Zero Punctuation: L.A. Noire

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Dexter111 said:
After I saw "Brink" last week I knew it'll be L.A. Noire this one... but you're going to do Witcher 2 next week... right... right? It's not going to be some special E3 episode again? Or you're going to do both, amirite?
I doubt he'll do The Witcher 2.

A. It's a sequel.
B. He didn't even make it through the first one.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I did that EXACT same thing with the guy's broken old glasses and the wife saying he just got a new pair. So I hit lie and now Cole is saying she killed her husband. What?! At least you can back out of a lie accusation if Cole starts spouting off about something you didn't want (and like it says in the video, you do eventually learn to pick lie first every time just to see if the person you're talking to changes the subject to a piece of evidence he's sure you don't have but you do). But if he does it for doubt, you're screwed. And then sometimes you pick "truth" and he accuses them of not being completely honest anyway! Why even label the options as "truth", "doubt", and "lie" if Cole's reaction is just going to be whatever he feels like doing?

And yeah, those cases where you have enough evidence to say that two different suspects might have done it but you know they both probably didn't suck. But too was surprised when I got chewed out for picking the wrong one, especially since the "wrong" one had slightly stronger evidence against him even though you know neither guy did it, so it makes more sense to pick him and then you get chewed out. And then of course, you do find out later than you were right about neither of them doing it. Yay.

Good game, but certainly room for improvement if they make an LA Noire 2.

robot slipper

Dec 29, 2010
Yay for the Space Quest box Yahtzee! Man, I grew up with those games. Though if anything LA Noire reminds me a bit of Gabriel Knight, being a detective thing and all.
I liked the game, but yeah RoboPhelps certainly needs to get a grip on his anger management, like when he yells at the landlady and calls her a old hag!

Mar 20, 2010
Akalabeth said:
Thrashgrinder said:
Well he didnt rip the game a new one. which means he liked it. so yeah
Were we watching the same review? He gave it a passing grade at best.

Regardless of what he says I won't be bothering with this game either. Rockstar games are pretty boring and the "story" aspects of the games are pretty weak.
Well if that's what you think, then that's what you think.

And i would recommend this game to you.

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
DragonLord Seth said:
Now I need to watch a LP of it :/
And it's about fucking time Yahtzee! I've had to wait 3 damn hours for this video!
Here ya go!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qFWQ2g64JY[/youtube]

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
robot_slipper said:
I liked the game, but yeah RoboPhelps certainly needs to get a grip on his anger management, like when he yells at the landlady and calls her a old hag!
That part was funny, especially so because the answer that involved calling her and old hag was the right one. And then your partner makes a couple comments about that outburst as the case goes on.

E-Penguin said:
DragonLord Seth said:
Now I need to watch a LP of it :/
And it's about fucking time Yahtzee! I've had to wait 3 damn hours for this video!
Here ya go!
You're doing it wrong. It's "{youtube=video ID only}". But with the proper brackets (why does this forum not support noparse?).

So like this:

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I agree with this review in many ways. Though the game itself is beautifully rendered, and the overarching story is definitely a catcher, I did notice the very similar plot from L.A. Confidential (incidentally being one of my favorite movies).
Still, R* made a good game and one I thoroughly have enjoyed. Hopefully DLC for it will be worth getting, maybe even GTA4-style side-stories.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
floppylobster said:
-Dragmire- said:
floppylobster said:
-Dragmire- said:
It is kind of hard to keep motivation in a case that will move on regardless of your decisions.
Please don't become a real detective then.

(Recaptcha was 'uzerep COPLAND'!)
Don't worry, the paperwork is too much of a turn off for me to consider it anyway... and I'm not a people person.
That, and every case you encounter moves on regardless of your decisions and it's very hard to keep motivated as cases pile up.

When I use the words 'move on' I'm not referring to the progression of time. What I am referring to is the progression of an interactive story that does not require any specific path to progress.

It's like playing Super Mario Bros where falling down a hole results in mario jumping back out commenting on how he shouldn't have jumped down in the first place.

I find failure less threatening in a game when you don't lose anything or get set back in any way. Why should I care about decisions I make if they progress the story in a similar way regardless of which ones I pick?

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
The final case was massively dissapointing. I was expecting an exciting fighting with the flame thrower guy. But it ended with basically a cutscene. That was really weak ending.

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
I have rather lost interest in this game. I'm about halfway through, and got bored enough to start watching netflix instead. For a "sandbox" game, I haven't felt any real urge to go exploring. I just found myself plowing through, and letting other people drive the whole time. This city just feels monotonous.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
When I first heard of this game and who was behind it (or at least partially behind it), I was expecting it to just be GTA, set in the 40's. Now having actually seen footage from the game I can say that I was pleasantly surprised.

CryoSynth

Jun 2, 2011
I didn't accuse the wife of lying about the glasses because there's a difference between lying and simply not knowing the truth.

I really think the point of the lying accusation going over-the-top is simply to show what a mistake you made in your assumption. It's too easy to let you off with calmly telling her you found the old glasses and her explaining that she didn't know - that gives you your answer still despite choosing the wrong option. So, you choose the wrong option and Cole makes a wrong assumption, which leads to a horribly wrong course of action that hinders his case; this more accurately portrays a mistake I think.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Best Review thus-far! encore!

way more analysis this time, or perhaps i'm just fast enough to pick up on it by now, lol
it would be unfitting to skim review a detective game though wouldn't it :D

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
I got yelled at too for arresting the wrong Guy on that case. Pissed me off when I learned it was someone else too... feels bad man....

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Nice Bill Hicks reference at the end, Yahtzee.

Now I'm going to be calling people who act like robots like Yahtzee did - by fusing numbers and letters in their last name. However, that's going to invite some particularly difficult challenges, especially if they're last names are longer than ten letters.