Zero Punctuation: King's Quest: A Knight to Remember

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Not even Telltale are doing episodic right anymore. We should just abandon the concept, or release a new episode very week, instead of whenever the hell they feel like it.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
TB was more positive about the first episode. I might take a look at it. One day. In the future called 2016 or even 2017. As I never cared for the King's Quest series (or any of the Quest games) besides KQ8 - ironically the one called the worst because it wasn't a point-and-click and wasn't even called King's Quest 8 offically.

Also, why the hell did Yathzee use the GERMAN cover for the new King's Quest? Yes, that's the german one. I recognize both the format-info at the top left (which basically only says PC DVD nowerdays because nobody has anything else anymore) and the giant rating box in the lower left - and yes, they are that big and in various color.

Overhead

Apr 29, 2012
Didn't the company embezzle a load of money from a kickstarter to make the game or something?

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Overhead said:
Didn't the company embezzle a load of money from a kickstarter to make the game or something?
How can you embezzle money from Kickstarter to make a game? You can only embezzle money to NOT make a game if you promised a game.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Never played King's Quest. If it's anything like the Sierra games Yahtzee constantly harps about, I'd rather not.

Overhead

Apr 29, 2012
Thanatos2k said:
Overhead said:
How can you embezzle money from Kickstarter to make a game? You can only embezzle money to NOT make a game if you promised a game.
After a little googling it appears that a Kickstarter to develop a game called Hiveswap got 2.7 million and the person running it chose the The Odd Gentlemen to develop the game.

The Odd Gentlemen took the money, did did no work on what they'd been paid for and used the money to fund Kings Quest instead. There was an out of court settlement but someone spoke up about it and although they quickly deleted their blog post, it got seen and archived.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Never played King's Quest. If it's anything like the Sierra games Yahtzee constantly harps about, I'd rather not.
I wish. No, this is more like a Tell Tales product, only a little better actually.

The game has many lame QTEs like TWD and WAU, but it also has a couple clever puzzles, beside a whole bunch of very easy puzzles. If you can forgive the QTEs, it's a genuine, but low difficulty AG, that has some harder optional goals that make it a bit more challenging. Because some achievements are optional that makes them easier to miss, if you're not thinking.

Then the choices and consequences part of it is promising, because this episode does keep good track of some alternative solutions throughout the game and the devs show they can structure a game plot cleverly to make room for such alternative paths, while still reusing their assets.
Future episodes will tell.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I might pick that up, once they've proven they can stick to a release schedule and if the other episodes are good.

I love the idea of episodic gaming, but a lot of them take forever between updates(not even counting the year long gap between the first and second halves of broken age). Even Taletell seems to take forever and a day to put out new episodes lately. When they first started with Sam and Max, they'd be roughly a month between episodes, but I guess now it depends on how much they like a particular franchise(The GoT episodes are coming out much faster then Tales from the Borderlands, I've noticed).

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Overhead said:
Thanatos2k said:
Overhead said:
After a little googling it appears that a Kickstarter to develop a game called Hiveswap got 2.7 million and the person running it chose the The Odd Gentlemen to develop the game.

The Odd Gentlemen took the money, did did no work on what they'd been paid for and used the money to fund Kings Quest instead. There was an out of court settlement but someone spoke up about it and although they quickly deleted their blog post, it got seen and archived.
Ah, the old Aliens Colonial Marines Gearbox trick. Well, good to know not to ever give any money to this developer.

Carl Morris

Feb 19, 2015
It's weird that Yahtzee hates Sierra games, his own games have more of a Sierra vibe than a lucasarts one, I felt. Not to mention a Sierra engine clone behind them as well...