Zero Punctuation: Killzone 3

Sojoez

Nov 24, 2009
In my humble opinion, this 'review' fits perfectly in the section of tvtropes.com called "Did Not Do the Research."! :p

Mr Chris

Dec 13, 2010
Have to say I had more issues with the 'stealth' section than anything else. Someone's already mentioned the glaringly bright blue lights all over the uniform but what about the "oh, if I crouch amongst 5 blades of Helgrass then I'm obviously invisible, even to Higs looking down at the grass from above, because for some reason standing in anything remotely organic seems to render enemies blind."

KelsieKatt

May 14, 2008
Yahtzee... Please learn your history and the overall standard for ALL Playstation consoles.

R1/L1 are for shooting, period. No self-respecting PS3 exclusive would ever map aiming/firing to R2/L2 and I for one wouldn't touch any game which did with a 50 foot pole.

If you want real triggers, go play an Xbox or Xbox 360 game, those flappy paddle things are a pathetic disgrace which doesn't even come close.

Until Sony can make a proper trigger, it's going to stay that way. However, then again, does it really need to? Why fix what isn't broken?

Any game that has R2/L2 for aiming is almost always a lazy port where the developers simply slapped Xbox 360 controls directly onto a PS3 controller.

R2/L2 is not the standard.

That said, if a minority of people want it, I don't see anything wrong with having a seperate option, as more customization options is always better.

----

As for the Killzone series itself, I personally found it to be an extremely generic pile of crap, but that's something else entirely.

GuiltBlade

Nov 6, 2009
Yog Sothoth said:
Just as I've always thought: Killzone is nothing more than a poor man's Halo.
I don't think this is applicable when it cost more to make and more to buy than Halo.

The games actually don't seem that similar aside from the 1st person perspective and the fact that its in the future after space colonisation.

But still don't think I'd enjoy it. First problem is the idea that every planet is always united under a single regime. How long have we inhabited this world and how unified are we?
I guess that's a genre flaw though.

Next its villains all come from the school of logic which states "I do it because I'm evil". This just bores me to death.

And finally games all about shooting, shooting and even more shooting get dull after the first play through no matter what expensive add-ons it uses.

Also as a guy in England I can honestly say we would make terrible dictators, but excellent villains.
No two English people can agree on the condition of the weather, let alone how to rule the world.
But as we don't get guns to make it easy to let our frustration out, we get terribly good at being inventive.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Oh look, Killzone 3 tried to rip off Halo Reach with Jetpacks and space combat... and wasn't as good! Well wasn't that unexpected. (the sarcasms so thick I can taste it.

eeverett2

Mar 2, 2011
Gotta admit Yahtzee, you hit the nail on the head. Someone has to be brutally honest, and Yahtzee is the best candidate.

WakeTheDead1

Jan 27, 2010
i actually really enjoyed KZ3, and i prefer the more real weighty feel, theres a lot of fps that feel like you are controlling a floating camera but this feels more like controlling a person

also im english and i dont have a problem with all the helghast being all british, most people have to admit as a race theyre pretty fucking cool

TheThirdChild

Feb 16, 2010
I really don't know what he was going on about with the controls. The way the controls are set out is fine. I've played loads of games with that layout and never had a problem. Maybe gameplay is slightly different in Killzone? :/

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
hecticpicnic said:
Yog Sothoth said:
Even thought they have nothing to do with each other?
Yeah that's why the first Killzone was advertised as a "Halo Killer", and KZ3 ripped the fucking jetpacks and space combat right out of Halo: Reach (only not as good!). I don't even like to throw "ripoff" around a lot anymore but damn that's blatant.

Anyway I actually was going to come in here to castigate Yahtzee for his blatant Research Failure in not knowing Guerilla Games was based in The Netherlands but I'm glad several people beat me to it. Gives me hope that people aren't completely fan-blind to all of this.

Dec 27, 2010
Ekonk said:
...You do know this game was made by the Dutch, not by Americans, yeah?
This is true, although other than that I think you made a very valid point about how non-Americans are portrayed in games.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Welcome to four years ago, Yahtzee! The R1 button has been used for shooting since the first FPS on the PS3. Mainly because developers knew that using those fat, bulky triggers on a constant basis would piss people off. I seem to remember you mentioning that in your GTA4 review in regards to the driving.

