Zero Punctuation: Killzone 3

Sabinfrost

Mar 2, 2011
I like the game, expected this from the review, and laughed at it. I hope Yahtzee never changes. I just wish that for once he would at least mention multi-player, I know he isn't a competitive gamer, but Killzone was clearly designed for competitive gaming, not to tell some Oscar winning drama narrative.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
jesus, i wish it was only sony doing the gimmick thing.
-xbox has kinnect
-3ds has the 3d, though it would be hard in conversation otherwise

about the only console that doesnt is the wii, it does what the console was designed for, horrible motion control for the family (different to the 3ds as the 3ds is just a latter gen ds, no different than the huge shift from ds to ds lite).

this all makes me sad, and that kinnect lion thing still gives me nightmares and ive never even tried the kinnect.

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
bit_crusherrr said:
Yahtzee gets it wrong again. Most PS3 shooters, infact all I've played (COD:W@W, Black Ops, Killzone 2, MAG, Uncharted 2 and so on) use R1/L1 for shooting and aiming, you can also change the controls so R3 isn't aim in the options. Doe's he even bother paying any attention to the games he plays now? In the DCUO review he complained that the targeting system switches targets randomly as he moves the mouse, he clearly didn't pay attention to the part of the tutorial that tells you how to lock targets. It just looks like he's finding any excuse to rag on a game without checking if it's a valid complaint.

One more thing, I'm pretty sure Killzone is made by the Dutch.
You know, this is the feeling I have got from ZP lately. sure, I know that ZP is first and foremost entertainment, but I like his rants ebtter when there is some truth to it. This, and many of the latest review, rag on pedantic trivialities that are either not nearly as commonas he makes them out to be, or takes about 3 seconds to get rid of.
There was once I would watch a Yahtzee video, be thoroughly entertained, and actually agree wholehartedly, though he of course exagerate. I could watch a review, and based on what Yahtzee was ranting about, identify flaws in a game that would irritate me too, and thus include that in my decission about whether I'd buy it. That was what was so great about ZP. It was entertainment, but it was also sort of... right. You couldn't dispute what he said, because truly, those problems and annoyances did exist in the game. But now, it feels like he is grasping at straws, and while he still makes great jokes, the fact that they seemed based on extreme pedantics and him not bothering to properly learn the game, they all feel flat.

Common Yahtzee. I used to laugh out loud when I watched your reviews, but lately they've hardly made me smile. I know you're a clever man with great insight, and wit and intellect befitting that of a God. You can do this better.

Spawnen

Jan 20, 2011
How come everyone feels the need to point out the exact same things in every comment here?
We get it, they're from the netherlands, not the US.

Your funniest review in a while, Yahtzee.

Tarmon'gaidin

Jan 15, 2009
Bit of a fail at the begining there Yahtzee. Ranting about the US of A while the game was made by dutch people from a dutch company located in Holland.
Apart from that I couldn't agree with you more about this one.

secretsantaone

Mar 9, 2009
Therumancer said:
secretsantaone said:
[
Well done for not reading my post at all.

Firstly, most of the things you listed aren't supportive of facist regimes, quite the opposite in fact.

Secondly, the Helghast are specifically portrayed to be similar to Nazis, from the uniforms to the German sounding name. It's all fine and dandy talking about the British empire, I'm no apologist, I know the empire was brutal, but it was not in anyway Nazi Germany, nor was it particularly facist, and the point is that the British are portraying the side they fought so hard against. It's like making a game based around the American revolution where the French fight for independance from the Americans.

Finally, are you seriously saying that because 'V for Vendetta' and 'Warhammer 40K' Britain is now asssociated with facism to the general audience? Really?
Jesus christ snip for wall of text

Now to tell the truth, I'm not that offended by all this. I mean they have to have some sort of voice don't they? I just don't understand why they would think British accents would be a good idea for villains they're attempting to build up as Space Nazis.

You're also arguing batshit insane things.

