Zero Punctuation: Killzone 3

Bookoo

Mar 18, 2011
This review seemed pretty harsh. Normally Yatzee will point out the game flaws, but he seemed to actively dislike this title and some of his complaints seemed misinformed.

Like others have mentioned R1 is the typically shooting button on the PS3 and you can switch the controls to make L1 - Ironsights, so they really aren't doing anything any different than any other FPS on the PS3.

Also if anyone was interested in trying the move for KZ3, do not take his review seriously and actually try it. His critique sounded like he really didn't try it for that long and he sounded like my friends who complain about using a controller instead of a keyboard and mouse.

I personally love the Move controls for the game and after you find settings you like for them it may take a few hours to get used too. The only thing that isn't that great with the move controls is the melee attack since it is a gesture. People have been asking them to give us the option to bind that to square since reload is also a gesture, but also bound to square. The reload gesture is actually pretty good, so the binding isn't really needed.

I will agree with the Yatzee that the campaign is not that great and the ending is awful. This is really a game you should pick up if you are interested in the multiplayer.

Urameshi13

Jan 18, 2011
Here's the thing, I don't even want an apology out of him, people make mistakes, so I'm not going to completely hose the guy for it since he's still hilarious.

That and any "apology" we got out of him would probably be something like "Well all you bloody thin-skinned yanks cried about it so I guess I was wrong."

Kazaazz

Dec 23, 2010
Man, that made me laugh, as Yatzhee always does especially when us Britons are involved. You have defended your home country well, you genius.

JoeJoeB88

Mar 9, 2011
This doesn't apply to everyone from Europe/Australia.. but I sense an aura of smugness coming from many of you. We have a lot of idiots over here, I get it. Har har. If France or England was the size of the USA, you'd have a lot more idiots, too.

We do stereotype English people as evil, and if not evil we stereotype them as suave, manipulating, good with the ladies, etc. Do you guys not stereotype us? A common thing I hear European's say is some form of "rednecks/American southerners are stupid." Do you really think all American southerners are uneducated? And do you really think they otherwise have no redeemable qualities? Many of them are genuinely nice people, friendly, etc. If "Hollywood" was based in London, how many feature films do you think would show these positive attributes? My guess is, rednecks would more likely be portrayed as ignorant, God loving, incestuous racists.

I think we just all need to recognize that, at the end of the day we're all pretty similar. Our countries are pretty similar, and the people are pretty similar. Is the USA often involved in wars? Yes. Was England not involved in the affairs of lot of foreign nations in the past? Shoot, we were a colony of you at one point.

Sorry, /rant. Just wanted to get that off of my chest.

JoeJoeB88

Mar 9, 2011
Also, this game "Killzone" itself stereotypes American's, even while the reviewer cites the game as an example of American's stereotyping the English. Yet another game showing American's as military psychos, knowing no other form of recourse but brute violence. Yawn.

It's true we're involved in many wars.. but where are all the video games about those of us who protest the wars? Where are the games about our libertarians who disagree with much, if not all of our overseas spending?

I suppose I'm a bit insecure about Euro's/Aussie's dissing American's, for some reason. It's always bothered me, haha. I'm not sure why. It's irritating insulting and upsetting all at the same time.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Out of all the FPS I have played I actually enjoy Killzone 3 the most. Both the single and multiplayer have outstanding graphics and gameplay is not tooo bad. This was the first PS3 game I played comming from the 360 so that was a little weird but it's all good now. Overall, this is one time I'm gonna have to dissagree with Zero Punctuation, I'm ok with Killzone but I'm not British either.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
JoeJoeB88 said:
Also, this game "Killzone" itself stereotypes American's, even while the reviewer cites the game as an example of American's stereotyping the English. Yet another game showing American's as military psychos, knowing no other form of recourse but brute violence. Yawn.

It's true we're involved in many wars.. but where are all the video games about those of us who protest the wars? Where are the games about our libertarians who disagree with much, if not all of our overseas spending?

I suppose I'm a bit insecure about Euro's/Aussie's dissing American's, for some reason. It's always bothered me, haha. I'm not sure why. It's irritating insulting and upsetting all at the same time.
They are called Sim City, The Sims, and Pong.

You can controll the city budget and create a deficite.
OR
Have compleate controll over people who may not have your opinions.
OR
Have a pointless session of tossing something back and forth.

All are non-violant and just for you... They are quite popular too, if that helps.

You do know that the devolpers, Guerrilla Games, are based in Amsterdam right?
http://www.guerrilla-games.com/

JoeJoeB88

Mar 9, 2011
Sarge034 said:
JoeJoeB88 said:

OR
OR

All are non-violant and just for you... They are quite popular too, if that helps.

