Zero Punctuation: Killzone 3

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
wow He didn't like it I am so shocked. -___- I mean we all knew what kind of game was coming out after you played the first one no need to expect anything else.

Nightbringer

Apr 22, 2009
I bought KZ2 and got about 20 minutes in before I shelved it. The graphics have potential, but if you peer past the (admittedly nice) post-processing the base textures are alarmingly low resolution. Everything runs together in an uninteresting muddy sameness and lacks sharpness. The characters and setting are poorly realized, unrealistic and unrelateable, and I don't recall being impressed by any animation (particularly facial).

I watched some KZ3 videos to get a grip on how things have changed, but from what I've seen they haven't. :(

Gaming King

Apr 9, 2010
Is it just me, or was that one kinda dull? The jokes just weren't as good as usual. But at least it wasn't for another obscure piece of crap nobody's ever heard of. SONIC COLORS FOR THE Wii NOW, PLEASE. PLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEEEE!! I want to see it SUFFER!!

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
from now on
whenever i see an advert on the escapist i will think,
another buck for Yahtzees Kinect move

The Electro Gypsy

Aug 10, 2010
Gods damn it, Bulletstorm was NOT a fucking cover based shooter, if you honestly think that Yahtzee, you've approached it the wrong way.

And Killzone sounds about as terrible as I always thought it'd be!

Also, on the topic of the ZP's humour, I personally found that it goes through phases of being extremely funny and then being more serious, Dead Space 2 has started off this unfunny phase, but that's not surprising tbh

secretsantaone

Mar 9, 2009
Therumancer said:

We're talking about pop culture, not the culture in of itself. This revolves around fantasy and how the Britan likes to portray itself, not reality. You'll notice I haven't mentioned ONE source of role-playing games, but tons of differant things all around a similar theme, including one of the longer running comic universes out there.

The point here being is that with all of this stuff being produced, I don't see where there is any room to complain about Killzone, which is just another work of fantasy in a similar vein. The only possible reason to say "well this is differant" is simply because it seems to be being made by someone who isn't British. Sort of like a black person shooting off the "N" word every 15 seconds and then getting all upset when someone else does it.

I never said the British were goosestepping through the streets to planning campaigns of facist world domination in reality, simply that there is a definate trend to show that within british pop culture. You can protest it all you want and say that it's contrary to the British mentality as a whole, and that's fine, I believe you that people don't act that way in public or go around screaming that idealogy, but at the end of the day it's a popular escapist concept. I'm sure part of the whole appeal is specifically BECAUSE it's "wrong" sort of like kids wanting to be pirates, or going through a phase where they are interested in criminals and seriel killers. People don't go watch horror movies and cheer for the bad guys (hey it happens) due to some actual desire to go out and committ sadistic acts of murder. People go to see "A Nightmare On Elm Street" to see Freddy Kreuegar kill people in messed up ways, which is why he's iconic, and they sell action figures of him, not of the teen girls who ultimatly defeat him. :)

Yahtzee has no reason to pick on this aspect of things like it's in some way unfair, because it really isn't.

If you want to get technical as well, for all of the "OMG, we suffered so much" stuff from World War II, remember The British Empire was at one time the dominant world power, and engaged in a LOT of very aggressive wars of conquest before overextending itself. For all pretensions of "oh well we grew out of that" it's foolish to try and claim with a straight face that people don't look back at the time when their people were dominant, and the techniques and tactics they used to do it. Because of how relativelty recent he was people will point fingers at Hitler, but on a lot of levels he wasn't all that differant from other conquering powers. You can draw as many analogies between a lot of these really fascist and aggressive British fantasy concepts, and the time of The British Empire. Heck, Kipling probably would have found a lot to like in "Warhammer 40k".

Every nation wants to publically present itself as being peaceful, reactive, and nice guys, well unless they are the dominant world power usually. When fortunes change pretty much every former power goes "Ummm, yeah about all that fascism, racism, conquest and brutality... we're really sorry, we've outgrown that" and then whine about being on the receiving end.

The bottom line is that there is no reason to get defensive about it, or try and deny it, it's all right there so you can't anyway. My point isn't to be judgemental of any point except the hypocricy of the complaint... and again, nobody is saying that the British guy on the street right now is secretly some kind of militant maniac, not even fans of the materials being mentioned, no more than someone who likes horror movies is secretly planning to go on murder rampages.
Well done for not reading my post at all.

Firstly, most of the things you listed aren't supportive of facist regimes, quite the opposite in fact.

Secondly, the Helghast are specifically portrayed to be similar to Nazis, from the uniforms to the German sounding name. It's all fine and dandy talking about the British empire, I'm no apologist, I know the empire was brutal, but it was not in anyway Nazi Germany, nor was it particularly facist, and the point is that the British are portraying the side they fought so hard against. It's like making a game based around the American revolution where the French fight for independance from the Americans.

Finally, are you seriously saying that because 'V for Vendetta' and 'Warhammer 40K' Britain is now asssociated with facism to the general audience? Really?

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
putowtin said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Ekonk said:
...You do know this game was made by the Dutch, not by Americans, yeah?
So the Dutch are taking the piss out of the US of A?

I can get behind that.
as can I!
But as a brit... what did we do to the Dutch to upset them? Remember Jedward are Irish and have nothing to do with the rest of the British Isles!
I get it now. This game is a Dutch plot *puts on sunglasses* to drive a wedge between the USA and UK... *dramatic music*

Also, nice play on words, Yahtzee. "Fuck it right in the cutting edge. ouch!" Classic!

