Zero Punctuation: Little Big Planet

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
So....
  • [li]It's cute.[/li]
    [li]It's a simple platformer.[/li]
    [li]It has user-made content.[/li]
    [li]That's pretty much it.[/li]
Yeah, there wasn't much Yahtzee could do for the PS3's little reason for living.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
The Amazing Orgazmo said:
Second, what happened to WhistleBlower's (the guy who made the rip-off "Zero Originality") account on youtube? I know the chances of you actually liking the fact that he ripped off your sprites, but for the most part, his videos on the Tyranny that is GameStop was actually one of the good rip-offs, like Marathon was to Doom, and it would seem like silencing someones right to free speech if The Escapist had anything to do with it.
I really doubt it was Yahtzee who was able to bring the hammer down on Zero Originality, so much as GameStop likely sweeping in with a wonderful array of legal charges. He'd have a hard time defending himself against Slander [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slander] charges because, whether or not what he has to say is correct, GameSpot's lawyers are way bigger and more powerful than what could afford. It doesn't help they probably have their employees sign papers that say they keep their practices a trade secret.

[Actually, it was apparently "Themis Media [http://www.themis-media.com/content/properties]" who did it. Even so! GameSpot would have got it if they didn't.

Apparently there was already a thread on this. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.72546?page=1]]

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
when you die, you see...
the ARSERING :p
1:16 I felt compelled to chant "IA! IA! CTHULHU F'THAGN!" from the top of my lungs for some reason
1:10 why philipino BOYS, Yahtzee? hmmm?

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
This review was funny shit, especially Yahtzee's googley eyed ass. THe endimg made me look forward to the review of Project Origin (I took it like an indirect reference). I once again agree with user-generated content. It's difficult to make something truly proffessional and plenty of tossers give it 5 stars because it references something they like, not just Naruto.
BTW; Yahtzee sure tries hard to come up with those analogies. This time, the lack of them and show of struggle were great.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Aptspire said:
1:10 why philipino BOYS, Yahtzee? hmmm?
Well, there's two possibilities:
  • [li]This is Yahtzee coming out of the closet about something that would get him arrested.[/li]
    [li]This is Yahtzee saying something completely ridiculous for the shock humor affect.[/li]
It's not too hard to figure out what the most likely possibility is.

crimped

Feb 3, 2008
review sucked, game sucked, googly eye'd ass sucked. is yahtzee turning into a tard or what?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
HE FUCKING REVIEWED IT!

I didn't think he'd review it after the Far Cry 2 review, but he reviewed it!

Great as always Mr. Crowshaw.

Amoreyna

Jan 12, 2009
merkaba48 said:
Thanks for the reply,

1. I understand that opinions vary. My point was to not formulate a conclusion based solely on Yahtzee's opinion, or in this review more of a lack of opinion. I like Yahtzee's reviews but I don't agree with them all, even though some of his favourite games are mine also. I believe that Yahtzee's reviews are all relative to his expectations of a game, hence why LEGO Indiana Jones (which would have generally low expectations) got a generally positive review while LBP (which would have generally high expectations) got an inconclusive one. I think if LBP had more original gameplay aspects then it would have gotten a more positive review, but that does not mean that what LBP *does* have is not worthy of experiencing.

2. I think the comparison is fair. Personally I consider game design to be an artform, and LBP offers a canvas to create with; admittedly within the confines of the LBP engine, but every medium has limitations. You can pretty much paint in LBP, scuplt within its planar confines, and make your creations interactive; there is no pressure to always make platform levels and many of the best user levels for LBP are very artistic.

Could a LBP creator become the next Dali? To LBP players, yes, they can. Getting world-wide appeal however is tricky as the only people who can experience a person's art fully is by owning and playing the game, and anyone who is not familiar with LBP will not comprehend fully what they are seeing. The same is also true of paintings; to a person unfamiliar with painting as an artform, I imagine it would be difficult for them to comprehend that what they are seeing is a work of genius if presented with one.

Anyway, also it is somewhat unfair to say you are paying $50 or whatever for UGC that may be crap, whilst ignoring the presence of multiplayer and the story mode, which has some excellent levels and does have replayability, albeit mostly in the form of mini-games (of which the game has over 25). Even if you consider that to be not enough for you, the presence of UGC and the ability to make your own creations means in time you are guarenteed to be able to experience new levels that are on par or even better than the original set.
To me this isn't a question as to whether or not video games in themselves are an art form. Instead it's whether or not a level designed in a prefabricated program can be considered an art form on the same foundation as painting, sculpting etc. and to me the answer is no. Even though you can partake in virtual sculpting and painting in the program it is still massively different then when doing it hands on.

When you paint something you have to have an idea of what you want. The majority of people create a sketch first and then put a light outline onto their canvas so that they know how everything will lay. You spend hours with the colors, shading, fine lines, tiny details, getting everything just right so that it looks like it took no time at all. Mistakes can be agonizing to correct. The same with sculpting - it takes hours of hands on work. Both of these mediums demand that you practice them and have background knowledge so that you can use them effectively.

But with a program that is set up to design levels already half of the work is already taken out. There is no foundation laying, no building up to what is considered the fun stuff. Players don't have to spend hours getting the code right - it's already done for them. That's what takes away the status of art from something like this. Regardless of how creative you are anyone who sits down can use it and create something functional out of it. Everything is laid out for you that you'll need. Anyone can sit down and with a little bit of fiddling and patience make something realitively impressive.

There may be a lot of highly creative people that work on level designing for LBP. If they are truly creative and artistic then they will become know by other work that they do. I mean think about it, what is more impressive to you: a level that designed with a program or one that was built from scratch that someone had to lovingly program? They are both beautiful, both run well, and both are fun - so the second one is going to be more impressive by the sheer amount of work that's gone into it.

Mind you I am not saying that anything created with a computer is not art. Far from it - in fact the website Digital Blasphemy is one of my all time favorites. I just have a problem with comparing work done from scratch with work that's already half completed from a program.

StarryXNights

Dec 5, 2008
johnman said:
StarryXNights said:
Today's episode contained more bile than usual and didn't include such fast conversation. Personally I think Yahtzee has finally lost the plot, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
Thats not quite fair, do you how how hot it is in Austraila at the moment? I have family over there and its hell in the city, up wake up shower then 5 mins later you will be dripping Its so hot they've been having power cuts.
I was referring to his peculiar underpants dance; I was not claiming that his reviews have lost quality.

binturong

Jul 2, 2008
I love that a game designed specifically to be simple and different and happy incites so much rage among mainstream gamers.

I'm just not seeing the ocean of crap that supposedly exists out of necessity from the level creation tools. Let's not forget that hardly anyone owns a PS3 and even fewer of them own LBP because they're too busy shotgunning the genitals off zombies. That's exactly what LBP needs to thrive - a small, loyal community of level designers - and for the most part they're already there.

Velocirapture07

Jan 19, 2009
Ouch, the banning for one word...and even 4 word posts is hardcore. In light of that I think I'll write more than that. Thought the review was pretty good, considering "cute" games like that aren't exactly what I like. Do googly eyes creep anybody else out though....just wondering.

Schizzy

Oct 9, 2008
The Aussie summer is really putting the heat on Yahtzee's noggin'. I mean, two chocolate metaphors!! What was he thinking? :p