Zero Punctuation: Mafia II

FlameUnquenchable

Apr 27, 2010
I didn't play the first one, and by the looks of things I'm glad I didn't get into it. GTA was ok for the first 3 games, anything that is basically a spinoff mafia sandbox seems bleh to me now. Good review all in all.

Ross Fixxed

Sep 10, 2010
They get probation as the posts were 5:01 and 5:04 for a video posted at 5. It seems a regular thing. Watch it first!

I personally enjoyed Mafia 2 as a short piece of entertainment. It won me over despite some of its flaws, and because of some of the restrictions, the driving etc was a departure from SR 2 and GTA IV.

What I love about ZP, aside from the great humour etc. is what I look for in any review. I agree with / or can see their point but still decide if I'll like the game! I have more tolerance for a flawed horror maybe than a flawed RPG (because I'm rubbish at them, am I the only one in Dragon age who only presses A a lot and hopes for the best?). I can see WHY people don't like this, but it worked for me, getting to work up through the mob was a real blast and the ending (thought not original) had enough impact from a 'smaller' game like this to carry it for me.

That said I shall be trading it in tomorrow and look forward to Halo Reach really annoying me :)

The Ambrosian

Paperboy
May 9, 2009
wooty said:
I'm still perched on the fence about whether to buy this one or not, and this review hasnt really helped me to jump to either side.
Nice post count : D

OT: I hear this game is led by the cinematics so idk about getting it.

Buck Wilde

Jul 15, 2009
I feel like I've mentioned this before about another video but he's mentioned Shawshank in like 5 reviews now, just sayin.

Blackadder51

Escapecraft Operator
Jun 25, 2009
Uh, you dont get shit for running red lights in Mafia 2.

Hmm, it seems someone <a=did not do the researchDid Not Do The Research [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DidNotDoTheResearch]

Mr Croshaw did you fly the game so fast you just forgot? Or just took it off Mafia 1.

tut tut.

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
Well done Yahtzee as nearly always.

Formula sounds blend and standart, but they made the damn city boring as hell again?

Must be a game with a decent vehicle control though since he didn't curse that out.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Good review. I tried to play the demo, but this was my experience:

Wake up
Watch a not particularly interesting cutscene
Get in car
Drive really fast
Hit wall and die

It was at this point where I turned it off because I just can't respect a sandbox game which won't let me drive really fast.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Mackheath said:
Why is it always the first two or four people who get whacked with the prohibition hammer on these vids...

Still, humour was great.
They commented on it before they could have realistically watched the video. Look at their post times and the ZP video length.

It is the attempted way to be tricky and get a "First!" comment in

EDIT: Sorry, quoted wrong person originally.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I should really try to not eat or drink during Zero Punctuation. The two have a bad habit of causing me to choke.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
okay im not gonna look at the comments and predict that hella people said "AWWW! I WANTED HALO REACH!"

(Peeks) Ok, i was wrong, and im NOT gonna be the first to suggest it. I WAS actually looking forward to Mafia 2, but when I played the demo, it was so BOOORING! (you know a game's bad when the demo, the part that's supposed to SELL YOU ON THE GAME, is boring)

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
I couldn't agree more, they jerked off the good in Mafia 1 to make it worse on the second opus... the only thing that should be noted, where they did an effort, was the mission where you must whack Thomas Angelo from Mafia 1, that felt Nostalgic.

Ross Fixxed

Sep 10, 2010
I think you have to go into it knowing it's not actually a sandbox, and there is expository cutscenes, rather than in game events. (However the style and marketing should not be so vague that anyone should ever have to say that, and it is a definite minus to the game) It's a straight story that will last about 12 hours and does involve a lot of driving about and waiting. What worked for me was whilst washing a window is a boring task, it is in anticipation of something more interesting happening. The people you are beating up in some cases it is for a very good, or in one case very satisfying and corny 'mafia movie 101' reason.

It's an ideal rental for any fans of mob stories, it's a slow burn game and it is one that will wither endeer itself to you or make you angry and frustrated at the pace, the cars and the 'day job' aspect.

By the way try getting a car to 125 mph in the game, that's a challenge!