Zero Punctuation: Lego City Undercover

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Farther than stars said:
A game with a cyborg ninja dressed in tank tops, who is also the mayor and is raising money to bring his dead mother back to life... and for all I know that is actually the real plot of "Metal Gear Rising: Revengence".
I'm fairly sure it isn't, but I'm also fairly sure that game would be awesome. It would probably be a JRPG, possibly an action adventure.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Yopaz said:
AdamG3691 said:
There are some differences between Tri and 3U, but the same premise is there, that's the part he hates.
um, he never even got to the great jaggi...

hell I don't think he even got past the 1* urgent.

it wasn't that he didn't like grinding that he said he disliked, it's that the hardest thing he fought outside the "ohshitrun" lagiacrus fight was an aptonoth

Oh, he didn't get to the great jaggi fight? Then why has he written about it in his column?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/7635-Monster-Hunter-Tri.2
Basically this involved me smashing my shortsword against his flank over and over and over again, chipping away at his wretchedly massive amount of health for half an hour because every other weapon was so fucking slow to use that he'd jump out of the way and slap me across the chops with his tail in the time it took to swing them. This isn't even mentioning the weapon degradation system, for which someone badly deserves a mongoose up the trouser leg. Every ten hits or so (with the stupid, stupid Wiimote controls) my sword would lose sharpness, to the point that every other blow would bounce ringingly off the monster's hide as if I'd hit the thing with a fucking bamboo walking stick. So I'd have to pick between trying to get through the fight with a half-useless weapon or run off to slide a whetstone slowly along the blade with even odds whether or not the boss and all his friends come over and interrupt me with murder.
Read more at
Clearly he did fight Great Jaggi even if he didn't mention it by name, but there is an image in the article. Thank you for making it so easy to prove you wrong.

Edit: Messed up the quote
He got to the Great Jaggi. And that's exactly it.

He didn't get to the point of "grinding monster to get gear used to grind bigger monster to repeat this endless cycle", though. Great Jaggi's the first real monster.

Anyway... lukewarm on this review. I don't much like his Nintendo game reviews because they always come off as NINTNEDO game reviews.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Other than the Last of Us there really isn't much coming out this year to get excited about is there?
And since this is Lego I could think a more fitting Marathon to be held hostage by.
what with the detachable limbs and all
A lot of people are pretty excited about that game that really isn't about stealing multiple motor vehicles for Vendetta.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
MB202 said:
Yahtzee mentioning third party games for the Wii U reminded me of how Rayman Legends was supposed to be Wii U exclusive, but Ubisoft decided be tossers and let Nintendo in the dust.
Yeah, a company decided to actually turn a profit by developing on consoles that people actually own. How rude of them.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
How Yahtzee reviews a game on a Nintendo console:
1/3 of the episode is wasted on bashing Nintendo as a company
1/3 on bashing the Nintendo console
1/6 on bashing Nintendo fans
1/6 of proving that he didn't play the game for longer than 20 minutes
Every fucking time.
And how exactly do you know he didn't get to the end? I can think of several videos off the top of my head in the last few weeks where he brings up the ending/final boss for a specific reason.

I wish Lego would branch out and do more things that work with their lego characters, for example, imagine NeverDead with lego characters, casually popping your arms on and off, throwing your head down narrow passages so you can collect things, and it would be an E rated game.

The Comfy Chair

Nov 5, 2012
Warachia said:
BiH-Kira said:
How Yahtzee reviews a game on a Nintendo console:
1/3 of the episode is wasted on bashing Nintendo as a company
1/3 on bashing the Nintendo console
1/6 on bashing Nintendo fans
1/6 of proving that he didn't play the game for longer than 20 minutes
Every fucking time.
And how exactly do you know he didn't get to the end? I can think of several videos off the top of my head in the last few weeks where he brings up the ending/final boss for a specific reason.

I wish Lego would branch out and do more things that work with their lego characters, for example, imagine NeverDead with lego characters, casually popping your arms on and off, throwing your head down narrow passages so you can collect things, and it would be an E rated game.
Because people who are Nintendo fans need to tell themselves Yahtzee has a massive bias. Something he himself has brought up many a time.

The problem is, Nintendo fans, is that Nintendo's consoles have done very little for core gaming in many years. That's why he, and most 'core' gamers, don't give much of a rats ass about Nintendo consoles. Handheld? sure, the DS is definitely best overall handheld (woo, now i'm going to be attacked by Sony fanboys too!). Consoles? lol, nope.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Enlong said:

He didn't get to the point of "grinding monster to get gear used to grind bigger monster to repeat this endless cycle", though. Great Jaggi's the first real monster.

Anyway... lukewarm on this review. I don't much like his Nintendo game reviews because they always come off as NINTNEDO game reviews.
He got to the part where the game is turning fun and he didn't like it. You can't accept that he's got a different opinion than me or you on the game? There is going to be grinding and he has said on numerous occasions that he doesn't like grinding. What more do you need to be convinced that he wouldn't like this game?

I am going to be immature here and accept his opinion, but you can choose to be the mature one here and take the high road and keep arguing this to the end of days.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
I see no reason whatsoever why the Wii U would be difficult to develop for, when compared to the Wii.

