Zero Punctuation: Kinect

Diegolomac

Jan 28, 2009
Awww, Child of Eden and Rise of Nightmares? What about Fruit Ninja Kinect? That sounds more like the kind of stuff Yahtzee would like.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Yahtzee is 6 foot 5, damn. I'm 6 foot 2 and I already tower over my friends.

More to the point, I kind of suspected that Yahtzee would eventually pick up a Kinect- but this still took a long time to materialize.
Also, Rise of Nightmares is a thing? Despite being marketed like crazy a few months back, I've never seen a game fall off the collective radar so quickly.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I cracked up at the "Well hello there, Councilor Troi" wanking scene (though I'm more of a Dr. Crusher fan myself).

disappointed

Sep 14, 2011
I can't help thinking motion controls will be brilliant in five to ten years when developers have got he hang of them. I remember playing Doom with the keyboard and thinking mouselook was only for crazy people. Clearly the keyboard is faster and more precise and if you want to turn 180 degrees, the mouse is an absolute nightmare. And as for those useless little joysticks they tacked onto the PS controller... what was that all about?

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Yahtzee is like the pope?

Well, from the way some fans treat him... :p

I knew he'd hate it, but still, it was funny. As always.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Using the controller for most the game and allowing you to use motion for secondary things that sounds a lot like what I've played on the Wii. And I've never that much trouble with the Kinect grated I've only played Kinect adventures but as long as I didn't cross my limbs over my body it read me fine.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
I can see where Yahtzee is going with the lack of feedback, but that could be argued with games that rely on a traditional controller/keyboard+mouse. That big knife thing in "Silent Hill 2" is a good example of how it bounces off the wall and the only "feedback" you may get is a rumble of the controller.

However, one problem I do believe Yahtzee pointed out well is that these motion controls are not very accurate when compared to traditional controllers. I recently picked up "Lego Harry Potter" for the DS and I'm really frustrated with how inaccurate the game is with my touch-screen commands. The core mechanics of the game are appealing and fun, but I'm not having an enjoyable experience if I have to fight with the bloody controls to tell the game what I'm doing.

Plus this doesn't seem like its versatile for a variety of gamers. Yahtzee kind of hints that this might not be enjoyable for a gamer that isn't very healthy (or meant for long-term gaming that we're used too). In my case with that "Lego Harry Potter", tracing out the spells or working with the mini-games were difficult for me because I'm LEFT-HANDED, not RIGHT-HANDED. Yet I can't re-map the controls to let me move around with my right-hand, or even bypass the bloody stylus controls.

I know comparing stylus/touch-screen controls to motion controls may not be accurate ("see wat I did ther?"), but this video really reminded me of my experience with that "Harry Potter" game.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This is what happens when you try and make sophisticated futuristic hardware for fifty bucks so you can run a profit off it.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
"I don't know if you've ever tried standing off balance for however long it takes to drive a very slow forklift down a narrow corridor..."

The forklifts at work are standing ones... and you have to stand on a peddle in order to turn off the safety an drive... So Kinect is like my work, essentially.

mrscott137

Apr 8, 2010
Anyone else notice there was two n's in Kinect at the start?
Anyway, the only other really good title he could have played in time would have been Dark Souls, and judging by the Demons Souls review, that ain't going to happen- so shut yer gob all yous who keep tellin' 'im to play all these battlefields and batman games :p

Bane_Star

Dec 4, 2008
The Only Time I found a Kinnect to be fun: At A party, where most people were in the kitchen/hall/lounge chatting, but the Main room (a massive 6x9m space) had a big BIG screen TV (like 2.5x1.5m) we put tape down on the floor where the kinnect zone was, and laughed at each other trying to play the different levels of some adventure game (white water rafting/cloud riding/fish bashing/roller coater riding)

Single player//small room// small TV = WASTE OF TIME.

Aug 1, 2010
Fun review, though unsurprising.

