Zero Punctuation: Killzone 3

Son of Detroit

Sep 25, 2010
Starker said:
I think the reason Yahtzee loves trolling americans so much, is that nobody else gets quite so offended as they do.

I'd love him to make jokes about my country, but I doubt he could even find it on a map. You know... him being an american and all.
lol yeah right. Yahtzee knows how xenophobic the escapist gets towards North America. This is just a rare failed attempted at preaching to the choir.

RockyMotion

Oct 28, 2010
Didn't play Killzone 3 yet, only Killzone 2. And probably won't buy it because I'm tired of playing war FPS's. But I seem to be the only one pleased with Killzone's controls :(
COD protagonists run and jump fast like hell for who is carrying soldier gear and they aim their guns as lightly as if they're made from plastic. They're almost like Halo's spartans except for the high-jumping feature. What the hell, are they supposed to be super-soldiers?

That's why I like KZ2's more realistic controls. The protagonist moves slower, more like a real guy burdened by the weight of his gear. The camera shakes when he sprints, throws a grenade, does a melee attack, or gets hit. I realize this must kill the fun for some, but in my opinion it helps the game's gritty atmosphere a great deal.

I heard Killzone 3's controls were more light tough, to please a greater deal of audience.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
I dread the possibility that Yahtzee might one day do Goldeneye because:
a). it's on Wii, which is like having four strikes against it before he even puts in the disc,
2). cover-based shooter, but a lot of your cover gets shot away
d). it's difficult to see and shoot enemies at range, but they seem able to hit any square inch of you not in cover from a half-mile off, even on the disney difficulty setting.

Which is a shame because I enjoy the game a lot.

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
"Killzone decided to be bolder then that and changed it to R1, which I think would be better suited to a game where you stand behind someone and Tweak their nipples", sorry I just noticed no one quoted that :D

But honestly, Thumbstick for aiming? Or your head always magically floating on the top of cover? Its bad enough to have to be forced to listen to a borish storyline, but with these amatuer mistakes coming from a rich gaming company, just goes to show you can't rely on big name video companies to produce quality work. I suppose we have to rely more on indie games, which I've never been a fan of, at least they still put some heart into and can come up with something unique rather then the same shite.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
RazzleDazzle102 said:
Killzone 1,2,2.5,3..... all boring and all trying way to hard to be like every other shooter and now they (meaning Sony) have the most intriguing "sarcastic finger quotes" add campaign dude since Tom Carvel in the 1980's.
Btw.... Yahtzee is the best reviewer ever, evur, everrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!
My God your post hurt my eyes (and brain) a bit.

Quick things:
-I prefer R1 for shooters because the floppy triggers on the PS3 are terrible.

-Great looking game, but the story in KZ3 is really really terrible. FPS games usually don't have the most riveting stories, but still...

-Multiplayer is pretty much the only reason to pick this game up. It's fun to run around and heal people/build turrets/summon mortar strikes/disguise yourself as the enemy.

If you bought the game expecting the greatest campaign ever, you will be sorely disappointed.

EDIT

Longshot said:
bit_crusherrr said:
Yahtzee gets it wrong again. Most PS3 shooters, infact all I've played (COD:W@W, Black Ops, Killzone 2, MAG, Uncharted 2 and so on) use R1/L1 for shooting and aiming, you can also change the controls so R3 isn't aim in the options. Doe's he even bother paying any attention to the games he plays now? In the DCUO review he complained that the targeting system switches targets randomly as he moves the mouse, he clearly didn't pay attention to the part of the tutorial that tells you how to lock targets. It just looks like he's finding any excuse to rag on a game without checking if it's a valid complaint.

One more thing, I'm pretty sure Killzone is made by the Dutch.
You know, this is the feeling I have got from ZP lately. sure, I know that ZP is first and foremost entertainment, but I like his rants ebtter when there is some truth to it. This, and many of the latest review, rag on pedantic trivialities that are either not nearly as commonas he makes them out to be, or takes about 3 seconds to get rid of.
There was once I would watch a Yahtzee video, be thoroughly entertained, and actually agree wholehartedly, though he of course exagerate. I could watch a review, and based on what Yahtzee was ranting about, identify flaws in a game that would irritate me too, and thus include that in my decission about whether I'd buy it. That was what was so great about ZP. It was entertainment, but it was also sort of... right. You couldn't dispute what he said, because truly, those problems and annoyances did exist in the game. But now, it feels like he is grasping at straws, and while he still makes great jokes, the fact that they seemed based on extreme pedantics and him not bothering to properly learn the game, they all feel flat.

