Zero Punctuation: Left 4 Dead

ManiacRaccoon

Aug 20, 2008
I had actually almost forgotten about this game. This review was great and now I'm gonna have to rent this.

That's one thing that always got me though, Yahtzee always complains about the price of video games where he is, is there no where to rent something or does it take longer than the rental place allows anyone to have something to get enough information for a review?

I wish he'd review "Destroy All Humans: Path of the Furon", there's so much stuff that doesn't quite work right in that game.

PurpleSyrup

Dec 10, 2008
I got the biggest laugh from the Firefly and World of Warcraft references, but I'm not sure if it's in spite of or because of the fact that I'm a big fan of both.

Zekko5

Apr 30, 2008
Wow - an actual positive review?
The "retard" part made me chuckle as well.

Excellent review - I agree on all fronts! You know the game is repetitive, yet you keep coming back for more. I guess the gameplay that is there is just that awesome.

I'm sure Valve will release new content over time, though. A whole new campaign, hopefully.

All hail the AI Director!

defcon 1

Jan 3, 2008
Yes, it's about time nerds stop obsessively referencing talking about ninjas, pirates and zombies.

I thought the game was alright but nowhere near worth the money I payed.

Deadly_Dragon

Dec 10, 2008
Ok, first off, great review.

Secondly, can we have an LBP review? Pleeeease? I'd love to see how much you hate Sackboy.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
It was pretty obvious that he was going to like this game. It reminds me of Painkiller basically...

And I guess it's Smoker as in "it will roll you up and smoke you".

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
If we stopped talking about Ninjas, Pirates, and Zombies we would probably cease to be nerds. It is part of what makes us who we are! Besides which you might notice that in complaining about them, Yahtzee talks about them an awful lot. But then again Yahtzee never claimed to be anything but a nerd when you get down to it. :)

That said Yahtzee also seemed to like Fallout 3. I think the intro to that one was kind of saying that he couldn't think of anything really bad about it, but had to work at it.

For that matter he also seemed to like Saint's Row 2... hmmm. Perhaps the game industry is producing more things to Yahtzee's tastes.

Speaking of which I couldn't identify the games showing up in the trolly. Well except for RE 4. I just saw some typical androgynous anime guy (I think) on the middle one, and a bunch of colors on the one to the right.

Don't get me wrong, I love JRPGs and the anime art style (unlike Yahtzee) I'm just wondering what they were, and if there was some kind of joke implied there that I'm just not getting.

>>>----Therumancer--->

ZomBuster

Mar 20, 2008
I hope the change in voice pitch is not permanent, funny how the voice alone has such a big impact. Anyway great review, the chaps at Valve can again be relieved you are pleased with their game.

SAccharing10

Jul 3, 2008
I'm suprised he, or for that matter anybody else has mentioned the major problem with L4D - You're completely dependant on your team-mates, they're not just wanted; they're needed - And in a situation where you need to depend on random twats from the internet who are usually crap you could grief in a game by just not being very good.

Frederf

Nov 5, 2007
Depending on each other is actually the hallmark of a good team-based game. It would be despicable for L4D to trivialize that. Unless you were dumb enough to buy it for Xbox Live!, 75% of the time your online compatriots are at least workable. Part of the fun of the game is getting a ragtag and not perfectly in sync group to work together.

L4Dead is very flat, shallow, and repetitive... however the powers of a decently done coop game easily overpower these factors. Co-op is by far the most enjoyable and least understood game mode on the planet. Just imagine if L4D was coop AND in depth, rich in story, and varied in activity.

Emiley Tomsen

Nov 13, 2008
I got Left 4 Dead as a gift from a friend, and despite not being into the whole zombie or horror genre, I truly enjoyed it. Only having 4 campaigns was little disappointing I agree, but overall I had a lot of fun with it, and still do. Something I found odd was my team-mate's AI, when I played the multi-player, and had a friend join me, the rest of the team when computer controlled seemed, smarter. When I play single player, they seemed dumb as rocks most times, getting stuck in places and so on.

I don't get to play PC games as much as I'd like to these days, but Left 4 dead, is one game I would love to see an expansion pack for, more campaigns please!

Love the game, and the review.

lemonade man

Apr 1, 2008
maybe i am the only sane one here (i never doubt it) but yatzee has just been getting progressivle worse and worse. His old reviews for MOH airborn and others are laugh out loud histerical while the review today didnt even have a giggle moment for me. He is loosing the idea of zero puncuation by adding punctuation and emotion to it...and his standards are much lower because he continually says that maybe its good for you or you would like it, but thats not the point of a review its for their opinion and theirs only! i am dissapointed

The-Big-D

Feb 4, 2008
I really enjoyed Left 4 Dead probably one of the few zombie games that creates a really good atmosphere and gameplay experiance.

The game is far to short though, 4 campaigns just didnt see enough but i could see them bringing out more campaigns as an expansion.

Also i got quite annoyed with the special zombies. Just didnt see why you couldnt get out being constricted or pinned down yourself incase you where found on your own. But i can see why they done it to make sure its more of a team experiance.

Never the less this game does have flaws but its still good nether the less.

Good Review

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Lemonade man, why is it not the point of reviewing? He says he hates it, but he also admits to not liking that genre of game or not being a die hard fan of a series. This is to imply that someone who loves the genre or is a fan would probably like it. This is a true statement. Reviews don't have to be "everyone would love it" or "everyone would hate it", because that's never true.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Baby Tea said:
Spinwhiz said:
"If you don't ban 'um, they won't learn nothin'"
Aaaand I'm getting that as a tattoo.

On topic, who didn't think he'd like this game? It's sweet!
I am honestly shocked, however, that he said very little in the way of negativity.

...I guess I'm just expecting him to vomit over everything in rage.
Oh well! Hooray for tearing the nipples off survivors!
*bow* :)