Zero Punctuation: L.A. Noire

XcessGAMR

Dec 20, 2007
Just finished it a few hours ago.
Yahtzee you charismatic stallion you've done it again
Particularly loved the Captain Scarlet reference and totally agree on the interview problems. Either way though this game damn good and I think anyone who's been on the edge as to whether or not they should buy this game should give it a go!

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
This game just wasn't for me, it was far to depressing, and even though you have a huge map you can't go into any of the buildings outside of the main storyline anyway.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
A fun rental but I?m glad I didn?t buy it.
I found the interrogations to be really unintuitive too. I?m trying to needle for some more info and my character starts foaming at the mouth. I thought the system would be more laddered but it felt more like a cutscene with a random ending.
And yes, while the characters certainly look more detailed, they don?t look any less creepy and inhuman.
I?m surprised Yhatzee didn?t mention the hand-holding or the Newspapers. Are they for anything or have I just not gotten to that part yet?

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
Dexter111 said:
After I saw "Brink" last week I knew it'll be L.A. Noire this one... but you're going to do Witcher 2 next week... right... right? It's not going to be some special E3 episode again? Or you're going to do both, amirite?
He's probably going to wait a week or two after E3 to do a video about it. That's how he usually works, giving the game/event time to sink in before deciding to rip it to shreds with a semi-automatic machete.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Robot crime detective...... *Sigh* Well I'll get a garbage bag for all the torn off limbs.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
fascinating...lol anyway, it's definitely something I wanna play...when I have time...which is now I suppose but when I find a way that's not buying or renting (for like 3 weeks) it cuz I'm spending wayy too much on games this summer x.X

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
plugav said:
ChildofGallifrey said:
I hate to be 'that guy', but Noire is the feminine form of the work, Noir being the masculine (he brought it up in the credit comments).
Sounds reasonable. But does it make sense in the game title? I thought it was supposed to be a reference to "film noir."
I think Los Angeles/L.A. is feminine, as are all cities in the French language, IIRC.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
CopperBoom said:
I do not know how much truth there is to this but I recall that the extra "e" was just a programming error they just went with...

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/01/rumour-la-noires-development-more-of-a-mess-than-wed-imagined-rockstar/
Wow, there's a fun piece of trivia.

Falseprophet said:
I think Los Angeles/L.A. is feminine, as are all cities in the French language, IIRC.
That would make sense, but it would also make the game's title translate as "Black L.A.," which seems a bit strange.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Is it just me, or does Yahtzee's depiction of Cole Phelps in this review look like Inspector Gadget?

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Like most other people my major complaint about L.A Noire is the fact that what you're doing most of the time doesn't matter, the shooting is fun sure, but if you die you get a game over and reload to your last checkpoint, so why the hell don't you just reload too your last checkpoint if you fuck up an interrogation so bad there's no way the guy could ever reasonably be charged with the crime?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wait... a flamethrower?

Really?

Someone enlighten me here, does that actually happen or was that just a joke?

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
HankMan said:
Why was ZP so late today? It's a...
*puts on sunglasses*
mystery
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH
I think your avatar really made the joke for me there.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
WanderingFool said:
I cant help but feel that Yahtzee will never find a game he loves... besides Saints Row 2...
And silent hill 2... and prince of persia... and batman arkham asylum.... and portal 1 & 2