As for the rooky mistakes: Guerrilla Games is a rooky studio. Sony basically forced the label of "blockbuster" onto Guerrilla, because they wanted a first party studio to develope a Halo-killer. But trying to get a Dutch studio to create a blockbuster is futile, because we simply don't have that mentality.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
If someone in need isn't helped because you take offense to a video game, yeah I'd call that evil XP.

Dec 27, 2010
AceDiamond said:
hecticpicnic said:
Yog Sothoth said:
Even thought they have nothing to do with each other?
Yeah that's why the first Killzone was advertised as a "Halo Killer", and KZ3 ripped the fucking jetpacks and space combat right out of Halo: Reach (only not as good!). I don't even like to throw "ripoff" around a lot anymore but damn that's blatant.

Anyway I actually was going to come in here to castigate Yahtzee for his blatant Research Failure in not knowing Guerilla Games was based in The Netherlands but I'm glad several people beat me to it. Gives me hope that people aren't completely fan-blind to all of this.
Actually Killzone had jetpacks before Halo, it was in a PSP version or something, although I agree the game really is trying be both Halo and COD, and seen as I dont really like either games so as far as I'm concerned this game can suck my balls.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
I think Yahtzee messed up the developer on purpose to try and get people angry... kind worked.

I mean geez it'd be nice if you didn't get your facts wrong for the sake of a joke.

zaziuma

Sep 19, 2010
Uhhh, I am pissed! But I know that I can't really do anything about it. This is the way he reviews games, and it's fucking hilarious

kickassfrog

Jan 17, 2011
Ekonk said:
...You do know this game was made by the Dutch, not by Americans, yeah?
Doesn't matter, everyone hates the brits- the americans are the only ones who are unnecessarily hateful towards us though

Mason Goldbeck

Oct 25, 2010
Is no one going to talk about the possibility that He changed the wrong letter? Maybe they were trying to be clever about a war between the british and the IRA. It would still only be a one letter change.

li-ion

Dec 19, 2008
There are so many stoned and drunk US tourists in Amsterdam, it's easy to get mixed up... but yes, gorilla games I mean Guerrilla Games is a Dutch subsidiary of a Japanese company. But that shouldn't stop us from bashing the US & A.

I personally prefer the R1 button to shoot on the PS3-controller. Black Ops had it also on R1 on the PS3 IIRC, why no complaint there? Just Cause 2 had it on R2 as standard and it drove me nuts. But I guess since I disagree my opinion is wrong. Forget what I said: I actually prefer the left mousebutton to shoot in FPS. However, since Killzone will never appear on PC I guess I have to play it on the PS3 if I want to.

The cover mechanic is a bit weird in a FPS. I never understood why they put that in the way they did in Killzone 2 already. If I'd go in cover behind a concrete block, I would duck far enough for my head not being an open invitation for bullets. But that's just me.

So most criticism here doesn't matter much to me, since I liked the gameplay in Killzone 2 (firing with the evil R1). I'm also not offended by British accents.

What I dislike most about Killzone is the weak justification for the whole invasion. I didn't really see something Killzone 2 (or the wikipedia entry on the game series) that would clearly justify the invasion of the planet Helghan other than revenge. The only thing that makes them evil is the obvious Nazi-reference. If you want to keep them at bay it would be enough to have space lasers that shoot down their ships I assume. Why start a retaliation war that will cost the lives of millions of people? (because it's a video game and the writers couldn't come up with a better reason than "they look like nazis!", obviously)

I was also annoyed by my own squad. The most annoying NPC in Killzone 2 is Rico. A man-child who mistakes constant use of profanities with maturity. Like most ISA personnel in this game. Unlike the Helghast however, who are able to talk complete sentences without resorting to multiple use of four-letter words. Sunshine Rico runs around and kills so many Helghast that it can only be measured in metric tons. Yet he is displeased with the extend of his own genocide and want's to continually kill more of them.