Zero Punctuation: Lichdom: Battlemage

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Sounds like the sort of game I would enjoy after using cheat codes to just give me the best spells. There are some games like that, where the mechanics are so broken or boring that cheats are required to make them fun. I remember one of the Spawn games back in the day was exactly like that...it was essentially a Devil May Cry clone with LIMITED bullet count...weak.

A healthy dose of infinite ammo made the game right fun and playable! I still refuse to BUY levels in the Tales game on XBL or PSN though...

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Really the most dissapointing thing about Lichdom for me was the crafting.

The spells themselves have a rather pitiful amount of variety in delivery, and all elements deliver the same effect no matter how theyre delivered based on what augument you use to craft the spell.

With that in mind, delivery systems aside theres only really 24 spells.

And then theres the synergy spells. You have to go to extreme lengths to be able to craft one, and if you happen to get a synergy that demands a pair of elements that you dont use then the spell is effectively completely mudane (realatively speaking) unless you alter your playstyle to accomidate it. And when the equipped synergy spell is charged, it will override your AoE spell for that element until its used.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Yahtzee, technically the "Introduction Wizard" is a Lich, and technically, so are you.
You're after the guys Phylactery for one!
And your character turns into a power hungry undead wizard very quickly.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Evil Smurf said:
Throws lightning bolt at opponent.

Does having a red/green magic deck make me a battle mage?
No, "blue" is the color for mages in MtG.... Sorry man. :p

Zouriz

Apr 28, 2011
Yahtzee is going to offend so many Lichdom fans by not calling it its proper name.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
Jman1236 said:
yugioh joke would of worked better if you used a fusion monster card and not a pokemon card in the review but that's just me. Though I'm more into cardfight!! vanguard now.
Considering the response, I'd say it was spot on :p

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Jman1236 said:
yugioh joke would of worked better if you used a fusion monster card and not a pokemon card in the review but that's just me. Though I'm more into cardfight!! vanguard now.
That's just Yahtzee's way of saying he doesn't care and the game mechanic is dumb. Also, it is a joke. You are expecting a fusion monster, but get a pikachu instead.

Monoclebear

Robot enthusiast
Sep 29, 2010
Amgeo said:
Zouriz said:
Yahtzee is going to offend so many Lichdom fans by not calling it its proper name.
Lichdom has fans?
Yeah, we do actually exist :D
In all fairness, yeah the game has some flaws, but atleast for me it is a lot of fun.
My favorite way to fight is to first spam my corruption spell that spawns damaging homing bugs when an infected enemy is killed, which have a chance to transfer status effects.
After that I loaded them up with crit-enhancing debuffs and mark them with my necromancy spells (the way necromancy works kn this game is that you mark enemies with a necromancy spell and when they die a minion spawns, imbued with effects from the spell that killed him).
Then I finish it off with a single fireball.
An enemy gets killed, releases my homing parasites, these transfer the burning effect and starts a chain reaction that ends with all enemies dead from my giant cloud of devouring bugs and me having an undead army.
The game kinda feels like an old beat-em up where you simply walk across the screen and beat up tons of dudes, but translated into 3D and a cool crafting system for attacks.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
It's a shame the game is hampered by bad choices, the least of which was the title.

Speaking of titles, I'm not sure the heaving sound will last:
"Hey Yahtzee, what was your favorite game of 2012?
-Why, it's Spec Ops 'heueh' The Line."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
"Bored Yahtzee" is a common card, unfortunately. I've been trying to upgrade, but I can''t find the right combos.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I know its Yatzhee's thing to not like games(reason #1 I like him!) but I had read BattleMage was alright. Kinda' surprised he didn't at least give it a tentative 'mostly harmless' recommendation.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
gigastar said:
Really the most dissapointing thing about Lichdom for me was the crafting.

The spells themselves have a rather pitiful amount of variety in delivery, and all elements deliver the same effect no matter how theyre delivered based on what augument you use to craft the spell.

With that in mind, delivery systems aside theres only really 24 spells.

And then theres the synergy spells.
To be fair, most FPS games, which this effectively is, have way fewer guns than that. Even games like Diablo and Borderlands which like to boast about how many differernt combinations are possible mostly boil down to a few basic weapons with a bunch of "does 1% more damage than an otherwise identical weapon" modifiers. 24 "guns", with a bunch of minor variations on top, really isn't bad as far as variety goes.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Well, it's quite an old tradition to give works of fiction two titles. Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus" springs to mind. I think there are some works of classical art that do the same thing. At the very least, this phenomenon isn't unique to the games industry.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I'll probably get it. It's one of those rare games that scratch that specific itch that I get from time to time. From what I've seen on YouTube it looks like fun. I rarely agree with Yahtzee anyway.

EXos

Nov 24, 2009
Here is a prediction for over two weeks:

Yathzee rips Destiny a new one.

Can't wait. XD

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
When I saw the title Lichdom, I thought it was a stupid name and that Yahtzee would spend the first 2 minutes making fun of it.