Zero Punctuation: Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I bet you've never had to wring ectoplasm out of your facial hair
Well now you're just making personal assumptions about my character, Yahtzee.

OT: I own a sharp and pointy 3DS (for my sins) and to be honest I didn't give this game much of a look, having never played the original. However, Yahtzee's glowing praise is not a regular occurrence so I might just give this game a little look-see.

Enlong said:

That's just an Xbox 360 controller with the right analog stick and the face buttons swapped round. It's hardly evidence for Nintendo's innovation.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
*looks out window, sees pigs flying*

Hmm, Yahtzee must've given something from Nintendo a good review.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Wow I laughed my ass off that episode, it's been a long time since i laughed so hard at an episode of ZP. From the repeated dick and sex jokes, to the look on the raptors face as Mario condemned him to a bottomless pit. Man that was just great.

Also I liked Lugi's Mansion on the Gamecube.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
TheSniperFan said:
Does it come bundeled with the WiiU? What happens to all those touchscreen-features then (in games that rely on them)?
I'm genuinely interested, since I don't own one and it seems kind of odd that there are two controllers for one console of which one just lacks a core feature (touchscreen).
"No" and "You can't play them" would be the most likely answers. And the controller is probably not even used in games that don't use the touch-screen at all. It is most likely like the "Classic Controller" for the Wii: Just a remodelled GameCube Controller. Except this time, they ripped off the rough design from the XBox instead of making a slighly larger SNES controller with two sticks below start and select (which was a good idea!)

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:
Enlong said:
Hm. Makes the game look like something I'd like to give a go. I hope it doesn't have a boss as annoying as Boolossus got around the last 5 Boos.

On the subject of the Wii U and controllers and developers, I just want to make one quick point.

Those buttons are placed awkwardly, not sure if want...

OT: Luigi's Mansion 2, definitely on my "want" list now, I have never played the first one, but after getting a gamecube controller and some GC games for my Wii a few years back, my only though was "I wish I owned a gamecube as a kid for the godly controller" Instead limited to using the beautiful controller at a friends house for some Super Smash Bros Melee.
The Wii U Pro controller looks pretty nice to me, but I've never minded any videogame controller except maybe the first Xbox controllers.

Luigi's Mansion 1 is pretty much a 3 hour tech demo for the Gamecube, so jumping into this one is probably a better idea, so if you want to get some more use for gamecube controllers get Windwaker, Mario Sunshine or the Pikmin games.

OT: I'm glad Yahtzee can stand not to be biased against Nintendo games, I guess if they don't have all the issues he has with them, (Playing as Mario or Link, being on the Wii or Wii U) he can praise them. Though I guess we already knew that with his love of Earthbound.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Damn you Yahtzee. Now I really want a Yorkie bar.
Still not sold on the 3ds though.

Anyone in the UK want to mail me a Yorkie?

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
There are only three Nintendo properties I know that I'll actually enjoy, Luigi's Mansion titles, Mario Karting, and Smash Bros. I am glad to see Nintendo finally caught on, now if only they'd made the game ported to a platform I actually own. This further makes me debate a 3DS, but I keep back-pedaling in order to upgrade my PC or get a big deal on Steam...

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
4 multi coloured Luigis?
Isn't that why there are those 3 other guys with hats?
...You know, Mario, Wario and Waluigi?

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
TheSniperFan said:
Does it come bundeled with the WiiU? What happens to all those touchscreen-features then (in games that rely on them)?
I'm genuinely interested, since I don't own one and it seems kind of odd that there are two controllers for one console of which one just lacks a core feature (touchscreen).
As far as I know, it doesn't come bundled. I think it's a seperate controller to buy, like the Classic Controller was with the Wii. And like the Classic Controller, I think it can mostly be used in games without a primary tablet function.

However, that's the thing. Since this controller (and the default tablet) have the standard array of buttons, games can be made without tablet functions, without sacrificing the overall quality of the control scheme. Yeah, the Pro Controller is optional, but it's not like the Wii, where the default only had 4 buttons and a D-Pad without any add-ons.

Proverbial Jon said:
That's just an Xbox 360 controller with the right analog stick and the face buttons swapped round. It's hardly evidence for Nintendo's innovation.
I wasn' saying anything on the subject of innovation, just that the Wii U has a comfortable, almost gamecube-esque controller option. Which I seriously hope more Devs pick up on. They can make games that control as normal, but have off-TV capabilities for those using the Tablet.

Or maybe use the tablet in other ways, like jsut making it a menu screen, but give users of the Pro Controller a regular menu screen (or transparent overlay) to use.

Since he same number of butotns are standard, they won't be losing money on people who don't buy the pro conroller, since they can sill play it on the tablet, even if the game doesn't have tablet functions.

And wasn't the Gamecube using a controller with similar buttons? Minus the second and third shoulder buttons, of course. I mean, standard controllers haven't really stretched very far since the days of the Gamecube. The most radical additions have been increasing numbers of L and R.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Eh, I would like to play Luigi's mansion DM thought I am currently ...
Well lets say I was already 'sucked' into a really good game.

A game that is called Fire Emblem: Awakening.
And it is DAAAAMN good.
Hopefully Yahtzee can review it, but meh ... I'm enjoying it too much.

I just might get the new Luigi's Mansion if my wallet allows me to.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Anyway, this was a pretty fun review. I figured he'd have some nice things to say about it, since his review of Luigi and Luigi: Luigi's Inside Story told us pretty well his opinion on the second of the two Mario Brothers.

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:
ex275w said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Enlong said:
Hm. Makes the game look like something I'd like to give a go. I hope it doesn't have a boss as annoying as Boolossus got around the last 5 Boos.

On the subject of the Wii U and controllers and developers, I just want to make one quick point.

Those buttons are placed awkwardly, not sure if want...

OT: Luigi's Mansion 2, definitely on my "want" list now, I have never played the first one, but after getting a gamecube controller and some GC games for my Wii a few years back, my only though was "I wish I owned a gamecube as a kid for the godly controller" Instead limited to using the beautiful controller at a friends house for some Super Smash Bros Melee.
The Wii U Pro controller looks pretty nice to me, but I've never minded any videogame controller except maybe the first Xbox controllers.

Luigi's Mansion 1 is pretty much a 3 hour tech demo for the Gamecube, so jumping into this one is probably a better idea, so if you want to get some more use for gamecube controllers get Windwaker, Mario Sunshine or the Pikmin games.
Got Windwaker (loved it) and Mario Sunshine (yet to play it) and I might get the Pikmin games later.

Also, I wished Yahtzee would review Fire Emblem: Awakening, but its a little late for that, would have been interesting to see what he thought of it.
My guess is that he doesn't like the franchise much because of all the shit he got for not knowing who Marth is. While he's recently liked turn-based games, (and admitted so) the animu style, and cliched story might turn him off. Maybe he tried Sacred Stones with the ambassador program, but that's unlikely. Also Fire Emblem came out in PAL regions some days ago, but I'll guess he's going to review Dead Island: Riptide next week.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Falsename said:
FIRST!
Have to use this power for good not evil.... Uh..... Prophet from Crysis 3 is a total dickbag!!
*throws blue shell*

OT: I really enjoyed Dark Moon and in this day and age a game in which I actually want to play a new file instantly after beating the first one is a-okay in my book. I wish the ghosts had a little more personality and different designs like in the first one, but other than that it was great.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
themilo504 said:
so what you?re saying is that this game really sucks.
I?m sorry for that pun.
Now you're just misrepresenting it.

It occasionally blows and flashes, too.