism before; or how he spends time attempting to seriously refute criticism ab the commentary he makes 5 days later.

(incidentally, I find his articles to be far better than his videos since he actually goes into WHY rather than just saying "It's shit because I say so.")

Joke it may be, I did not find it witty or amusing, not even in an ironic sort of way
Some criticism is stupid and you should lash out against it, and some criticism deserves serious refutation or is at least annoying and stupid enough to make you want to

He didn't spend all that long talking about the game either. *shrugs*
"Controls are shit, dialog is shit. You're twats for liking it."
Except he sorta did, gives you an idea of what the menu looks like (if you played SSBB),explained that if he is missing something with the 3D he doesn't care, Controls are shit because you need to do X Y and Z to do something and are so bad they have a peripheral for it, explains the game from a plot perspective ,Screen is cluttered, Dialog is shit, specifically the humor is shit because it is of X style, And the amount of menus inbetween levels are ridiculous . Sounds like enough content for a review to me and not "it's shit because I say so".

Simca

Feb 7, 2008
Having watched Zero Punctuation "BACK IN THE DAY" when there were only two episodes on Youtube (Fable and something else), I can say that not really much has changed today. There are some legitimate issues, but they are mostly very old issues that even a few people expressed "BACK IN THE DAY".

Back then the novelty of the show and the smaller following kept people loyal, even if they didn't agree.

Now that the show has "hit it big", the older devoted following has mostly taken to attacking apparent flaws of the show (that they honestly just never noticed in the first place or didn't care about when it wasn't mainstream).

You will see people do this with literally everything ever everywhere. I haven't taken Sociology, but this sounds like pretty basic stuff.

zeit

Apr 24, 2012
I don't even know why they made another Kid Icarus game. Did you play the one for NES? That game sucked ass. There's one part where you go into a door and there's just nothing there, just an empty room with no music even. What the hell was that about?

Nintendo needs to stop screwing around and release a solid game again. The last one I can remember is Mario Galaxy. Twilight Princess was such a disappointment. It was totally rushed and lacked all of the little things that made Ocarina such a great game because Nintendo just doesn't seem to really "get it" anymore. It almost seems like all these new games weren't designed by Nintendo, but by the creepy basement dwellers who write fanfiction sequels and draw pictures of Princess Peach getting eaten out by Captain Falcon.

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
No shocker that the 3DS causes physical pain to play. I played wii boxing for two weeks, and thought my arms were going to fall off. Most people who haven't experienced this would say "oh you must be fat and lazy to say that." Go ahead try it. See how much "fun" it is. The reality is when you try to punch, kick, or move without facing equal resistance (AKA gym equipment) you will have an equal and opposite force acted on from the contraction of your muscles that in no way counter balances but doubles to stress on your joints. obviously with the 3DS its a sedentary problem but a similar concept. So I find it a pretty predictable that nintendo would once again sacrifice life and limb for their games......literally. And lets face it fan boys. The only real reason to buy a nintendo 3DS is to play the newest pokemon (which are mostly throwbacks to red and blue as well.) Flame on all you want.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
zeit said:
I don't even know why they made another Kid Icarus game. Did you play the one for NES? That game sucked ass. There's one part where you go into a door and there's just nothing there, just an empty room with no music even. What the hell was that about?
Can you describe what the room looked like? Because that may have been a hot spring.

CapitalistPig said:
No shocker that the 3DS causes physical pain to play. I played wii boxing for two weeks, and thought my arms were going to fall off. Most people who haven't experienced this would say "oh you must be fat and lazy to say that." Go ahead try it. See how much "fun" it is. The reality is when you try to punch, kick, or move without facing equal resistance (AKA gym equipment) you will have an equal and opposite force acted on from the contraction of your muscles that in no way counter balances but doubles to stress on your joints. obviously with the 3DS its a sedentary problem but a similar concept. So I find it a pretty predictable that nintendo would once again sacrifice life and limb for their games......literally. And lets face it fan boys. The only real reason to buy a nintendo 3DS is to play the newest pokemon (which are mostly throwbacks to red and blue as well.) Flame on all you want.
You... do know that there aren't any 3DS Pokémon games, right?