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Killzone 2 was a really great game...However what killed it for me was the controls. It was virutally unplayable on the highest difficulty setting. As far as i understood the controls had been rewamped for this installment. Seems i was somewhat wrong.

fangsandflames3133

Mar 9, 2011
They aren't British.....they are just British actors....
British actors (or at least the British accent) are the generic stand in for all Europeans...current or ancient.
Like in Gladiator...
or Troy...
or Alexander...
or just about any movie set in Europe...

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Ekonk said:
...You do know this game was made by the Dutch, not by Americans, yeah?
Yahtzee would never pass up a chance to make fun of Americans, even if he has to lie to us for it.

Flamespeak

May 19, 2010
I liked it, but can see why others wouldn't. Review was strange though, focusing more on the aesthetics than the core gameplay. Multiplayer is a big part of the game too, but Yahtzee never mentions or plays that segment so I can't give him any shit for not mentioning it, but if you were curious about it, it has been reworked quite a bit.

TheECP

Nov 1, 2007
Hating on the US is a ZP theme that's getting a little old now. But he's got a clear point about the Bad guys always being British, haha.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
secretsantaone said:
[
Well done for not reading my post at all.

Firstly, most of the things you listed aren't supportive of facist regimes, quite the opposite in fact.

Secondly, the Helghast are specifically portrayed to be similar to Nazis, from the uniforms to the German sounding name. It's all fine and dandy talking about the British empire, I'm no apologist, I know the empire was brutal, but it was not in anyway Nazi Germany, nor was it particularly facist, and the point is that the British are portraying the side they fought so hard against. It's like making a game based around the American revolution where the French fight for independance from the Americans.

Finally, are you seriously saying that because 'V for Vendetta' and 'Warhammer 40K' Britain is now asssociated with facism to the general audience? Really?
I read your post very carefully, I just think your wrong, and being needlessly defensive instead of rational about it.

Among other things you seem to think that there is really anything wrong with the Nazis as a military force or order or battle. It was very efficient, very effective, and took it's inspiration for a lot of sources. In fact there is a lot of good that can be said about Nazi germany in all respects. Hitler was an international man of the year before the war, and he was right about 99% of the things that he said, it was that 1% that was the problem. The thing that made him scary is that he was charismatic and well loved, despite how movies like to present him nowadays. He did not succeed because he and a handfull of maniacs, ruthlessly seized power and somehow managed to institute and maintain a reign of terror. The problem with that version (common to most cinema) is he never would have had the manpower to be a threat. What's more the propaganda in the US over World War II was so intense because he had TONS of people who supported him over here, the goverment seized as much control over the media as it did both to quash that, as well as the constant isolationist sentiment. The reality wasn't as simple as "Hitler was Evil, we realized this after pearl harbour and went off to save Europe by firing light out of our anuses". Even after Pearl Harbour a lot of people in the US still didn't want to go to war, or actually thought we should side with the Nazis (and the latter point was signifigant at the time, but forgotten to a lot of history, but there was some mention of it in the propaganda section of The Smithsonian when I visited in order to explain what some of the things on display were actually about, or made in response to). A lot of our espianage concerns in the US were not from Germans sneaking into the country or Japanese loyalists, though those were both factors, but largely due to Hitler supporters who were there to begin with seeking to undermine the US for what they actually perceived as the best interests of the US. Of course this is getting well off the subject. The point I'm making here is to say "wow, these guys seem Nazi-like in their trappings" seems kind of silly, when you consider a LOT of militaries did, and still do. Heck the "Imperial Guard" in Warhammer 40k uses a lot of nazi-like and stalinist inspired designs for uniforms and such. Also military forces generally don't go around calling themselves "the fluffy kittens" (unless it's some kind of joke), a term like "Helghest" or whatever sounds pretty intimidating, and that's generally the point no matter what side your on.

Pretty much all the examples I gave are VERY aggressive and facist in their outlook, it's just that they are typically presented as being justified. Heck, I'm sure if you were to look at things strictly from the perspective of the bad guys in Killzone (as opposed to your omniscient perspective as the game player) you can probably see how from their perspective they happen to be the good guys as well.

As far as a few works of fiction associating the UK entirely with facism goes, that's hardly the case. However, it's not like your presented as the straight out bad guys either. In fiction though Britan *DOES* tend to be associated with a lot of very dark, very gray material, where even the good guys are ambigious in a modern sense and tend to largely be "good" only when you look at things in an extreme "big picture" kind of way. The typical British hero nowadays, and this includes characters created by Brits, is a coated, eternally cynical wanker, with an extreme sadistic streak, who always winds up doing the right thing though oftentimes in the most obnoxious way possible. The general attitude for a British-themed hero, or one created by a brit, being that the world is so screwed up that the only way to deal with all the bastards in it is to be an even bigger bastard themself... and you know the messed up thing... despite what you might think from THIS post, I generally tend to agree with that point of view. It summarizes how I've seen the world for a long time now. Like most of those characters I myself am a miserable bastard, who hopes against the odds that in the end they will leave the world a slightly better place (even if unnoticable) by the time they are gone. It's sad, but I feel a lot of kinship with a lot of these characters, which is why I'm familiar with them.

GavinTheCard

May 26, 2010
Yahtzee seems to think Guerilla Games is based in America. It's in the Netherlands. Amsterdam to be more precise.

Jhales

Jul 29, 2009
My brother got Killzone 2 for free with his PS3. I played a bit of it before I got too frustrated with it. A lot of what you mentioned for this review was some of the same stuff that annoyed me for number 2. I wonder if they kept the completely idiotic vehicle designs and awful gray color scheme.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
And here I thought using a move controller might make the shooting easier. I find it amusing that my first impression of the game was 'Nazi's with spaceflight', although apparently it was everyone elses too.

The nod to 'Just Lather, That's All' at the end there was a good touch.