Firstly I never said the Nazis weren't effective, I said that they were facist and completely different to colonial Britain. It's bizarre you're even arguing about this. You then go off with a paragraph patronising me about the history of the Nazis then saying that Hitler was 99% right. Jesus Christ, I know he's been built up to be the devil by propaganda but if you think 99% of his actions and speeches were acceptable by even contemparary standards you're either delusional or an extreme right-winger. You then end with a completely unrelated conclusion where you attempt to argue that the 40k marines look just as much like Nazis as the Helghast. It's alright saying that they have elements of Nazi Germany. The thing is, the Helghast are actually fully designed around the Nazis. Have you seen their flag? Jesus, if you read the history of them it directly parallels the story of Nazi Germany.

You then follow it by saying that V for Vendetta and Judge Dredd justified a facist regime when the real point of them was to say it's so easy to sit back and let yourself become facist when confronted with a disaster/war/depression. I can understand how you might have got confused with Judge Dredd, but with V for Vendetta it's the ENTIRE FUCKING POINT.

You then go on to argue that typical British hero is a jaded cynical dickhead. With no evidence to back it up. There's no such thing as a 'typical British hero' probably because BRITAIN LIKE EVERY COUNTRY PUTS OUT A TON OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF FICTION. Seriously, if you really HAD to define a typical British hero, it would be an average guy caught up in extraodinary circumstances, which pretty much sums up 50% of all heroes. If you're really going to go down to it, 40K was way more popular in the U.S than in the UK which obviously means the U.S must be obsessed with facism by your logic. Britain puts out just as much grimdark cynical facist media as it does media about comedy gangsters in London, light-hearted sitcoms, historical dramas or Hugh Grant trying to get his leg over some girl.

I highly doubt if you asked the average non-Brit for some British stereotypes they'd respond with facist immoral Nazis.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
SickBritKid said:
Yahtzee, with all due respect, China will buy Europe before it buys America. Europe's cheaper!
Yeah, but how much money does Europe owe to China?

Starker

Mar 17, 2011
I think the reason Yahtzee loves trolling americans so much, is that nobody else gets quite so offended as they do.

I'd love him to make jokes about my country, but I doubt he could even find it on a map. You know... him being an american and all.

Rickyvantof

May 6, 2009
Uhm, why is Yatzee blaming America for making the Hellghast British?
Killzone 3 was developped in The Netherlands...

Goody

Jan 2, 2011
Starker said:
I think the reason Yahtzee loves trolling americans so much, is that nobody else gets quite so offended as they do.

I'd love him to make jokes about my country, but I doubt he could even find it on a map. You know... him being an american and all.
I see what you did there, but I still feel the need to say, he's British and living in Australia

Rickyvantof

May 6, 2009
Littlee300 said:
Ekonk said:
...You do know this game was made by the Dutch, not by Americans, yeah?
Yahtzee would never pass up a chance to make fun of Americans, even if he has to lie to us for it.
Honsestly, he could have made at least original jokes about the Dutch. Him hating on America is getting kind of old.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Longshot said:
bit_crusherrr said:
Yahtzee gets it wrong again. Most PS3 shooters, infact all I've played (COD:W@W, Black Ops, Killzone 2, MAG, Uncharted 2 and so on) use R1/L1 for shooting and aiming, you can also change the controls so R3 isn't aim in the options. Doe's he even bother paying any attention to the games he plays now? In the DCUO review he complained that the targeting system switches targets randomly as he moves the mouse, he clearly didn't pay attention to the part of the tutorial that tells you how to lock targets. It just looks like he's finding any excuse to rag on a game without checking if it's a valid complaint.