I mean, unless you count Pokédex 3D, but that's not a game, it's just a free glossary app. There aren't any pokémon games in the main series released, or even announced, for the system just yet.

There are plenty of games on the system for which I got the thing. This game is one of them, and I haven't been so satisfied with a game purchase since Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, Monster Hunter Tri, or Tales of Symphonia.

The Wii Boxing tangent literally has nothing to do with any issues the 3DS might have. Whatever damage a punching motion into air carries, it doesn't have anything to do with the motions used to move the stylus. Especially since the stylus is placed on a screen which does act as a surface to resist your motions, so the analogy doesn't work, even on a smaller scale. And if it's a problem with the way the system is held, I once again direct you to this little guide [http://i.imgur.com/VQ3GM.jpg].

Of course, if you're only trying to incite anger from people, might I suggest making your messages a bit less transparent? If you do a bit more research, people will be more prone to get angry than they are to just point out mistakes in the argument, because they will have no other option. One final note; ellipses are three dots. Any more than that only fits into the realm of Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
Was never a big fan of the gamecube controller.

I always found the Gamecube controller slightly awkward to use. I know, it sounds strange but I played A LOT of games for the snes, PS1 and PS2 before getting a gamecube so my natural thumb position was resting in the middle of the four buttons and I roll my thumb toward the button I'm going to use. The gamecube controller just doesn't really mesh well with that method of playing and I didn't like the position of the x and y buttons, I understand why they were positioned there but again, it didn't work very naturally to me. The L and R buttons also felt doughy... if that makes sense, wasn't that big of an issue until I played Paper Mario: the Thousand Year Door, where mashing the R button was required. I did get used to it but it never feels as natural as the controllers that followed the snes's button layout.

Most of my friends naturally hold a controller with their thumb in what I call a 'hook' position, they all love the gamecube controller.

There's more to it than that.

My dealings with the subject:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.320902.13120238

Dresos

Jun 17, 2011
Bad controls, quite good everything else. I would recommend it to my friends if anyone of them actually had a 3ds.

Spenstar

Jul 23, 2011
CapitalistPig said:
No shocker that the 3DS causes physical pain to play. I played wii boxing for two weeks, and thought my arms were going to fall off.
Believe me, I know the feeling. the other sports are much less taxing, though. However, you're talking about the Wii here, and this is a completely different system. Your argument is invalid.

Most people who haven't experienced this would say "oh you must be fat and lazy to say that." Go ahead try it. See how much "fun" it is. The reality is when you try to punch, kick, or move without facing equal resistance (AKA gym equipment) you will have an equal and opposite force acted on from the contraction of your muscles that in no way counter balances but doubles to stress on your joints.
No sarcasm here, I appreciate the little science lesson. I already knew that, but knowing that you know why it's the case is pretty cool.

obviously with the 3DS its a sedentary problem but a similar concept. So I find it a pretty predictable that nintendo would once again sacrifice life and limb for their games......literally.
The 3DS does not feature motion control except for the Gyroscope, which thankfully takes a backseat to touchscreen and button controls, both of which avert the wii boxing problem due to the resistance offered by the 3DS itself. If you're talking about the 3D, it's not painful at all to play in 3D and even so, it is completely optional. The 3D also takes a backseat to the 3DS's astounding hardware. The name is just a pun and the 3D is more easily marketable than the processing power and graphics.

And lets face it fan boys. The only real reason to buy a nintendo 3DS is to play the newest pokemon (which are mostly throwbacks to red and blue as well.) Flame on all you want.
I'm not the one flaming here. There haven't been any main series Pokemon games on the 3DS yet; actually, the newest ones coming out (Black 2 and White 2) will be on the DS. Yes, I look forward to playing Pokemon on my 3DS. However, there's so much more. This game is a pretty damn good reason to get a 3DS, in my book it is fantastic. There's also Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, updated rereleases of Ocarina of Time and Starfox 64, and upcoming games like New Super Mario Bros 2. As the next generation of Nintendo handhelds, all of Nintendo's IPs will take the jump to 3DS, and even that doesn't appear to be all, judging from this game. The possibilities of playing a handheld game of one of those IPs with this kind of power, including graphics comparable to the Wii, (without the 3D activated) is a very valid reason to get a 3DS. Cry fanboy all you want, but you're the one flaming here, not me.

