Zero Punctuation: Mass Effect 2

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
I've heard you complain about this before. Hideously verbose? The only line in Mass Effect 1 or 2 which is verbose is "I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions", and I'm fairly sure they were taking the piss with that line. I can't think of a single other line that could be considered verbose.
Your confusing what verbose means. What I'm complaining about is the sheer length of the dialog, now I love words and reading but Bioware just seems to confuse quantity with quality in terms of writting.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Axolotl said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
I've heard you complain about this before. Hideously verbose? The only line in Mass Effect 1 or 2 which is verbose is "I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions", and I'm fairly sure they were taking the piss with that line. I can't think of a single other line that could be considered verbose.
Your confusing what verbose means. What I'm complaining about is the sheer length of the dialog, now I love words and reading but Bioware just seems to confuse quantity with quality in terms of writting.
Verbose can have several meanings. It can mean that something uses an excess of words, but it can also mean that the writing uses overly flowery or ornate words (thanks, Wikipedia!). I assumed you meant the latter because in a previous post you said the game used purple prose which definitely does refer to the meaning I was thinking of. Also, to argue with your second point, high quantity does not necessarily mean low quality, and to complain about the quantity of dialogue simply indicates that this is not the kind of game that would interest you anyway. Conversations in the game aren't even that long anyway unless you sit around using the 'Investigate' option over and over again. Of course, conversations probably would take quite a long time if you had to explain everything which is common knowledge to someone while you were talking to them.

mafiahobo

Feb 18, 2010
suprising you litirally could only find 2 bad things for the game. this means its a good games guy and well yes scanning palnets is boring but you don't have to scan every planet or ugrade every weapons ect. and yes you never really need to control charactes if you have difficulty less than the hardest

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
Also, to argue with your second point, high quantity does not necessarily mean low quality,
No but often it's an indicator, the characters in Bioware games I've seen use lots of words to say very little often repeating redundant information and with large ammounts of padding in their dialog.

and to complain about the quantity of dialogue simply indicates that this is not the kind of game that would interest you anyway.
Why not? I love RPGs I think Planescape Torment was one of the best games of all time. I can handle lots of text, but not when its badly done.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
Igen said:
Odjin said:
What use is a story which is decently written but the game mechanics suck major balls? Exactly... NOTHING!
A visual novel that makes you work for it?
Visual novels suck. Pseudo-choice in a otherwise static story... and in general lame stories.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
Sexy Guy said:
Odjin said:
What use is a story which is decently written but the game mechanics suck major balls? Exactly... NOTHING!
Try out Silent Hill 2 and tell me that.
Stay to my word: story with no game mechanics is useless. Then I can go watch a movie and can chew pop-corn while doing so.

badoli

Jun 4, 2008
Odjin said:
Sexy Guy said:
Odjin said:
Try out Silent Hill 2 and tell me that.
Stay to my word: story with no game mechanics is useless. Then I can go watch a movie and can chew pop-corn while doing so.
Game mechs suck balls? Man, with your expectations you should stop playing video games at all...

gothic wolf

Jan 10, 2010
LOL another funny review...kinda.
but anyways on a completely random note that has nothing to do with this, please say ur gonna review no more heroes 2: desperate struggle. and before i get any stupid comments in one of your arcticles or whatever, yes i am fanboy get over it.

feversk

Jul 20, 2009
Just seen it. Was a bit short, wasn't it...?

And yet again, Yahtzee raises the same points of criticism in a game as me. Weird.
ME2 is an awesome game, yet still...

And I thought that playing Infiltrator ("the sniper") was extremely cool in ME2. You all have to try it some day.

viperthejedi

Jan 19, 2010
LornMind said:
Heh. Not bad. Not particularly hilarious, but he makes some good points. But really, no more surface exploration? Aww.
Found the review pretty meh too. Wasn't that funny. I agree with him on most his points though but it's the same little complaints everyone has been having. ME2 is a great game.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
romxxii said:
"why did you have to fight the geth when at that point, the virus had reformatted all heretic geth into regular geth, which means Legion could've just told them to stand down?"
The geth were being tortured by Tali's father. They were fighting in self-defense. Or if that doesn't satisfy you, just say that quarian ships are insulated against outside signals and the heretic geth on the ship never got reformatted.