One more thing, I'm pretty sure Killzone is made by the Dutch.
You know, this is the feeling I have got from ZP lately. sure, I know that ZP is first and foremost entertainment, but I like his rants ebtter when there is some truth to it. This, and many of the latest review, rag on pedantic trivialities that are either not nearly as commonas he makes them out to be, or takes about 3 seconds to get rid of.
There was once I would watch a Yahtzee video, be thoroughly entertained, and actually agree wholehartedly, though he of course exagerate. I could watch a review, and based on what Yahtzee was ranting about, identify flaws in a game that would irritate me too, and thus include that in my decission about whether I'd buy it. That was what was so great about ZP. It was entertainment, but it was also sort of... right. You couldn't dispute what he said, because truly, those problems and annoyances did exist in the game. But now, it feels like he is grasping at straws, and while he still makes great jokes, the fact that they seemed based on extreme pedantics and him not bothering to properly learn the game, they all feel flat.

Common Yahtzee. I used to laugh out loud when I watched your reviews, but lately they've hardly made me smile. I know you're a clever man with great insight, and wit and intellect befitting that of a God. You can do this better.
^ This.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Ugh last i checked a lot of ps3 games have the r1 buttons as shoot. I think i've had two games that had r2 has the trigger.

Anyways i'm gonna go out and buy killzone 3. Seriously... minus all the fancy gadgets which everyone should have guessed was going to be shit.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
The whole Killzone business reminds me of Starship Troopers: another Dutch stab at American foreign politics.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
secretsantaone said:
[

Now to tell the truth, I'm not that offended by all this. I mean they have to have some sort of voice don't they? I just don't understand why they would think British accents would be a good idea for villains they're attempting to build up as Space Nazis.

You're also arguing batshit insane things.

Firstly I never said the Nazis weren't effective, I said that they were facist and completely different to colonial Britain. It's bizarre you're even arguing about this. You then go off with a paragraph patronising me about the history of the Nazis then saying that Hitler was 99% right. Jesus Christ, I know he's been built up to be the devil by propaganda but if you think 99% of his actions and speeches were acceptable by even contemparary standards you're either delusional or an extreme right-winger. You then end with a completely unrelated conclusion where you attempt to argue that the 40k marines look just as much like Nazis as the Helghast. It's alright saying that they have elements of Nazi Germany. The thing is, the Helghast are actually fully designed around the Nazis. Have you seen their flag? Jesus, if you read the history of them it directly parallels the story of Nazi Germany.

You then follow it by saying that V for Vendetta and Judge Dredd justified a facist regime when the real point of them was to say it's so easy to sit back and let yourself become facist when confronted with a disaster/war/depression. I can understand how you might have got confused with Judge Dredd, but with V for Vendetta it's the ENTIRE FUCKING POINT.

You then go on to argue that typical British hero is a jaded cynical dickhead. With no evidence to back it up. There's no such thing as a 'typical British hero' probably because BRITAIN LIKE EVERY COUNTRY PUTS OUT A TON OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF FICTION. Seriously, if you really HAD to define a typical British hero, it would be an average guy caught up in extraodinary circumstances, which pretty much sums up 50% of all heroes. If you're really going to go down to it, 40K was way more popular in the U.S than in the UK which obviously means the U.S must be obsessed with facism by your logic. Britain puts out just as much grimdark cynical facist media as it does media about comedy gangsters in London, light-hearted sitcoms, historical dramas or Hugh Grant trying to get his leg over some girl.

I highly doubt if you asked the average non-Brit for some British stereotypes they'd respond with facist immoral Nazis.
It's like this, nothing I have said is remotely "batshit insane" it's simply the way it is. You can argue technicalities all you want, the bottom line is there is no answer your going to accept. The bottom line is it's a perfectly reasonable set up and set of origins for a group of bad guys in science fiction. No worse than any one of dozens of situation where The American Goverment has been turned into a group of nazi-like bad guys, or an oppressive stalinist regime, with people pointing towards things we've products both in and outside of fiction to support the hypothetical possibility. The bottom line is you don't like the fact that the British are the bad guys.

