Zero Punctuation: Mafia II

kgtw

May 4, 2008
This also happened a few days ago for me with the Wolfenstein review. Perhaps the Escapist is saving on server costs by unplugging them some of the time..?

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
getting a missing stream error. any fix?
okay so it's not just me getting the error. Good to know.

I tried on all the videos they posted today but it's a no go. Hopefully they get it fixed soon.

SurvivorCharlie

Jan 9, 2010
Oh wait, I get it. Yahtzee is saying Mafia II is a broken piece of shit and should not be played, hence the broken and unplayable link.

Very abstract but I dig it. Great review as always, Yahtz!

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
coldalarm said:
phoenix352 said:
the sand box isnt a sand box its a city with nothing to do but steal cars and shoot people
Seriously? As in... That's it? No mini-games, no stunt jumps, no side-missions?

nope... all you got is your main story line and the ability to drive .... thats it.
you can steal cars and smash them in the junk yard for cash or rob stores, either way you probably get the police on you and then its an annoying situation where you either kill every one that sees you or drive away and have the cops on your tail then you need to go through the trouble of changing clothes again and again so police doesn't suspect you. there's like one ramp in the whole city where you can jump it but doesn't give you anything. that's all you do ... for hours drive back and forth between your house and the next job.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
I think it should be mentioned that there are not just white people in the game. There are also black people who you only ever see shooting at you, getting beaten up by you, beating you up, buying drugs from you, or getting "comically" shot in the face for being too uppity.

I get that people could see there being some racism against Irish or even Italian people, but they basically have a respectable amount of power and come into these fights eyes open. The black people get shot or beaten up whether they attack you or not if they come up in the storyline, and the best they get off is buying heroin from you in a cutscene.

Racism is a pretty amazing force, isn't it?

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
with some points i agree.. but i thought the missions were good, and the story was awesome and very immersive..

But looses some points in the fact that there is almost none sidemissions and other crazy stuff to do.. Like in Saints Row 2..
And there is a lack of free roam unless you do it in a mission.. But as far as i've read, the Jimmy's vendetta DLC takes care of some of those points..

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I've been waiting for this review for a long time because I suspected that Yahtzee would find its atmosphere to be rather impressive. That's what I thought before I played the demo, anyway. After that, I didn't think that this would be a "brilliant game" and was just waiting for a funny review. That is what I got. :)

LtWiesel

Jul 26, 2010
Jedi Sasquatch said:
wooty said:
I'm still perched on the fence about whether to buy this one or not, and this review hasnt really helped me to jump to either side.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes Yahtzee tends to miss the good aspects of games.
You watch zp to decide if you buy a game? I just watch it for fun and fun it was^^ Otherwise you end up with maybe 3 games in 5 years, excellent games at least.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
phoenix352 said:
nope... all you got is your main story line and the ability to drive .... thats it.
you can steal cars and smash them in the junk yard for cash or rob stores, either way you probably get the police on you and then its an annoying situation where you either kill every one that sees you or drive away and have the cops on your tail then you need to go through the trouble of changing clothes again and again so police doesn't suspect you. there's like one ramp in the whole city where you can jump it but doesn't give you anything. that's all you do ... for hours drive back and forth between your house and the next job.
Well, that's me certainly not buying it. Sounds really boring :p

Fusionxl

Oct 25, 2009
Bud the Wise said:
Quick question, who is that one guy in each of the new ZP videos? I have no clue who he is nor was it ever explained but it is a real face of some dorky guy in each of the new videos. His face shows up even if it isn't needed or warrented. Thats fine and all, but who is he?
Yahtzee uses the image to express blandness, normality and regular grey mass everyday Joes. The photo was taken by some fairly unknown photographer of one of their family members ( or at least that's what the theme was ).

I honestly cannot remember who the person was, but to be honest, it doesn't really matter either :)