Zero Punctuation: Mafia II

hoov

Jan 21, 2009
Strong episode this week. Though I do wonder if you lifted the pretty cars and fast women joke from "A bit of fry & laurie"

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
I completely agree about the freedom it gives you. The game could've been awesome if there was more you do in free roam.

I also liked the ending, that was

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Mafia II is an anright game. Not great nor shit! It lacks what other sandbox games have, lots of gameplay. Sure you fight in Sicily during WWII, avoid getting raped in prison and pretty much become part of the family and wack people. But the game just ends very fast and abruptly. Theres side missions, not many or them,there also not very interesting and you never get to play the god damm things! Killing people is fun in this game, but theres only one way to do it! What about the occasional sniping and carbombs? And the AI, surprise surprise is awful! Bad guys just seem to run into your line of fire, mistaking it for candy or something? Now I know why the Mafia died out, they mistaked bullets for sugar coated heaven.
Some of you may think I'm being too harsh on the game, well I'm not. As a kid most of you wanted to be a cowboy or a astronaut. I wanted to be a mafia hitman. When I brought this game I thought there no way 2K can screw up a mafia game for me... but they did! For christs sake they made Bioshock! Well differrent makers, maybe those czech are too wasted on cheap vodka to make a decent game and not wasted enough to make a great game. And then, I remembered they made Bioshock 2... That had more leaks and holes in the story line itself, than Rapture.
Today, it seems like all games have to be sandboxed based. Mafia II is like Wolfenstein (2009), they put too much effort into making you roam around... BUT YOU HAVE NOT REASON TO ROAM AROUND, DUE TO THE FACT THERE IS NOTHING TO FIND. Also there both 'safe' games. They don't try anything new, it just looks around and coping whats going on, as if its a student during an exam and forgot to study... like me. Mafia II is like GTA4 crashed its badly controlled car into the Godfather! (Not the original, more like the 2nd one) And the end result is just average. Your sidekick is equally stupid and drunk as that guy in GTA4, that you have to pretty much be this taxi and take him to eat.
Now I can on for days tear apart Mafia II, like the story line is alright, though is bloody predictable, of course that mouthy gun tooting teenager gets killed and whenever that happens someone gets pissy and mows down a bunch of chinks.
I'll stop now.
There really isn't that much to the game. Killing people is basic, though entertaining. Soundtrack is fantastic. Driving is fun and losing cops is 'evener' better. Your environment constantly changes. And most of all, They don't rip off The Godfather. I don't advise buying Mafia II, hell no! I made that mistake. Hire it out instead and spend the money on food and electrity, unless you (still) live with your parents.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Bud the Wise said:
Quick question, who is that one guy in each of the new ZP videos? I have no clue who he is nor was it ever explained but it is a real face of some dorky guy in each of the new videos.
Does this [/forums/jump/18.182077.5394427] answer your question?

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Sturmdolch said:
Nice for entertainment, but like most of the reviews for this game, not really a review.

Think of it like going into Zelda: Wind Waker and critiquing it on it's puzzle abilities because it had a sliding puzzle. It gets a 6/10 because the puzzle was simple and there was only one. Reservoir Dogs gets a 4/10 because it's a shitty action movie. Machete gets 5.5/10 because it didn't hold up as a romance film. Get my drift?

Same idea when you critique Mafia II based on its open world environment and limitations. It's a simulation game, not a sandbox game. It simulates the life of Vito, a gangster in 1940s and 50s America. You want side missions? Why would Vito be doing side missions? He's a made man. Like hell is he racing around, doing dirty jobs for someone other than who he's told to do jobs for, or doing pretty much anything else. I'd say the trash compactor and robbing grocery stores is kind of lame in that respect; it should have only been included in that one mission where you have to get $27k.

As I usually say when I post a comment on these videos, I wouldn't mind so much if people took the "reviews" as what they are: entertainment. But the problem is that there's much more sheep on this site that take these as fact than there are people who can think for themselves.
I think the problem here is that the game felt like a sandbox game. Looked like a sandbox game. Was made similar to other games that were sandbox games. But wasn't one. However short of an interview with the designers of the game one wouldn't know that ahead of time. Thanks for calling people sheep though. Ya know that's always nice.

codernator

Apr 3, 2009
I know Yahtzee thought the scenery boring, but I think it's rather nice and a great step forward from the brown and grey bland-o-vision of the general FPS genre. Indeed, it's a perfect setting for a rampage style game, which must be why you can't do a bloody thing in it. They wouldn't want you to fuck up their hard work.

I want to request that sandbox games stop featuring driving sequences. Without a real driving interface, the cars invariably control like pile of bricks on a skateboard. Even the racing games that specialize in driving suck balls without a race wheel. Likewise, the mouse is not an appropriate control for fighter planes (harking back to the BF1942 days).

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
Huh... my Godfather gave me an Erector-set, but after a year I lost a Quaker of all the pieces and all I could build was a Trolley :(

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
Lol, dont mean to be a wiseass here but on every forum ive seen before this review, anybody talking about mafia 2 said "Well not sandbox game has to be non-linear" and defending it with stuff like that, and now people are saying "totally agree, the game was meh." or "the game was shit".

Talk about being a little hypocritical.

Dave Green

Jul 21, 2010
I don't know if anyone else did it, (or if he even read it) but I messaged him 10 days ago telling him to review it.

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
Dave Green said:
I don't know if anyone else did it, (or if he even read it) but I messaged him 10 days ago telling him to review it.
Welcome to the escapist, and since your new here, you shouldn't know that it takes about 3 weeks after he makes a review for it to actually to be posted.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
Extra props to Yahtzee this week for referencing "Bugsy Malone". I watched it as a kid and thought it pretty cool what with the mobster-setting being played out by kids (one of whom was Scott "Chachi" Baio!)

I played through the demo a couple of times and rather liked how it felt, that you weren't the super-soldier type (despite coming from a soldier background, if I recall correctly) so you couldn't just stand there taking bullets in the face all day. Cover-fire seemed decently done and, again, since I didn't want to be killed outright seeking refuge behind chest-high walls & pillars seemed the smart thing to do. I'll wait to pick this one up, though, as it didn't grab me enough to pay full-ticket for the ride (and I did find the hidden Playboys a bit senseless, do we get to see any nude characters in the game or just the Playboy bits?)

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Haha, interesting.

The problem /w Mafia 2 for me was also the random ending. Didn't like it at all.

That said, my brother liked the game as a whole

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Nice "Return to Blue". I didn't even notice the transition until I looked at the ZP Videos list directly.

A criminally-centric sandbox game...hmm. I think I've seen this before!

Methinks the only reason we see so many criminal-centric sandbox games is to remove most ethical/moral consequence as a result of the player going on a rampage.

"License to kill" = "License to Lunacy"?