... and yes, for the record I am right wing on most things (but it's by no means universal). Hitler's economic policies and predictions of where the world was going were absolute genius. The overwhelming majority of the world agreed with me, and that's why he was the toast of the planet and a global man of the year. That is why what happened was so scary. It really was that 1% of what he believed that caused things to turn out like they did. The lesson to be learned from Hitler is that it's not these brutal, insane-seeming leaders that you need to watch out for, it's those charismatic ones who seem incredibly reasonable, and that everyone seems to like. People love to throw "Hitler" accusations at leaders they don't like, when in reality that accusation is most appropriatly thrown at the ones that they DO like or seem to have a huge following or the chance to assemble one. It's a warning about letting one man obtain too much power, no matter how ingenius, or right he might be.

As far as British fiction goes, well, just because you don't like the answer doesn't make it wrong. When the question "why" comes up, don't shoot the messenger even if you think that the reasons are faulty. Obviously someone came up with the idea, and it has enough support for there to be a franchise that has now lasted three games. Your argueing against something that has already happened, so points about why it never should have happened are kind of pointless because it did, and apparently people can see The British in the role of the bad guys just as much as the USA, Russia, Germany, China, or other groups. If you can present the US as Nazis in dark future fiction, there is no reason why you can't justify it with the Brits to the same extent. You can say "but, your differant, you actually have those aspects. We don't!" well, that same thing can be said right back. Pretty much every country that fought the Nazis has been shown turning into them in some work of fiction at some point, albiet some are far more popular targets for that (like the US) than others.

-

As far as "V For Vendetta" goes, actually the point was that neither freedom or totalitarianism are entirely bad. In the actual graphic novel, Mr. Susan is actually far more of a good guy than "V" is. The society is also functional, with most people being safe, happy, and provided for. It's not like it was in the movie version. What's more a lot of the bad things done by the goverment were actually done by V, because one of the twists is that he has hacked into and taken control of the supercomputer that is being used to run the show. A big part of it was that just because V claims to be an anarchist freedom fighter does NOT mean he was right. It's actually pretty balanced overall, and THAT was the point. It was hardly a man fighting against an Orwellian regime, it was a revenge tale, perpetrated by a guy who really didn't care all that much who he hurt.

With "Judge Dredd", again there is no confusion there. It's made perfectly clear that it's not a situation where "it's easy to fall into these patterns in an extreme situation". It's a situation where those patterns are the only things allowing humanity to continue to exist, there are literally no viable alternatives.

I think it goes back to the "Judge Dredd In Oz" storyline ages ago (Australia) but one of the parts of the concept was that the Judges at one point had a massive debate on whether or not they should genetically alter people into subservience in order to main control and ensure survivial. They opted not to (though there was a rogue who wound up being the major bad guy of the storyline), the current situation being viewed as the lesser of evils.

The point being that the regime present in those stories is much like the one present in "Warhammer 40k" where no matter how bad things might be, or how brutal the authorities are, it's all justified every time the sun comes up another day and there are people to see it. Dredd is a straightforward hero, as opposed to a villain, because he's actually fair for the enviroment he exists in and does what needs to be done to protect people at the expense of intense personal danger. It's also noteworthy that someone who "liberated" the people from the tyranny of the Judges would probably see Humanity die out within a year (and I believe that has been mentioned).

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
Wow, people are getting really pissy about this Dutch/America thing. Instead of joining the rant all I'll say is this game was clearly designed with American audiences in mind, just look at the ISA, all that oorah*/my guns is my second penis/swearing every second word malarky. I'm British myself and my concern isn't that my country is portrayed as an evil empire (who would? The Helghast are pretty sweet) It's that all the above mentioned bollocks is how the rest of the world see's you and so far no one in the thread has objected to it.

*While off topic there is one thing I will rant about however is the Oorah thing. What the hell does that even mean? At least the equally cringe-worthy "Semper Fi" has some meaning. Oorah sounds like the noise someone makes while constipated moments before and after a tricky poo. Jesus, during CoD4 I wasn't sure if my allies needed backup or more fibre.

Muggizz

May 24, 2009
The sad thing is that escapist offers this high qualety entertainment that you would not get from any other website, and when people want to see a killzone 3 review they will go to youtube and get some "everything is perfect with this game IGN review" and totaly miss the oppurtunity to watch someone who acually points out some faults.