Zero Punctuation: Kinect

Aug 1, 2010
daxterx2005 said:
MrDeckard said:
God I hope he trashes Arkham City next week...
Same, not because I dislike the game, because I want to see batman themed pictures thru out the review :)
Though I DID somewhat dislike it, this is also a good reason!

Batman pictures make everything better.

:D

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Funny when I used the Kinect everything worked fine. Well when I played Kinect Sports everything operated like it should. We (me and my father) played the harry potter game for the kinect and it was a disaster. We experienced that worn out shoulder problem yathzee got. The kinect doesn't have very many games available for it but he certainly chose one of the worse ones. Then again the best kinect games are more or less wii play clones So I dunno.

I liked the kinect more than the wii the sensor was easier to deal with seeing as my body was the object it was looking for and not some ditzy remote I had to point in a specific spot to know that I was there.

Did yathzee even calibrate his kinect?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I just laughed so hard where the Griffin turned around and it had a mustache!
Bloody Brilliant! :D

Polite Sage

Feb 22, 2011
Yatzhee reminded me... I would buy Kinect if these things were actually possible.
But alas, Microsoft (and definetely Sony too) would never allow Adult titles on their consoles... Shame because I think this kind of motion controller use would revolutionize the ero-gaming market. Actually I think ero-gaming is one of the only genres where motion controllers would actually make sense.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
So Yahtzee made the same observation about the Kinect's space requirements that Paul Saunders did a year ago [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-news-network/2187-Room-to-Grow] (with followup [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-news-network/2262-More-Room-to-Grow]).

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
Shameless said:
Well, that wasn't as harsh as I thought it would be.
Same here. Anyway, it really does seem to be best for the Kinect to perform supplementary functions. I played Child of Eden, and it was good. I used the Kinect for the whole game, and yes, there were several instances of it fucking up, but otherwise it was effective.

brinvixen

Mar 3, 2011
I definitely agree that the Kinect is biased against tall people. I'm only 5'8" myself (which is not very short, I know, but is short in comparison to Yahtzee's hulking 6'5" frame) and only after fusing with the back wall of the living room did I (just!) manage for Kinect to read my body -- and even then my feet are usually cut off. Not a problem at first, until the game requires me to move around. I can only imagine the frustration the taller (than me) folk have. I've only ever played Dance Central with the Kinect (because a dancing game is best suited for a full body tracking device, and every other game should have some kind of tangible controller - period) and I can definitely see the advantage that my shorter friends have over taller me in trying to get the game to read my movements. And that's a game that involves a lot of moving -- its a shame that even the games with the simpler movements still won't read a taller person as well.

Clearly Kinect is intended for children. Not even because its a gimmicky motion control system trying to grab the "we-too-are targeting-children-and-families" group that the Wii went after, or that it lacks challenging games that would be more suited for the "we-take-gaming-seriously" type. Basically, if the only people who can use your system best are five feet and under, you're targeting a very specific group of people.

Controllers don't discriminate. Ever. Just saying.

brinvixen

Mar 3, 2011
geizr said:
One could use such games to do things like actually learning how to dance, learning some martial arts, or, as mentioned, just engaging in some fun exercise(imagine a sci-fi space shooter with some rhythmically pumping trance or electronica that you have to actually dance to control, and I mean really dance, not the elephant-stomping DDR-style dancing).
This would be pretty cool. And to be honest, Dance Central does feel a lot like DANCING. DDR is obviously stupid (I've never liked it) but DC is damn near addicting. I don't know if you've ever played, but its really the only thing Kinect has going for it (and probably the only truly positive experience I've had with motion controls). Full body tracking makes a difference as oppose to "waggle waggle remote" and "stomp stomp on pad". Those commercials are cheesy, but it really is a fun experience. There's a challenge in nailing the moves and getting perfect scores, but there's also just shameless booty shaking fun to be had with friends. If nothing else, I'm glad the Kinect was made for that ONE game (and its upcoming sequels).

After that though, much like you said, motion controls can go fall in a ditch.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
brinvixen said:
Controllers don't discriminate. Ever. Just saying.
one of the reasons I am unlikely to ever own a Kinect.

I didn't know Yahztee and I were the same height, but I have a fairly small place to begin with. So either way, I'm boned. Either for my height, my inability to afford a place with a large space for Kinect (and I live in a town where real estate is at a premium) or both.

Plus, while I think Yahtzee's using the word "immersion" wrong, I really do enjoy sitting on my couch playing. If I'm REALLY feeling frisky, I break out Rock Band's drums and sit on a stool, instead.

While it's not intended for me (I don't desire to be active while gaming), there's some stuff I'd love to explore, but my height automatically precludes me.

It used to piss me off in arcades, too. Some of the cooler games had height/weight restrictions I couldn't meet.

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
I think Microsoft showcased an attachment to the Kinect that lowered the amount of room you needed to use the device at the last E3. Or perhaps I just imagined that in an attempt to salvage the idea.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
DolpinWacker64 said:
Seriously, the Kinect's recognition software is crap unless you stand WITHIN THE DESIGNATED AREA!
Isn't that a bit like saying your car's handling is crap unless you sit in the driver's seat?

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Wow nobody got banned this week, that's certainly a first

[sub]tee hee hee see what I did there[/sub]
Its funny because its not the first time, yout joke is invalid.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I honestly think that motion gaming has a place in gaming, the thing is that the technology needed isn't here yet.