RedHighwind07

Aug 11, 2011
Maybe you people should realize that just because Yahtzee doesn't like a game you do, it's not a personal attack on you. I played the game and liked it. Yahtzee brought up some valid points, but I still enjoyed the game. Maybe if you were a real fan you would actually play the game instead of rushing onto a forum to spout vitriol at some guy who has a different opinion from you.

Good review by the way, best one for a couple of weeks now.

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
Dresos said:
Bad controls, quite good everything else. I would recommend it to my friends if anyone of them actually had a 3ds.
Would you recommend it to a complete stranger on the interwebs. Like me? I'm usually quite picky about bad controls.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
fenrirvii said:
ok first of all, it's really hard to make the argument that the controls are so bad when we already SAW the same type of controls being used in Metroid Prime: Hunters and the Zelda games on the DS... It's the SAME HAND POSITION! Why KI:U is the first game to really get bashed for these controls makes no sense.
The controls are slightly different because it's a 3rd person shooter, so you swipe the touch screen to rotate the camera, but the swiping mechanics have the best customization options in the game..
This is just a hypothesis, but maybe the weight of the 3DS is a factor? It is noticably heavier than the old DS Lite (and maybe the i and LL too).

I love the game, but the strain on my wrist does tend to limit me to short bursts of a single level at a time.

1nfinite_Cros5 said:
Dresos said:
Would you recommend it to a complete stranger on the interwebs. Like me? I'm usually quite picky about bad controls.
They're not bad in a "makes the game not work well" way. The problem is more of a "your wrist might start hurting after a while" problem.

Dresos

Jun 17, 2011
1nfinite_Cros5 said:
Dresos said:
I would, the controls aren't a dealbreaker unless you intend to play through the game in one go.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Doesn't Yahtzee already have an established history of hating on Whedon & his work? I don't mean to get off topic but it has come up in earlier videos, and there's that YouTube vid with him & the two other guys talking about Whedon's writing style. And yes, Yahtzee's in fine funny form.

Spenstar

Jul 23, 2011
RedHighwind07 said:
Maybe you people should realize that just because Yahtzee doesn't like a game you do, it's not a personal attack on you. I played the game and liked it. Yahtzee brought up some valid points, but I still enjoyed the game. Maybe if you were a real fan you would actually play the game instead of rushing onto a forum to spout vitriol at some guy who has a different opinion from you.

Good review by the way, best one for a couple of weeks now.
...we're not claiming personal attacks on ourselves, we're just stating our disagreements with him and responding to those on the forum who DO attack us personally.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
My Nintendo Fanboyisms aren't really upset at you for this review, Yahtzee. Mind you, I don't have a 3DS because they make me hurlicious, and I haven't seen the game yet. Maybe if I played the game I could be frothing in rage, kind of like how I was when you reviewed Monster Hunter Tri for not making fun of the little helper guy.

But I will say I was absolutely giddy with good memories when you brought up the GameCube controller and all of its awesomeness. ``

Kefkiroth

May 2, 2012
I can play the game fine without the stand. Since I lost my stylus (I swear, the stylus holder is too loose... I've had my DS Lite for 5 years, and it still never slipped out, while I only had the 3DS for a week then lost the stylus), I found that it's even playable with your right thumb.

Also, I use A(right),B(use powerup), and Y(left) for powerups, the default D-Pad settings are terrible because you can't move and choose powerups at the same time.

The only thing I hate about the controls is that it's way too easy to dash and slip off an edge. It should just be double tap to dash in my opinion. We shouldn't have to gradually slide the circle pad just to walk comfortably.

Hunter15

Jan 12, 2011
Hmmm Kratos in a Kid Icrus game......Gentlemen we have a new blockbuster game idea.