Zero Punctuation: Mass Effect 2

Shydrow

Feb 8, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Shydrow said:
MiracleOfSound said:
I never really get why Yahtzee complains about games being too easy when there are multiple difficulty settings.

He should try not issuing commands to the AI on Insanity and see how far he gets...
I feel like your a fanboy
That's a good one. Took ya a while to think that one up did you?

Bet you giggled with excitement at the thought of unleashing your astounding wit onto me.

All it was missing was a 'pwnd' at the end and it would have been the cleverest post ever seen on the Escapist.

Anyway...

Someone disagrees with a reviewer so they're a fanboy. Nice logic.

A fanboy of what exactly? Mass Effect? Zero Punctuation? Proper spelling?

It's 'you're', with an apostrophe.
YOUR a fan of the game YOR playing on insane. Unless you hate the game there is no point in arguing the fact your a fanboy of it. If i got a chance i would be a fan also.

Enough about how i did that to bug U lets point out your argument and how you never use it to make reviews [if we can still call these reviews] Why would he play on the hardest difficulty to review the game? Thats not only useless to the review but also makes it harder to review cause you have to think "Well since the avarage joe plays normal mode almost 70% [not real figure] of the time i wonder what its like on that difficulty?" as he gets killed by the geth

littlerudi08107

Sep 23, 2009
f3niks said:
littlerudi08107 said:
I knew it, overblown bland piece of shit just like the first one.
Wait, you actually use Yahtzee's videos to determine whether or not you are going to buy a game?
Well, for the most part Yahtzee thinks how I do. Also the first Mass Effect sucked. I'm gonna rent the game just to see it for myself. But I won't buy it, like I did the first one, it's currently sitting on my shelf collecting dust.

UAProxy

Sep 11, 2009
romxxii said:
And lemme tell ya folks, no matter how smart, funny and intelligent a girl may be, if you fall in love before seeing at least 70% of her face, you may be in for a rude awakening.
As someone who romanced Tali for the hell of it, I will say that I half expected Shepard to take her mask off, go "AH JESUS CHRIST" and put it back on.

Pissant65

Nov 10, 2009
Its a good game but more than half of it is devoted to acquiring team mates and putting the Ol'Shephard Charm on each one. Also i was wondering is Yahtzee knew that there were sometime tiny little side quests explored on a planet every so often when resource mining, but seriously the mining mini-game is the like being stabbed in the face. Good Review :p

zungerman090

Nov 18, 2009
So did he like it or not? The only things he was angry about seemed to be resource mining and difficulty.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
As always, great review, I agree that they shouldn't have put in those bloody planet surveyings

UnhallowedDeceit

Jan 28, 2010
Great stuff as always. It's a great game but it fell into a few problem areas sadly (the planet surveyings were annoying, I almost wished they brought back that bounce rocket the Mako).

yzzlthtz

May 1, 2008
Quite good. I thought I'd playthrough this game a few times, but the resourcing mining, along with realizing that most combat was pretty samey, prevented that.

sramota

Aug 1, 2009
Good writing? Err... Let's talk about LEGION...
That plot hole is big enough to nearly have enough room for Molyneux Crazy Ideas

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Suskie said:
Wow, people really refuse to give resource mining a break, don't they? Not that I'm surprised Yahtzee would spend 80% of the review complaining about something you can just skip altogether.
If you skip the mining you get almost no upgrades and ultimately fail.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Shydrow said:
Why would he play on the hardest difficulty to review the game?
You should probably try and work on your comprehension abilities, because you seem to have completely missed the point.

The point was not "He should play on insanity." but "If you're finding a game too easy, you should up the difficulty rather than complaining. Complaining that a game is too easy is only justified when you're playing on the hardest difficulty the game has."

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
tharwen said:
Suskie said:
Wow, people really refuse to give resource mining a break, don't they? Not that I'm surprised Yahtzee would spend 80% of the review complaining about something you can just skip altogether.
If you skip the mining you get almost no upgrades and ultimately fail.
Getting almost no upgrades would have solved the problem of the game being too difficult, and while I can't be sure, I'd say there are at least enough mineral drops in the on-foot sections to take care of the three ship upgrades needed to get the best ending. And even if not, then a couple of characters die and you don't get the best ending. You can still beat the game and have Shepard survive so long as you're doing the loyalty missions.

It's called "the best ending" for a reason; you have to WORK for it.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Doug said:
ramik81 said:
You know if you sex up Tali, in the next game she's going to contract an virus and die from a poor immune system...right?

lol
Nope. And you know Quarians can't get virus's from humans, right? Only from Turians.
"So the he says: 'Oh, it's okay, our amino acids are all different, so it's not like wew can get diseases or anything if we go natural... So then I had to explain all about cross species fluid contact. Completely killed the mood."

Quoted from a Quarian. I know someone already mentioned this and you then responded to them, but I wanted to give the proper quote in full anyway.

Axolotl said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Anyway, clarification of communication aside, I'm curious as to which current RPG has writing and character development that exceeds that of this game or Dragon Age Origins. Yes, some of BioWare's constructs tend to be a bit on the formulaic side, but if a formula works you don't necessarily need to reinvent it every time you head into your design meeting.
There's not much current gen stuff admittidly but Troika and Black Isle games put Bioware to shame espcially Planescape and Bloodlines.

The key problem I have with Bioware's dialog is that not only does the player have little control over a conversation but everything is hideously verbose. I'm reminded of second rate fantasy novels that dom their best to emulate LotR but just fall short, and given where Bioware started I strongly suspect that those sort of books are the root of Bioware's style.
I've heard you complain about this before. Hideously verbose? The only line in Mass Effect 1 or 2 which is verbose is "I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions", and I'm fairly sure they were taking the piss with that line. I can't think of a single other line that could be considered verbose.

Limitedmoon06 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
I never really get why Yahtzee complains about games being too easy when there are multiple difficulty settings.

He should try not issuing commands to the AI on Insanity and see how far he gets...
@MiracleOfSound: I agree with Yahtzee here. Playing a game on "Normal" difficulty should result in an experience that is reasonably challenging to a first time player without becoming overwhelming. Both "Mass Effect" games actually suffer from their non-linear game play in this aspect. Situations do not become harder or easier (i.e. add or remove enemies, change environmental factors, etc.) depending on your level, which gives the game difficulty a very "flat" feel.
This would be a good point where it not for the fact that you can change difficulty at any time, so if it bothers you that the basic level is too easy, you can turn it up at any time.

Eerikki

Nov 19, 2009
Nice review. I'm still balancing between buying and not buying. The first Mass effect left a bad taste in my mouth, since it didn't matter whether the player was a saint or an asshole. Either way Shepard ended up saving the galaxy and everyone loving him.

btw, has Yahtzee ever reviewed a game that doesn't have horrible driving sections? All the games he reviews seem to have vehicle sections where the car/chopper/space shuttle/submarine acts "like a fat man on a unicycle."

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
Doug said:
ramik81 said:
You know if you sex up Tali, in the next game she's going to contract an virus and die from a poor immune system...right?

lol
Nope. And you know Quarians can't get virus's from humans, right? Only from Turians.
"So the he says: 'Oh, it's okay, our amino acids are all different, so it's not like wew can get diseases or anything if we go natural... So then I had to explain all about cross species fluid contact. Completely killed the mood."

Quoted from a Quarian. I know someone already mentioned this and you then responded to them, but I wanted to give the proper quote in full anyway.
Fair enough - I had heard that one in game (and yes, the whole conversation is pure win!)

"erm, excuse me human - Pri-vate Con-ver-sation"
"Humans are so rude" XD