Common Yahtzee. I used to laugh out loud when I watched your reviews, but lately they've hardly made me smile. I know you're a clever man with great insight, and wit and intellect befitting that of a God. You can do this better.
I've been noticing this too. Nowadays it just seems like he is not reading the manual/skipping the tutorial just to find something to complain about. I don't really blame him, comedy is hard. However if you have to stretch for it like this, maybe you should just take the week off to relax and get back on your game.

endplanets

Mar 18, 2011
Oh come one, the general cliques is that Americans are ignorant and arrogant, but here Yahtzee says that Americans made Killzone 3, but we can give credit to the Dutch on this one. Insert a joke about Yahtzee projecting onto the US. And while Britain was critical to success in WW2, come on, really, the USA didn't come crawling to the UK to beg for help on either front. I do however remember Churchill saying that the only time he actually thought he was going to lose the war was when both of us were losing the battle of the Atlantic, which was when the USA was sending supplies across the ocean. Such ignorance and arrogance is unbecoming of a non clique American.
Also, great review as always.

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
its ridiculus what the consoles are doing with motion controls, on PC there is razor who cares to develop the best tech of it all, so now we hav the final proof that you have to be impotent not to make your major series for PC(but cant the razor make it for the consoles too? O_O).

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
Gotta say thats your best work in some time man. Loved it, still giggling and the singular reason I never got into kill zone, the controls, so I totally related.

Nice one.

BreakdownBoy

Jan 21, 2011
Goody said:
Starker said:
I think the reason Yahtzee loves trolling americans so much, is that nobody else gets quite so offended as they do.

I'd love him to make jokes about my country, but I doubt he could even find it on a map. You know... him being an american and all.
I see what you did there, but I still feel the need to say, he's British and living in Australia
It's just funny that America is the 'hero' in most games or movies (because their the core gaming/ movie going market of the world). But America lost the whole moral high ground when they became the only 1st world nation that has been boming thrid world countries in the last 10 years.

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
From the description, "I.S.A." is the futuristic way to spell "U.N.".

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
BreakdownBoy said:
It's just funny that America is the 'hero' in most games or movies (because their the core gaming/ movie going market of the world). But America lost the whole moral high ground when they became the only 1st world nation that has been boming thrid world countries in the last 10 years.
I note that you have to make the cutoff point merely the last decade in order to neatly eliminate Russia (bombing Georgia), most of NATO (bombing most of the Balkans), Turkey (bombing the Kurds --- but then, most Euros don't count Turkey as a nation, let alone first-world, since it was the Ottoman Empire), et cetera and so forth. Oh, and of course let's not forget that a bunch of you hoity-toity-type nations with your noses currently in the air have been doing bombing runs right alongside ours (albeit with a lot fewer planes and thus a lot less effectively).

And now we have Britain and France wanting to enforce a no-fly zone over Libya, which kind of evidently would require bombing airfields that got a bit too uppity, and oh look the Obama Administration which was elected largely to repair America's image as international bullies doesn't want to go bombing that third-world nation and you blokes seem a bit miffed that we won't do it WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE US DOING IT FOR YOU.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
FoOd77 said:
PunkRex said:
Im English and I love that were the bad guys, their always the best characters anyway. Who would you rather be Bruce Willis or Alan Rickman? Mufasa or Scar? I could proberly find more but my crumpets are ready, I bid you good day.
Hwuh...? Who in their right mind wouldn't want to be John McClane? Scar I can understand but... Huh.

On topic, Killzone never really interested me, I always got the "LOOK AT HOW GRIM AND DARK WE ARE" kind of vibe, and there is only so many grey and brown color pallettes I can take. It gets kind of depressing.
Note why I said Bruce Willis, I dont think anyone heres in dispute of how awesome McClane is... not to mention his man scream when he slides down stuff is the definition of manlyness.

As for the game, Private Bleaks trek through Grey town its never really appealed to me, im a man all about the asthetics and its impressive how "meh" Killzone looks.

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
samaugsch said:
SickBritKid said:
Yahtzee, with all due respect, China will buy Europe before it buys America. Europe's cheaper!
Yeah, but how much money does Europe owe to China?
Not as much as Europe owes America, who will pay off its debt by selling Europe to China.

[zonking great]

Aug 20, 2008
Yahtzee sold out, plain and simple.
He now does the same thing over and over again (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/6.270997.10428617) and gets paid for it. Easy money, huh Yahtzee? It's not like the animation takes a lot of skill, either. Come up with some bad puns to go with every game and you're done. Review done. Yeah, Yahtzee, you've lost your edge. I'll still watch your videos but more out of some sense of lingering loyalty to a once brilliant critic than of honest interest in what you have to say about a game.