Zero Punctuation: Mafia II

Tele-screen

Nov 23, 2009
Awwww yeah...assonance joke at the end. You just don't see enough attention paid to assonance any more. Everyone's all like "ooh alliteration and rhyme, that's all we need."

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Good one, as usual. And the ending joke was good. I like it when you put an extra funny joke at the ending.

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
Even with the YZ review, I still would like to play the game, it's just that the people within a mafia-family intruige me so much and...-

Angrywyvern

Sep 30, 2008
Nice review, I too was disappointed by the lack of actual sandbox elements, and the story was a bit too predictable.

I wonder if you're going to do Amnesia: The Dark Descent next. This isn't really a request, but the promise of a legitimate survival horror game to play seems too good not to jump on, and it would be fun to hear what you think of it.

Maxi-005

Jan 25, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Is it odd that my favorite part of an open world game is driving around listening to the radio?

Even in Saint's Row 2, I find that the most entertaining part of the game...
It's not a shame, I also like driving in Mafia II (those cars and tuning option... but it's a pity that there's no "racing missons" in this game), however lot of gamers don't like "do a mission - driving sequence (usually to the opposite side of a map) - do another mission" thing and I understand them. It's all about players taste, not everyone has the same.

BTW. I have only 2 things against this game. First, it's to short (just 15 short chapters, minus driving sequences), second, it should has more sand-box style (there're NO side missions and also you're ALWAYS "led by the hand"). After that, it's a great game... of course not as good as Saint's Row 2, but hey, it's my taste :)

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
I didn't mind the driving n' music bits (awesome cars, awesome music (awesome bit where drunk friends SING ALONG to aforesaid awesome music))

I DID mind the ending, however, and I'd agree with ZP there.

All in all, quite an accurate review, if typically OTT

BossBax

May 28, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Kind-of expected it, but I'm surprised he didn't complain about some silly things that really would've spiced the game up if they weren't cut out, pretty much every one of them shown in this parody video:
But yeah it would've been nice if the game would embrace it's open nature a bit more. Give us as much to do we could do in Red Dead Redemption, but then mafia style! Maybe something for Mafia 3.
We'll there is this DLC allready witch is basicaly the freeride mode from the first game. only with a different guy and more missions to go on. Must've seemed like a good idea to sell that Sandbox seperately.

As for the game, I liked it a lot, even with the predictable plot and unsatisactory ending. I guess its the atmosphere of this game that I missed since I played Mafia (one that is). One thing that was a major pain in the ass for me was the handeling of the cars, at least in the PC version. there no option between pedal to the metal and driving like Joes grandmother...

Schlagwerk

Nov 5, 2009
Stream's busted.

Code:
200, Stream not found, NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound, clip: '[Clip] 'http://video2.themis-media.com/6291fbb2cac771c5e1806f0cc4a73a4a/mp4/escapist/zero-punctuation/c115ad6ff3188a4ad54386cb28650ef0.mp4''

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Is anyone else getting "not found" errors when trying to watch the video? I've been refreshing for 10 minutes and nothing...

This is the first time I've seen this happen.

EDIT: ^^^^ I guess that answers that.

SurvivorCharlie

Jan 9, 2010
Signa said:
Is anyone else getting "not found" errors when trying to watch the video? I've been refreshing for 10 minutes and nothing...

This is the first time I've seen this happen.
Happening on my end too.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
Oooooh, I hate it when I can't watch ZP on a Wednesday morning!

...get it fixed; this is an outrage!!!

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
It would be funny if some noob tech accidentally deleted the master copy of the review, and no one gets to see it ever again.