The Wii's controller thing influenced the whole system. Even if one didn't use motion controls, the relative lack of buttons meant that a game would have to be simplified or reworked entirely if it was a port.

But the Wii U's controller has all the standard buttons. Four or so face buttons, two control sticks, two sets of shoulder buttons, and press-in buttons on the control sticks.

If a developer doesn't want to use the screen gimmick, then they can just... not use it. Save it for that off-TV play thing that people are so worked up over. It's not like the Wii, where the Classic Controller was an optional add-on that not everyone had. The button scheme on the screen controller is the same as the "pro controllers".

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
kailus13 said:
Farther than stars said:
A game with a cyborg ninja dressed in tank tops, who is also the mayor and is raising money to bring his dead mother back to life... and for all I know that is actually the real plot of "Metal Gear Rising: Revengence".
I'm fairly sure it isn't, but I'm also fairly sure that game would be awesome. It would probably be a JRPG, possibly an action adventure.
You and I must have different definitions of the word 'awesome'. Personally, I use it as an antonym for 'terrible'.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
lol I don't go to the gym anymore for the same reason, Yahtzee

LEGO LotR had voice acting in it, but I personally felt it got away with it cuz I love the films but still.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Yopaz said:
Enlong said:

He got to the part where the game is turning fun and he didn't like it. You can't accept that he's got a different opinion than me or you on the game? There is going to be grinding and he has said on numerous occasions that he doesn't like grinding. What more do you need to be convinced that he wouldn't like this game?

I am going to be immature here and accept his opinion, but you can choose to be the mature one here and take the high road and keep arguing this to the end of days.
Huh?

No, I wasn't saying that I thought he would like the game. I was just saying that your wording for why he quit it was inaccurate. If I recall the Extra Punctuation correctly, his reasons for quitting weren't to do with endlessly grinding big monsters for gear to fight bigger monsters; all that sort of begins after the Great Jaggi. His reason for quitting seemed to be more to do with the mechanics of fighting, the extensive downtime between quests, and the time it was taking to reach interesting monsters like the Lagiacus, instead of the Great Jaggi, which is more of an overgrown minor enemy in terms of design.

Believe me, I have no illusions as to the fact that he would despise Tri U. I'm glad we're no getting that review, because it would be more of the same, on both sides.

...Wait, since when is it immature to accept someone else's opinion?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Enlong said:
I was hoping the sarcasm was obvious enough here.

Also my exact wording for why he quit was that this isn't his kind of game.

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
The only reason anybody bought this game was to justify their Wii U purchase, me included.

But running around the city trying to find all the little secrets is pretty fun, and if you're looking for something to tide you over until Pikmin 3 comes out, it's worth picking up.

Playing Lego City is like eating pancakes for dinner when your dinner reservation got cancelled - a nice, stupid pick-me-up that you'll forget about in a week.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Other than the Last of Us there really isn't much coming out this year to get excited about is there?
And since this is Lego I could think a more fitting Marathon to be held hostage by.
what with the detachable limbs and all
GTA V. But that's pretty far down the road too. And MAAAYBE Watch Dogs if it manages to come out this year. I guess this is a good time to work on backlogs.

OT: I can't help but think Luigi's Mansion would have been a more entertaining review, since more people are likely to care about that. Maybe next week.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Yopaz said:
Enlong said:
I was hoping the sarcasm was obvious enough here.

Also my exact wording for why he quit was that this isn't his kind of game.
Actu-

...you know what? Sure. Let's go with that.

head desk tricycle

Aug 14, 2010
The Comfy Chair said:
Because people who are Nintendo fans need to tell themselves Yahtzee has a massive bias. Something he himself has brought up many a time.

The problem is, Nintendo fans, is that Nintendo's consoles have done very little for core gaming in many years. That's why he, and most 'core' gamers, don't give much of a rats ass about Nintendo consoles. Handheld? sure, the DS is definitely best overall handheld (woo, now i'm going to be attacked by Sony fanboys too!). Consoles? lol, nope.
You're saying Yahtzee doesn't have a bias, and that he only dislikes Nintendo consoles because they've done very little for core gaming, but that's actually the definition of a bias. It just means that he presents his own view at the expense of others.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Falseprophet said:
Gameguy20100 said:
Wait wait wait wait Yahtzee WANTS multiplier what weird fucked up parallel universe have I stepped into!!
Yahtzee's never had a problem with local multiplayer. Just online.
Unfortunately it's not the universe where beer flows like water, cigars and pizza grow on trees, donuts rain from the sky, and women want to have sex with me by eye contact alone.
Getting back to the video, I applaud LEGO for making a game not already based on a licensed property, and hope they make more games based on their sets. Either that or I can just buy the sets themselves.
And I fear the number of the worst Simpsons episodes ever would be too much to fit in a single day.

The Last Melon

Mar 19, 2012
Defeated Detective said:
The Last Melon said:
Well, he's a much bigger fan of Bioshock Infinite in this one than he was in his video review...
He came in defense of Bioshock Infinite's ending, a much more in-depth answer is found in his column.
I still haven't played Infinite, so I didn't read the column for fear of spoilers...