Zero Punctuation: Left 4 Dead 2 & New Super Mario Bros Wii

gillebro

Nov 13, 2009
hilarious highlight to my week, as per usual. nice to see he's got his headset voice back.

he hasn't discouraged me from getting mario bros wii, since personally i love the old-style l to r way of playing mario (since why i liked super paper mario), although why in all humanity there are two toads i don't understand. surely there could have been one toad and one, i dunno, evil mario or something? hehe, actually, they could have made players 3 and 4 wario and waluigi. that would've been awesome.

Salem_Wolf

Jul 9, 2009
LordCuthberton said:
Salem_Wolf said:
Edit: You'd think it'd be obvious that anyone who comments without seeing the review is suspended, why don't people realize that? Wait, don't answer that, stupidity has no clear reasoning.
It's fun for me and [user]Furburt[/user]. We place bets on how many will get banned each week!
LOL! Sounds like it could be a new weekly thread. "Place Bets - ZP Weekly Banning Numbers".

May have to figure out a way to shorten the name, but that'd be awesome heh.

Shankity Stick

64l\/l3r fr0l\/l 81rtl-l
Jul 16, 2009
I honestly don't feel out of line here when i say WORST EPISODE YET. seriously yatzee. have you run out of matireal? i think that i have heard every joke you used in that video befor... used by you. the # thing was from the orange box, the name thing in riddick, and the lack of imagination thing in everyone of your videos about Nintendo. on a compleatly unrelated note, I have enjoyed all of your other videos and hope your next one fix the above probloms. Thank you.

Verrenxnon

Nov 17, 2009
It's great seeing the correlation between the monotonous Mario franchise and the zombie fad that's stayed a couple years past its welcome.

This Mario installment felt very monotonous. Considering Nintendo's counterintuitive push for nostalgia and innovation, is there any conceivable way to revitalize the side-scrolling platformer and its credibility, or do you stand by your previous reviews that Mario, like many of Nintendo's first-party titles, need to be scrapped altogether?

On the question of innovative side-scrolling platforming, do you feel that Little Big Planet was a step in the right direction? I've not played it.

Bilbo536

Sep 24, 2009
Aulwynd said:
I can't agree any more. L4D2 is just an L4D expansion, nothing more. Its just a a bunch of new maps, a few useless melee weapons and thats it. And about New Super Mario Bross Wii, well, its a ripoff from New Super Mario bross DS wich is a ripoff from Super Mario 3, so its not a big surprise that it dont have anything new(as the title says, btw)
You can't say that new game of a franchise is a rip-off of an older game in the same franchise. That's like saying halo 3 is a ripoff of halo 2 which is a ripoff of halo the original.

I found the L4D2 part of the review to be accurate, I hated it as much as the first one. My friends and I however can't seem to put Mario Bros Wii down.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Not having looked though the eight pages (at the time of typing) of posts, plus any other New Super Mario Brothers Wii topics that may exist on The Escapist, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet. I was perusing the latest volume of Edge Magazine when I came across an ad for "NSMBW", as it shall now be called, which seemed to confirm that the Nintendo marketing bods are either a little to full of their companies own self importance or have gone completely loopy.

The heading for ad went something along the lines of "Great Moments in History"

Just below that was the invention of the wheel, which is fair enough, but below that itself was, you guessed it, a picture of Mario, Luigi and the two generic Toads (all looking like twats) accompanied by the legend "New Super Mario Brothers Wii".

Really? The release of this Mario game comparable to the invention of a wheel? That's quite a stretch if ever there was one.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
3:20 of this is by far the most true thing and meaningful thing that Yhatzee has ever said. I agree so much.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
Uh, isn't it a bit hypocritical for Yahtzee to review Left 4 Dead 2, despite the fact that he seems to hate online multiplayer with an almighty vengeance rivalling that of the various denizens of Mount Olympus? Or New Jersey?

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
definitely the funniest for a couple of weeks now!

and I called how he was going to react to New SMB Wii...

A.I. Sigma

Sep 17, 2008
I loved the Shawshank Redemption reference. Great film. :)

Either way, that was an awesome, enjoyable review. Thanks, Yahtzee!

Caradinist

Nov 19, 2009
L4Y Duke said:
Uh, isn't it a bit hypocritical for Yahtzee to review Left 4 Dead 2, despite the fact that he seems to hate online multiplayer with an almighty vengeance rivalling that of the various denizens of Mount Olympus? Or New Jersey?

Well, he did review games like EVE Online, which are strictly or intended to be multiplayer only. I think he has no problem reviewing multiplayer only games, just has a problem with weak single player, with competitive multiplayer. Maybe he has an exception for co-op games.

either that or he reviews whatever he gets only, discounting GAME TRADERS ROBINA.

Krunkcity3000

Mar 12, 2008
Bowser would definitely win. He'd just spit a flame on the tank and back step until the tank collapses in a pile of flaming super zombie.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
- On l4d2: I wasn't a fan, or a boycotter. I only played the demo for each game and still I belive l4d2 was a lazy attempt to suck people of their money. Even WoW expansions add more content than this. It may look different but if you have the first one there is no true reason to get the second one. The similarities in the box art say it all IMO.

- On Mario: Super mario 3 on the NES was the only mario game I ever played for more than 20 minutes and I loved it. From what I gathered Yathzee believes making an old school mario game is a step back (guess he didn't like megaman 9 then ...). I'm not sure what to think about this but for the most part this games are targeted to an older nostalgic crowd, like a remake of an old movie. I'm thinking if sonic team went back to simple 2D sidescrolling you would've been kinder to it). Personally I find it rather refreshing in an industry overfilled with brown 3d graphics that we canenjoy something like this, even if I don't intend to get a wii just for this...

(on a side note, Just recently I started replaying my old genesis games and I'm having a blast even if the difficulty is as unforgiving as I remember it)