Zero Punctuation: Killzone: Shadow Fall

Lerola

Feb 23, 2013
I propose for the asterisk to be put on the description on every next gen, I mean, current gen title so we can't forget about it.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Awww, man. That bit at the end, with the zip-lining from the moon into the imp was funny and all, but I really feel like this was a missed opportunity for a Spec Ops: The Line joke. Like, zip-lining down into hell and meeting Captain Walker down in the flames.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hilarious episode. I literally laughed out loud a couple times.

Also, preventative war against pancakes is necessary lest they get first strike capabilities from the toaster.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Just a quick question about the whole not liking the current console generation due to lack of backwards compatibility thing. Were people really prepared to pay the likely $600 - $800 for one that did have native backwards compatibility?

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
But Yahtzee! In the sequel the clitoris pad could be used to write passive aggressive post-it notes to your Helgan roommates for a variety of reasons! This is next gen after all. We could have epic post-it battles over who didn't clean the litter box or who ate the leftover roast beef sandwich from the takeout box. Extra points would be awarded for creativity; you'd earn score multipliers for sticking post-its to TV screens or light switches or the jizzum stains on the ceiling above your roommate's bed.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Griffolion said:
Just a quick question about the whole not liking the current console generation due to lack of backwards compatibility thing. Were people really prepared to pay the likely $600 - $800 for one that did have native backwards compatibility?
Given the fact that the current Xbone would probably still be more expensive then a PS4 with backwards compatibility (it wouldn't be that expensive to do), people would probably be more willing to pay up given that there are actual games to play.

Just remember that the PS3 had backwards compatibility for PS1 games right from the start, and there was a limited run model which had ps2 compatibility which was about the same price as the regular PS3 was.

though to be honest 600$ for a PS4 that plays PS1, 2 and 3 games perfectly fine would be something I would probably buy.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Wow... Actually a pretty positive review (by Yahtzee's standard anyway). I have Killzone: Shadow Fall, because it comes with pretty much every unit of PS4, but I haven't play it yet, thanks to timesinks like AC IV or NBA 2k14, as well as couple of interesting titles on PC/older consoles, but now I might just give it a try...

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Kinda makes me curious on how the "*But it doesn't justify forcing us to buy a clunky new console with no backwards compatibility." quote can be worked into a Zero Punctuation T-shirt. Maybe two different T-Shirt designs; one that has "I heart X-Box One*" on the front and another that reads "I heart PS4*" with the full quote on the back of both shirts.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't PS3 emulation for the PS4, like, impossible (or at least really really hard) because of architectural reasons?

Not relieving Sony from blame or anything - creating a console with insides that are relatively bonkers probably wasn't the best choice - But it's not really something they can help now, and PSNow seems like a reasonable enough alternative.

On the other hand, I don't think the bone has that much of an excuse.
-------------------

Capcha: Brand Lift. Oh, fuck you, solve media. I'm not being biased, I'm being observational.

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
That was surprisingly positive from Yahtzee. I've heard far harsher things about this game from other people.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Hutzpah Chicken said:
What happened to Spunk-gargle-wee-wee? It's a very good phrase to sum up things.
It's a terrible phrase. Most likely explains why he doesn't use it much anymore.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Griffolion said:
Of the three consoles, the PS4 is the one I'm most interested in, but only because of the exclusives that I wouldn't be able to get on my PC.

But after hearing it will not be backward compatible with the PS3 (which I never had, but always wanted to own), I might as well just get a used PS3 and the games I wanted to play.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
BX3 said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't PS3 emulation for the PS4, like, impossible (or at least really really hard) because of architectural reasons?

Not relieving Sony from blame or anything - creating a console with insides that are relatively bonkers probably wasn't the best choice - But it's not really something they can help now, and PSNow seems like a reasonable enough alternative.

On the other hand, I don't think the bone has that much of an excuse.
-------------------

Capcha: Brand Lift. Oh, fuck you, solve media. I'm not being biased, I'm being observational.

It's pretty much impossible, but they could pretty easily have backwards compatibility by simply having the Cell as a secondary processor, but that would've made the console more expensive.

Then again how much more expensive would it be really? They could've even made 2 different versions of the console, one cheaper without BC and one more expensive with.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well the 'but' joke is certainly much better than a sarcastic remark every few paragraphs.

I thoroughly enjoyed the episode, and I didn't expect Killzone to really impress much.

So we have:
Ryse, the bland, repetitive MMS style but in Rome game.
Knack, the bland, repetitive, Crash Bandicoot style without the excitement and fun game.

Dead Rising 3, the slightly fun but dumbed down Zombie killfest.
Killzone: Shadow Fall, the slightly fun but restrictive shooter.

Hutzpah Chicken said:
What happened to Spunk-gargle-wee-wee? It's a very good phrase to sum up things.
Would Killzone come under Spunk-gargle-wee-wee? I mean from what gameplay I've seen and this review it doesn't seem like a schizophrenic overly linear modern military shooter. Killzone has always been more like Gears of War with a dash of Halo (with it's own story obviously), so it would be weird for it to delve into SGWW nature.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
Evonisia said:
Well the 'but' joke is certainly much better than a sarcastic remark every few paragraphs.

I thoroughly enjoyed the episode, and I didn't expect Killzone to really impress much.

So we have:
Ryse, the bland, repetitive MMS style but in Rome game.
Knack, the bland, repetitive, Crash Bandicoot style without the excitement and fun.

Dead Rising 3, the slightly fun but dumbed down Zombie killfest.
Killzone: Shadow Fall, the slightly fun but restrictive shooter.

Hutzpah Chicken said:
Would Killzone come under Spunk-gargle-wee-wee? I mean from what gameplay I've seen and this review it doesn't seem like a schizophrenic overly linear modern military shooter. Killzone has always been more like Gears of War with a dash of Halo (with it's own story obviously), so it would be weird for it to delve into SGWW nature.
Ehh, perhaps. I'm too cheap to buy a game for more than $10, and it doesn't seem to be a game that I'd want (because it doesn't justify blah blah blah). This is a PS4 exclusive, isn't it?