The fact that the game developers are based in Amsterdam is part of my point. It prevents a stereotypical view of American's, just as Yatzee was complaining that American's stereotype English people.

I was being sarcastic when I said "where are all the games about people who protest against the wars." Who would want to play a game like that? The point is.. that the stereotype of American's is violent warmongers/ idiots, so that's what is reflected in the games. But that there's millions of other American's who are nothing like that. Yet it seems many Europeans base their opinion of American's on things like how we're portrayed in games, and the opinion of the "loud minority."

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
JoeJoeB88 said:
Sarge034 said:
JoeJoeB88 said:

OR
OR

The fact that the game developers are based in Amsterdam is part of my point. It prevents a stereotypical view of American's, just as Yatzee was complaining that American's stereotype English people.

I was being sarcastic when I said "where are all the games about people who protest against the wars." Who would want to play a game like that? The point is.. that the stereotype of American's is violent warmongers/ idiots, so that's what is reflected in the games. But that there's millions of other American's who are nothing like that. Yet it seems many Europeans base their opinion of American's on things like how we're portrayed in games, and the opinion of the "loud minority."
Wait, so who got it right?

Is this America stereotyping the British?
Are the Dutch stereotyping America?
Or.....
Are the Dutch steryotyping America steryotyping the British?

When it comes down to it I'm ok with people thinking we are experts in warfare. To quote the Marines, "There is no greater friend, nor worse enemy." That how I feel we should be looked apon, and more importantly that is how we should BE.

Also, best not to be sarcastic on here. People like me just love to poke fun at that, as sarcasim serves no purpose other then to distract from the topic.

lochmonster

Mar 19, 2011
lol the british helped win the US win the war? When one of your most successful and celebrated military actions is an evacuation, then you've got problems

Aside from a few british planes successfully defending London from being obliterated, the UK had negligible impact on the outcome of the war.

swenson

Sep 5, 2009
8 pages and not one calibrations joke?!

Well, there is one now. I hope you're happy, Yahtzee.

FrankenLife

Dec 18, 2008
For some reason I have the feeling that he knew that the game was made by the Dutch and managed by SCEE. He just wanted to take another crack at Americans, and hoped people wouldn't notice.

Also R1 is best for shooting on the PS3 because that is where the curvature of the controller naturally positions your index finger. The "trigger" buttons aren't triggers. They just have more range on them and a badly placed pivot. Forcing the player to use R2 to shoot is reason enough to sell the game without finishing it.

Spydiggity

Feb 28, 2010
Yahtzee, you may be surprised to read this, but you went too easy on this game. No mention of the heavy scripting, the tight corridor linearity that's practically on rails (and sometimes is completely on rails), the horrible voice acting, and the physics shortcuts (the water is in no-way dynamic and is just on a loop, which is exactly why you die the instant your toe touches it). for a game that is supposed to be "the best FPS on console," it's one of the shittiest experiences i've had all generation.

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
Cover is worse than BF:BC2? o_O I will not be playing this game. BC2 was horrible.

Fun fact of the thread. Apparently Cockney is dying out thanks to all the Arabic immigrants. You know, lots of "Yo *****, you be dissing my.." Actually I have no idea how to end that. I like languages, codes and cants, I don't like "cool black dude" syndrome. But anyway, Cockney should last all of another year or so according to the news reports I saw last year.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Nimcha said:
mptothedc said:
Hmm too much USA hate for me here now. I don't think I'll be watching Zero Punctuation anymore.
Yeah me neither. Him not knowing this was made by a Dutch company hurts too much.
The characters are clearly american and it was clearly targeted at an american audience, he never said anything about americans developing it

Citizen Box

Feb 24, 2011
Great like usual Yahtzee, but the random jabs at Americans where kind of odd and did ruin it for me. As stated already its a Dutch development company not American.

Also, saying that it was clearly targeted at Americans giving the reason for the bashing is like saying The Saboteur is clearly targeted at the Irish because the main character is Irish.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Why does only HALF of the door break a HALF-second later when I melee it?

Anyway, I find R1 works better than R2 for shooting on PS3.

Since it's "triggers" suck.

R2 works fine for less action focused games like RDR and Mafia 2, but with FPS games on PS3, I prefer R1.
LOL Didn't notice that till halfway into the game when it became necessary for me to beat down the doors. Other than that game is freaking excellent despite what Yahtzee says.

And honestly when playing through the game I found myself enjoying the brutal Melee kills a bit too much. If anything I felt like the real villain at how much I was enjoying filling the Space Nazis full of lead.
The really funny thing though was that by a good margin, the Helghasts were a bit more civilized and orderly than the ISA troops. Hell they even managed to look out for one another. Now don't get me wrong they were a bit dickish (enjoying blowing up a guy with a radiation gun) but honestly these guys more orderly than the "Good guys" of the game.