God I hope he trashes Arkham City next week...

canadamus_prime said:
Wow nobody got banned this week, that's certainly a first

[sub]tee hee hee see what I did there[/sub]
[image/]http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/000/681/what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg[/IMG]

Nice one, though.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
C117 said:
Combining ordinary controllers with Kinect? Let the controllers do all the moving and navigating, and leave Kinect with all the secondary movements? Now THAT'S a thought...
I'm not good at detecting sarcasm on the internet, and therefore don't know what you're referring to or if you're not doing that (I can at least tell that the last sentence was purely sarcastic, I'm talking about the whole thing). That was the disclaimer. Now for my own sarcasm.

I agree, if only we has some sort of controller-based console that (when done right) saves motion control only for the areas for which it is suited. And maybe we could give it a hilarious name that starts with W, and only has three letters in it. Or starts with an M and has four. It's really too bad that no one has capitalized on this idea.

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
So...you want me to buy a new piece of equipment for the chance that some game might implement a system for waving to people or brushing curtains away? I am not sure that the Kinect really has any potential in gaming until it becomes more responsive.

It's going to have to do way more than just "add something" to my gameplay experience for me to actually want to buy it.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Sansha said:
Unexpected, but I knew Ben had a problem with the Kinect for a while. I'm actually glad he made this, because I've always been wanting to see his thoughts in full on it.

It really does sound like gimmicky bullshit, but I don't get his problem with the lack of immersion or feedback. Not every game has to grab you by the scrotum and yank you into its world. I think the Wii and Kinect are supposed to keep you grounded in reality with the whole 'lol im playing a video game!' feel.
While I understand that immersion is not necessary for all games, it's a requirement for horror games. No one wants a "lol, I'm playing a video game" experience when looking for a horror game.

That sounds like a design flaw from the dev.

I hear the connect does well with sports simulators though.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I was hoping for Dark Souls, but I have a feeling you'll save that for a lull.
Nice episode, but questionable games. Would have liked to hear more about the Kinect in stead of the games, given the name of the episode.

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
Well for doing movements with a controller and "other things" by kinetic... couldn't you just put a "Dance-Dance-Revolution" board on the ground while playing?

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
I think the problem with motion controls is that they are not being used to define a new paradigm of interaction with the game(i.e. a set of movements and actions that are intrinsic to the gameplay and game mechanics). Instead, they are just being used to map same old standard button pushes to some arbitrary unique gesture(this is so each button push is uniquely identifiable). The movements are not designed as a continuous, choreographed flow from one set of postures and movements to another. Essentially, the motions need to matched with gameplay and game mechanics such to create a sort of smooth, precise dance, as opposed to an epileptic fit.

One could look at games like Dance Dance Revolution and argue that what I'm talking about is garbage because there was a dancing game with motion controls, but when you go through the motions, you like like a perplexed elephant stamping about with concrete blocks for feet. But, the problem with such games is they were still designed in the button-pushing paradigm and not designed with a more kinesthetic paradigm.

What I'm talking about would be a game where the progression of motion, postures, and gestures would look more like a smooth ballet or practicing of connected katas. The entire game would be an act of learning how to connect the motions and learning which motions, postures, and gestures naturally transition into each other such to create a singular, practiced flow of motion. Precision of angles, speed, and timing would all be important to the movements. Such a game could not only be entertaining but also provide great exercise, as well as improve dexterity and coordination. One could use such games to do things like actually learning how to dance, learning some martial arts, or, as mentioned, just engaging in some fun exercise(imagine a sci-fi space shooter with some rhythmically pumping trance or electronica that you have to actually dance to control, and I mean really dance, not the elephant-stomping DDR-style dancing).

So, in summary, motion controls generally suck because they are being used as simple mappings to traditional button-pushes rather than being used as the intrinsic new paradigm of control that they actually represent. One has to think outside the very small box of current traditional mainstream game design.