romxxii said:
And lemme tell ya folks, no matter how smart, funny and intelligent a girl may be, if you fall in love before seeing at least 70% of her face, you may be in for a rude awakening.
I would never fall in love with a girl without seeing her face in real life. I think people are assuming that under that mask is not a Lovecraftian monstrosity. And you don't see Shepard vomit and his eyes melt when Tali takes off the mask, right? Although that relationship would never work long-term if she has to shoot herself up with antibiotics every time you want to get busy.

theseal

Nov 20, 2009
I was surprised when I watched this. I thought Yatzhee was going to rip ME2 a new on. In my mind it was almost a Yatzhee's guide to hating a video game. I was for sure he was going to mention quick time event like things or the regerating health. Still really funny as always.

littlerudi08107

Sep 23, 2009
Sexy Guy said:
littlerudi08107 said:
f3niks said:
littlerudi08107 said:
I knew it, overblown bland piece of shit just like the first one.
Wait, you actually use Yahtzee's videos to determine whether or not you are going to buy a game?
Well, for the most part Yahtzee thinks how I do. Also the first Mass Effect sucked. I'm gonna rent the game just to see it for myself. But I won't buy it, like I did the first one, it's currently sitting on my shelf collecting dust.
Wait...

Yahtzee did'nt say this game was a piece of shit. He just said that the gameplay aspect was a bit off kilter like the first but everything else was solid.
I know he didn't say it was shit, I said it was shit. It's just that the first Mass Effect did alot of things that ticked ME off personally. Boring combat, dull characters (except for Wrex, Joker, Liara, and that floating red jelly thing), A pointless exploration aspect, and awful vehicle sections. Also I was under the impression that it was something exciting and new, but it was about as bland and dry as that Star Trek remake. I expected KOTOR but all I got was Adventure Quest.

It's a shame too 'cause I loved KOTOR and I thought the combat would be more like that but without jedi. Sadly it wasn't, and the whole 3rd person shooter gameplay was repetetive and boring.

Kryzantine

Feb 18, 2010
zungerman090 said:
So did he like it or not? The only things he was angry about seemed to be resource mining and difficulty.
Yahtzee generally likes a lot of the games he reviews. And of course, some of the games he hasn't reviewed, although I would really like him to do a formal review of KOTOR sometime just to hear his praise and criticism.

As for ME2, I was more hateful of the lack of variety in weaponry than anything else. Any so-called RPG which has less unique weapons or tools than levels you can acquire is just scraping the line. I understand that Bioware may be a little tired of RPGs, and this is the first somewhat-action-oriented game they've done in 15 long years, but you don't need to sacrifice combat mechanics to give the players a little more choice in what they can use. That said, I didn't have too many other problems with the game; Bioware's writing is superb as always, and the characters are far more interesting than their counterparts from the first game. I just think it's a problem that it's not as much of an RPG as it could be.

As for the somebody who talked about Planescape and Bloodlines.... first off, I would disagree with Bloodlines being a good story, but that's me. Planescape was a really good game, excellent story, but a part of that stems from the D&D universe it takes place in. It's a lot easier to simply expand onto a certain area than it is to create an entirely new one, and Bioware did a tremendous job in themselves in creating both the Dragon Age universe (which will no doubt garner criticism, people will say, "Oh, but DA is just a copycat of Tolkien and steals from too many outside sources, how could it be its own universe?"; but really, there is a mountain of unique intellectual property under the thin crust covering it that represents the basic premise) and Mass Effect. The last time Bioware had the opportunity to build on an existing universe, we got the best RPG of the decade and the best Star Wars property in the last 2 decades.

I feel that story is a word that's used inappropriately in the modern age. People see the words, "good story" and immediately assume that it means, "good plot". A story is more than plot: you have characters, settings, conflicts, points of view, themes, etc. While Planescape may have a better plot, persay, it doesn't necessarily have a better story (with slight emphasis on -er; it's still an amazingly good story in itself). Take KOTOR, a game with an excellent plot in itself (it's mired in cliche, but the jaw-dropping plot twist you will never see coming rectifies that a fair bit), but it's really sold by its character, its paradigms, and its primary issue with good vs evil. Those are the things that give it a better story than something like Planescape.

Look, though; the best RPG ever, if you actually look at the whole title (Role Playing Game), must be Fallout or Fallout 2. Any game which limits your conversation options to hurs and grrs based on your character's intelligence level deserves the title.